Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Zeppelin Bier - Brauerei Max Leibinger GmbH

Zeppelin BierZeppelin Bier

Brauerei Max Leibinger GmbH visit their website

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 06-15-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 10/9/15. Had no idea what kind of beer it was at first but loved the label and that it was from Germany. Comes in a 11.2 ounce (330ml) bottle and chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage gold-rimmed "SONNEN GOLD-EX" 0.25L glass.

Brew pours a hazy deep orangish-dark amber in color with close to a 1-finger creamy white head. Lots of lacing was seen when sipped that stuck to the insides of the glass. Aroma is kind of hard to figure out but has some sweet malts and yeast. More going on with the taste as there is a hint of some dark fruits, roasted malts with a slight hoppy finish was was very drinkable. It was kind of a sipper type of brew for anyways. Medium+ bodied with perfect (or even lower) carbonation. Overall a decent brew.

3.84/5  rDev +11%

Poured from an 11 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. this beer has great label art. The aroma is mostly sweet malt and a bready aroma. The appearance is a murky amber brown a small white head. The beer has a sweet taste with caramel notes. Overall, this is a pretty good beer. I had never heard of it and gave it a try.

Appearance: Clear sweet tea amber.

Aroma/Flavor: Malt forward notes of dark fruit, caramel, and toast.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied, fairly refreshing. Oktoberfest-esque

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I have no idea what kind of beer this is. So I'm going to just do a blind review here, not sure what I'm to expect as far as smell, taste, malts, hop presence, etc. This is totally just off the cuff (and maybe that's the most honest way of doing it?)

A : A dirty, dark iced tea color, with hues of real honey. The opacity is about 80% as I can see my fingers shadowed on the other side of the glass. The head pours large and porous, off-white, about 2 fingers, leaving speckles of lace on the glass generously and receding to a thick ring. The body is definitely different from anything else I've seen really.

S : Again, this is blind. So I'm not "looking" for anything. I'm detecting faint yeast, some dirty rooty aromas, a bit of anise, and lightly roasted malts. Maybe a fig or two. Am I totally off?

T : The roasted malts come out HUGE, and I love it. It just washes over the tongue in waves, like bare feet at the beach. It just rolls over and keeps coming. Yet the hop is delicately balanced, giving a sharp prickle to the tongue and leaving just enough bitterness to keep it from being over-malted. Again, there's a bit of fig, some dirty root, and an almost sarsaparilla-like finish.

F : The carbonation is super appropriate, non-artificial (artificial would be like pop rocks or soda...this is more like...fireworks in your mouth). It's sticky, slightly dry, and ends drying politely like a primer on the tongue. Exceptional mouth-feel.

O : It is slightly on the hoppy side (I do like malty beers better), but really - the IBU's probably aren't that high. The rush of roasted malt and fire-roasted fig really make up the better part of this beer. Would I buy this again? Of course I would. Zeppelin is a great beer, whatever it is.

4.16/5  rDev +20.2%

Brauerei Max Leibinger "Zeppelin"
11.2 oz. brown glass bottle, "Best Before End: 003 E 51 FL."
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More "901, Tampa, FL

I was hoping for a little more from this beer given that it's supposedly a kellerbier, and that it reads "So schmeckt geschichte" - so tastes history, but what I found was a fairly basic brown ale, albeit it quite refined and enjoyable.

The body was actually fairly clear, and although I couldn't see my fingerprints through the glass, I could clearly see my fingers. The color was a deep amber/copper beneath a creamy off-white head. The head retention and lacing were actually quite good, and I appreciated the the initial ring of lace it left followed by thin broken-veils.

In the aroma I found apple and soft dark skinned fruit with a very subtle edge - just a suggestion - of roastiness or smokiness. I'm guessing that this is made with brown malt and that's where it's coming from. Some nuttiness, and minor background floral, grassy, and leafy/earthy hops come through as well.

A full nuttiness joins the fruit along with a complementary bit of golden caramel, and the combination of the three is really quite nice. A stiff bitterness braces it, and all that's needed are some hops to lend a bit of spice and usher in a dry finish... and there they are: herbal, spicy, leafy, grassy, and lightly floral.

