Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002

Ratings: 269 | Reviews: 230

Having no idea where it came from, and having appeared as if by the dark magics of some hellish evil intent not on killing me, but utterly destroying any hope and peace in my soul, I am convinced that this was sent to me by none other than the Lord of Darkness himself. His evil task may have been accomplished.
There's a chili in here. Cool, right? No. Cue Admiral Ackbar: "It's a trap!" Looks like liquid gold, though. Maybe it is; that would explain what it did to my bowels. But that's a story for another time. And the head...wait. I couldn't quite catch it before it decided it couldn't abide this brew. Bad news.
There's chili in here, right? Well, I can almost tell by smelling it. What is that really, though? Vegetables...tomatoes? Oh...there's the chili pepper. That it could hide and then hit so strong seems an omen of dark things to come. This smells and looks like a Mexican dish pit worker needed a place to defecate and somehow, by the powerful magics Mexicans possess as a people, managed to squeeze one in here with his remarkable anal agility. He then poured some dish water in here along with a little floor cleaner. Oh yeah, and he still had to pee and was severely dehydrated...if you get the drift.
The taste...the stuff of nightmares. Parents tell their children that if they don't go to sleep, Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer will find them...and there will be no mercy. Flavorless hot sauce with only heat (I cannot emphasize enough that there's no chili flavor, just heat...) is poured into a mixture of the worst, flattest, most despicable attempt at beer ever made, along with urine, the souls of children, and a mixture of dead kittens and my shattered hopes and dreams. My insides hurt. One sip was enough for the destruction to begin. I'm usually a trooper, but this was poured after three sips, each one by which I lived a lifetime in Hell only to swig another. Between drinking this and watching this:

while being slowly digested inside the fat folds of a sexually ambitious 1,500 pound man, I'm going with the latter.
The mouthfeel: suffering. It burned, and it was like drinking a sacrificial mixture of baby's blood, castor oil, liver oils, and wicked intentions to Molech. My bowels burn with unquenchable fire. The flame reaches through my innards to reach my soul, and it has claimed me.

So...three reconstructive surgeries later, and being a mere shadow of the man I was once was, devoid of the very semblance of humanity, let me speak to the apologists: No, this is not a good beere if you're just looking for something with heat. It is not "a good chili flavor in a crappy beer." It is a soul-destroying abomination. Take it away!
Drinkability of 2 for satanists, occultists, and those without souls.

Edit: "Drinkability" has been changed to "Overall?" DOWN TO 1!

1.37/5  rDev -18.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a golden yellow color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

S- Not a whole lot going on in the aroma. The chili pepper is definitely there but it's pretty faint.

T- The taste starts off with just a touch of beer flavor but is quickly taken over by spicy pepper flavors. There is a lot more spicy heat in this one, a lot more than expected.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- This was a drainpour, each sip became increasingly difficult to consume. I did not enjoy this one at all.

1.53/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Deep gold, crystal clear, frothy head which dissipated relatively quickly - 3.25, S: You can smell the chili, but the stronger aroma is of lettuce, the beer is very fresh and green, but I can't really get beyond the lettuce aromas - 2.50, T: Lots of heat from the chilies that really destroy the palate and prohibits much else from coming through, I've had chili beers that work wonderfully but this one totally misses the mark in my opinion, a more solid malt base might mask some of the heat, but on a lager it is overwhelmed, if you like heat maybe this will float your boat - 1.00, M: Slightly oily - 1.50, D: Drinkable? Not in the least bit, I remember having this beer a decade ago and pouring it down the drain it was so atrocious, had this bottle not been a gift I would never have put a drop of this to my lips, the scariest thing is that the beer has been around for so long, it is obviously a gag/gimmick beer because I have a hard time finding much of anything redeeming - 1.00

2.23/5  rDev +32%

So since my entire family knows I am on BA they seem to "find" interesting brews for me to try. Now I do appreciate this, but the brew my brother-in-law got (he is a big chili guy) was not typical in any way.

