Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002)
Reviews by dude:
3.3/5  rDev +97.6%

Thanks to Mike for the surprise offering! I initially thought it was Corona based on the appearance. Its golden yellow and clear, not much bubble activity -- possibly affected by the goblin penis at the bottom of the bottle. Aroma is mostly clean, light vegetal aroma along with a dash of chili powder. Taste was surprisingly not unpleasant. Based on reviews and the overall score I expected far worse. My suspicion is that the majority of BA's are not hot pepper fans like myself. Flavor was like a corny sweet macro lager, similar in profile to high life, with a bit of heat from the pepper.

Nothing overpowering. My eyes didn't water. I didn't gag or vomit. Even my morning BM was unremarkable. I have to report no ill-effects whatsoever. Mouthfeel was slightly stale (as was the pepper itself), with heat residue but otherwise a clean finish. Drinkability was alright. Well done Crazy Ed.

1.4/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance – This looked like flat orange piss with a head that disappeared in seconds.

Smell – This smelled like rotten, stale grain.

Taste – Now, I love hot and spicy foods and I’ve even put a drop or two of hot sauce in a bad macro to make it a bit more drinkable, but this beer just sucks. I like beer and I like chilies, but this tasted like hot and spicy rotten corn.

Mouthfeel – This ale was light-bodied, flat, and unduly spicy.

Sinkability – We had this with some enchiladas, tostados, and some homemade salsa so I was hopeful that it might go well with dinner, but it didn’t. The giant green pepper in my glass floating around like a lost turd in a backyard swimming pool didn’t help, either.

Laughing uncrontrolably,

5 minutes of this now. THis is a joKE.

lol!

good one.

This is like black jack gum. ha. Evil trick.

SHould be sold at spencer's gifts.

THis is the first time I've ever had trouble writing 250 words.

I'm still laughing.

My friend G likes it a lot and is bitching at me because I don' tthink it's beer.

Ha. This is a joke!

1.13/5  rDev -32.3%

I don't get it. I love chili, I love hot Mexican and thai food, yet I couldn't finish this stuff. It was awful. I gave a bottle to a friend, and told him to either sip it while he was ice fishing, just to keep warm or to pour it in a pitcher of a drunken asshole. In spite of this the next time I went to my favorite beer store, I saw a woman walking out with two six packs of this. I just starred at her. I couldn't believe it.

1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

This looks like any macro-brewed lager. This tastes like drinking Tabasco Sauce. Might be good for cooking spicy Mexican dishes, other wise, it has no redeeming qualities. This has become the standard of "beer-fail" amongst me and my friends.

1.02/5  rDev -38.9%

I found this on sale for $1 a bottle, in the clearance carts at the Liquor Barn, in Lexington, Ky. That was a couple months ago, and now, in spite of the negative reviews, I am going to sample and review this one from an objective standpoint.

The pepper doesn't leave the bottle upon the first pour. The glass contains a pale, yellow body, with no lace. Second pour reveals a camo-green pepper, that has the appearance of a French cornichon.

Mouthfeel is painful. Hotness seems artificial, but it's there, and it's real.

Taste has some sweet malt background before the heat kicks in. This beer is unique, at least. The chili heat is, simply, unpalatable. If you can handle the hottest of the hot foods, you might be able to drink this.

This one is for anybody that can handle the hottest crap in the world. You have to be a masochist to drink this. It left blisters on my tongue and lips. The pepper has a decent appearance, and I saved it for future reference. This beer is a cruel joke. Buy a six pack for your worst enemies.

1.15/5  rDev -31.1%

A friend poured me a glass of this "beer" and handed it to me. Pours clear yellow with a moderate white head. Aroma of wheat and peppers. Thinking it was not a cruel joke, I drank it. Taste is jalapeno pepper and grain. Finish is jalapeno pepper.

After sampling this "beer" I asked myself why someone would craft such a concoction. Beer should not burn, but the creator of this should.

1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Appearance:
If these beer has anything resembling anything that is good it is it's appearance. Head is light and color is golden clear.

Smell:
Chili pepper and Bud. Smells very spicy and unappealing.

Taste:
Without question the most disgusting beer I have ever had. Absolutly terrible. SUPER spicy in mouth. Tastes like you are drinking carbonated hot sauce. Nasty stuff. Finish is ultra hot as well.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like someone poured flaming coals in mouth. Terrible.

Drinkability:
I couldn't even finish the beer. Unbearable taste... If you are into super spicy food maybe you would like this... but I hated it.

1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

This is not good. Looks like piss tinged green with a turn nugget in it. Head? Lacing? You're kidding right? Smells and tastes like it looks.

I think the recipe is 1 part gasoline + 1 part vinegar + 1 part Keystone Ice + 1 pepper. My apologies to Keystone Ice.

I would drink non alcoholic beer before this again.

EDIT: This is no longer the worst beer I've ever had. I drank Lime-a-rita.

