1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 347 | Reviews: 180 | Show All Ratings:
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.99/5  rDev +45.9%

Sampling right now on 4/5/14. Had this before about 2 years ago. Wasn't there a 'Dave's Chili Beer' back in the 1990's? Anyway, not made in the USA but Mexico. 330ml (11.2oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a medium yellow in color with a small head that settles down to nothing to speak of as well as not much lacing to mention. The aroma is of pepper juice with some grains, like a Corona. The taste is a bit of heat from the pepper and actually like a spicy Corona. Lower carbonation and a bit on the light side. Ate the pepper at the end with a cracker. Overall, it is different and it was OK.

04-05-2014 21:14:18 | More by BeerWithMike
kgncfl

1.03/5  rDev -49.8%

Had this badboy while jamming my fingers into a pencil sharpener. After drinking most of it I used it to cauterize my sutures.

A-Looks like your standard swill beer, a light yellow bubbly pour, looked like it was trying desperately to make some kind of head, but nothing more than a thin layer of foam.

S-Like the bowels of a muskrat. If said muskrat was dead.

T- Hits you with a chili-swill beer taste that can only be described as hellish.

M-I drank it about an hour ago and I still have the hiccups, my mouth still burns. I fear that I've scarred my mouth for life.

O-Straight from the 7th plain of hell. Satan would be proud. Absolutely disgusting. Please don't drink this yourself.

02-27-2014 01:25:29 | More by kgncfl
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat.

02-03-2014 20:35:35 | More by JuicesFlowing
Richardbeerlover

2.1/5  rDev +2.4%

Take a beer. Any beer. Put some chiles in it and voila you can have your own custom chili beer. I like the heat and the taste was not too bad. However there is no body whatsoever and the beer itself is thin and watery. The only reason I even like this beer at all is because of the heat. But like I said just take your favorite beer and pop in some peppers and you will have your own custom great tasting chili beer. As far as the marketing it looks to me like an American guy decides to brew this beer in Mexico to give the appearance that this is a true chili beer. It's basically some guy brewing cheap crap in his garage. Won't be buying this one again.

11-10-2013 04:32:30 | More by Richardbeerlover
77black_ships

2.05/5  rDev 0%

33 cl. bottle sampled.

Ah, the infamous, Cave Creek Chili Beer, clear bottle & an old shrunken chilli and everything. Got some in a plastic cup, this looks exactly like a small urine sample in a plastic cup, if there ever a beer which deserved to get 0/5 on appearance, this is the one. Nose carries some vegetables, too bad, bit of a white sugar & low quality old oily chilli. Taste is too much vegetable juice upfront, herbs, corn, these are the flavours which make this brew not particularly pleasant, it is not that bad actually. Finish carries the burn, nice burn, not that brutal, heat level like this in a pale lager is not too bad, neat. The chilli is low quality & oily, too bad. Flat, too much vegetable notes & other things mentioned. Still as far as pale lagers go this one is not that bad.

10-23-2013 16:28:17 | More by 77black_ships
avalon07

South Carolina

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was no real head to speak of. A trace of lacing, but nothing substantial.

S: Not surprisingly, lots of chili, but little else. Very one dimensional.

T: Tasted of chili, chili, and more chili. There's a little bit of corn and malt, but these ingredients do not stand up to the chili onslaught. Like the aroma, the flavor is too one dimensional and grating.

M: A below average amount of carbonation and an abrasive finish. Light-bodied. Guaranteed to give you heartburn.

O: This style of beer is hard to get right. It can be easy to go overboard with the chilis. This is what happened with this one. Not recommended.

09-28-2013 12:31:55 | More by avalon07
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.41/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market.

