Malheur 12° - Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV

Malheur 12°Malheur 12°

good

Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Malheur 12° Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +18.9%

This gem came in a 750ml. brown, cork finished bottle with a best before end date of: 25.10.10. and 16/07 stamped on the cork. Poured into a large Duvel tulip a very dark brown with deep ruby highlights and a huge three finger beige head that turned rocky as it eventually settled. Nice carbonation and delicate lace add heaps to this awesome looking brew.

Sweet, malty and full of fruit, with a nice push from the alcohol, give a very pleasant aroma to this big ale. The flavor goes beyond the nose, with plum, apple, pear, rounded with Belgian candi sugar and hops to a perfect balance in the taste. The flavor is awesome with a nice warming from it's big 12% ABV.

Healthy body with a velvety smooth feel in the mouth give this quality ale, an all to easy to drink characteristic.

I highly recommend this one, a great Belgian!

scottoale, Mar 06, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Pours a ruddy, dark brown with about a finger of tan colored head. The head dissipates quickly. Some carbonation, that streams from the bottom of the bottle.

Smells like dark caramel, dried apricots, a little green apple freshness. Really nice aroma, especially as it warms to room temperature that lingers somewhat in your nose.

Taking a sip, very balanced flavor at the front of the tongue, with the dried apricots and candy sugars dominating. As it gets warmed by your tongue, slight hops bitterness mingles with roasted malts, and then you notice a little bit of alcohol in your throat. Nice medium body, and a long finish on your tongue to encourage the next sip.

Great after dinner beer, with its light sweetness and great mouthfeel. You do start to feel the high ABV after a few sips though.

nataku00, Aug 28, 2010

Poured a dark ruby-tinged brown in appearance with a very, very fizzy haed that quickly died. Small amounts of sticky lace on the glass. Aromas are complex. Toasty nut, almonds, vanilla extract, wrapped in a medicinal alcohol undertone. Flavor was big, with alcohol-soaked dark fruits dominating. Some caramel sweetness, with a dash of hops for good measure. Full and creamy mouthfeel, especially as it warms. Alcohol was surprisingly well-hidden, which I found amazing, given that it's a hefty 12%.

A different beer and one that I wouldn't rush out to get again. I have two others that will age for some time. I'd be curious as to how these age.

Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for including me in this shipment.

OldFrothingSlosh, Nov 14, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

From notes 10-2-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, can't see any highlights in this beer, no light seems able to pass through it. Head is tan in color, creamy in texture and has great retention and formation qualities. An oddity that I can see is that some yeast from the bottom of the bottle is suspended in the middle of the glass. I'm not talking about small particles, that seems quite normal to me. These are a few larger chunks that have yet to settle. In my previous expereince all others where yeast has made it in has sunk within the time that it has taken me to dictate aroma and eye, this one however seems to be content just lingering in purgatory...right in the middle of my glass. I find it odd that the yeast didn't break up when poured, no haze, just a few large chunks, not a flaw but quite interesting as this is the first time I've ever seen this. Lacing is quite nice, leaving sheets and rings.

Nose: Very potent aroma, before the glass is even close to my nose I can smell, tons of dark malt-chocolaty mainly and some roasted grain. Alcohol jumps out too. On closer inspection, with my nose in the glass: Oak, vanilla, bourbon. The first three words that came to mind. The aroma really reminds me quite a bit like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout- in the aspect of the dark malts. Hints of coconut. At first what was so potent is now weaker, harder to detect.

