Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer - Chili Beer Co.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili BeerCrazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 02-04-2002

1.03/5  rDev -39.1%

I found this on sale for $1 a bottle, in the clearance carts at the Liquor Barn, in Lexington, Ky. That was a couple months ago, and now, in spite of the negative reviews, I am going to sample and review this one from an objective standpoint.

The pepper doesn't leave the bottle upon the first pour. The glass contains a pale, yellow body, with no lace. Second pour reveals a camo-green pepper, that has the appearance of a French cornichon.

Mouthfeel is painful. Hotness seems artificial, but it's there, and it's real.

Taste has some sweet malt background before the heat kicks in. This beer is unique, at least. The chili heat is, simply, unpalatable. If you can handle the hottest of the hot foods, you might be able to drink this.

This one is for anybody that can handle the hottest crap in the world. You have to be a masochist to drink this. It left blisters on my tongue and lips. The pepper has a decent appearance, and I saved it for future reference. This beer is a cruel joke. Buy a six pack for your worst enemies.

1.15/5  rDev -32%

This is the worst beer I have ever had, and I have had some bad beer. It has little color, no head, and I guess the chili eats up the carbonation. I got about half way through by shear force of willpower, but could not finish. As a fan of all things hot, weaned on buffalo wings made in upstate NY (not the wimpy things that pass for hot in the NYC area), I thought this had a chance. NO WAY. This is the only beer that I remember not finishing because it tasted too bad to drink. Never again.

I'll start off by saying that yes, i was influenced by other BAs opinions of this before i tried it. Many have regarded it as the worst beer in the world, i can now safely say i agree.

My friend brought 5 of these over after her dad made it through one and got a bout of the heartburn. We now have 4 left and will be distributing them to various poor-souls as jokes.

The taste of this beer is like rancid hot sauce. The appearance is so ghastly just the thought of it makes me almost pass out. The drinkability is so fucking poor i tried to give it negative 5 but 1 was as low as it goes. I had 3 sips and almost passed on to the afterlife.

To summerize, given the choice between just smelling this beer again or consuming 2 pints of industrial strenghth elephant poison i would in a heartbeat take the latter. Only buy this as a cruel joke, but dont expect the poor sap to get through more than a couple swigs.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

Question #1: Why isn't this beer in a dark brown bottle; isn't Crazy Ed afraid of skunking?
Answer #1: Because then we wouldn't be able to see the chili pepper floating in the neck of the bottle.
Question #2: So, is the gimmick more important that the integrity of the beer?
Answer #2: What do you think?

The pepper was thin enough to make it through the bottle and is now floating in my pint glass. The stem is under the surface of the beer and seems to have its own source of very vigorous carbonation. I'm having serious second thoughts about drinking this.

Light, bright lemon yellow. The pepper is olive green in case you were wondering. No head and no lace, I think the chili scared them off. The aroma, which has been assaulting my nostrils since I poured the beer, is a mix of sour beer and chili pepper juice. Ok, here goes...

Wow, this is terrible. A few sips told me all I needed to know. It's impossible to describe any sort of flavor; it's a hot, burning, furnace blast of chili pepper juice that immediately attacks my tongue and the lining of my mouth. I drink Scotch and bourbon whiskey (as high as 100-proof) neat, but my mouth can't handle this crap.

This isn't beer, it's a bad, unfunny joke. I wonder how this swill continues to be brewed and sold. Who exactly is buying sixers of this stuff (this was a single) for anything other than a prank on their buds? Anyone who likes beer, even a little, should stay away from this abomination. It should clear out my kitchen sink drain nicely, though.

2.56/5  rDev +51.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a pale yellow, no head, decent carbonation.

Smells like a Corona or other cheap beer. The pepper smell comes on stronger once the beer is poured and starts to warm up.

The taste is interesting. Kind of like nachos. A grainy, corny taste and pepper, lots and lots of pepper.

The mouthfeel is ok, decent carbonation, not too bad, but lots of pepper.

This is decent for what it is. The beer doesn't taste bad, as much as you can taste it, and the pepper taste is what it says on the label. My wife actually likes it a lot. "It hurts but I like it." she said, and she doesn't usually like peppers or any "out-there" kind of food. She recommends drinking it with nachos, just the chips or with all the trimmings. In fact, I couldn't finish this one because it was too hot, but she gladly took it from me. (She usually likes Blackout Stout or Abita's Turbo Dog.)
Drinkability is OK if you know what you're getting.