2.28/5  rDev +36.5%

I was expecting the gag reflex to protect me from having to write a review on this sample, however it wasn't as completely horrible and undrinkable as I had imagined it was the image of being one of worst that made it more bearable when I actually tried it. Appears a golden urine hue the head has large bubbles... I think it was white but was gone so quick that I'm not really sure... oh yeah there's a dark green pale slightly wrinkled buoyant chili looking like it's been raped of it's natural green chlorophyllic (sunlight loving) green hue. Now let's smell this one... chili peppers sublte sweetness in the background upfront spiciness no calor acqui(temp) es muy caliente' (spicy) smelling. Taste is upfront spicy fire with some corn and rice macro swill backing all blends into this weird extreme gimmicky interpretation of a beer. Did I enjoy this... it's weird but the flavor wasn't killing me it starts to grow as your mouth numbs is this a good thing probably not for your insides. Mouthfeel has an oily texture carrying the fire light body low carbonation almost flat, it builds a small residential complex and moves in on your palate don't drink any good brews from stash after trying this hazardous brew. Drinkability is low due to the extreme spiciness as some have reported Montezuma may visit you if you imbibe too many, I stuck with one bottle for the novelty overall I liked the experience not something I'm drinking regularly but hey it wasn't as bad as the hype about has been.

4.03/5  rDev +141.3%

I really enjoyed this beer. My friends and I all enjoyed it. The serrano pepper really didn't add a whole lot of spice to it. I have eaten foods that were a lot spiceier. We usually drink a few while we are boiling shrimp or just cooking on the grill. I would not recomend eating the chili though as it tasted terrible. I believe that this beer is best enjoyed one or two at a time. It is not my favorite beer, but one or two every now and then is just enough.

Having no idea where it came from, and having appeared as if by the dark magics of some hellish evil intent not on killing me, but utterly destroying any hope and peace in my soul, I am convinced that this was sent to me by none other than the Lord of Darkness himself. His evil task may have been accomplished.
There's a chili in here. Cool, right? No. Cue Admiral Ackbar: "It's a trap!" Looks like liquid gold, though. Maybe it is; that would explain what it did to my bowels. But that's a story for another time. And the head...wait. I couldn't quite catch it before it decided it couldn't abide this brew. Bad news.
There's chili in here, right? Well, I can almost tell by smelling it. What is that really, though? Vegetables...tomatoes? Oh...there's the chili pepper. That it could hide and then hit so strong seems an omen of dark things to come. This smells and looks like a Mexican dish pit worker needed a place to defecate and somehow, by the powerful magics Mexicans possess as a people, managed to squeeze one in here with his remarkable anal agility. He then poured some dish water in here along with a little floor cleaner. Oh yeah, and he still had to pee and was severely dehydrated...if you get the drift.
The taste...the stuff of nightmares. Parents tell their children that if they don't go to sleep, Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer will find them...and there will be no mercy. Flavorless hot sauce with only heat (I cannot emphasize enough that there's no chili flavor, just heat...) is poured into a mixture of the worst, flattest, most despicable attempt at beer ever made, along with urine, the souls of children, and a mixture of dead kittens and my shattered hopes and dreams. My insides hurt. One sip was enough for the destruction to begin. I'm usually a trooper, but this was poured after three sips, each one by which I lived a lifetime in Hell only to swig another. Between drinking this and watching this:

while being slowly digested inside the fat folds of a sexually ambitious 1,500 pound man, I'm going with the latter.
The mouthfeel: suffering. It burned, and it was like drinking a sacrificial mixture of baby's blood, castor oil, liver oils, and wicked intentions to Molech. My bowels burn with unquenchable fire. The flame reaches through my innards to reach my soul, and it has claimed me.

So...three reconstructive surgeries later, and being a mere shadow of the man I was once was, devoid of the very semblance of humanity, let me speak to the apologists: No, this is not a good beere if you're just looking for something with heat. It is not "a good chili flavor in a crappy beer." It is a soul-destroying abomination. Take it away!
Drinkability of 2 for satanists, occultists, and those without souls.

Edit: "Drinkability" has been changed to "Overall?" DOWN TO 1!

2.55/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

A- Light clear golden orange with no head. A small skinny green pepper sits at the bottom of my glass drooling bubbles.
S- Spicy peppers, tomato paste, and dorito's.
T- Tabasco sauce spiked adjunct lager. No flavors come through other than hot chile peppers.
M- Spicy hot with a sweet finish. My mouth is burning pretty badly.

Overall- This would be interesting to drink with pizza. Too hot and spicy for me. A unique gimmicky beer.

**I turned the bottle upside down before opening and pouring. I'm sure this increased the
hotness!**

An interesting beer to try. The beer has an initially cool feeling to it, but then the heat comes to the back of the throat. Very low, if any, carbonation to the beer. Which is probably good, because the carbonation would probably just agitate the heat in your throat more. I like spicy heat, but this beer would most likely only be good used in a marinade.

1.04/5  rDev -37.7%

This stuff had to be the worst beer I have ever tasted. No redeeming flavor, the only thing I recall was that it was hot (which in and of itself would be fine) and was pure dreck.