In the clear glass bottle the chili sits at the bottom "resting". Once the bottle is opened it seems as if the slight carbonation lifts the chili to the top of the glass (hence the higher appearance scoring for originality). Poured into a pint glass this beer has no head, what little carbonation there was fizzles out. The chili sinks to the bottom. The aroma is almost nothing but chili with a mild hint of malts. The flavor is like taking a watered down "light" beer and pouring chili juice and crushed black pepper. Not so much a hot taste but in no way refreshing. It actually makes you more thirsty. And to finish the chili is not even any good, chewy and bland.

I have been told that is it similar to a beer/tomato/hot sauce drink minus the tomato juice, but not my style anyway. Unusual and original but I don't see the true beer spirit; more leaning to the chili draw of it.

2.55/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

A- Light clear golden orange with no head. A small skinny green pepper sits at the bottom of my glass drooling bubbles.
S- Spicy peppers, tomato paste, and dorito's.
T- Tabasco sauce spiked adjunct lager. No flavors come through other than hot chile peppers.
M- Spicy hot with a sweet finish. My mouth is burning pretty badly.

Overall- This would be interesting to drink with pizza. Too hot and spicy for me. A unique gimmicky beer.

**I turned the bottle upside down before opening and pouring. I'm sure this increased the
hotness!**

2.58/5  rDev +52.7%

I needed an Arizona rate, well this is it... Sorry Arizona I know you can do better!

A: Pours golden yellow like your typical pale macro lager. It manages no head but a steady stream of bubbles do race to the top throughout. No lace.

S: Very one dimensional... peppers and more peppers.

T: There is no way that malt or hops could stand up to the pepper flavor in this one. Tons of spice but not alot of heat. Tastes like a powered pepper spice I once tried.

M: Very thin, not alot of carbonation on the tongue.

D: Nah, I would cook with it though. Not my cup of tea nor anyone elses. That being said it is still much better than I expected... ie: I did not induce vomiting.

1.4/5  rDev -17.2%

This is, essentially, the kind of beer you drink on a dare and only on a dare. The smell is typical lager with some chili around the edges, but after two sips all you have is the heat, and I'm not sure on the first sip I even had anything but the heat. Just a crappy tasteless lager with a chili pepper slipped in.

I do remember a somewhat substantial mouthfeel, but I wouldn't trust my heat-seared mouth.

It's unfortunate, because I think a chili beer could be an interesting thing to drink, but I would want the chili to be incorporated in the brewing process, not seared over the top afterwards. Basically chili-flavored alcoholic dishwater.

2.69/5  rDev +59.2%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. No retention and no lacing. Smells of chili pepper strongly and then some underlying yeast characteristic. Fits the style of a Chili Beer. Smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level and the most heat I've had in a beer. Tastes of pepper up front of course, then the heat a spice come through strongly, slight yeast cleanliness, and some barely distinguishable pale malt in the background. A little different than I'm used to; not a beer brewed with pepper, but instead a beer brewed and then a pepper placed into after the beer is made. Just flavoring the beer not brewing with the pepper.

2.71/5  rDev +60.4%

Cave Creek Chili Beer is a pale yellow, straw colored beer with no head that smells like hot peppers. It's thin, watery and bubbly in the mouth. It tastes like, well, chili peppers. It's pretty spicy. All I can really taste is the pepper. Yeah, it's crappy, but any kind of spice excites me, so I ended up chugging the rest of the bottle after everyone else that took a sip screamed in disgust. It tastes like burning. I wonder how this would be with a lime, or lime and salt, or lime and salt and ice... I probably won't bother to find out.

1.24/5  rDev -26.6%

Admittedly, I purchased this beer out of morbid curiosity. It's got such a bad rap on here that I couldn't resist the temptation to see what all the fuss was about. It may be the front runner in the "wholly godawful" category on BA.

It does not disappoint

First, before I even poured this abomination, the presence of the sickly, demon turd green pepper at the bottom of the bottle was enough to almost make me lose my nerve. This beer has sat in the bottom of the fridge for a long time, because its terrifying appearance intimidates me too much. It's a little like the feeling one would have if there was a jello salad made with rusty nails sitting in your fridge to greet you every time you opened the door. You, like me, would just kind of let it sit there. Kind of like what my mom always said about bees (and bears for that matter) If you leave it alone, it will leave you alone.