09-20-2013 09:50:39 | More by flyingpig
Suds

1.89/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Okay, I have had a chili beer before. It must have been about 20 years ago, and I remember it being absolutely in undrinkable. No taste, just unbearable heat. So, that was the benchmark that I had in mind when I opened this bottle, a brew that my wife bought for me as a little surprise. First of alls, although it isn't good, it also isn't undrinkable. The smell is of green chilies. Maybe a little spicey pepper, and some adjunct macro lager veggie brew scents. The taste has heat, and it definitely distracts from the taste of the beer. But, it is not too much that the beer isn't drinkable. It is a nice, slow burning heat. Some mild sweetness in the beer. The heat prevents me from giving a really accurate description of the beer characteristics in themselves. Light body. I won't have another one (well, maybe in another 20 years), but it was interesting enough that, although I didn't like it, I don't regret trying.

09-14-2013 20:33:05 | More by Suds
woodychandler

3.79/5  rDev +84.9%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle.

08-29-2013 21:32:31 | More by woodychandler
alk3kenny

Georgia

3.86/5  rDev +88.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job.

07-16-2013 01:35:01 | More by alk3kenny
Falcon91Wolvrn03

1.24/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Appearance – A clear light golden color with little visible carbonation and a small head that disappears almost instantly. Has a chili floating inside.

Smell – A very light adjunct beer scent with chili. Although I like chilies ok, the chili/beer combination in this really wasn’t that pleasant; in fact it was kind of nasty. I didn't care much for smelling this whenever I took a sip.

Taste – Quite a bit of spiciness (but nothing close to their Crazy Ed’s Chili Beer). There are really no other flavors to speak of other than a light adjunct beer flavor, as the chili dominates the palate. The chili tasted rather plain when eaten.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat flat, thin, with a hot spiciness.

Drinkability – There’s not much flavor to this beer other than spicy chili, so it's not highly drinkable.

07-10-2013 04:43:35 | More by Falcon91Wolvrn03
yamar68

2.84/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I asked for chili beers and alelover called my bluff - well played Joel... well played.

Pours like something you shouldn't drink. Sort of an orange/yellow color that sits in the glass like apple juice.

Little to no heat on the schnoz... soft wheat and pils notes... some bready yeast and a suggestion of heat.

Honestly... not as atrocious as I expected. It's a flat pilsner with a chili pepper zing on the finish. It might make for a decent spicy beer if they didn't put a whole fucking pepper in the bottle. Why would you do that? It's cute, but it completely destroys the feel of the beer.

Boring. Spicy.

It's boring and spicy.

06-07-2013 03:19:59 | More by yamar68
Brenden

1.29/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it.

06-02-2013 00:48:59 | More by Brenden
MooSully

Kansas

2.61/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The chili pepper in the beer was a unexpected surprise. But outside of the chili pepper heat this beer is meh. Generic lager with pepper in it. The pepper is all in the back end of it so its not too hot too drink. Tried it once wouldn't get it again.

05-20-2013 04:15:17 | More by MooSully
DoctorQ9

2.05/5  rDev 0%

Ed Chileen is retired now, and his beer is contract-brewed in Tecate, Mexico. What they basically do is take a very average Mexican lager and squirt some pepper oil into the bottle. Seriously -- the quality control is so shoddy that I could not find a six-pack of Chili beer at BevMo where every bottle had a pepper in it! Yet even the pepperless bottles had the same chili taste.

If you want to experience the brew that Ed had originally conceived, then take any good, solid lager and pour it into a glass with 1/4 teaspoon of chili pepper oil mixed in. You will have a far better "chili beer" than this crap.

**UPDATE** I found a great substitute. Take cheap Mexican beer (I use Indio) and add 1 tablespoon of Italian Pepperoncini "juice" (drained from a jar of pepperoncini peppers).

03-31-2013 23:04:35 | More by DoctorQ9
YogiBeer

1.21/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I like writing long, eloquent reviews... but this beer doesnt deserve one.

tastes like you mixed corona with the pickling liquid in a jar of pickled jalapenos.
I poured a 2 oz sample of this for about 20 people. Not one finished their 2 oz sample. Unless you're trolling someone, or totally hate them... do not buy them this beer. Do not buy this beer yourself. Allow your friend who is new to the craft brewing scene to bring this to a party as a "joke" or "experiment," then quietly and discreetly pour yours out when everyone else is gagging on theirs.

