Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002)
1.35/5  rDev -19.2%

A beer that should be left for cooking...
I got three of these bottles from our monthly beer club. The appearance isn't incredibly bad...it's a straw color with a thick head initially, however the head dies down in no time at all. The smell is purely of peppers, if you opened up a bottle of pickled jalapenos-that's pretty much what it smells like. The taste was I imagine pure capsicum would taste like if you drank it in liquid form...all spiciness no bitterness no maltiness, just liquid pepper. As far as my tolerance for spiciness, I'd say mine is about average for the non-Mexican, non-Indian person...this beer just burned the mouth completely though. Drinkability would be zero if I could give that low...i could barely get more than 3 sips down, and I had to dump the rest. I'm going to leave the last two bottles for making chili or something similar

PartyHatjo, Apr 12, 2004
1.23/5  rDev -26.3%

Oh. My. God.

I'd seen the numbers, heard the talk, read the reviews. So I waited until I thought I was most receptive to the idea of this beer, then took the plunge. Yet still I was underprepared for the unmitigated foulness of this beer.

I didn't eat the pepper, so it only affects appearance: it's a sloppy, squishy, slug that I'm almost too squeamish to touch long enough to throw out. The beer's head is small, but has huge bubbles and cavities. All gone in two seconds. What's left is a clear, gold beer that's just a little darkish. I've seen uglier. The smell actually isn't bad. Some grainsiness under the pepper makes this smell like a jalapeno bun. Huge chili pepper in the front masks what seems to be a little sweet corn. Hiding in the middle is a little tangy malt. Beneath the overpowering spice it's really quite sweet, but in a sick way. Some nuts on the finish go almost unnoticed in the mouth and throat burn of the swallow. That's one spicy hot liquid. Hard to pick out other flavors.

Overall, what didn't get poured out was easily the most disgusting thing I've drunk. I gagged as it circled the drain.

kbub6f, Apr 02, 2004
1.05/5  rDev -37.1%

Appearance:
If these beer has anything resembling anything that is good it is it's appearance. Head is light and color is golden clear.

Smell:
Chili pepper and Bud. Smells very spicy and unappealing.

Taste:
Without question the most disgusting beer I have ever had. Absolutly terrible. SUPER spicy in mouth. Tastes like you are drinking carbonated hot sauce. Nasty stuff. Finish is ultra hot as well.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like someone poured flaming coals in mouth. Terrible.

Drinkability:
I couldn't even finish the beer. Unbearable taste... If you are into super spicy food maybe you would like this... but I hated it.

jsolack, Mar 17, 2004
1.35/5  rDev -19.2%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of trying. A friend of mine told me that the beer was bad, but drinking is believing. I went ot the local liquor store and picked up a six pack of bottles. It took four of us nearly 2 weeks to finish the six pack, and even then all were drunk due ot series of dares and challenges.

this beer has a terrible CHILI after taste that gets progressively worse. Someone noted that chili juice may be seeping out of the chili while youre drinking, making the remaining beer in the bottle more spicy. Whatever the reason, this beer gets progressively harder to drink. 12oz = 30 minutes of PURE TORTURE!

drabmuh, Mar 10, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Holy Christ on a crutch, this is some bad beer! Pours a pale yellow color with no head to speak of and, of course, a jalapeno that floats around in the glass. The aroma is, well, let’s just say that I thought I had accidentally opened a bottle of salsa rather than a beer. Jalapenos and chili peppers are the only things noticeable in the taste as they completely overpower anything else that might be there. This might be useful as a marinade (I think I’ll try it on some chicken breasts this weekend), but it won’t be making another appearance in my beer glass.

Morris729, Feb 28, 2004
1.53/5  rDev -8.4%

After all of the bottles I drank that no one else wanted, I haven't actually reviewed this?! Okay. The chile on the bottom should be your first warning; packaging in clear glass so you can see it is the second. After that, you're on your own. I don't know if they actually use chiles when brewing or fermenting; but I suspect they just plonk the pepper in and off it goes. Cause it taste more like the liquid you drain from a jar of peppers. This was one of the beers that pushed me to make my own chile beers, though, and they taste a helluva lot better than this.

DrunkMcDermott, Feb 08, 2004
1.45/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a yellow/gold body with a no head. The most interesting aspect of its appearance of course was the slimy pepper floating around in the glass.

