Malheur 12° - Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV

Malheur 12°Malheur 12°

good

Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Malheur 12° Alström Bros

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 28, 2014

A - Pours dark brown with a cap of off white head and appears bright. One of the less impressive looking Quads I've had.

S - Lot's of afterhsave, booze, and some dark fruit.

T - Aftershave is less present thank goodness, there's some booze there and a dark fruit element again. Dry finish. One of the least complex Quads I've had. Odd.

M - Full bodied, medium carbonation, really smooth. Seems appropriate.

D - The booze element needs work or somoothing out. It seems like there would be more potential in this beer after some aging but this bottle wasn't great. That said, I wouldn't mind sitting down to really work at this one given the reviews I've read.

tbeckett, Dec 12, 2010

beernads, May 08, 2013

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

TimH, May 19, 2012

Dactrius, May 07, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: A burnt sienna color (sorry, I’ve been discussing Crayola crayons, it seemed an appropriate hue) with a lot of sediment floating in the head.

S: Smells malty and spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg.

T/M: The taste is thick, almost like maple syrup, with an alcohol twinge in the finish. Now, I’ll admit, this was the last beer of many from last night so my judgement may be skewed, but this was a surprisingly smooth brew for something boasting 12% ABV.

Loosely translated from their website, the description says, “Take quiet time for you: the nice round and full taste will easily drinkable.” Assuming the broken grammar is due to structural discrepancies and that line wasn’t actually written by a southeast Asian immigrant, it’s more or less the case. If you want something strong that goes down pretty easy, this is a good choice. I just don’t recommend it after you’ve already had nine.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jun 21, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -21.6%

Deep amber-brown color, with little to no discernable head. Color is quite lovely though, quite substantive.

Heavy aroma of caramel, malts and spice, reminiscent of fine liquor. Some notes of dark fruit, such as dates and raisins, maybe some black cherry, with a perfumy undertone.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, if not a bit heavy. Nice for sipping, especially at 12% AVB. Taste was, as other BA's have noted, somehow lighter than the aroma suggested. Still quite heavy on fruit and malt, and not nearly as spicy as I'd have thought.

I'd been wrestling with buying the 750 ml bottle of the Malheur 10, and saw this variety in a 330 ml bottle and bought it instead. After reading over some of the other reviews here, I think I'll be returning for the Malheur 10 to experience the balance that this one is lacking.

This variety is definitely worth a try, though I'm not sure I'll be tempted to have another.

TheLiterati, May 11, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -20.8%

I don't know if my bottle was mistreated but as far as I know its been in the fridge since Stan at Lonehill Liquor in Glendora Ca aquired it. This was a real let down. I hate to badmouth the 100,000 + users on this site but I have to say: BECAUSE A BEER IS RARE OR HARD TO FIND DOES NOT MAKE IT GOOD. I'm getting tired of all the overhyped beers that I read about that turn out to be a let down. On to the review.

The beer looked beautiful. The cork shot off the bottle quite violently and the beer foamed like crazy when it hit the glass. When it settled it was a very nice dark cherry red color that was quite clear. The head was dark tan in color and had a decent retention to it for a belgian ale.

Upon hovering my nose above the glass I discovered that the beer smells much like a cheap european lager. Carlsberg comes to mind. It was a shock to me as this is one of the most highly rated quadrupels on this site. In any case, underneath the cheap smell there was some nice dark sweet malts. There was also some alcohol present. I gave it a 3 because the little bit of quadrupel that did show up in the nose was very helpful in reminding me that this is supposed to be worth $11.99/ bottle.

The taste was kind of offensive at first. It was like mixing a bottle of St Bernardus 12 (which is one of my favorite beers of all time) with a 6 pack of some czeck pilsner. It had the light qualities of a lager and a mild hop presence. Now, because of the 12% abv and the fact that I split the whole bottle with my roomate, the flavor did improve as I worked my way down the glass. As the abv starts to set in the sweet dark fruits and dark malt flavors start to make them selves known. Not much yeast or sediment at the bottom to change the flavor much. It was noted that there is little to no alcohol flavor in this beer and so finishing the glass quickly (<10 minutes) was not a problem.

Body was medium and carbonation was suprisingly low considering how explosive the opening and pouring were. Of 1100 beers sampled now this has to be one of the biggest let downs ever. That is not to say that this isn't a good beer, because it is, but I really do not believe that this deserves the avg rating that it has.

t0rin0, Apr 04, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bit different from their other beers, that are all golden-orange in colour. The colour of this one is dark mahogany-burgundy, with some reflexes. Big head, quite thin and compact.
The smell is nut, chocolate, almost vinaceous. Cocoa. Quite sweet (other difference between this one and the other Malheur, where the bitter is dominant). Alcohol very present.
In the taste the bitter is more evident, but even the alcool. The alcoholic impact is too strong. It warms... but the alcohol covers all the rest...
Surely a meditation beer, but maybe a little unbalanced: too bitter and too alcoholic, without a texture that can support all.
The aftertaste is bitter and sweetish caramel, and cocoa and hazelnut. And even alcohol, obviously...
Medium-high body.

stcules, Oct 26, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Wasn't really into this one at all.

Smells malty and sweet. Typical yeast aromas too. Taste was unimpressive to me. Really sweet and really thickly coats the palette. It's almost a chore to drink the whole thing. It also has a tea like taste to it, or that's how I'd describe it. Also fruity... overly to me. Alcohol is very warming, as with a 12% abv beer I suppose.

Overall, I think I'll pass on this one next time. It was just too thick for me causing a sticky sweet residue in the mouth.