Tongue: Odd flavor here, my first thoughts are medicinal and grape. Kinda reminds me of grape cough syrup. I don't know why, maybe its just the odd concoction of flavor and alcohol that does it but I'm not going to be able to get past that now. Its especially noticable in the aftertaste-whilst being swallowed and after. It isn't bad, but if you ask me the taste is much too thin, not much substance to it. Some chocolate in there, but really the flavor of this beer, the taste seems much too watery. After drinking the 10 I was hoping for much of the same intracacy and complexity, but alas not here. Disappointing. I'm not really looking forward to finishing this one... but I will.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Overall thin and watery if you ask me. Anything coming from Belgium should be much heartier. This is one that I'll not ever buy again, I'm glad I didn't waste money on a four-pack of this, I'm glad that I received this as a free sample. Just not anywhere near to par in my book. It just doesn't cut it as any type of beer, too much cough syrup going on in here.

becktone, Nov 09, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured carefully into a chalice - a couple small pieces of styrofoam from the packing found their way into my pour, upon which I exhaled a "oh shit," and frantically fished them out with a spoon. Capped the 750 for later, as this is an awfully big beer to tackle in one sitting. Pours a cola color with a thin head, but one that seems to want to stick. Good looking quad.

I can't pick out anything too different in the nose from other quads I've tried. I want to say there's a vinous grape-bubblegum quality with a touch of smoked meat. A subtle aroma overall, but pretty damned good.

What immediately strikes me about the taste is that there's a touch more underlying hop than some quads, and that there's plenty of phenolic kick. Some sweetness up front, but the considerable alcoholic spiciness seems to want to dry it out to a really clean finish, especially for a quad. There's a tad sour/bitter thing going on here that makes me want to think of an Orval with more alcohol. The alcohol is not that well-hidden; it's out there for all to experience.

This feels surprisingly well-attenuated. I note very little residual sticky syrup; in fact, this seems to drink almost airy, far lighter than it should. For such a huge beer like this, it does not feel like one, even though alcohol presence is considerable. I think that's pretty impressive.

For a quad, this is very drinkable. I think the fact that it doesn't overload you on caramel malts and dries out well helps drinkability. One to savor and admire? Definitely.

Final verdict? While this doesn't blow my mind, it's obviously an extremely well-crafted beer. With the second pour, I swirled and dumped the yeast in for the hell of it. It doesn't seem to alter the taste much, but now I'm getting an interesting perfume-y smell coming from my chalice. Also, there's a distinct almond nuttiness in the aftertaste I'm noticing now that I didn't notice before. Glad I have a couple more bottles, as I think this one deserves further investigation. I have a feeling this is one of those beers you can't fully know in one tasting....need to relax and let the subtleties reveal themselves.

Patrick999, Jan 05, 2008

jsurfs82, Jul 31, 2012

videofrog, Apr 28, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottled in 2008. Murky dark rusty brown pour with a huge three finger head with decent retention and lacing. Sweet, malty, boozey nose with lots of brown bread and dark fruit along with hints of toffee, nuts, and subtle chocolate. The taste follows suit with rich dark fruit and sweet caramel malt along with hints of prunes, licorice, brown bread, tea, leather, subtle chocolate, and booze. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly syrupy with a surprising amount of fizzy carbonation still present for such an old beer. The boozey finish I remembered from fresher bottles has become much smoother with age. Overall, this has held up nicely in the cellar with only a slight criticism of a bit too much sweetness.

beerdrifter, Jul 09, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Hallertau, Aug 14, 2013

rekel, Dec 01, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

11.2 oz brown euro shaped bottled. Label is a busy mixmatch of a beer label, and a neoimpressionist with a ultilitarian feel. Whatever.

Deep garnet tinged murly brown color. Fluffy, creamy dense tan head, bubbles up and fades fast. Tiniest bit of lacing around the edge of the glass. Nice sweet carmel smell matched with hints of maple syrup and vanilla. Taste is a supersmooth combination of the above with stronger vanilla notes to compliment. Sweetness is very present, almost hints of maple syrup. Streak of flowery hops whispers by, and leaves you wondering. Then a carmel and sticky to finish. Alcohol is only noticable at the very very end, with just a hint of alcohol burn. Medium bodied, slick slightly syrupy but so smooth. 12 % Abv sneeks up on you, watch out, but give it a try !

StevieW, Mar 14, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Corked and caged 750.

Appearance: This is the darkest quad I've ever had thats not some sort of stout hybrid. It looks black in normal light. When you hold it to light its a dark, dark red brown with haze. The head is huge and fades slowly. The lacing is great.