The nose was pure chili pepper. It actually didn’t smell to bad, more like salsa with a few light beer overtones.

The taste was pure chili pepper also. A substantial amount of heat from the pepper taboot. I could taste a little malt, but after the first taste it was all chili pepper burn.

Essentially this beer is a novelty and almost undrinkable by itself. Although I could see this being a wonderful beer to cook with, possibly in chili. Another use would be mixed with tomato juice for a Red Eye or other beer/tomato juice combo. It definitely reminded me of a bloody mary with too much tabasco.
But as a beer by itself, I’ll pass.

taez555, Jan 29, 2004

An interesting beer to try. The beer has an initially cool feeling to it, but then the heat comes to the back of the throat. Very low, if any, carbonation to the beer. Which is probably good, because the carbonation would probably just agitate the heat in your throat more. I like spicy heat, but this beer would most likely only be good used in a marinade.

paganbeast, Jan 04, 2004
1.23/5  rDev -26.3%

I was dreading having to sample this beer. Being the completist that I am, I feel I have the duty to sample beers from each end of the spectrum: from great to disgusting. Believe me, this beer is truly repulsive. The full title of this beer is "Crazy Ed's Original Cave Creek Chili Beer," and whoever Ed is he must be crazy to actually think that somebody might enjoy this stuff.

The chili pepper floating in the bottle did add some "cool factor" to the beer, worth about 1/2 a point to the appearance. Other than that this beer has that cheap beer color of yellow with some gold hints. No head forms on this one, and some soapy white bubbles are as close of a head as there's gonna be on this one. The aroma is of strong, spicy chilis and not really all that bad (and was rather expected). The mouthfeel, aside from the burning is the same, cheap fizzy mouthfeel that you'll find in a pack of NattyBeastStone. The flavor is completely dominated by the chilis; there is no beer flavor here whatsoever. No malt, hops, or even adjunct grains. The flavor is like vinegar in its approach, and this stuff REALLY burns going down. I enjoy spicy Mexican, BBQ or Chinese as much as any red blooded male, but this is undrinkable. The burning persists through the aftertaste, and the only warmth you'll find in this beer is not from the alcohol but from the chilis.

I split this 12 oz. bottle with my brother. I took 2 sips and down the drain it went. Under normal circumstances, 2 sips isn't even enough to review the shoddiest beer, but I assure you that this beer has nothing else to offer besides the "flavors" I have described. As for my brother, he is a better man than I and finished his entire glass (albeit with much grimacing). This beer was a first for me as it was my first ever drain pour.

I guess you can say I was lucky I was able to buy a single bottle of this, because I pity those stuck purchasing the entire six-pack. Would this be good in recipes? I don't know and I don't care to find out. For the sake of completion and Beer Advocacy, I got this truly wretched beer out of the way. I'll tell some "war stories" to my friends about this one.

Beastdog75, Jan 01, 2004
1.15/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a pale transparent yellow with light carbonation, no head at all. Nose is corn, light hops and fruity chile pepper. (This beer is actually packaged with a complete serrano chile in each bottle. Pepper was not removed for this sample.)

First taste is vile. Acrid, sour and so acidic as to be uncomfortable. No trace of beer, or hops, or malts, or sugars as everything is dominated by the fruity, pungent serrano. Like drinking the juice directly from a can of pickled chiles.

Makes one cough with the acid in the back of the throat. Difficult to get a complete flavor profile as the pepper dominates all other aspects. No stranger to spicy foods myself but not in my beers. Drain pour, completely undrinkable.

assurbanipaul, Dec 26, 2003
1.48/5  rDev -11.4%

Every bit as bad as it sounds, this beer is loaded with hot chili pepper heat. The golden body has no decent head and leaves no lace. The aroma is the best part of this beer imparting a reasonably sane spiced aroma. But from flavor to feel to drinkability, this odd brew really bombs. No significant use except to get back at someone you don't like.

AtLagerHeads, Dec 15, 2003
1.45/5  rDev -13.2%

I've yet to meet anyone who actually likes this beer. And the reason, I've concluded is this, it SUCKS! The human reaction to extremely hot spices in the mouth is to extinguish the heat with a liquid beverage. Well in this case, it's the beverage that causes horrible heat, so what's one to do?
It pours an innocent enough dull gold color with a thin white head. The aroma of hot pepper and corncob does not yet reveal the danger that lurks inside. The flavor of wet corn is almost immediately KO'd by the overly intrusive raw heat of the chili seeds. Stupidly, I took a second swig and was once again repulsed by its overly aggressive heat wallop. I like hot peppers just not in my favorite beverage. This stuff assaulted my taste buds and ruined desire to eat or drink anything for several hours.

