Malheur 12° - Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV

Malheur 12°Malheur 12°

good

Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Malheur 12° Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured in a Pilsner glass, 10-21-11

A: Thick tan head with big, coke like bubble. Poured like a four finger head with several minutes of retention, clearly well carbonated. Coloration is a dark reddish brown, opaque.

S: The first thing you notice about this beer. Fruity tones, possibly cherry or orange. Very strong and sharp smelling. You can smell how dark it is. Total mismatch for the flavoring for me.

T: Dark coffee or burnt sugar sort of flavor. Very bitter. I'm getting coffee overtones more than anything. I don't like coffee.

M: Thick and smooth, the way a beer that tastes like this should feel.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Good thing I was near my trash can for this one. A sharp fizz was my only warning upon loosing the cap, and then the beer came gushing forth! I quickly got it into a glass, but there's little excuse for this sort of thing. Pity, too... beer went to waste! So, proceed with caution.

A. Crackling and fizzy tan head that fades fast atop a dirty, chunky clear red-brown. Lots of sediment in this one, and I left a bunch in the bottle, even so. Lower points here for gushing and generally being messy.

S. Served around 55 degrees, the first thing you notice is that dark fruit nose - fruity with dates, plums, etc - but then there's quite a bit of alcohol heat and sharpness that frankly, doesn't need to be there. It is distracting and takes away from other, much more interesting things going on. This is 12%, but does it need to smell like it? Other than booze and fruit, some dark roasted grainy character, vanilla and hops peek out, but it's all a bit useless with this much ethanol present.

T. Sadly, the booziness continues on into the taste, imparting a Robitussin-like sharpness that is quite unpleasant and doesn't mesh well with the Good Stuff: dark fruit, earthy hop notes, molasses, cocoa, rum and other eyebrow raising flavors are all here, but walloped into a pulp by the bruising booze. It's a real shame, because there is a great beer here -- I don't know if this needs aging or I got a bum bottle or what.

M. Interestingly, quite light and creamy-full. Thin for the style, but the ample carbonation (champagne yeast, right?) If this tasted better it'd be one of the easier Quads to drink out there. Finish is warm alcohol, sharp and fusel, and a little bitter-astringent, black tea like. Spicy and sweet in turns. Mildly dry and yeasty finish. Decent overall. But for the price, this should be better.

D. For the price, I wouldn't. I would like to try this again though, as I really don't think the bottle is 'sposed to blow up like it did. Maybe this was stored poorly or somesuch. In any event, this bottle of Malheur 12 is curious and has merit, but is ultimately flawed. Ahh well, you can't win 'em all.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours, for every conceivable purpose, jet black. Topped with a good-sized little dark brown head.

Aromas of dark fruit suggest a supple sweetness. Honey malt tones and a zesty alcohol whiff.

Oh my. Expected dark fruit is brighter in flavor with minor citric notes and glorious tangy sweetness giving a kind of tropical mangoish vibe. Seriously strong malt flavor with accompanying body has dense honey/molasses flavors not far removed from liquid malt extract. Then we have a fleeting alcohol bite, every bit as zesty as the aroma advertised. Secondary malt flavors are in the dry roast arena with both a woody sharpness and a powdery dullness. Stiff little bitterness grows as it warms, and the flavor levels out to display more eccentricities. The fruit element grows darker and takes on raisin characteristics. The alcohol is strong in this one.

Pretty good. It lacks the beautiful balance of Malheur 10. I was stoked when I saw this one on the shelf, but for the price of a decent wine, I have no desire to ever try it again. Again, the balance was not right on even though the flavor was little more than a trinity of fruit, malt, and alcohol. That said, I do love the experience of drinking a .75L bottle. Initial expectations & initial tastings vs. final thoughts & final feelings are always swayed by alcohol and the possible disappointment of spending too much on a bottle of 'beer'. Sometimes it is totally worth it, sometimes it is 'why'd I buy that?'. I'll stick to Malheur 10 from now on... why fix what's perfect?

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

This gem came in a 750ml. brown, cork finished bottle with a best before end date of: 25.10.10. and 16/07 stamped on the cork. Poured into a large Duvel tulip a very dark brown with deep ruby highlights and a huge three finger beige head that turned rocky as it eventually settled. Nice carbonation and delicate lace add heaps to this awesome looking brew.

Sweet, malty and full of fruit, with a nice push from the alcohol, give a very pleasant aroma to this big ale. The flavor goes beyond the nose, with plum, apple, pear, rounded with Belgian candi sugar and hops to a perfect balance in the taste. The flavor is awesome with a nice warming from it's big 12% ABV.