1.32/5  rDev -21.9%

Well, I had to try this beer just to see how bad it really was, and it was REALLY BAD! Spicy nose and spicy taste might have been alright if I were eating a burrito or something like that, but this is supposed to be beer. It isn't spicy upfront but moreso watery. However, the aftertaste is very spicy and burning. Not enjoyable in the least. Surprisingly the pepper had little spice to it at all, maybe it all went in the beer. How does this beer make any money (novelty?)

1.15/5  rDev -32%

bev·er·age (bvr-j, bvrj) n.
Any one of various liquids for drinking, usually excluding water.

While this beer is indeed a liquid, I can't imagine it was intended for drinking. It pours a pale yellow/straw color and looks mighty refreshing. Its hard not to notice the intense hot vapors floating around the room once in the glass. At first sniff one becomes intrigued with its uniquness. That is where the excitment ends...first sip starts ice cold and lifeless which quickly turns into flames and pain across the whole pallet. You swallow and feel the heat from head to toe. You like chili peppers? If yes....Continue drinking until severe heartburn develops, search for purple pill. If no...you probably already have heartburn. Go get a nice oatmeal stout to sooth the pain.
I'm usually a sucker for a hot blonde, and once again, I just got burned.

1.42/5  rDev -16%

A beer that should be left for cooking...
I got three of these bottles from our monthly beer club. The appearance isn't incredibly bad...it's a straw color with a thick head initially, however the head dies down in no time at all. The smell is purely of peppers, if you opened up a bottle of pickled jalapenos-that's pretty much what it smells like. The taste was I imagine pure capsicum would taste like if you drank it in liquid form...all spiciness no bitterness no maltiness, just liquid pepper. As far as my tolerance for spiciness, I'd say mine is about average for the non-Mexican, non-Indian person...this beer just burned the mouth completely though. Drinkability would be zero if I could give that low...i could barely get more than 3 sips down, and I had to dump the rest. I'm going to leave the last two bottles for making chili or something similar

1.27/5  rDev -24.9%

Oh. My. God.

I'd seen the numbers, heard the talk, read the reviews. So I waited until I thought I was most receptive to the idea of this beer, then took the plunge. Yet still I was underprepared for the unmitigated foulness of this beer.

I didn't eat the pepper, so it only affects appearance: it's a sloppy, squishy, slug that I'm almost too squeamish to touch long enough to throw out. The beer's head is small, but has huge bubbles and cavities. All gone in two seconds. What's left is a clear, gold beer that's just a little darkish. I've seen uglier. The smell actually isn't bad. Some grainsiness under the pepper makes this smell like a jalapeno bun. Huge chili pepper in the front masks what seems to be a little sweet corn. Hiding in the middle is a little tangy malt. Beneath the overpowering spice it's really quite sweet, but in a sick way. Some nuts on the finish go almost unnoticed in the mouth and throat burn of the swallow. That's one spicy hot liquid. Hard to pick out other flavors.

Overall, what didn't get poured out was easily the most disgusting thing I've drunk. I gagged as it circled the drain.

1.06/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance:
If these beer has anything resembling anything that is good it is it's appearance. Head is light and color is golden clear.

Smell:
Chili pepper and Bud. Smells very spicy and unappealing.

Taste:
Without question the most disgusting beer I have ever had. Absolutly terrible. SUPER spicy in mouth. Tastes like you are drinking carbonated hot sauce. Nasty stuff. Finish is ultra hot as well.

Mouthfeel:
Feels like someone poured flaming coals in mouth. Terrible.

Drinkability:
I couldn't even finish the beer. Unbearable taste... If you are into super spicy food maybe you would like this... but I hated it.

1.41/5  rDev -16.6%

This is the worst beer I have ever had the misfortune of trying. A friend of mine told me that the beer was bad, but drinking is believing. I went ot the local liquor store and picked up a six pack of bottles. It took four of us nearly 2 weeks to finish the six pack, and even then all were drunk due ot series of dares and challenges.

this beer has a terrible CHILI after taste that gets progressively worse. Someone noted that chili juice may be seeping out of the chili while youre drinking, making the remaining beer in the bottle more spicy. Whatever the reason, this beer gets progressively harder to drink. 12oz = 30 minutes of PURE TORTURE!

