Malheur 12° - Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV

Malheur 12°Malheur 12°

good

Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Malheur 12° Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

GJ40, Jan 22, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

XmnwildX12, Dec 13, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

From notes 10-2-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, can't see any highlights in this beer, no light seems able to pass through it. Head is tan in color, creamy in texture and has great retention and formation qualities. An oddity that I can see is that some yeast from the bottom of the bottle is suspended in the middle of the glass. I'm not talking about small particles, that seems quite normal to me. These are a few larger chunks that have yet to settle. In my previous expereince all others where yeast has made it in has sunk within the time that it has taken me to dictate aroma and eye, this one however seems to be content just lingering in purgatory...right in the middle of my glass. I find it odd that the yeast didn't break up when poured, no haze, just a few large chunks, not a flaw but quite interesting as this is the first time I've ever seen this. Lacing is quite nice, leaving sheets and rings.

Nose: Very potent aroma, before the glass is even close to my nose I can smell, tons of dark malt-chocolaty mainly and some roasted grain. Alcohol jumps out too. On closer inspection, with my nose in the glass: Oak, vanilla, bourbon. The first three words that came to mind. The aroma really reminds me quite a bit like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout- in the aspect of the dark malts. Hints of coconut. At first what was so potent is now weaker, harder to detect.

Tongue: Odd flavor here, my first thoughts are medicinal and grape. Kinda reminds me of grape cough syrup. I don't know why, maybe its just the odd concoction of flavor and alcohol that does it but I'm not going to be able to get past that now. Its especially noticable in the aftertaste-whilst being swallowed and after. It isn't bad, but if you ask me the taste is much too thin, not much substance to it. Some chocolate in there, but really the flavor of this beer, the taste seems much too watery. After drinking the 10 I was hoping for much of the same intracacy and complexity, but alas not here. Disappointing. I'm not really looking forward to finishing this one... but I will.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Overall thin and watery if you ask me. Anything coming from Belgium should be much heartier. This is one that I'll not ever buy again, I'm glad I didn't waste money on a four-pack of this, I'm glad that I received this as a free sample. Just not anywhere near to par in my book. It just doesn't cut it as any type of beer, too much cough syrup going on in here.

becktone, Nov 09, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

11.2 oz bottle poured in a Pilsner glass, 10-21-11

A: Thick tan head with big, coke like bubble. Poured like a four finger head with several minutes of retention, clearly well carbonated. Coloration is a dark reddish brown, opaque.

S: The first thing you notice about this beer. Fruity tones, possibly cherry or orange. Very strong and sharp smelling. You can smell how dark it is. Total mismatch for the flavoring for me.

T: Dark coffee or burnt sugar sort of flavor. Very bitter. I'm getting coffee overtones more than anything. I don't like coffee.

M: Thick and smooth, the way a beer that tastes like this should feel.

Murrhey, Oct 22, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

Malheur 12° | 330 ml. | 12% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV
Style: Quadrupel (Quad)
Glass: Ommegang chalice

"This classically prune-colored Belgian quad seethes with bubbling energy. An alcoholic nose gives way to some of the dark fruits that unfold upon tasting. Carbonation is almost too vicious, and the dry taste of alcohol crowds out the fermented fruits and candi sugar that typically define the style."
-RA

Appearance:
Prune body streaked with auburn highlights beneath a speckled khaki dome.

Aroma:
Mostly alcohol and hints of dark fruit. Could be plums and dates, but I can't really make it out.

Taste:
The assertive label says it all: it's a brute force brew that sacrifices complexity for a brash abv profile. The finish is clean, but slightly bitter and unsatisfying.

Mouthfeel:
Somewhat thin, but a little swish in the mouth might rustle up some soft foam and put the biting carbonation to work.

Harmony:
It's unfortunately skewed towards big esters at the expense of the fruity flavors that should be balancing it out. It's biggest flaw? For all the big flavors, it skimps on complexity and flavor development.

Would I get it again?:
No. Plenty of better-tasting quads to choose from.

Bottled: ?
Served: 01.01.2011

Price = $3.99 at Whole Foods

BeerNemesis, Jan 02, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

750ml bottle
Best Before 15.04.11

A- Corked and caged 750ml bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a dark brown color with a nice light tan colored head that possesses excellent retention and lacing.

S- There is a lot of dark fruits in the aroma, most notably plum and raisin. There is also hints of spices and yeast and some esters. I'm let down by the aroma, it's very faint and lacking the complexity of other beers from this style.

T- The taste like the aroma is sweet malt and dark fruits. There is some yeast in the finish with a good amount of booziness as well. Not bad, maybe the alcohol is a tad too hot. Could use some time in the cellar.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Not bad, but not excellent either. Pretty average when compared to other beers within the style. There is alcohol is way too hot in this one, it could definitely benefit from some aging.

cjgator3, Jun 19, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

Reviewed 12/15/2008 (bottle dated 25.10.10):

Pours a very dark reddish brown color body. Small off-white head head, quickly diminishing. Funky smell, sour. Dark fruits.. Creamy mouthfeel, some fizziness. Dark fruit taste Some dark chocolate/coffee taste. Some alcohol warmness.

jujubeast6000, Dec 16, 2008

mattfancett, Aug 30, 2014

Poured into a Duvel tulip, big head which held on for a while. No lacing on the glass, a dark brown color.