In the end I was impressed, if somewhat disappointed that I didn't find something more exciting. Of course it all makes sense: the malt that they're using would surely mimic what was being produced in the early 1900's; and given their location to the southwest of Munich a brown, semi-malty ale would have still been the norm.

3.21/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a buckwheat honey color instead of wildflower. Nice looking one finger mousse head. settles into a cream head 2 mm thick.

S: Mostly Munich malt in this, which makes sense since it's from Bavaria. Very light bread, toffee, corn syrup sweetness. A tart citrus and floral hop presence is in support.

M: Effervescent, acidic feel. Medium body, rounded.

T: Grassy Saaz hops, toast, caramel, and biscuit. Mineral water helps it trend toward the middle. Carapils malt gives a neutral flavor. Not bad, not earth shattering. I imagine this as a cross flavor wise between a dunkel and pilsner- a very sweet pilsner. Nothing offputting if a bit corny Would taste horrible warm. Would like to taste some other examples of the style.

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Hazy amber with a minor amount of carbonation. Thin beige head that dissipates to nothing.

Smell: Metallic notes of iron. Faint notes of malt including apricot and butterscotch. A bit damp.

Taste: Actually quite neutral. Notes of filtered water. The finish is moderate with faint notes of iron, apricot and yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall: Everything about this beer is below average. There are notes of apricot and butterscotch on the nose and tongue, but they are masked by more unpleasant characteristics such as iron and yeast.

3.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a hazy amber brown. Mocha colored head subsides to a thin collar. The scent is substantially influenced by the yeast. There is a yeasty and bready aroma that is fairly fruity with notes of raisin and plum. A very faint whiff of slightly spicy hops, but they are not a strong presence.

The mouthfeel is very smooth with a moderately light carbonation. The taste begins with an initial yeast flavor and dough like sweetness. A slight hint of caramel and dark fruit and banana. The finish is only mildly bitter and leaves a lingering sweet flavor.

Overall it is a very curious beer that has a unique profile. While it does not present any new flavors it does combine them Ina unique way. Enjoyable, but not something I will search out for.

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with generic label art and branded silver pry-off pressure cap acquried as part of a mixed six-pack at Whole Foods HQ and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; this is me first beer from this brewery. 5.2% ABV confirmed per the label. Reviewed as a kellerbier because Leibinger's website identifies it as such (even though the label clearly refers to it as an ale). Best before: "003 L 31 FL."

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of off-white colour. Subpar thickness. Lacks creaminess and frothiness. Subpar consistency and complexion. Head retention is good - about 5-6 minutes. Lacing is quite sticky and clumpy as the head recedes, but the lacing doesn't hold - it slides down the sides fairly quickly.

Body colour is a nontransparent translucent dull copper with brown hues. Not a great colour by any means, and not particularly vibrant either. No yeast particles are visible, which is a bit troubling given the style. Actually, it looks like most of the sediment has attached itself to the bottom of the bottle. I wouldn't call this cloudy. It doesn't even look unfiltered.

Way out of style conventions here. I'm concerned. Far from unique or special, unless brewing a kellerbier that overtly violates style conventions is considered unique.

Sm: Low carbon dioxide is already evident from the aroma, which resembles a cask beer. Munich malts, pilsner malts, honey, grains, some brown malts, caramalt, and some floral character from the weak barely integrated hops. A biteen buttery. Bready. A bit on the sweeter side.

Caramel is dominant.

Strangely, I can't find any yeast character in the aroma. Odd for a kellerbier. No alcohol is detectable.

Overall, I'm liking it and looking forward to it in spite of its simplicity. I get the feeling this is going to bring the vitamins and rich bready quality I'd expect in a good keller.

T: Buttery (butterscotch/intentional diacetyl), mellow grains, munich malts, dominant caramalts, pilsner malts, and floral hops - with a minimal presence and little noticeable bitterness. Edges towards the sweeter end of the bitter/sweet spectrum, but it's pretty close to centre. Bready, sure. I do pick up some rich vitamin-ridden biscuity yeast character lurking beneath the malty core. It is a bit nutty, but I can't quite identify the nuts.

