Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002)

t0rin0, Sep 10, 2012
1.33/5  rDev -20.4%

One of those beers that everyone has to try once. The presentation is intriguing. It say's crazy ed's and has a jalapeno peper in it. Poured into a glass, it actually looks normal. High carbonation and absolutely no head retention. Smells like normal beer with a astringent sour and spicyness. Taste isn't appauling at first... Oooh God! Yes it is! The heat from the peppers and extract compounded with the moderate alcohol equals instant torture. I really couldn't take the time to asses the mouthfeel, the body, or the aftertaste. Difficult to give an honest assesment. It's all about the burn. It is actually baptism by fire for all serious beer drinkers.

BEERchitect, Jun 28, 2005
1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Question #1: Why isn't this beer in a dark brown bottle; isn't Crazy Ed afraid of skunking?
Answer #1: Because then we wouldn't be able to see the chili pepper floating in the neck of the bottle.
Question #2: So, is the gimmick more important that the integrity of the beer?
Answer #2: What do you think?

The pepper was thin enough to make it through the bottle and is now floating in my pint glass. The stem is under the surface of the beer and seems to have its own source of very vigorous carbonation. I'm having serious second thoughts about drinking this.

Light, bright lemon yellow. The pepper is olive green in case you were wondering. No head and no lace, I think the chili scared them off. The aroma, which has been assaulting my nostrils since I poured the beer, is a mix of sour beer and chili pepper juice. Ok, here goes...

Wow, this is terrible. A few sips told me all I needed to know. It's impossible to describe any sort of flavor; it's a hot, burning, furnace blast of chili pepper juice that immediately attacks my tongue and the lining of my mouth. I drink Scotch and bourbon whiskey (as high as 100-proof) neat, but my mouth can't handle this crap.

This isn't beer, it's a bad, unfunny joke. I wonder how this swill continues to be brewed and sold. Who exactly is buying sixers of this stuff (this was a single) for anything other than a prank on their buds? Anyone who likes beer, even a little, should stay away from this abomination. It should clear out my kitchen sink drain nicely, though.

BuckeyeNation, May 09, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -5.4%

I decided to finally crack this one open when the family was over last night. I have had chili beers before, but this one made me nervous to say the least. Twelve ounce bottle was served as cold as I could make it and poured into 4 taster glasses. Consumed on 11/14/2008.

At first look, the WTF is this comes across your face. Pale, piss colored yellow liquid with virtually no carbonation or head. The only thing that set it apart from apple juice the the chili floating in it.

The aroma was, I do not even know where to start with this one. It was a dull macro lager with hot sauce dumped in it, that was about it. Then I took a taste, holy sheep. This was just awful. So insanely hot that you cannot even get past the first sip. I have had others like Ring of Fire, that I really actually enjoyed, but this was just too much. Nothing redeeming here at all. It took me damn near an hour to get back my sense of taste, and it was still not the same. A very thin feel, well what you could tell before your mouth got torn apart again, good grief, this thing was rough,

This was one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Nothing here redeeming, even in a style that most may not like, this was at the bottom. Never again.

mikesgroove, Nov 15, 2008
1.38/5  rDev -17.4%

The infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer...

A: The pour is just about like any adjunct lager--pale yellow and fizzy with a short lived white head.

S: The aroma is pretty gnarly. It smells like Budweiser with jalapeno added to it and there's some definite "kick" to the aroma. In fact, it made me afraid to take a sip.

T: Surprisingly, the flavor itself is not quite as bad as the scent would let on. But let's not kid ourselves, it doesn't taste good either. The chili flavor is definitely hot and there really isn't anything else in the beer to mitigate that.

M: The beer is light and fizzy on the tongue with some definite chili pepper warmth.

D: While the beer didn't taste bad on the tongue, the problem is that after you drink it, you have immediate heart burn. The fizz and spiciness combination does quite a number on your stomach.

And no, I didn't eat the pepper.

womencantsail, Mar 20, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Sandstone served this as a digestif at his lovely holiday beer dinner. Thanks, Roger - I owe you big.

The appearance is very beer-like, with a glowing neon yellow body and a head that rapidly settles to nothing. The aroma is pungent pickle brine, peperoncini and sweet corn that has been slathered with butter. Mmm, it's like a plate of sides at a BBQ. The flavor is masked by an intense burning sensation, so I can't comment on it a lot. I think there might be some white vinegar and corn or something. Delicious as this is, drinkability is rather low as it begins to induce queasiness after a few ounces. This is a must-try.

largadeer, Dec 15, 2009

A friend of a friend brought this to a party.