BeerResearcher, Dec 07, 2003
1.4/5  rDev -16.2%

The beer pours a hazy golden color with absolutely no head. The aroma is very spicy. It smells of jalepeno peppers. The taste is hotter than hell. It goes down like cheap liquor. The taste of peppers is overpowering. The mouthfeel is terrible. There is no carbonation and it is medium bodied. It drinks horribly.

WesWes, Dec 05, 2003
1.02/5  rDev -38.9%

This is awful.

Yes. awful.

I am bringing you a review from the past. It has taken me years just to muster the courage to bring it to print.

This pours out to the usual, yellow beer of its style.

Aroma is that of chemicals and milk-doused and soaked corn cereal.

Taste is unexplaineable. Mullder and Scully and hell, even the smoking man could not figure this one out. The taste is that of burnt veggies and stale water. Yes, stale water...and burnt veggies.

The mouthfeel? C'mon, think about it. You are a 8 year old kid trying in vain to swallow the nasty can peas...yes, the mouthfeel is similar to this, but mix in the cream corn with the peas and you will know what I mean.

Drinkability? None. Awful. Ugh.

proc, Dec 04, 2003

This is off the charts horrible. It looks bad, it smells completely unlike anything resembling beer, it tastes like...like, a spicier version of the pickled pepper juice on the table at Steak and Shake. Mouthfeel is undetectable because you just feel a burning sensation in your mouth. Drinkability?!?! This is better graded on a scale of swallowability.

Jables, Dec 01, 2003
2.45/5  rDev +46.7%

Despite all the horrid reviews and the warnings of friends, I consumed two of these tonight. The fact that I downed two is a good sign, since I could stomach the second one.

It pours like an ordinary pilsner, golden, but with a little less head than usual. The smell is earthy and very peppery. It has an honest habanero flavor and a spice that might offend some. I was told that this beer actually goes well when mixed with V-8, and I'm tempted to try it one day.

It's not as bad as I thought, but it's not particularly good either. Bring the Rolaids along.

cncbofh, Nov 13, 2003

It's not often that I can't even gag down a beer. This one was horrible. Yes they scored huge on creativity, but that is not an option here. A urine looking beverage, that I wouldn't even beginn to call a beer. There was no head at all. There was really no taste, the burning killed whatever taste this could ever have, but I'm guessing that is the point. This was a failure.

CBFanWish, Nov 04, 2003
2.05/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

poured with a violent white head and disappeared into nothing, very yellow-pale color (looks a lot like piss). smells like tabasco-jalapeno's, not hint of a thing remotely resembling a beer...just peppers. 1st sip is wierd, within the first 1/10 of a second you think this might taste like an ordinary pale lager/ale but then the chili's smack you in the face and throat and mouth. kinda spicey peppery hottness, not really burning but I think it would've been if I could have finished the bottle.

shippos, Oct 31, 2003
1.13/5  rDev -32.3%

I don't get it. I love chili, I love hot Mexican and thai food, yet I couldn't finish this stuff. It was awful. I gave a bottle to a friend, and told him to either sip it while he was ice fishing, just to keep warm or to pour it in a pitcher of a drunken asshole. In spite of this the next time I went to my favorite beer store, I saw a woman walking out with two six packs of this. I just starred at her. I couldn't believe it.

grynder33, Oct 23, 2003
1.93/5  rDev +15.6%

Golden straw color--very clear and decidedly devoid of a decent head. While the typical ho-hum malts are present in the nose, it is dominated by the sharp smell of hot peppers. Striking and interesting? Yes. Compelling and well-integrated? No. The basic taste is as mainstream as the smell--grains with some hops up front, but I suspect that hoppy sensation is more a result of the pepper than anything. That hot bite hits quick and hard. I like hot stuff, but it's best when integrated with other tastes. That is decidedly not the case here. I finished my bottle (enough for a lifetime), but my comrade-in-suds did not.