1.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Holy Christ on a crutch, this is some bad beer! Pours a pale yellow color with no head to speak of and, of course, a jalapeno that floats around in the glass. The aroma is, well, let’s just say that I thought I had accidentally opened a bottle of salsa rather than a beer. Jalapenos and chili peppers are the only things noticeable in the taste as they completely overpower anything else that might be there. This might be useful as a marinade (I think I’ll try it on some chicken breasts this weekend), but it won’t be making another appearance in my beer glass.

1.52/5  rDev -10.1%

After all of the bottles I drank that no one else wanted, I haven't actually reviewed this?! Okay. The chile on the bottom should be your first warning; packaging in clear glass so you can see it is the second. After that, you're on your own. I don't know if they actually use chiles when brewing or fermenting; but I suspect they just plonk the pepper in and off it goes. Cause it taste more like the liquid you drain from a jar of peppers. This was one of the beers that pushed me to make my own chile beers, though, and they taste a helluva lot better than this.

1.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

This beer poured a yellow/gold body with a no head. The most interesting aspect of its appearance of course was the slimy pepper floating around in the glass.

The nose was pure chili pepper. It actually didn’t smell to bad, more like salsa with a few light beer overtones.

The taste was pure chili pepper also. A substantial amount of heat from the pepper taboot. I could taste a little malt, but after the first taste it was all chili pepper burn.

Essentially this beer is a novelty and almost undrinkable by itself. Although I could see this being a wonderful beer to cook with, possibly in chili. Another use would be mixed with tomato juice for a Red Eye or other beer/tomato juice combo. It definitely reminded me of a bloody mary with too much tabasco.
But as a beer by itself, I’ll pass.

2.02/5  rDev +19.5%

An interesting beer to try. The beer has an initially cool feeling to it, but then the heat comes to the back of the throat. Very low, if any, carbonation to the beer. Which is probably good, because the carbonation would probably just agitate the heat in your throat more. I like spicy heat, but this beer would most likely only be good used in a marinade.

1.27/5  rDev -24.9%

I was dreading having to sample this beer. Being the completist that I am, I feel I have the duty to sample beers from each end of the spectrum: from great to disgusting. Believe me, this beer is truly repulsive. The full title of this beer is "Crazy Ed's Original Cave Creek Chili Beer," and whoever Ed is he must be crazy to actually think that somebody might enjoy this stuff.

The chili pepper floating in the bottle did add some "cool factor" to the beer, worth about 1/2 a point to the appearance. Other than that this beer has that cheap beer color of yellow with some gold hints. No head forms on this one, and some soapy white bubbles are as close of a head as there's gonna be on this one. The aroma is of strong, spicy chilis and not really all that bad (and was rather expected). The mouthfeel, aside from the burning is the same, cheap fizzy mouthfeel that you'll find in a pack of NattyBeastStone. The flavor is completely dominated by the chilis; there is no beer flavor here whatsoever. No malt, hops, or even adjunct grains. The flavor is like vinegar in its approach, and this stuff REALLY burns going down. I enjoy spicy Mexican, BBQ or Chinese as much as any red blooded male, but this is undrinkable. The burning persists through the aftertaste, and the only warmth you'll find in this beer is not from the alcohol but from the chilis.

I split this 12 oz. bottle with my brother. I took 2 sips and down the drain it went. Under normal circumstances, 2 sips isn't even enough to review the shoddiest beer, but I assure you that this beer has nothing else to offer besides the "flavors" I have described. As for my brother, he is a better man than I and finished his entire glass (albeit with much grimacing). This beer was a first for me as it was my first ever drain pour.

I guess you can say I was lucky I was able to buy a single bottle of this, because I pity those stuck purchasing the entire six-pack. Would this be good in recipes? I don't know and I don't care to find out. For the sake of completion and Beer Advocacy, I got this truly wretched beer out of the way. I'll tell some "war stories" to my friends about this one.