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, short-lived head. No lace at all.

S - Smelled of corn and chilies

T - It was incredibly hot. All I could taste is hot chilis.

M - It burned my mouth. AND I like hot foods.

D - Awful!! I needed something to wash it down/put out the fire. Unbelieveable! Too hot. It is like the hottest wings at Buffalo Wild Wings except that those at least taste somewhat good.

zeff80, May 03, 2007
1.9/5  rDev +13.8%

I've had this beer several times but was never able to finish a whole bottle. I guess I just can't learn my lesson. (Of course, I'm only drinking this to review it, and to get the last bottle out of my fridge). It looks good. The whole thing. The bottle, the pepper, the color. Can't keep a head. The aroma is odd, but not offensive in any way. I guess it's picking up something from the chili. The very first sip gives a touch of basic malt flavor, and some flavor from the pepper. The pepper flavor is actually kind of nice. Although the body seems medium/thin, the mouthfeel is obviously way out there. The heat builds quickly, and you can feel it immediately. I actually kind of like it at first - the sensation covers the upper back of the mouth and part of the throat. Kind of like an amplified feeling of the air escaping your lungs as you get the wind knocked out of you! But by the third taste it's all gone! I can't taste anything and the burn is NOT pleasant. That about covers it. Gimmick. If it wasn't technically beer in the bottle, I wouldn't even call it a beer. I've had much better pepper beers where the flavor is allowed to come through without killing you with heat. John Harvard's in Wayne, PA once did a nice smoked Chipolte beer like that.

NeroFiddled, Aug 08, 2002
2.28/5  rDev +36.5%

I was expecting the gag reflex to protect me from having to write a review on this sample, however it wasn't as completely horrible and undrinkable as I had imagined it was the image of being one of worst that made it more bearable when I actually tried it. Appears a golden urine hue the head has large bubbles... I think it was white but was gone so quick that I'm not really sure... oh yeah there's a dark green pale slightly wrinkled buoyant chili looking like it's been raped of it's natural green chlorophyllic (sunlight loving) green hue. Now let's smell this one... chili peppers sublte sweetness in the background upfront spiciness no calor acqui(temp) es muy caliente' (spicy) smelling. Taste is upfront spicy fire with some corn and rice macro swill backing all blends into this weird extreme gimmicky interpretation of a beer. Did I enjoy this... it's weird but the flavor wasn't killing me it starts to grow as your mouth numbs is this a good thing probably not for your insides. Mouthfeel has an oily texture carrying the fire light body low carbonation almost flat, it builds a small residential complex and moves in on your palate don't drink any good brews from stash after trying this hazardous brew. Drinkability is low due to the extreme spiciness as some have reported Montezuma may visit you if you imbibe too many, I stuck with one bottle for the novelty overall I liked the experience not something I'm drinking regularly but hey it wasn't as bad as the hype about has been.

WVbeergeek, Feb 10, 2006
1.43/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with no head at all and no lace.

S: The aroma is of jalapeno peppers with some corn and a touch of malt.

T: The taste is extremely hot and spicy, with the intense flavor of jalapeno peppers. Just take a jar of jalapeno peppers and drink the juice straight up and you will know what this beer taste like. If that is what you are looking for, then you will like this beer. It tasted ok while I eating white corn chips with it, but usually the beer relieves the thirst generated by the chips; in this case the chips relieved the burn from the beer.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light body, medium carbonation, dry & burning finish.

D: If you are going to make my beer burningly hot that is fine, but at least let it retain some resemblance to a beer. This beer is all fire and nothing else, no hops, no malt, nothing but flaming hot jalapeno flavor.

TheManiacalOne, May 12, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +64.7%

Slatetank, May 18, 2013
1.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Is this an ale or a lager? The label says "Beer" and the only color comes from the infused pepper, so there's the answer. I pour this bottle into a pint glass, and PLOP! What the hell was that? There's a vegetable in my beer, and I did not expect it at all! Must have hidden behind the label. I plucked it out with my fingers, for I can't stand that sad, wet legume sitting at the bottom of my glass, and getting in my lips as I try to drink!
Color is reddish, but clear, head is instantaneously gone. Aroma? Hot, spicy, intense chili flavor. Taste? Hot, intense chili flavor. Body is light, texture, there is none, no particular flvor here at all, except that given by the pepper, and that is simply too much and not enough. Rogue's Mexicali is a wiser approach, using an ale as base, and without so overwhelming a peppery component. These guys use an incredibly bland lager for base, and while the result is "crazy", to be sure, it doesn't taste very good.
I poured this one out, not because I couldn't finish it, but because I lost interest.