Healthy body with a velvety smooth feel in the mouth give this quality ale, an all to easy to drink characteristic.

I highly recommend this one, a great Belgian!

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Pours a ruddy, dark brown with about a finger of tan colored head. The head dissipates quickly. Some carbonation, that streams from the bottom of the bottle.

Smells like dark caramel, dried apricots, a little green apple freshness. Really nice aroma, especially as it warms to room temperature that lingers somewhat in your nose.

Taking a sip, very balanced flavor at the front of the tongue, with the dried apricots and candy sugars dominating. As it gets warmed by your tongue, slight hops bitterness mingles with roasted malts, and then you notice a little bit of alcohol in your throat. Nice medium body, and a long finish on your tongue to encourage the next sip.

Great after dinner beer, with its light sweetness and great mouthfeel. You do start to feel the high ABV after a few sips though.

Poured a dark ruby-tinged brown in appearance with a very, very fizzy haed that quickly died. Small amounts of sticky lace on the glass. Aromas are complex. Toasty nut, almonds, vanilla extract, wrapped in a medicinal alcohol undertone. Flavor was big, with alcohol-soaked dark fruits dominating. Some caramel sweetness, with a dash of hops for good measure. Full and creamy mouthfeel, especially as it warms. Alcohol was surprisingly well-hidden, which I found amazing, given that it's a hefty 12%.

A different beer and one that I wouldn't rush out to get again. I have two others that will age for some time. I'd be curious as to how these age.

Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for including me in this shipment.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottled in 2008. Murky dark rusty brown pour with a huge three finger head with decent retention and lacing. Sweet, malty, boozey nose with lots of brown bread and dark fruit along with hints of toffee, nuts, and subtle chocolate. The taste follows suit with rich dark fruit and sweet caramel malt along with hints of prunes, licorice, brown bread, tea, leather, subtle chocolate, and booze. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly syrupy with a surprising amount of fizzy carbonation still present for such an old beer. The boozey finish I remembered from fresher bottles has become much smoother with age. Overall, this has held up nicely in the cellar with only a slight criticism of a bit too much sweetness.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

From notes 10-2-08

Eye: Very dark brown in color, can't see any highlights in this beer, no light seems able to pass through it. Head is tan in color, creamy in texture and has great retention and formation qualities. An oddity that I can see is that some yeast from the bottom of the bottle is suspended in the middle of the glass. I'm not talking about small particles, that seems quite normal to me. These are a few larger chunks that have yet to settle. In my previous expereince all others where yeast has made it in has sunk within the time that it has taken me to dictate aroma and eye, this one however seems to be content just lingering in purgatory...right in the middle of my glass. I find it odd that the yeast didn't break up when poured, no haze, just a few large chunks, not a flaw but quite interesting as this is the first time I've ever seen this. Lacing is quite nice, leaving sheets and rings.

Nose: Very potent aroma, before the glass is even close to my nose I can smell, tons of dark malt-chocolaty mainly and some roasted grain. Alcohol jumps out too. On closer inspection, with my nose in the glass: Oak, vanilla, bourbon. The first three words that came to mind. The aroma really reminds me quite a bit like the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout- in the aspect of the dark malts. Hints of coconut. At first what was so potent is now weaker, harder to detect.

Tongue: Odd flavor here, my first thoughts are medicinal and grape. Kinda reminds me of grape cough syrup. I don't know why, maybe its just the odd concoction of flavor and alcohol that does it but I'm not going to be able to get past that now. Its especially noticable in the aftertaste-whilst being swallowed and after. It isn't bad, but if you ask me the taste is much too thin, not much substance to it. Some chocolate in there, but really the flavor of this beer, the taste seems much too watery. After drinking the 10 I was hoping for much of the same intracacy and complexity, but alas not here. Disappointing. I'm not really looking forward to finishing this one... but I will.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Overall thin and watery if you ask me. Anything coming from Belgium should be much heartier. This is one that I'll not ever buy again, I'm glad I didn't waste money on a four-pack of this, I'm glad that I received this as a free sample. Just not anywhere near to par in my book. It just doesn't cut it as any type of beer, too much cough syrup going on in here.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured carefully into a chalice - a couple small pieces of styrofoam from the packing found their way into my pour, upon which I exhaled a "oh shit," and frantically fished them out with a spoon. Capped the 750 for later, as this is an awfully big beer to tackle in one sitting. Pours a cola color with a thin head, but one that seems to want to stick. Good looking quad.