1.18/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a pale transparent yellow with light carbonation, no head at all. Nose is corn, light hops and fruity chile pepper. (This beer is actually packaged with a complete serrano chile in each bottle. Pepper was not removed for this sample.)

First taste is vile. Acrid, sour and so acidic as to be uncomfortable. No trace of beer, or hops, or malts, or sugars as everything is dominated by the fruity, pungent serrano. Like drinking the juice directly from a can of pickled chiles.

Makes one cough with the acid in the back of the throat. Difficult to get a complete flavor profile as the pepper dominates all other aspects. No stranger to spicy foods myself but not in my beers. Drain pour, completely undrinkable.

1.57/5  rDev -7.1%

Every bit as bad as it sounds, this beer is loaded with hot chili pepper heat. The golden body has no decent head and leaves no lace. The aroma is the best part of this beer imparting a reasonably sane spiced aroma. But from flavor to feel to drinkability, this odd brew really bombs. No significant use except to get back at someone you don't like.

1.54/5  rDev -8.9%

I've yet to meet anyone who actually likes this beer. And the reason, I've concluded is this, it SUCKS! The human reaction to extremely hot spices in the mouth is to extinguish the heat with a liquid beverage. Well in this case, it's the beverage that causes horrible heat, so what's one to do?
It pours an innocent enough dull gold color with a thin white head. The aroma of hot pepper and corncob does not yet reveal the danger that lurks inside. The flavor of wet corn is almost immediately KO'd by the overly intrusive raw heat of the chili seeds. Stupidly, I took a second swig and was once again repulsed by its overly aggressive heat wallop. I like hot peppers just not in my favorite beverage. This stuff assaulted my taste buds and ruined desire to eat or drink anything for several hours.

1.48/5  rDev -12.4%

The beer pours a hazy golden color with absolutely no head. The aroma is very spicy. It smells of jalepeno peppers. The taste is hotter than hell. It goes down like cheap liquor. The taste of peppers is overpowering. The mouthfeel is terrible. There is no carbonation and it is medium bodied. It drinks horribly.

1.03/5  rDev -39.1%

This is awful.

Yes. awful.

I am bringing you a review from the past. It has taken me years just to muster the courage to bring it to print.

This pours out to the usual, yellow beer of its style.

Aroma is that of chemicals and milk-doused and soaked corn cereal.

Taste is unexplaineable. Mullder and Scully and hell, even the smoking man could not figure this one out. The taste is that of burnt veggies and stale water. Yes, stale water...and burnt veggies.

The mouthfeel? C'mon, think about it. You are a 8 year old kid trying in vain to swallow the nasty can peas...yes, the mouthfeel is similar to this, but mix in the cream corn with the peas and you will know what I mean.

Drinkability? None. Awful. Ugh.

This is off the charts horrible. It looks bad, it smells completely unlike anything resembling beer, it tastes like...like, a spicier version of the pickled pepper juice on the table at Steak and Shake. Mouthfeel is undetectable because you just feel a burning sensation in your mouth. Drinkability?!?! This is better graded on a scale of swallowability.

2.35/5  rDev +39.1%

Despite all the horrid reviews and the warnings of friends, I consumed two of these tonight. The fact that I downed two is a good sign, since I could stomach the second one.

It pours like an ordinary pilsner, golden, but with a little less head than usual. The smell is earthy and very peppery. It has an honest habanero flavor and a spice that might offend some. I was told that this beer actually goes well when mixed with V-8, and I'm tempted to try it one day.

It's not as bad as I thought, but it's not particularly good either. Bring the Rolaids along.

It's not often that I can't even gag down a beer. This one was horrible. Yes they scored huge on creativity, but that is not an option here. A urine looking beverage, that I wouldn't even beginn to call a beer. There was no head at all. There was really no taste, the burning killed whatever taste this could ever have, but I'm guessing that is the point. This was a failure.

2.04/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

poured with a violent white head and disappeared into nothing, very yellow-pale color (looks a lot like piss). smells like tabasco-jalapeno's, not hint of a thing remotely resembling a beer...just peppers. 1st sip is wierd, within the first 1/10 of a second you think this might taste like an ordinary pale lager/ale but then the chili's smack you in the face and throat and mouth. kinda spicey peppery hottness, not really burning but I think it would've been if I could have finished the bottle.

Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer from Chili Beer Co.