Very malty smell, reminds of many of the darker microbews I've had before.

Taste is like spicy apples that stays with you after swallowing.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, especially with the expectation that comes with the color and the smell.

Does a good job of hiding the strength until the bottom of the glass, which felt a little overpowered by the alcohol.

SmokinSmyth, May 22, 2011

On-tap into 20cl fest stemware at Beer Passion Weekend 2011 in Antwerp, Belgium. Reviewed from notes.

A: Three finger tan colour head of nice fluffy cream, fair thickness, and decent retention. Dark amber colour.

Sm: Amber hops. A mild scent. Maybe some darker fruit esters.

T: Amber hops, dark fruit ester hops, and bittering hops. Caramelized malt is present and well handled. Fairly complex. Decently built and balanced.

Mf: smooth and wet, with adequate coarseness to bring out the flavours. Fairly complementary of the flavours in the body.

Dr: Fair price, pretty drinkable, and low quality for the style.

kojevergas, Jun 27, 2011

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 28, 2014

A - Pours dark brown with a cap of off white head and appears bright. One of the less impressive looking Quads I've had.

S - Lot's of afterhsave, booze, and some dark fruit.

T - Aftershave is less present thank goodness, there's some booze there and a dark fruit element again. Dry finish. One of the least complex Quads I've had. Odd.

M - Full bodied, medium carbonation, really smooth. Seems appropriate.

D - The booze element needs work or somoothing out. It seems like there would be more potential in this beer after some aging but this bottle wasn't great. That said, I wouldn't mind sitting down to really work at this one given the reviews I've read.

tbeckett, Dec 12, 2010

beernads, May 08, 2013

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

TimH, May 19, 2012

Dactrius, May 07, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: A burnt sienna color (sorry, I’ve been discussing Crayola crayons, it seemed an appropriate hue) with a lot of sediment floating in the head.

S: Smells malty and spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg.

T/M: The taste is thick, almost like maple syrup, with an alcohol twinge in the finish. Now, I’ll admit, this was the last beer of many from last night so my judgement may be skewed, but this was a surprisingly smooth brew for something boasting 12% ABV.

Loosely translated from their website, the description says, “Take quiet time for you: the nice round and full taste will easily drinkable.” Assuming the broken grammar is due to structural discrepancies and that line wasn’t actually written by a southeast Asian immigrant, it’s more or less the case. If you want something strong that goes down pretty easy, this is a good choice. I just don’t recommend it after you’ve already had nine.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 21, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Deep amber-brown color, with little to no discernable head. Color is quite lovely though, quite substantive.

Heavy aroma of caramel, malts and spice, reminiscent of fine liquor. Some notes of dark fruit, such as dates and raisins, maybe some black cherry, with a perfumy undertone.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, if not a bit heavy. Nice for sipping, especially at 12% AVB. Taste was, as other BA's have noted, somehow lighter than the aroma suggested. Still quite heavy on fruit and malt, and not nearly as spicy as I'd have thought.

I'd been wrestling with buying the 750 ml bottle of the Malheur 10, and saw this variety in a 330 ml bottle and bought it instead. After reading over some of the other reviews here, I think I'll be returning for the Malheur 10 to experience the balance that this one is lacking.

This variety is definitely worth a try, though I'm not sure I'll be tempted to have another.

TheLiterati, May 11, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

I don't know if my bottle was mistreated but as far as I know its been in the fridge since Stan at Lonehill Liquor in Glendora Ca aquired it. This was a real let down. I hate to badmouth the 100,000 + users on this site but I have to say: BECAUSE A BEER IS RARE OR HARD TO FIND DOES NOT MAKE IT GOOD. I'm getting tired of all the overhyped beers that I read about that turn out to be a let down. On to the review.

The beer looked beautiful. The cork shot off the bottle quite violently and the beer foamed like crazy when it hit the glass. When it settled it was a very nice dark cherry red color that was quite clear. The head was dark tan in color and had a decent retention to it for a belgian ale.

Upon hovering my nose above the glass I discovered that the beer smells much like a cheap european lager. Carlsberg comes to mind. It was a shock to me as this is one of the most highly rated quadrupels on this site. In any case, underneath the cheap smell there was some nice dark sweet malts. There was also some alcohol present. I gave it a 3 because the little bit of quadrupel that did show up in the nose was very helpful in reminding me that this is supposed to be worth $11.99/ bottle.

The taste was kind of offensive at first. It was like mixing a bottle of St Bernardus 12 (which is one of my favorite beers of all time) with a 6 pack of some czeck pilsner. It had the light qualities of a lager and a mild hop presence. Now, because of the 12% abv and the fact that I split the whole bottle with my roomate, the flavor did improve as I worked my way down the glass. As the abv starts to set in the sweet dark fruits and dark malt flavors start to make them selves known. Not much yeast or sediment at the bottom to change the flavor much. It was noted that there is little to no alcohol flavor in this beer and so finishing the glass quickly (<10 minutes) was not a problem.