feloniousmonk, Jan 07, 2003
1.35/5  rDev -19.2%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of trying. A friend of mine told me that the beer was bad, but drinking is believing. I went ot the local liquor store and picked up a six pack of bottles. It took four of us nearly 2 weeks to finish the six pack, and even then all were drunk due ot series of dares and challenges.

this beer has a terrible CHILI after taste that gets progressively worse. Someone noted that chili juice may be seeping out of the chili while youre drinking, making the remaining beer in the bottle more spicy. Whatever the reason, this beer gets progressively harder to drink. 12oz = 30 minutes of PURE TORTURE!

drabmuh, Mar 10, 2004
1.4/5  rDev -16.2%

The beer pours a hazy golden color with absolutely no head. The aroma is very spicy. It smells of jalepeno peppers. The taste is hotter than hell. It goes down like cheap liquor. The taste of peppers is overpowering. The mouthfeel is terrible. There is no carbonation and it is medium bodied. It drinks horribly.

WesWes, Dec 05, 2003
1.25/5  rDev -25.1%

From 09/23/11 notes. Decided to go with the #2 beer on the Bottom of the Barrel list for my 1500th review. I've had this bottle for a while and never wanted to drink it, but figured what the hell. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

a - Pours a clear yellow color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Kind of looks like a macro adjunct lager; not that great.

s - Smells of chili's, pepper, spices, grain, and bready malts. Lots of spice and pepper, mixed with some adjunct lager smell.

t - Tastes of hot chili peppers, grain, a tiny bit skunked, spices, black pepper. As expected peppers dominate and there is a horrible spicey pepper aftertaste. Really bad, one of the worst and undrinkable beers I've had.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Heat from the peppers make this pretty bad.

o - Overall a really bad beer, and in my opinion, should be in the running for #1. This beer makes Bud Light seem like a great beer, but what can you expect from a beer with a huge chili pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle. Would never seek out again.

mdfb79, Sep 24, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -32.3%

Poured light yellow with a few fizzy bubbles and absolutely no head.
The smell was of jalapeno.
It tasted like jalapeno and tabasco sauce mixed with sulfur-like chemicals and water. It's like adding too many spices to really bad beer.
The feel was awful as far as beer is concerned. It was spicy but, no beer flavor at all.
This was, hands down, the worst beer I've ever had. I expected the spiciness - was looking forward to it, in fact. But, the beer itself was nothing. It says "Serve cold." IMO - better not served at all. Novel concept gone wrong.

jwc215, Jul 11, 2006

DrunkinYogi, Feb 15, 2013

Rochefort10nh, Nov 24, 2011
2.05/5  rDev +22.8%

12 oz. bottle, bought at the Hi-Times Wine Cellars, in Costa Mesa, CA, curiosity finally got the best of me so I tried this beer that I've been hearing so much about,

A: Pours an insipid, pale yellow, with no head after the first 3 seconds, very unattractive.

S: Smells of wet soil and chile peppers, a very dirty smell.

T: Nothing at first, but then in the end comes a very spicy warmth, with a big pepper flavor, it was off-putting at first, though after a while of drinking the beer, it wasn't so bad, bordering on semi-enjoyable, though I didn't like the undercurrent of dirty, rotten corn, which seems to be the base for the chile pepper's spiciness.

M: Light, spicy, and thin, feels like a typical macro lager.

D: Gets better at the end, and easier to drink, this beer certainly isn't an abomination, though it's not very good, I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll be visiting it again.

Halcyondays, Aug 07, 2007

11/02/04- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirit in Lafayette, CA

*note-beer consumed earlier this year. Notes from memory.

Appearance- Urine-yellow colored water pours with zero head and zero lace. The only thing keeping this beer from getting 1's all the way down is the novelty of a pepper stuck in the neck of the bottle.
Even if it was a murky brown colored pepper that looks like a dog turd..

Smell- A horrid pungent spicy scent. I think I scorched my nostril hair. Wish so much that I hadn't taken a sip of this beer.

Taste- First of all, I love spicy Mexican food. Possibly my favorite type of food next to Chinese. Anyway, spicy is a good thing. Apparently only in food though as I found out. After one gulp I almost hurled my dinner into the sink. The most revolting, foul, vile, repugnant, feces encrusted monstrosity created. Basically carbonated water with extra hot sauce mixed together. I don't know why but I took another sip just to make sure and gagged again. The rest got dumped so quickly.

