Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale - Smithwick's Brewery / Irish Ale Breweries Ltd

Ireland

Irish Red Ale |  4.30% ABV

Now brewed here:
 http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profi ... /209/52083

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-08-2002)
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

amber colour with lace, only a bit of head. Light mouthfeel, creamy and on dry side. Not much taste, but quaffable, in fact quite smooth. Good amount of malt and some carmel. Decent aftertaste though drying. Session ale. Whiff of roast in aroma. 440 ml.

Sammy, Feb 21, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -0.3%

16 oz can poured into my Samuel Smith Pint glass. The beer is a nice amber with a thick and creamy tan head. It is a looker.

it has a nose of light malts, a hint of toffee and a bit red apple.

Lightly roasted malts and a bit of caramel in the taste. It is slightly sweet and not overly complex.

The mouth is creamy but thin.

I don't mind having one once in awhile, but it is not a beer I actively seek out.

Redrover, Today at 07:13 PM
3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Chucker17, Yesterday at 06:47 PM
4.75/5  rDev +37.3%

The_Stav, Tuesday at 02:48 AM

speedvagen, Monday at 11:55 PM
4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Srecko, Sunday at 08:11 PM

Aroma and flavor is caramel malts, mild fruit and nitro/creamy finish. Not bad but probably would have been a little better without the nitro.

jzlyo, Saturday at 11:03 PM
3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

sawwsea, Nov 18, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

drdiesel9483, Nov 16, 2014

Bis4beer70, Nov 09, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Tried it with the Guinness Variety pack a few days ago. 440ml Served in a glass.
Note: I have never had an irish cream draught before, so I may be shooting in the dark with this one.

I actually enjoyed this beer quite a bit. It is very, very smooth and goes down easy. A pleasing caramel color with about 2 fingers of foam.

Definately has the draught characteristics and same smell as well. Smells alot like Guinness, maybe not as potent.

The taste is very smooth and the best way to describe it is 'creamy'. Has a nice body and well-balanced. Nothing really sticks out to me.

The mouth is also a smooth a full flavor. Not carbonated at all, almost like flat beer but sweet instead of bitter. Not gassy at all either.

Overall,

I think this is a enjoyable choice. I could see myself grabbing some of these for the holidays as it kind of reminds me of the consistency of light eggnog (not the taste). Definately better than the Winter Spirit I reviewed and has a lot more going for it as far as appearance, body, and complex flavors. Not everyone may like it, but definately is a nice change if you want to try something different. Cheers.

Cayce, Nov 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I had this beer the first time when I was in Spain. I think that was the case anyway. I remember it was nectar of the gods in those days. But then again I was just a student and had not had all that much exposure to fantastic beers at that point in my life. Since then I had been searching for this beer with no luck. Then the other day I totally stumbled upon this Irish Discovery Pack and could not believe my eyes when I saw that this was included in it. I did a double take. Really!

Appearance: Red clear beer with a nice creamy off white head that stays until the last drop is consumed. The color is a bit unusual, it definitely has red hues to it but, it almost has a copper brown shade going on. It changes a bit in the light. And it changes depending on the type of light.

Aroma: Not a lot going on. Hardly anything. Very mild ale aroma, if that is even a good description.

Taste: Creamy, love the texture, I guess that is what turned me on to this beer to begin with. Its a lot like Smithwicks, but think of that in a nitro form. Its not an overwhelmingly flavorful beer, but I am giving it points for its enjoyability and nostalgia.

Overall: This is not really a spectacular beer. I have had a lot of better beers, A LOT, but this one allows me to wax nostalgic. Its better than a lot of beers out there but if I had just had this one for the first time it would honestly get probably a 3.5 or 3.75, but I am biased based upon a youthful tromp through Europe when I drank this beer many years ago. It still good. If you can find it try it for yourself. I wish they would make it more readily available in this part of the USA, I would buy it more often for sure.

humuloner22, Nov 07, 2014
3.86/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: translucent dark caramel, rich creamy beige head, spike-topped, sheeted lacing
S: nutty, malty, mild
T: malt and caramel, toasted, woody
M: med-full bodied, smooth with light carbonation, dry
O: delicious toasted red

RandomExile, Oct 26, 2014

deadliest, Oct 19, 2014

Nothing special. Kind of tasteless.

ajmartin329, Oct 11, 2014