Let's get on with this.

The appearance (once poured) is absolutely...stunningly... horrifying. The head literally ran away. Sprinted. Panicked. Mortified to be a crown resting atop the head of this profane and evil king. Once the head was gone forever, which took fewer seconds than I have fingers, the pepper took the plunge, resulting in a sound that was like a mini version of taking a shit. As it floated (also shitlike) back to the top of the glass,
I noticed a gratuitous amount of oily slickness on the surface of the beer.

Gross.

If you've never smelled this insane concoction, and want an identical substitute, go to any cheap Mexican restaurant, and smell the weird carrot/jalapeno mix. It smells precisely the same. No beer smell. No anything smell, except for jalapeno and saltiness. Yuck.

The taste is carbonated pickled jalapeno juice. No malt or hops to be found. I almost don't believe that it is actually a beer. It may be artificially colored carbonated water with jalapeno oils. Sick.

The mouthfeel is hard to even pay attention to. Mouthfeel is a difficult enough sensation to experience specifically, especially when disgusting flavors are clamboring for your attention. Even if this category was a five, which it most certainly is not, it would not be even remotely enough to redeem this atrocity.

Drinkability? Laughable. How drinkable is microwaved cat urine? Poo tea? This has the lowest drinkability of something that is biologically safe to drink. In fact, psychologically, it's not safe to drink.

You should get some to try it, and redefine the word "bad" for yourself

1.43/5  rDev -15.4%

I saw this on the dollar beer rack today and figured why not. I had to try something so famous for being shitty. I'm a little scared honestly.

Poured from a 12 oz. clear bottle complete with chili in it into a pilsener glass.

Appearance is like any other macro yellow lager. Fizzy like a soda, a white head forms but instantaneously disappears. A green chile floats on top. It's not horrid looking, but I would prefer at least some sort of sign of head on this.

Aroma is basically just rancid chile. Now don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest fans of hot food and chiles and I can take the heat. This however, just smells putrid. Now I'm not sure I wanna taste this...

Taste is not quite as bad as I was expecting, but that's not saying much - it's still pretty terrible. There's a slight sweetness at the start but it is quickly extinguished by a fiery heat. The heat isn't what bothers me. It's the macro lager taste and old chile that makes this terrible.

Mouthfeel is actually pretty solid, it's got a medium body with a pretty smooth touch.

Well this one basically blew as much as advertised. There was one thing I thought was good about this beer. It actually has the heat that I have been looking for in other chile beers. Add this heat to a robust porter and we might have something delicious. This however has such a terrible taste that the heat is it's only saving grace (an oxymoron) because it gets rid of the horrid taste. Whatever you do, don't buy a six pack of this stuff, but if you can get a single I do think it's worth trying at least once, just so you know what the heat of a real chile beer should be like, but also what the base beer should not be.

2.92/5  rDev +72.8%

Being a huge Capsaicin addict, I was actually quite thrilled to try this one. I've always been a chili head, and it's one of my other passions besides beer. I pour hot sauce on everything, and have 40+ bottles of legendary sauces in my fridge.

Just like beer, with peppers I can't get enough.
Now the 2 together? This will be quite interesting.

My bottle slightly differs from the original, it's still Cave Creek Chili Beer, but it says it's brewed by Black Mountain Brewing.

This one pours out pale yellow, with huge amounts of carbonation - producing a solid head.

The aroma has a mix of jalapeños, green chilies, green bell peppers, cilantro, sauteed onions, with a backing of malt.

The taste is actually no where near as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Starts out with a fresh cut jalapeño slice note, on par with the hotness of the actual jalapeño itself. A bit of sweetness and backing of malt help to balance the spiciness. Finishes with a lingering burn on the back of your throat and onwards to your stomach.

Be warned, the beer is not hot if you sip on it. But chug it, or drink it fast - and the heat level amps up quite a bit.

I don't see why this beer gets the wrap as one of the worst beers ever. As it's honestly not that bad, maybe because I love peppers and beer? Possibly. I still say give this one the chance, it's worth the experience.

1.51/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Odd yellow color with a small head.