An extremely simple kellerbier with a good balance. Very no-nonsense and back to basics. I can dig that. Sure, I'd like more complexity and subtlety. It may be simple, but it's a gestalt build - I can't imagine removing or adding any notes would keep it as a whole. It's more than the sum of its parts, and that's a difficult thing to achieve. Tasty stuff even if it's shallow. Average flavour duration. Below average flavour intensity.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Classically undercarbonated to style. If you don't like that, kellerbiers aren't for you. Smooth and wet. Mellow light body. Fairly refreshing. A bit thinner than most lagers, which aids drinkability. Texture complements the taste well.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, oily, rough, hot, boozy, or astringent.

Dr: Very drinkable. This is a lager I could down by the litreglas, but it won't dazzle with intricacy or nuance. Just a solid table beer that's good for any season. I like that the flavour profile is bready and almost a meal-in-a-glass but that the mouthfeel is lighter and thinner, making it extraordinarily quaffable. I do appreciate a good keller and though this is far from world-class, it's one I'd happily go back to.

The nuttiness is a highlight for me personally.

High C+

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-a cloudy light brown color with little head that faded fast
S-hops and malt
T-sweet malt taste that leaves you as it goes down,hint of hops in the aftertatse. Great dry finish.
M- medium bodied carbonation is good
O-surprized by the taste. This beer was great.

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a small snifter.
Slightly cloudy yellowish-amber-gold color. Decent head.

This is a relatively fruity smelling zwickel lager from Bavaria. It has a good aroma and is quite tasty, with a touch of nutty yeast over a solid malt base. Mouthfeel is this lager's weak spot.

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Haven't had very many beers of this style.
A - pours a rather deep amber brown with a yellow tint and just a 1/4 inch of head that pulls back to a mildly sticky lace ring.
S - Cereal grains, mild lager yeast with a touch of bready malts.
T - Rather sweet has a bit of a twingle which I assume is the hops. Mildly bready with mostly some caramel malts not your typical lager.
M - Light to medium easy to drink overall

Well I got this at my local place mixed and matched. It seems above the taste of a typical lager but not by much. Strictly picked for its interesting cover art.

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Zeppelin Bier has a thick, frothy, slightly off-white head, and a clear, light amber, bubbly appearance, which clouds up, once the bottom contents are aggressively swished and poured in. Lacing is heavy. The aroma is faint, but one can detect subtle sweetness and bread crust. Taste is of sweetness, bread crust, and stereotypical lager beer flavor. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Zeppelin Bier finishes crisp, refreshing, and drinkable. Overall, this is excellent.

1.74/5  rDev -49.7%

Pours a hazy deep orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, little to no aroma whatsoever. In the taste, a small caramel like note, but really nothing at all. A small bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry caramel note in the aftertaste. Lack of flavor, and taste.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

This was my first Keller that I am aware of, so I was excited and it didn't disappoint. A nice white frothy head from the pour.

The Aroma was fantastic a nice honey and fig scent that filled my entire nose. The taste was nice a light honey, fig sweetness with a mild touch of Banana. A very smooth mouth feel.

Overall I really enjoyed the beer and hope to get my hands on more Keller beers in the future. This is a great recommendation to folks who like a sweeter beer or a wheat beer. Was great for after dinner sitting on the back porch in the summer night.

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light amber shade. ok clarity. Aroma is good and strong. Caramelized malt, toast, bread. Simple well rounded nose

In the taste, semi sweet flavors of euro malts, mild citrus hop, bread, and has a mild peppery character. Medium bodied, well carbonated texture. Overall this makes for a nice little Keller beer in the darker range of the style.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Always happy to try a keller bier, here's hoping it won't be tired or old...

Pours a clear caramel with 2 fingers a cream colored head. Near zero head retention & lacing

S: Pears, some breadyness

T: Follows the nose, figgyness as well up front. More of the same with faint leafy hoppyness as this warms. Pears,dryness & hints of oxidation as this warms

MF: Medium bodied, slight carbonation, thins out as this warms

Gonna guess this is old, no discernable dating on the bottle, I wouldn't buy this again unless I was in the country of origin, drinks alright at best

3.07/5  rDev -11.3%

International Green Week, Berlin 2012: at last we reach Hall 12, the hall dedicated to German breweries and food to go with beer. We find a table and seats by the Andechs bar, leave the womenfolk to keep the area safe and start to forage for beers. Loads of breweries and beers to choose from and for some reason I broke one of my own golden rules ‘always try the draught beers, you’ll find bottles again, but may never get the chance to have the beer on tap again’. So a .33cl bottle of this brew caught my eye as I wandered around and I had to have one.

