Christmas Ale 2009 - Back Road Brewery

Baltic Porter |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: alleykatking on 01-05-2010

Reviews by aasher:
4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was working when the owners of the brewery delivered this. They told me it was a Cranberry Porter and it's delicious. This is the last of my 12oz bottles and I saved it for a special occasion. It pours a dark, dark brown with a light khaki head. It smells both rich and complex, the cranberry is delightfully present. The taste is mindblowingly delicious. The cranberry and coffee flavor is nothing like I've had before. It's probably the most delicious porter I've ever had. What a beer. They should bottle this cranberry porter year round. The mouthfeel is all I could want from a porter. It is so drinkable it's insane. The closest comparison is to Three Floyds' Alpha Klaus. This is amazing and I wish the nation could share it.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle. This years Christmas brew was a Cranberry Baltic Porter.

A- Pours a nice deep brown color. When held to the light there is some light red hues on the sides of the glass. One finger off white/light tan head. Light lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a nice roasted malt upfront in the aroma that I enjoy a lot. Some coffee notes are in there as well. The cranberry is a little muted for my nose. A light sweet caramel presence is there as well which mixes well with the cranberry.

T- Good roasted malts on the front end of this beer. Light caramel taste in the middle with some light hints of coffee as well. The cranberry kind of sticks around the back end of this beer and only comes through at the end.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good with the style. Roasted malts and a light sweetness was all that stuck to the palate and the aftertaste. Clean tasting thru and thru.

D- This was a good beer to have had. Nothing screams perfect or amazing but for what it is I really enjoyed it. I'll have to make a trip to Back Road here soon.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Christmas Ale 2009 from Back Road Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.