S: Smells like spicy chili and low quality beer.

T: Tastes just as it smells. Overly strong and not very enjoyable, bad beer with a bad chili taste.

Overall: I get what the idea of chili beers are trying to go for. This was not it. It's not enjoyable at all and tastes like chili peppers in poor adjunct beer.

1.17/5  rDev -30.8%

There are chili beers, then there is Crazy Ed's. The presentation isn't really that impressive when the chili is more of a gray color. Pours, without the chili, a lemony yellow color with great clarity. Needed a lot of help and still left no foam what so ever. Sure chili beers will have limited head, but this is nothing.

The nose is super peppery. No real notes of a beer underneath. Typically with pepper beers you should have a good mix of both peppers and beers. But just smells like habanero. Some heat in the nostrils.

The taste is one dimensional. At first there is a grainy flavor with noticeable oxidation and cardboard flavors. Some noticeable butyric/dirty drain notes. This is quickly followed up with a spicy heat from more of a serrano chili flavor that lingers. The heat is strong and really doesn't balance. Another taste, off lager like beer followed up by a hot chili flavor. After a while you can't really taste the beer as the chili over powers everything.

Ended up dumping what I had. Sure chili beers should be hot, but they should also be balanced. This is not balanced at all. And what hints of beer notes there are, are off and really need help. I suppose this is one of those bump your chest, double dog dare you beers. To me its not good.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

I couldn't resist the urge - the pepper must be calling my name.

Clear bottle (oh, oh) showing a light golden color. Pepper floating on the top. I guess I'll give an extra for appearance for the floating Pepper. Smells like chili/peppers. I usually love chlli, but my beer smelling like one? Burning taste (can I call it a taste). Spicy. Novelty beer that is destined for the drain.

Do yourself a favor, and resist the urge (I couldn't and regret it)...

1.12/5  rDev -33.7%

I had a taste of this at a friends house..

Served in a clear corona-like bottle with a jalapeno in it.
Color is a light yellow.
Smells like stale corn and hot sauce.
Taste burns and burns. Simply awful.
Ick!
This is a great beer for a joke. It should be sold in a novelty shop.

My friend tried the jalapeno and said there wasn't much flavor left.

2.26/5  rDev +33.7%

what a mind-phuck. I have never, never imagined...

the look is taken two ways: do you enjoy a giant fizzy floating chile in your beer? if so, 5. if not, 1.

smells like I just opened a damn can of jalapeno peppers.

taste is a novelty. a spicy, indiegstion filled sip of chile. the beer takes a big back seat because you can't taste it. the spice gets in the way. but, I love spicy stuff. so this 'beer' is actually very appealing to me.

interesting feel. like a burning kool-aid.

well, what can I say? is this beer for most people. oh hell no. is it for anyone? not really. I love spicy food and spicy drinks (bloody mary) but this maintains NONE of its beer flavor. I drink it for one time only, and beyond that, never again.

1.18/5  rDev -30.2%

A friend poured me a glass of this "beer" and handed it to me. Pours clear yellow with a moderate white head. Aroma of wheat and peppers. Thinking it was not a cruel joke, I drank it. Taste is jalapeno pepper and grain. Finish is jalapeno pepper.

After sampling this "beer" I asked myself why someone would craft such a concoction. Beer should not burn, but the creator of this should.

1.6/5  rDev -5.3%

I decided to finally crack this one open when the family was over last night. I have had chili beers before, but this one made me nervous to say the least. Twelve ounce bottle was served as cold as I could make it and poured into 4 taster glasses. Consumed on 11/14/2008.

At first look, the WTF is this comes across your face. Pale, piss colored yellow liquid with virtually no carbonation or head. The only thing that set it apart from apple juice the the chili floating in it.

The aroma was, I do not even know where to start with this one. It was a dull macro lager with hot sauce dumped in it, that was about it. Then I took a taste, holy sheep. This was just awful. So insanely hot that you cannot even get past the first sip. I have had others like Ring of Fire, that I really actually enjoyed, but this was just too much. Nothing redeeming here at all. It took me damn near an hour to get back my sense of taste, and it was still not the same. A very thin feel, well what you could tell before your mouth got torn apart again, good grief, this thing was rough,

This was one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Nothing here redeeming, even in a style that most may not like, this was at the bottom. Never again.