I can't pick out anything too different in the nose from other quads I've tried. I want to say there's a vinous grape-bubblegum quality with a touch of smoked meat. A subtle aroma overall, but pretty damned good.

What immediately strikes me about the taste is that there's a touch more underlying hop than some quads, and that there's plenty of phenolic kick. Some sweetness up front, but the considerable alcoholic spiciness seems to want to dry it out to a really clean finish, especially for a quad. There's a tad sour/bitter thing going on here that makes me want to think of an Orval with more alcohol. The alcohol is not that well-hidden; it's out there for all to experience.

This feels surprisingly well-attenuated. I note very little residual sticky syrup; in fact, this seems to drink almost airy, far lighter than it should. For such a huge beer like this, it does not feel like one, even though alcohol presence is considerable. I think that's pretty impressive.

For a quad, this is very drinkable. I think the fact that it doesn't overload you on caramel malts and dries out well helps drinkability. One to savor and admire? Definitely.

Final verdict? While this doesn't blow my mind, it's obviously an extremely well-crafted beer. With the second pour, I swirled and dumped the yeast in for the hell of it. It doesn't seem to alter the taste much, but now I'm getting an interesting perfume-y smell coming from my chalice. Also, there's a distinct almond nuttiness in the aftertaste I'm noticing now that I didn't notice before. Glad I have a couple more bottles, as I think this one deserves further investigation. I have a feeling this is one of those beers you can't fully know in one tasting....need to relax and let the subtleties reveal themselves.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

On tap at a bar overlooking a Bruges canal on a cool November Saturday afternoon.
A-Served in a chalice this brew is dirty, ruddy brown with a skimming of tan head with very nice lacing.
S-Delicious aromas of toasted malt and lots of sweet esters coming through.
T-A match for the aroma, nothing really stands out. Gets more interesting towards the bottom as the beer warms a bit.
M-For 12% ABV this is outstanding. A warming finish but not at all overpowering. Medium bodied for such a big beer.
O-A really nice beer. Fermented out this beer finishes dry with a nice estery Belgian yeast character and sweet toasted malt flavor. The strength is well hidden. Lacks the complexity in taste of a St. Bernardus or Westy quad but still an excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

11.2 oz brown euro shaped bottled. Label is a busy mixmatch of a beer label, and a neoimpressionist with a ultilitarian feel. Whatever.

Deep garnet tinged murly brown color. Fluffy, creamy dense tan head, bubbles up and fades fast. Tiniest bit of lacing around the edge of the glass. Nice sweet carmel smell matched with hints of maple syrup and vanilla. Taste is a supersmooth combination of the above with stronger vanilla notes to compliment. Sweetness is very present, almost hints of maple syrup. Streak of flowery hops whispers by, and leaves you wondering. Then a carmel and sticky to finish. Alcohol is only noticable at the very very end, with just a hint of alcohol burn. Medium bodied, slick slightly syrupy but so smooth. 12 % Abv sneeks up on you, watch out, but give it a try !

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Corked and caged 750.

Appearance: This is the darkest quad I've ever had thats not some sort of stout hybrid. It looks black in normal light. When you hold it to light its a dark, dark red brown with haze. The head is huge and fades slowly. The lacing is great.

Smell: It smells bready with tons of sweet, dark fruit (very raisiny). Its spicy, and definitely boozy.

Taste: Very sweet. I say a little too sweet. And hot. Very boozy. The taste, even more so than the smell is very raisiny. Lots of interesting spicy flavors, but the overly sweet, syrupy nature hurts the overall flavor. Finishes long and bready.

Mouthfeel: This is a huge, chewy monster. I love the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I dont want another now for sure. I did enjoy this quite a bit, but a whole 750 is too much for one person. This thing drinks like port, and a small serving would be better.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

3.5/5  rDev -14%

4.11/5  rDev +1%

Ruby with tinges of brown with a persistent finger of bubbly foam. The smell is fragrant with licorice and molasses present and some dark fruits. The taste is rich and sweet dark fruits with a bit of alcohol in the back. All in all a nice quad. Thanks to Byronic for bringing this back from Belgium for me.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass, best before date of 10/11 so I'm near the end.

This pours a nice dark slightly hazy brown to dark red color with a large size off white head which quickly dissipates. The smells are of grapes and dark fruit with a little alcohol. The feel is medium with lots of carbonation. The taste is pretty sweet, the dark fruit, some brown sugar and the alcohol burn on the way down, but still well masked for 12%.

Malheur 12° from Brouwerij De Landtsheer NV