This unfiltered brew comes with a natural cloudy look, red/brown in colour: on top a thatch of white bubbles, the head left almost before I got back to the table and no lacing was produced by what remained floating on top as I sat down.

The smells were of malty bread/toast and some sweeter molasses; a hop hint as the beer warmed: this was the best bit I’m sorry to say, it went downhill from now on.

The taste was on the malty side and appeared one dimensional in flavour: I expected a lot more to be honest, thin and lacking in substance for a 5.2%ABV brew. The hops just didn’t show at all, no bite or crispness to the brew, I’m struggling to find anything nice to say about this beer, so I’ll curtail the review now!

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to my friend Vicky for leaving behind a few of these in my fridge last week.

A: Light brown, cloudy bodied brew that produced a creamy khaki colored 2+ fingered head with solid retention and some lacing.

S: Very grainy, picture a more potent american adjunct brew. Could also detect a slight candied malt backbone.

T: The malts definitely present themselves in the tasting and mix pretty well with the grains. Overall the brew is too sweet in my opinion and so drinking more than one is not advisable for those who are similar to me.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation with a refreshing feel to it.

O: Pretty good stuff, unlike the beers I usually find myself drinking.

4.17/5  rDev +20.5%

I bought this single thinking it was another basic German pilsener or euro lager, not to mention the obvious connection to Led Zeppelin. Boy was I in for a surprise! 12 oz bottle pours a very hazed amber color with a squat froth of white head. Retention is decent and lacing ok.

Nose is an interesting blend of sweet-ish grainy malt with plenty of mid to dark fruit. Lots going on here, a bready yeast aroma definitely comes to the forefront as it warms.

Yes, definitely bready. Oh-so smooth, wow...the yeast makes for great drinking here! It is great to have a yeasty German brew that is not a wheat beer. Pleasant grassy hops on the finish, refreshing yet full of flavor. Malts border on chocolate, but mostly stay in the caramel range. I am digging on this, I got this as a single, but will certainly pick up a sixer next time I am downtown.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Copper with a tinge of brown hue. 1 Finger head quickly recedes into a very thin foam layer. Surprisingly, there is some lace.

S- Yeasty with hints of clove and banana. Very pronounced malts with hints of caramel and floral hops.

T&M- Above avg carbonation, medium bodied. Sweet bready malts dominate the pallet. Pick up hints of the clove and noble hops, still grossly malt-centric. Moderate alcohol bite, even though it is relatively weak.

O- A so-so German brew. Never had this style, might seek out others but not Zeppelin.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz. Foggy amber/orange, nice layer of white head.

Aroma, some malty mustiness. Not sure what this style should smell like, but this is similar to a bock with slightly less fruit.

Taste is leather, tea, peat accented malt. Pretty much no hop presence. Improves as it warms, but it's still pretty basic.

Lighter bodied of course, with a lively carbonation. Drinks very easy.
Kind of reminds me of Yuengling.

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Chimay glass, this beer is a rather dark brown with a good initial, but soon-fading head. The nose smells like a typical helles: light malt and light noble hop aroma. Flavor is halfway between a helles and dunkel. Malt is light, but there's a sweet, slightly bready side to it. Bitterness and hop flavor is on the low side. The finish is sweet.

Not a bad beer, but not very interesting.

A: Poured from a bottle to a mug. Had a medium brown color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Not a whole lot of lacing here.

S: A very sharp aroma of hops and malt, but not much else. Still, very pleasant.

T: Tasted of malt, a pronounced hoppiness (more than you get in most German beers), and slightly fruity element. An interesting, but not necessarily mind-blowing flavor. Easy to drink, though.

M: A generally well carbonated beer with a super dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A solidly made, drinkable beer.

2.54/5  rDev -26.6%

A: Hazy amber with a good head and some good linger

S: Stale malt with some good hops

T: Rich stale malt with some pretty good hoppiness

M: Medium body with good carbonation

Not a pleasant trip. Tasted like Coors Banquet with some better hops. I won't be ordering another of these any time soon.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast