1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 260 | Reviews: 228 | Show All Ratings:
karst

Missouri

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

For Crazy Ed Chilleen, of Cave Creek, Arizona, (Pop.1328 including coyotes and cattle) beer was much too important to be trusted to outsiders. So, in 1989, he started brewing his own. Now they are test marketing in cans.

I think the clear bottles are best way to offer this as you see the pepper floating in the beer. Canning it is the only possible way of lowering my rating.

Seriously, on a list of 3621 beers ranks 3620th between two English brews described as "sickening" and "vile". Its best feature is appearance. It is a novillty in my opinion and not meant for consumption. Canning it hides the novillty.

Wondering how bad Mather's Black Beer and Facer's Smoked Ale could be. I am guessing the hot taste took out enough taste buds to keep Crazy Ed's from a last place finish. See the entire list (5 year project) at:

Serving type: can

07-23-2006 21:34:21 | More by karst
wiseguywood

Indiana

1.04/5  rDev -38.1%

This stuff had to be the worst beer I have ever tasted. No redeeming flavor, the only thing I recall was that it was hot (which in and of itself would be fine) and was pure dreck.

My first true drain pour.

I tasted this a couple of years ago at least, and had written some brief notes about it.

04-04-2014 19:58:58 | More by wiseguywood
pkalix

3.63/5  rDev +116.1%

sorry, but I love this sh*t. I wont session this. nor do I inted to drink this early on in my session, but this is an awesome dessert beer. reference all the breweries who are competing for the hottest beer competition.... you don't have to like it. but I do. cave creek, however, is not producing the best chile beer around, but it DOES provide a chile in every beer, which is kind of cool. it's not intended to supplant your favorite stout or ipa, but, rather, it IS an interesting aside to most beers produced and I appreciate it.
take it or leave it. I enjoy it. just like I enjoy sushi ever once in awhile....

11-03-2013 23:04:12 | More by pkalix
kzoobrew

1.03/5  rDev -38.7%

I cannot remember who sent me this, who ever you were.... screw you.

This looks like beer in the most generic sense. Yellow and yellow. There is nothing but yellow. There is no head, no lacing, no appeal. I am not sure why I did not stop right here.

The aroma is atrocious. All adjunct lager and hot sauce in the nose.

This beer seriously tastes like how Taco Bell feels coming out. I apologize for churching it up a bit, it is really much worse than that. Unobstructed chili flavor and heat. There is absolutely nothing desirable about this beer.

All my mouth feels is hot. I can say that it is light bodied, that is about as detailed I can get.

I will readily admit that this review was written based off a very small sample. I feel comfortable writing this review because I am positive it was not going to get any better, in fact I am sure it would have only gotten worse. This is not a beer, this is torture. Screw water boarding, make me drink this and I will tell you everything. Since it is the night before Thanksgiving I feel like I should end on a positive note. I am thankful I never have to drink this again.

11-22-2012 01:12:55 | More by kzoobrew
TrackZero

I first had this beer probably 13 years ago...I still wake in a cold sweat from the occasional nightmares that accompany the PTSD from that fateful night.

I remember it all so clearly. A weak, flat, pale beer...an eye-watering fermented pepper smell...

And then the taste. Oh, that terrible, terrible taste. I've never had a beer that appeared to have been intentionally made this bad. And that includes that terrible concoction of Bud Light & Clamato juice.

And it doesn't go away, the taste. It burns, and not in a good way. Try as many other beers as you want, nothing will wash your palate of this awful sin.

Over a decade later, and I regularly suffer from Class 3 heart-burn. I'm relatively certain I can trace it back to this beer.

08-28-2012 18:00:49 | More by TrackZero
match1112

3.1/5  rDev +84.5%

a: clear golden yellow with a quarter inch of white head that rather quickly disappears.

s: chile pepper mostly with a slight hint of grains in the background.

t: straight chile pepper.

m: thin and watery. very little carbonation.

o: surprised by this beer, i thought from the reviews that this would be horrible, but it tastes and smells like chile's so they nailed it for the style. not something i could drink more than one of in a sitting, but will definitely warm you up on a cold day. think i will buy more to age.

12-18-2011 15:42:23 | More by match1112
netrioter

2.55/5  rDev +51.8%

yes i know,why did i drink this beer.

the beer itself is recycled Carta Blanca that's harvested from various urinals across Tijuana.

it will burn your face off and thats what leads me to why i sometimes buy it....

the pepper tastes excellent! It's extremely spicy and moderately pickled by the beer. all the flavor of the beer is in it.

If you like heat,try the pepper after you pour the beer out.

10-24-2011 07:35:20 | More by netrioter
mdfb79

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

From 09/23/11 notes. Decided to go with the #2 beer on the Bottom of the Barrel list for my 1500th review. I've had this bottle for a while and never wanted to drink it, but figured what the hell. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

a - Pours a clear yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Kind of looks like a macro adjunct lager; not that great.

s - Smells of chili's, pepper, spices, grain, and bready malts. Lots of spice and pepper, mixed with some adjunct lager smell.

t - Tastes of hot chili peppers, grain, a tiny bit skunked, spices, black pepper. As expected peppers dominate and there is a horrible spicey pepper aftertaste. Really bad, one of the worst and undrinkable beers I've had.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Heat from the peppers make this pretty bad.

o - Overall a really bad beer, and in my opinion, should be in the running for #1. This beer makes Bud Light seem like a great beer, but what can you expect from a beer with a huge chili pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle. Would never seek out again.

09-24-2011 13:44:19 | More by mdfb79
TCgoalie

2.65/5  rDev +57.7%

Notes from 6/7/11

Pours a golden yellow. I was thinking 2 for an appearance grade, but I bumped it up to 3 because of the chili that is present in the beer!

Not much happening in the scent, I don't know what is happening here.

The taste is decent if you are looking for a biting cinnamon candy like spice. The sting lingers for a while so don't expect to taste another beer right after drinking this.

Extra points for the feel in terms of the tongue sting.

I really don't think this is a bottom of the barrel beer especially if you are looking for a pairing with jalapeno topped nachos or spicy Mexican food. If you are after a bad beer and are looking at the list of worst reviews, please see Bud Light Chelada!! That is 50 times worse than this brew!

06-14-2011 01:06:55 | More by TCgoalie
samie85

Reviewed from notes; originally 5/27/11.

A-Pours a golden yellow color with no head after an aggressive pour

S-Smells of sweet malt and chili peppers with no hints of any hop notes.

T-Amber ale-like in the front with cloying malt with a very healthy dose of chili pepper.

M-Syrupy consistency with very low carbonation and dry finish.

D-Wow, I can't get by the sweetness on this one. The chili pepper is actually really nice in this and I feel like this aspect of the beer would be better married with a darker beer like a porter.

05-29-2011 03:06:24 | More by samie85
Portertime

3.53/5  rDev +110.1%

So it looks like everyone hates this beer but I am a fan of chilis in my brew. It pours like any other mexican lager with a light, urine yellow with no joie de vie. The smell was equally muted with aromas of chili and cooked vegetables. The taste was wonderful to me. Fresh chili heat sizzling on my tongue with light hops in the background. This would be a good basis for a fine hot sauce.

05-18-2011 02:54:03 | More by Portertime
SWMeyer4141

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

So I've seen the reviews on this beer before, and I've seen this beer at the liquor store. I was at a friends house and he had this beer in the fridge. His friend gave it to him for a joke 2 years ago and it was still there, I told him we had to try it. so we did

Appearance-BMC style, small head, goes away almost immediately.

Nose-The absolutely worst salsa you can smell. Funky and gross

Taste-Initially it tastes like a light beer, once the beer gets further down your palate you get a very unpleasant hotness that lingers, and stays for a while. This really does suck.

Mouthfeel-Gross

Overall-I wouldn't make anyone drink this beer, don't even try it, it sucks. We each took a sip and drainpoured. Took 30 minutes to get the taste out of our mouths.

05-01-2011 06:14:10 | More by SWMeyer4141
clr231

1.93/5  rDev +14.9%

A novelty beer. Golden color with no head or lacing. Feels kinda silly talking about color and lacing with this beer. Smell is all chili. Taste is probably exactly what they intended: A beer with a chili pepper in it. Had this beer at a polar bear jump and it worked to warm me up, I think. Do not drink this if you are prone to heartburn like I am. But I have had worse.

04-01-2011 16:17:28 | More by clr231
Urbancaver

1.15/5  rDev -31.5%

Best before april 2010.
Cellared especially for This tasting as i figured the longer it sits the more wonderful chili flavours will be imparted on the brew.

Pours yellow as the my urine after a long night of heavy drinking. I images that if an old man who was drowning in the dead sea re to be pulled out at the last minutes before death he would probably piss this colour. No head to speak of which is just fine because i want to view the world clearly through this golden lens of urine.

Smells like dirt. But not just any dirt... Have you ever been to Arizona? Standing on the edge of the grand canyon next to one of those donkeys . It smells like the dirt under the ground where that donkey dragged it's fly infested anus. Oh, but wait... There are chili pepper thrown in there as well. Sooo much chili pepper. I think this one needs more age for that wonderfu chili flavour to grow.

Tastes like... Well, one time i ate taco bell for a week and and the worst diarehha. It was so bad my butt hole felt like it was on fire.... Well, this beer tastes like that. Burning and awefulness burning my throat and stomach. After one sip i am positive i have heartburn and will likely have acid reflux for the rest of my life. If i could i would lick that donkey's ass to get this taste out of my mouth.

The burning in my mouth is just awful. It's like someone buried me to my neck in sand in some desert somewhere, kicked in my teeth and shoved a pepper down my throat. Despite begging for mercy my throat still screams out for the sweet calming peace of death.

This is clearly the least drinkable beer i have ever had... No, could ever imagine. The beginning of each sip is bearable but the finish is like a thousand fire ants swarming down my throat. Burning and dirty awfulness hits my tongue with a force that can only be equaled by the fires of a human sized kiln. Burning not only at my throat but my tongue and lips as well. I would rather have 3rd degree burns across the surface of my body than drink another sip...

And yet, i dare to eat the chili pepper

If you are reading this... DO NOT EAT THE CHILI PEPPER

03-07-2011 22:34:54 | More by Urbancaver
NittanyBeerFan

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

"Thanks," i guess, to treyrab. The hideousness of this beer will haunt my dreams forever. Poured into a white wine glass, though I really don't know why I bothered...

The apple juice-colored liquid accumulates in the glass and yields about as much head as certain equestrian in "The Legend of Sleep Hollow." Murky and hazy, there are some bubbly streams, but goodness, this beer is about as flat as slab of plywood. On to the smell...

This smells like an American Adjunct Lager that has been allowed to sit out overnight. Mix that with some rank 3-month old non-refrigerated Tabasco sauce blended with spoiled bell peppers, and there you have it. It legitimately makes my stomach lurch just smelling it. It wouldn't count as a tick unless I did my best to drink it. The first sip doesn't quite do any of the other subsequent ones justice. A slick and slimy peppery film slides over and coats the palate. Rotting corn and rancid chili peppers combine powers and make a concoction worse than anything I can describe. I feel as violated by this beer as Happy Gilmore feels when Shooter McGavin invades his happy place.

After the second and third sips, my stomach still feels unsettled. FML. Never again. This beer isn't even worth the price of the clear screw-top bottle that it is packaged in. I;m going to go boil my tongue.

03-07-2011 00:53:13 | More by NittanyBeerFan
mikereaser

1.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF 4

Another beer courtesy of Phelps, this one has me worried, pale yellow in a clear glass bottle.

Pours a clear straw yellow with some foam that quickly fades as soon as the chili pepper hits the glass, kerplunk! Scared the shit out of me until I realized what it was.
Aroma is light grain aroma with some pepper spiciness
The taste starts out pretty plain, some light grains but then BAM!
the pepper hits you over the head like a hammer. My mouth is burning and I don't think I can taste anything anymore. And thats after one sip.
The mouthfeel is well I can't feel anything anymore. I gotta go chug some milk.
Drinkability is good if you're into pain and torture.

The paper is burned off the bottle to reveal...
Cave Creek Chili Beer
Of course, I finally get to try the beer, the myth, the legend.
And it lived up to they hype

3.5/2.5/2/1/1

03-06-2011 02:56:40 | More by mikereaser
BarrelO

1.05/5  rDev -37.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best before 7/12/11.

A: Hey, it actually looks like a beer, at least for a little while. Pretty decent head initially. But it dies in a hurry, at which point the beer becomes indistinguishable from a urine sample.

S: Nothing reminiscent of beer, just pepper hotness.

T: The underlying beer is completely drowned out by the pepper. That's probably a good thing, though, since the underlying beer is almost certainly awful.

M: Thin like hot sauce with a smidgen of carbonation.

D: I tried to enjoy this beer on a personal level, on an ironic level, as a novelty, as camp, as kitsch, as cautionary example...nothing works. Drain pour. Avoid at all costs.

02-12-2011 02:10:48 | More by BarrelO
BostonBiosafety

New Hampshire

3.8/5  rDev +126.2%

I am thankful to be able to try this beer before it was retired. This beer is a completely different bird and it is a shame it is no longer produced. It should not be judged based on other beers or flavored beers because it has flavor and heat. I could never see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis, but the experience was wonderful. Sure, the actual beer is just average, but add that pepper and BANG, it's a whole new ball game. Chili Beer Co. was a pioneer and should be recognized as such.

02-11-2011 03:53:21 | More by BostonBiosafety
WhyBeNormal

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I saw this bottle for sale at Acme and it looked so awful I just had to buy it. And holy shit this has got to be the nastiest thing I've ever tasted sober. I swear it's like they just poured the juice from a jar of jalapeños into a Coors Original and repackaged it. That is really the best way to describe how this tastes. Oh my FSM, why did I do that?