My first true drain pour.

I tasted this a couple of years ago at least, and had written some brief notes about it.

1.2/5  rDev -28.1%

Received as a gag gift. And like any good practical joke, this has me simmering for revenge.
Pours dilute yellow, with the pepper lodging in the neck halfway and difficult to remove. No head to speak of whatsoever.
Nose of corn syrup and chiles. I guess it smells pretty close to how I imagined it would.
Tastewise, it begins with that same flourish of corn-fed sweetness, then it's vaporized by a fiery vegetal, pepper blast. Waxy and uncomfortable. If there is anything else here (and I seriously doubt it), it is cloaked in full by the heat. The heat subsides over time (or at least is acclimated to), but then nothing is left other than that wax-coated veggie sense, and tacky, sugared tortillas.
Thin bodied, fiercely hot up front, and painful to drink. It burns the lips, then the entrance to the throat.

Sink bound.

This is as bad as avertised...worse, probably.

1.23/5  rDev -26.3%

Comes in a clear bottle with a green chili floating at the top. Pours a hazy-golden color with virtually no head to start and literally no head in 15 seconds. You can smell the chili but you can also smell malts, so you think, 'ok, this might be alright'. Such foolish notions are soon gone. The taste: spicy beer-like water. It’s like someone put a jalapeño and a Coors Light in a blender. I like strong spicy food, but this is just raw pepper burn. After a few sips my entire mouth was scorched. I am up for gimmicks from time to time but I wish this one came in a 4 oz bottle because the remaining 8 when straight down the drain.

A - Cool clear bottle with a giant pepper inside. No head at all, no lacing either. This is golden hued and clear...I left the pepper in the bottle. I'm rating this based on the appearance of the beer in a glass, not based on the novelty of a pepper in the bottle...that obviously boosts the visual appeal a little bit.

S - Smells like a big hot platter of assorted Mexican foods. Does not smell like beer at all. Kind of like a freshly opened jar of spicy salsa.

T - WHOOO SHIT! This sucks! This is bottled...(gulp of milk).... liquid ... (gulp of milk) ....PAIN.

M - Painful.

D - Never again. Unless you are one of those bizarre people who calls themselves a "pepperhead," avoid this at all costs.

1.9/5  rDev +13.8%

I've had this beer several times but was never able to finish a whole bottle. I guess I just can't learn my lesson. (Of course, I'm only drinking this to review it, and to get the last bottle out of my fridge). It looks good. The whole thing. The bottle, the pepper, the color. Can't keep a head. The aroma is odd, but not offensive in any way. I guess it's picking up something from the chili. The very first sip gives a touch of basic malt flavor, and some flavor from the pepper. The pepper flavor is actually kind of nice. Although the body seems medium/thin, the mouthfeel is obviously way out there. The heat builds quickly, and you can feel it immediately. I actually kind of like it at first - the sensation covers the upper back of the mouth and part of the throat. Kind of like an amplified feeling of the air escaping your lungs as you get the wind knocked out of you! But by the third taste it's all gone! I can't taste anything and the burn is NOT pleasant. That about covers it. Gimmick. If it wasn't technically beer in the bottle, I wouldn't even call it a beer. I've had much better pepper beers where the flavor is allowed to come through without killing you with heat. John Harvard's in Wayne, PA once did a nice smoked Chipolte beer like that.

1.33/5  rDev -20.4%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a golden yellow color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

S- Not a whole lot going on in the aroma. The chili pepper is definitely there but it's pretty faint.

T- The taste starts off with just a touch of beer flavor but is quickly taken over by spicy pepper flavors. There is a lot more spicy heat in this one, a lot more than expected.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- This was a drainpour, each sip became increasingly difficult to consume. I did not enjoy this one at all.

2.5/5  rDev +49.7%

1.53/5  rDev -8.4%

After all of the bottles I drank that no one else wanted, I haven't actually reviewed this?! Okay. The chile on the bottom should be your first warning; packaging in clear glass so you can see it is the second. After that, you're on your own. I don't know if they actually use chiles when brewing or fermenting; but I suspect they just plonk the pepper in and off it goes. Cause it taste more like the liquid you drain from a jar of peppers. This was one of the beers that pushed me to make my own chile beers, though, and they taste a helluva lot better than this.

2.33/5  rDev +39.5%

Sandstone came up with this awesomeness at a tasting. Been looking forward to this for awhile. Thanks, Roger! Apparently he cellared this beer for over a year. I bet this ages very well.

Pours a pale golden clear with minimal head. Very pale. Does not look good.

Aroma is pickled jalapeno. Maybe some pale malt or adjunk in there, but mostly pepper.

Flavor is also pickled jalapeno, very spicy, with corn and pale malt. The base beer is not very good. I also ate the pepper. Bad idea.

Light on the palate with low carbonation and lasting heat. His is one of the spicier beers I've ever had.

Sickening after awhile and not very drinkable, but not awful and pretty much accomplishes what it should. I don't think it's THAT terrible, but I can't honestly say that it isn't bad.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.