Buggies, Aug 31, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

This is a pretty good beer. However, it struck me as sort of like a bock - overly cerealy with a malted milk ball sweetness. It had some nice redeeming qualities, but I couldn't get past the sweetness.

Color was dark but brilliant. Head was medium sized bubbles of consistent size, kind of like that of a macro lager. Aroma was earthy and roasty with some sourness. Flavor was sour (which was good) but offered an overly sweet unpleasantness with too much malt. Mouthfeel was clean and pretty good.

I would weakly recommend this beer. I had this bottle at Paters Vaetje ("Monk's Casket") in Antwerp.

BeerBelcher, Oct 24, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%

Good thing I was near my trash can for this one. A sharp fizz was my only warning upon loosing the cap, and then the beer came gushing forth! I quickly got it into a glass, but there's little excuse for this sort of thing. Pity, too... beer went to waste! So, proceed with caution.

A. Crackling and fizzy tan head that fades fast atop a dirty, chunky clear red-brown. Lots of sediment in this one, and I left a bunch in the bottle, even so. Lower points here for gushing and generally being messy.

S. Served around 55 degrees, the first thing you notice is that dark fruit nose - fruity with dates, plums, etc - but then there's quite a bit of alcohol heat and sharpness that frankly, doesn't need to be there. It is distracting and takes away from other, much more interesting things going on. This is 12%, but does it need to smell like it? Other than booze and fruit, some dark roasted grainy character, vanilla and hops peek out, but it's all a bit useless with this much ethanol present.

T. Sadly, the booziness continues on into the taste, imparting a Robitussin-like sharpness that is quite unpleasant and doesn't mesh well with the Good Stuff: dark fruit, earthy hop notes, molasses, cocoa, rum and other eyebrow raising flavors are all here, but walloped into a pulp by the bruising booze. It's a real shame, because there is a great beer here -- I don't know if this needs aging or I got a bum bottle or what.

M. Interestingly, quite light and creamy-full. Thin for the style, but the ample carbonation (champagne yeast, right?) If this tasted better it'd be one of the easier Quads to drink out there. Finish is warm alcohol, sharp and fusel, and a little bitter-astringent, black tea like. Spicy and sweet in turns. Mildly dry and yeasty finish. Decent overall. But for the price, this should be better.

D. For the price, I wouldn't. I would like to try this again though, as I really don't think the bottle is 'sposed to blow up like it did. Maybe this was stored poorly or somesuch. In any event, this bottle of Malheur 12 is curious and has merit, but is ultimately flawed. Ahh well, you can't win 'em all.

kkipple, Jun 10, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I tried a 2003 bottle at the Kulminator in early 2006. It was poured into a Malheur goblet by Leen (co-owner of Kulminator).

It looked really nice, with an off-white foamy head and burgandy liquid filled with floating yeasties. I wanted it to smell bready and yeasty like a St Bernardus or Westvleteren beer (which I was originally expecting based on some ill-gotten advice). But it smelled like a barley-wine, which is possibly my least-favorite beer style.

The bottle said "outstanding flavor of whole hops", but I really didn't taste the hops very much at all. Mostly sweet malt flavor and a lot of alcohol.

I could barely finish 1 glass, so drinkability is low for me.

TurdFurgison, Mar 19, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Foam spicy or salty. Nose slightly chocolaty and fruity with aromas of sweet wine more marked. The taste of alcohol and toasted malt are certainly present but they are not powerful. By cons, it is much more pungent than the others "style quad" It also feels slightly fruity (rum). The end of mouth is dry, bitter and most persistent feature of beers Malheur.

ThaCreep, Jan 03, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -15.4%

Served this 11.2 oz brown bottle in a Westmalle goblet. best before 1.04.11. Purchased for $9.99 a 4 pack. It was a dull cola color with a light tan head. There were red highlights and the body seemed to clear up quickly after settling. A fine cap remained but it left no lacing.

The smell was crisp fruitiness. Date-nut bread. Prunes and raisins.

The taste was somewhat blunted. Dark bread and vague peppercorn. However, it seem rather well balanced. Finished semi-dry.

The mouthfeel was full with a constantly blooming carbonation.

Cresant, May 21, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

A clear, burgundy red beer with a quick settling head.

Smell is full of dark flavors, caramalts, candisugar and red fruit, grapes and strawberries.

Taste is full and quite alcoholic. The beer is malty and has strong caramalt character. It reminds of dark fruit candi sugar. The beer has 12% alcohol which is nicely hidden behind it's big body. The beer is too sweet for me. All together the beer has not enough to fascinate me.

Absumaster, May 19, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Deep cherry red dark beer with a reasonable head

S: Sweet smell with the presence of caramel, light floral.

T: Sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste, chocolate

M: Good tingling, feeling much foam, tingling remains a long time.

O: Not easily drinkable, also a good beer.

DARIVA, Mar 27, 2012

ImusBeer, Jul 05, 2013

mdillon86, Mar 04, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 01, 2012

CWhite, Apr 09, 2012

ygtbsm94, Feb 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

A- Deep chocolatey brown. Head is somewhat tanned. Retention is decent, but pretty much no lacing.
S- Malty with fig and raien characteristics. Lightly spicy and just a bit of alcohol presence.
T- Taste is more pronounced. Definite fig character that is a really nice flavor. A bit of plum in there too. There is a bit of metallic character in the finish though that is undesirable.
M- More carbonated than most in style, and a bit lighter in body.
O- Merely an average quad. Decent but the metallic aftertaste and weak mouthfeel were subpar.

jsprain1, May 08, 2011