Body was medium and carbonation was suprisingly low considering how explosive the opening and pouring were. Of 1100 beers sampled now this has to be one of the biggest let downs ever. That is not to say that this isn't a good beer, because it is, but I really do not believe that this deserves the avg rating that it has.

t0rin0, Apr 04, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

cbnz, Oct 03, 2014
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bit different from their other beers, that are all golden-orange in colour. The colour of this one is dark mahogany-burgundy, with some reflexes. Big head, quite thin and compact.
The smell is nut, chocolate, almost vinaceous. Cocoa. Quite sweet (other difference between this one and the other Malheur, where the bitter is dominant). Alcohol very present.
In the taste the bitter is more evident, but even the alcool. The alcoholic impact is too strong. It warms... but the alcohol covers all the rest...
Surely a meditation beer, but maybe a little unbalanced: too bitter and too alcoholic, without a texture that can support all.
The aftertaste is bitter and sweetish caramel, and cocoa and hazelnut. And even alcohol, obviously...
Medium-high body.

stcules, Oct 26, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Wasn't really into this one at all.

Smells malty and sweet. Typical yeast aromas too. Taste was unimpressive to me. Really sweet and really thickly coats the palette. It's almost a chore to drink the whole thing. It also has a tea like taste to it, or that's how I'd describe it. Also fruity... overly to me. Alcohol is very warming, as with a 12% abv beer I suppose.

Overall, I think I'll pass on this one next time. It was just too thick for me causing a sticky sweet residue in the mouth.

Buggies, Aug 31, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

This is a pretty good beer. However, it struck me as sort of like a bock - overly cerealy with a malted milk ball sweetness. It had some nice redeeming qualities, but I couldn't get past the sweetness.

Color was dark but brilliant. Head was medium sized bubbles of consistent size, kind of like that of a macro lager. Aroma was earthy and roasty with some sourness. Flavor was sour (which was good) but offered an overly sweet unpleasantness with too much malt. Mouthfeel was clean and pretty good.

I would weakly recommend this beer. I had this bottle at Paters Vaetje ("Monk's Casket") in Antwerp.

BeerBelcher, Oct 24, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Good thing I was near my trash can for this one. A sharp fizz was my only warning upon loosing the cap, and then the beer came gushing forth! I quickly got it into a glass, but there's little excuse for this sort of thing. Pity, too... beer went to waste! So, proceed with caution.

A. Crackling and fizzy tan head that fades fast atop a dirty, chunky clear red-brown. Lots of sediment in this one, and I left a bunch in the bottle, even so. Lower points here for gushing and generally being messy.

S. Served around 55 degrees, the first thing you notice is that dark fruit nose - fruity with dates, plums, etc - but then there's quite a bit of alcohol heat and sharpness that frankly, doesn't need to be there. It is distracting and takes away from other, much more interesting things going on. This is 12%, but does it need to smell like it? Other than booze and fruit, some dark roasted grainy character, vanilla and hops peek out, but it's all a bit useless with this much ethanol present.

T. Sadly, the booziness continues on into the taste, imparting a Robitussin-like sharpness that is quite unpleasant and doesn't mesh well with the Good Stuff: dark fruit, earthy hop notes, molasses, cocoa, rum and other eyebrow raising flavors are all here, but walloped into a pulp by the bruising booze. It's a real shame, because there is a great beer here -- I don't know if this needs aging or I got a bum bottle or what.

M. Interestingly, quite light and creamy-full. Thin for the style, but the ample carbonation (champagne yeast, right?) If this tasted better it'd be one of the easier Quads to drink out there. Finish is warm alcohol, sharp and fusel, and a little bitter-astringent, black tea like. Spicy and sweet in turns. Mildly dry and yeasty finish. Decent overall. But for the price, this should be better.

D. For the price, I wouldn't. I would like to try this again though, as I really don't think the bottle is 'sposed to blow up like it did. Maybe this was stored poorly or somesuch. In any event, this bottle of Malheur 12 is curious and has merit, but is ultimately flawed. Ahh well, you can't win 'em all.

kkipple, Jun 10, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I tried a 2003 bottle at the Kulminator in early 2006. It was poured into a Malheur goblet by Leen (co-owner of Kulminator).

It looked really nice, with an off-white foamy head and burgandy liquid filled with floating yeasties. I wanted it to smell bready and yeasty like a St Bernardus or Westvleteren beer (which I was originally expecting based on some ill-gotten advice). But it smelled like a barley-wine, which is possibly my least-favorite beer style.

The bottle said "outstanding flavor of whole hops", but I really didn't taste the hops very much at all. Mostly sweet malt flavor and a lot of alcohol.

I could barely finish 1 glass, so drinkability is low for me.

TurdFurgison, Mar 19, 2006