02-09-2011 14:56:50 | More by WhyBeNormal
HeightsEats

4.05/5  rDev +141.1%

This is not exactly traditional beer, but it's very good nonetheless (if you like chili peppers). Appearance is a darkish yellow, with a strong chili vegetal aroma with a faint malty sweetness underneath. The pepper is definitely serrano rather than jalapeño. The chili flavor is upfront with a fair amount of sweet pilsner malt and no real hop presence. Mouthfeel is a tad thin, but the drinkability is quite good if you're looking for clean, spicy beer that pairs well with food.

I don't quite understand the level of hostility in the other reviews. Heavy hopping isn't a requirement for a good beer. A lot of Belgians have sourness instead, while some beers emphasize fruit. The sharp, clean heat basically takes the place of hops.

01-24-2011 23:30:57 | More by HeightsEats
twiggamortis420

2.08/5  rDev +23.8%

12 oz clear bottle pours a limpid, clear yellow color with no head to speak of and was gone while I was distracted by the hideous pale green pepper clinging to the rim by it's wrinkly stem. Most folk think this is a jalapeño pepper, but I do believe it is a serrano instead. Regardless, it is a grotesque looking beer, nary a bubble permeates the surface, it looks like apple juice.

Nose is of cheap salsa verde from a can, you know...the 53 cent Herdez brand. No beer aromas are anywhere to be found.

Taste is initially of stale grains and then an earthy, musty pepper flavor is followed (and finished) by a pretty hefty amount of heat. It is a drain pour, for sure...but it is not nearly as bad and gut-wrenching as a Bud 'Chelada. Call me crazy (Ed), but if this was all I had to drink on a deserted island, I actually think I could do it.

01-19-2011 00:34:53 | More by twiggamortis420
PhageLab

1.27/5  rDev -24.4%

A friend of mine brought a few of these over to my old apartment. I just want to note that he loved the stuff. Poured into a pint glass.

A - Dark yellowish coloration. Little to no head which fizzed away. There is literally a giant pepper in each bottle. This does not bode well.

S - Tobasco sauce and heartburn.

T - Difficult to tell there is even beer in here, it tastes like carbonated hot sauce.

M - Add sharp carbonation to that mix and we have something akin to being punched repeatedly in the throat.

D - Sorry, I couldn't finish it. Like I said, my friend loved the stuff. I watched in horror as he consumed 4 of them before switching to something else. If you love hot sauce, this is your beer.

01-10-2011 23:03:33 | More by PhageLab
lester619

Wisconsin

1.05/5  rDev -37.5%

Come on. Really? A buddy of mine was in Vegas a couple weekends ago and brought a six pack of this back with him. Where do you start with this? It's a pale yellow, fizzy beer with a huge pepper in it. It smells like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It tastes like a Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. I'm starting to think it's a
Corona with a huge chile pepper in it. It's just so freaking stupid and pointless. There's no smell or flavor other than cheap beer with some pointless heat. This is the deffinition of undrinkable. It's one thing when a brewery is being creative and it doesn't work. There isn't even an atempt to make something of quality here. One of the most idiotic things I've seen in a while.

12-20-2010 17:49:27 | More by lester619
nlmartin

1.02/5  rDev -39.3%

Ok where to begin with this beer. I served this beer with dam near ice crystals in it. The beer went into my pub glass. Was it me or the glass groaning as it hit the glass.

Appearance: The high mark of this beer. How can a beer with a giant chili pepper in the bottle look bad. The beer is urine yellow with a head that quickly resolved.

Smell: I imagine the aroma to be similar to being hit in the face with pepper spray. Very astringent, solvent, and plain ole nasty.

Taste: This beer gives Sam Adams Triple Bock a run for the money for foulest tasting beer ever. No real flavor notes except hot, hotter and yet hotter going into metalic. Makes me long for a Triple Bock.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is watery with an oily hot pepper feel. Drinkability just no! This may be the most evil beer ever.

11-13-2010 11:50:46 | More by nlmartin
Betmore

1.13/5  rDev -32.7%

The first red flag was the clear bottle...

This is nothing more than a novelty beer. It tastes like the juice from a bottle of pickled peppers. I've never had, nor do I want to have, a beer anything like this ever again. I get chili pepper beers... I really do. But this one is insane. I shouldn't have to drink a different beer to cure my palate of this beer.

In my opinion, avoid this beer. If you absolutely have to try it, find a way to pick up a single or split a 6-pack with 5 of your buddies.

That said, I can actually think of two positive uses for this beer. The first one is as a marinade. It might impart a nice chili pepper flavor to meats. The second... Its a conversation starter. You'll talk about it for quite some time. I guarentee you've never had a beer like this one.

11-09-2010 07:12:28 | More by Betmore
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.