Mouthfeel- Tongue is on FIRE! Mouth is on FIRE! Esophugus is on FIRE! Stomach is on FIRE! Lower GI tract is on fire! Five minutes later, toilet needs to be cleaned by a haz-mat team with full toxic gear on. You get the picture.

Drinkability- Not drinkable. An excelent beer to get back at an enemy. That is the only way I can see Crazy Ed making any kind of money on this beer. How is he making a profit?!? The worst beer in the entire galaxy including any planets yet to be discovered. I tasted my own urine when I was like 5 and remember the taste. It was pretty damn bad. Crazy Ed's makes my urine taste like the best Westy 12 you ever had. Damn you pepper in the bottle!!!! Now I can't ever rate a beer worse than 1.1 !!!!

11/10/04---revision!

After thinking about it. Just because there is a pepper in the bottle doesn't mean the appearance is any better. After reading a fellow BA's review, he thought the pepper should be rated under "creativity". I would have to agree. Since there is no creativity, this beer gets a big fat zero! I feel so better about myself now.

GClarkage, Nov 03, 2004
2.4/5  rDev +43.7%

Poured a clear dark gold and formed a modest white head. Head faded fast, but other than that, so far, so good. It was different for sure. A twist on a Mexican Lager but better than a Corona. The pepper really hit you all the way through. I am going to rate it decent because it is unique and different. Nothing wrong with being adventurous.

barleywinefiend, Jan 15, 2008

Ben is too kind, after more than 1000 beers this is easily the worst beer I have ever had. It is a beer by label only, if there was a lower rating like zero it would have gotten it. Comes in a clear bottle so you can see the chili pepper, can you say pasteurized cow piss - not worth the $1.25.

jdhilt, Mar 26, 2002
3.35/5  rDev +100.6%

Ah the infamous Cave Creek Chili Beer saw it in the store and since they would let me buy a single I had to see how bad it could really be, hell I even can find worth in some cheap malt liquors.

Poured it in a glass just for consistency and to give it a fair trial.

Pours a clear yellow beer with absolutely no head at all.

Smell is not skunked, as I feared due to the clear bottle. Clean pleasant scent of chili peppers. Jalapeno scent with the characteristic slight tart scent that pepper has. I watched the Food-TV episode about this beer and I know that is a modified Serrano Chile pepper in there. Additional scent of smoke is in here. I can't say it smells bad at all.

Taste is thin beer with a sharp hit of Chile pepper taste. This is all Chile pepper in flavor in fact. With the first swallow a pleasant fire warms my chest and stomach. Gets hotter as you drink it but I have been eating hot peppers since birth so this probably is far too intense for someone that doesn't eat hot peppers with most every meal including salsa on my eggs in the morning. Still this is more a beer I would cook with than drink on a regular basis. Taste is intense but not really bad, in fact this made me hungry.

Mouthfeel isn't really there about the same as a light beer.

More drinkable than I suspected I could see developing recipes for this and using it to make chili's, marinades and salsas with this.

Zorro, Oct 05, 2005
2.23/5  rDev +33.5%

Packaged in a clear bottle with a 3" green serrano pepper.

A: Poured a weak watery gold with a soapy head that almost immediately dissipated to a polish surface with no lacing. A light carbonation is present as well a 3" Serrano chili pepper floating in my beer.

S: The nose was spicy chili peppers, and that's it. Even removing the pepper the scent still lingers on strong here drowning out any other aspect. Overall the strength was medium.

T: The flavor was, wait for it, spicy serrano pepper, warm and spicy but not terribly so. I debated whether to keep or ditch the pepper and I chose to keep it. The spiciness of the drink increases after the swallow. Much like the aroma, the flavor is what it is spicy warm pepper oils that drowned out any other possible flavors.

M: watery and hot, you definitely don't want to hold this to long.

D: Overall drinkability was gimmicky and manageable the first few sips that kept you intrigued until you quickly realize you have 10 more ounces to consume. Cant imagine putting a whole glass down at one sitting, I managed a bit more then half way (8oz) so if possible find another sucker of a friend to share this with. Single purchase only, a gimmicky beer that is what it is, a chili beer don't expect to like this much.

beerthulhu, Oct 14, 2009
1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

This is not good. Looks like piss tinged green with a turn nugget in it. Head? Lacing? You're kidding right? Smells and tastes like it looks.

I think the recipe is 1 part gasoline + 1 part vinegar + 1 part Keystone Ice + 1 pepper. My apologies to Keystone Ice.

I would drink non alcoholic beer before this again.

EDIT: This is no longer the worst beer I've ever had. I drank Lime-a-rita.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 04, 2010
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.