Smell: It smells bready with tons of sweet, dark fruit (very raisiny). Its spicy, and definitely boozy.

Taste: Very sweet. I say a little too sweet. And hot. Very boozy. The taste, even more so than the smell is very raisiny. Lots of interesting spicy flavors, but the overly sweet, syrupy nature hurts the overall flavor. Finishes long and bready.

Mouthfeel: This is a huge, chewy monster. I love the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I dont want another now for sure. I did enjoy this quite a bit, but a whole 750 is too much for one person. This thing drinks like port, and a small serving would be better.

rapidsequence, Oct 12, 2009

ajs4bd, Sep 14, 2012

akttr, Apr 30, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at a bar overlooking a Bruges canal on a cool November Saturday afternoon.
A-Served in a chalice this brew is dirty, ruddy brown with a skimming of tan head with very nice lacing.
S-Delicious aromas of toasted malt and lots of sweet esters coming through.
T-A match for the aroma, nothing really stands out. Gets more interesting towards the bottom as the beer warms a bit.
M-For 12% ABV this is outstanding. A warming finish but not at all overpowering. Medium bodied for such a big beer.
O-A really nice beer. Fermented out this beer finishes dry with a nice estery Belgian yeast character and sweet toasted malt flavor. The strength is well hidden. Lacks the complexity in taste of a St. Bernardus or Westy quad but still an excellent beer.

deebo, Dec 01, 2012

jayhawk73, Nov 16, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

cbnz, Oct 03, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass, best before date of 10/11 so I'm near the end.

This pours a nice dark slightly hazy brown to dark red color with a large size off white head which quickly dissipates. The smells are of grapes and dark fruit with a little alcohol. The feel is medium with lots of carbonation. The taste is pretty sweet, the dark fruit, some brown sugar and the alcohol burn on the way down, but still well masked for 12%.

DavidST, Oct 25, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

750 ml bottle poured into a bolluk glass.

Pours a deep mahogany, faint light barely comes through the bottom quarter of the glass. Nice tan head that dissipates quickly. Just a sheen of head on top. Some cloudiness evident.

Aromas of sweet dark fruits, malt and a little pepper (alcohol hotness). Toffee as it warms up a bit.

first taste matches the aroma, dark fruit, dark malt, a little alcohol bite. Not syrupy at all considering the strength. No hops to speak of, but those that are there provide a nice malt forward balance. As it warms up, the toffee caramelly flavors poke through. Ever so slight hop bitterness comes through as it warms.

Mouthfeel is spritzy carbonation, and medium bodied. Coats the mouth well, but isn't sticky sweet.

Drinkability if fantastic. This is one of my favorite quads, no one of my favorite beers. I like it even better with a few years of cellaring, it becomes an amazing beer. Buy two, drink one, save one for a few years. Better yet, buy a case and try one every 4 to 6 months. Seek out this beer.

JamnesCameron, Aug 21, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

CB2maltygoodness, Apr 28, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

tripledbrew, Mar 25, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

In draft at the source. Poured into Malhuer chalice/tulip. Creamy off-white head, high retention. Dark, dark ruby, almost black. Aroma, dates, light roast, almost chocolate sweetness. Taste creamy, coffee, chocolate malty sweet, creamy goodness. Excellent. Totally delicious.

KickbacksSteve, Mar 01, 2012

Sturmthis, Aug 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

BJSmit, Feb 02, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Opened a gusher. Thankfully I got most of it to gush into the glass and ended up with a dark brown/black beer with an off white head. The foam did disappear quickly though, leaving only traces on the surface.

Smells of malt, with both dark, roasty undertones and a fair amount of sweetness.

Taste is a very unique yeasty flavor, with many fruit esters. Tastes a bit like a more sugary version of Rochefort 10 actually.

Mouthfeel is a bit disappointing; not as robust as the color would make one believe.

Really pretty drinkable for what it is. My expectations were low after tasting the ridiculously sweet Malheur 10, but I was pleasantly surprised when the sugars were only slightly overpowering in this.

philipquarles, Jul 17, 2008