BitteBier, Oct 22, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -10.2%

Okay, so for the novelty effect alone, this beer scores high. However, from my experience, it is not actually very drinkable. It pours out from its clear bottle a questionable amber colour, a bit of sediment, PLOP, a chili pepper, and then practically no head whatsoever. It smells of hot spice and fermented vegetable. It tastes like a hot chili pepper, no more, no less, that's all there is to it folks. More of a texture than a flavour. Nothing else is even remotely discernable. Just spicy, spicy hot pepper. Mouthfeel burns, the pallet, the throat, the lips. It still tingles a bit. Drinkability is entirely low on my list, I finished yet another one of these in the mocking company of my drinking companion who didn't know any better. In fact not only did he eat his chili pepper, but mine as well when I offered it to him. You have my respect goldenboy, your intestinal lining is far more iron-clad than mine. In the end this is nothing but a great novelty beer to fuck up your friends with, especially the ones who aren't aware of what to expect.

IronDjinn, Oct 06, 2003
2.98/5  rDev +78.4%

This beer's an extremely clear, light yellow. There was a small white head during pouring, but that disappeared instantly. There does, however, seem to be a trail of bubbles jetting out the stem of my chili pepper, which is floating on top of my now-headless pint. The aroma is surprisingly malty for such a light-colored beer, and has only a very slight hint of hot pepper in it, which I'd never pick out in a blind test. The body in the first sip is extremely thin, with a slight light malt taste, but as I'm realizing that, my attention is quickly drawn to the burning sensation starting at the back and sides of my throat, which rapidly intensifies and spreads. With each sip I can get a quick flavor of malt before the pepper takes over and seems to attack my whole mouth and throat and even crawls up into my sinuses. As I drink on, I get more used to the spiciness, and the pepper actually has a pretty nice flavor. With my palate attenuating to the spice, I think I can actually pull a slight hop character out from below in the finish.

This is a very interesting beer, and in my opinion, enjoyable for what it is. My imagination runs away with the possibilities for food pairings! But I don't know if that in itself makes it a good beer. The pepper flavor and spice seems to stand completely separate from the beer. It would be great if it was somehow better blended, or supported by a base beer with some more interesting, complementary, flavors.

Stopper, Sep 24, 2003
1.18/5  rDev -29.3%

Just overwhelming pepper, no other taste. Light straw color, no head to speak of. The bottle does look nice - if I had a wet bar I wouldn't mind having it up on the shelf. The only purpose I can see would be for cooking, this would be nice to use when cooking some meat for chili, or boiling up some sausages before throwing them on the grill. I'd give it a 3/5 as a recipe ingredient beer. Otherwise put some tobasco and a jalapeno in a bud and you've got the same beer for less money.

mschofield, Sep 05, 2003
1.1/5  rDev -34.1%

There's not much I can add to what everyone else has said. This is not beer, it's an evil spirit disguised as beer. My experience was that this was about the 5th beer of the evening, so I wasn't in prime beer judge mode. So, they hand me this beer, cute, pepper in it, I like pepper. So, I drink. Hot. HOT! Well, I have this nice cold beer, I'll just take a drink to cool off: HOT! Well, I have this nice cold beer, I'll just take a drink to cool off: HOT! Repeat. It’s more of a Chinese finger trap than a beer.

HardTarget, Aug 19, 2003

Admittedly, the appearance does not deserve a "1." I mean, your beer would basically have to look like fecal water when it was supposed to be crystal clear and golden in order to really get a 1.

But since I intended to rate the beer "-1" in all the other categories, I figure that it balances out.

This is the worst thing ever created. It smells like fermented jalepenos. And since when did it become legal to put poison into beer? I ask only because I feel like I'm going to hurl. I appreciate the novelty, but this doesn't work at all. If I wanted to drink hot sauce, I'd drink hot sauce -- but it would be red, thick, saucy, and have some real flavor. Just horrendously overpowering chili flavors. I'd rather drink the juice from El Paso pickled/bottled jalepenos than ever touch this again. It's novel, I suppose.

Not that I'm opinionated about it.

A hearty "thanks" to trbeer for the sample. ;-) (And as a good BA pal, he was kind enough to warn me thoroughly in advance.)

PS - Try Rogue Mexicali if you're looking for the peppery kick. It's, you know, drinkable. Like beer is supposed to be.

marburg, Aug 01, 2003
Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.