1.51/5  rDev -10.7%

So this looks interesting. A pepper in a beer.

Looks like Bud with a pepper in it. Smells like peppers. Since everyone else railed on the spice I'm going to try to focus on the beer.

Can't really taste the beer through all the spice but even below all that spice I can tell you this is no premium lager. Its basically Miller High Life with added heat. The heat does its job but just has nothing to support it.

Lets not do that again. Maybe you could cook with this but I don't think its worth trying.

1.09/5  rDev -35.5%

Got this as part of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly BIF. This one scares me but not as much as the Chelada I had as part of the BIF. Poured from a 12oz clear bottle (so you can see the pepper) into a pint glass. It was a pale yellow color with some good carb especially around the pepper. It had a small very fizzy off-white head that bubbled up quickly and disappeared just as quickly.

The aroma was disgusting. Smelled like a jar of chili peppers. Not much behind it except peppers. Taste was just as awful. Hot and spicy with no discernable beer taste to it. Horrible aftertaste. Drain pour after a few sips.

Overall, absolutely disgusting. Avoid at all costs. Maybe this would work in a chili but definitely not to drink. Pure crap.

1.44/5  rDev -14.8%

A non-BA buddy bought a sixer of this out of morbid curiosity. He couldn't finish even one, but offered the rest to me becuase he knew I collect and try beer. Well, I fear no beer, right?

Clear bottle with an actual chili pepper floating in it. Seriously. Looks like some kind of gag beer. Let's see if the jokes on me. Cerveza con chile. A shade darker than fizzy yellow beer, but just a shade. Maybe half a shade. Head was a flash in the pan of pop, crackle, snap. The chili slid into my glass and sank to the bottom. It looks like a fucking turd with a tail. In my glass! Major turnoff, turd in my glass.

Smells like jalepenos. The smell isn't disgusting so much as out of place. Not good either. I have it in a wide open glass so every time I try to get a whiff, the eye-watering scent causes a tear to well up. Ok, I admit it, I'm scared. Just for a second though, I will try this beer.

Absolutely disgusting. Very hot! Like straight jalepeno juice. This isn't beer with chili, it's chilis with a drop of cheap beer. It burns on the way down, like snorting hot salsa. I like jalepenos on my pizza, and I like that burn, but this is different. Unexpected maybe.

Mouthfeel is like drinking drain-o.

Drinkability is 0. I know they won't let me put a zero, but drinkability is zero.

I shudder to think what a bottle of this would do to my intestinal tract. Probably be poopin' from places I've never pooped from before. I bet it would clean out my clogged shower drain though. And that's whats gonna happen to the rest of this. I usually man up and drink any beer I open no matter what, but screw that today. There's no way I'll put 12 oz of this in my system.

Overall: avoid

from the second i took my first sip my lips were on fire, the consept of this beer was good because i love spicey food and beer but this was hot and piss swill jamed together, this is the single most offensive thing that has ever crossed my lips. i had to pour out at least 60% of this pile of crap down the drain and switch to milk to get rid of the taste. this is the king of suck. the worst beer ever

1.8/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Poured a straw color with no head at all

S - Smells like a jalapeño and thats all beer smells don't get through

T - It tastes like fire its jalapeño water theres no taste but hot

M - This beer if you can call it that has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - Damn near undrinkable I'm getting some bad heartburn but at the same time in a sick sort of way I like it a little this was a beer that I had to get when I saw it in the name of science glad I only got one

1.33/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle suggests to serve this hot beer ice cold, well it was slightly frozen when I pulled it from the freezer but soon thawed. Aroma is spicy and peppery, Appearance is a slightly attractive bronze from the clear bottle. Hot on the palate with an intriguing hot pepper flavor. The aftertaste is such a shock that it really deters from a rather decent concept. I made sure that I had plenty o' beer in me and lots of salty snacks in front of me but I still had to choke this one down. Seriously buy one for each party you attend and give it to some poor sucker and enjoy the show cause this one turns your stomach sideways.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.