Done.

01-22-2013 08:44:54 | More by YogiBeer
TheMarkE

3.13/5  rDev +52.7%

Muy picante.

This is basically a decent Mexican lager with a chili pepper in the bottle. Spicy, and unique. I have GOT to have a bottle of this next time I make my World Famous Chili.

Warning: Mere mortals may not be able to handle the heat! Personally, I found it to be a bit refreshing.

01-11-2013 23:10:57 | More by TheMarkE
SometimesIfart

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Very clear dark yellowish with no head. Pepper can clearly be seen through the bottle. Not entirely sure what kind of pepper it is however.

S - Obviously peppers, adjunct, a bit pepper extract like?

T - Slight amounts of pepper but predominantly adjuncty. Tastes like a spicy corona.

M - No carbonation and light bodied.

O - Overall, Pretty weird but not terrible. I'd like to try some more Chile Beers. I love hot foods so this thing wasn't very hot for me, Only mildly spicy.

12-26-2012 23:36:36 | More by SometimesIfart
tdm168

2.28/5  rDev +11.2%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more.

11-28-2012 01:12:17 | More by tdm168
DavidST

2.63/5  rDev +28.3%

I've heard bad things about this, but I figure its worth trying at least once. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, best before 6/22/13. This pours a clear light yellow with a pepper in the bottom and a short lived small head. The smells are of chili along with adjuncts, not much else. The feel is light. The taste is poor but unusual, a light amount of beer tastes upfront along with some pepper and chili burn.

10-19-2012 02:23:13 | More by DavidST
BeerFMAndy

3.1/5  rDev +51.2%

11.2 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Best Before 011313

A - Cave Creek Chili Beer pours, with the chili, an insanely effervescent and bubbly clear pale gold color. The bubbles don't seem to ever let up, feeding into the massive and well-retained (especially for a beer with a pepper in it!) pillar of white foam. I never thought I'd have a chili floating in my beer.

S - Mild notes of a macro adjunct lager hide behind the watered down aroma of a standard sport pepper container. Just picture opening a can of peppers, pouring out three-quarters of the liquid, peppers included, and filling the rest of the can with your favorite BMC and you've got yourself Cave Creek Chili Beer. It seems to fit the bill, so I can't say it's awful, but I will say I'm definitely not attracted to it.

T - At first Cave Creek Chili Beer tastes like a typical macro lager; light-bodied, incredibly fizzy, and damn near flavorless but the chili kicks in pretty quickly to change all that. It seems to briefly skip over the tongue with a preference to attack the back of your throat where it heats up and lingers, slowly warming up on the lips as well. Give your brain a few minutes to digest what's going on; chili in beer... and then you'll begin to pick up some balancing pilsner sweetness.

M - Just calling it spicy doesn't quite cut it, though it's not as "spicy" as one might imagine. This spice is actually balanced nicely in flavor with some sweet pilsner malts. Rather, the spiciness forgoes the tongue heat to, instead, linger in the back of the throat and on the lips (make sure you're not drinking this with chapped, cracked lips!) Very light bodied and as carbonation-rich as a soda, Cave Creek Chili Beer is, in some ways, appealing.

O - Cave Creek Chili Beer isn't just a beer, it's an experience. From the floating pepper in the beer to the spicy lager taste, this gold-labeled beer is unique to be sure. Certainly polarizing, Cave Creek Chili Beer won't appeal to everyone. In fact, it probably won't appeal to most people, but there's a market for it and if there's one beer I can think of that would go great with some Mexican food, it would be this beer. Per the label, it doesn't even seem to be brewed with a chili, rather, it's added to the bottle for the finished product which is pretty impressive, especially since it's not "off" and it doesn't exhibit characteristics of a poorly made beer. I'll skip eating the chili though.

10-12-2012 23:32:24 | More by BeerFMAndy
vickersspitfire

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Poured out crystal clear and is accompanied by a plethora of bubbles and carbonation, the head starts off semi thick(roughly half a finger thick) but quickly dissipates into a thin ring of white bubbles around the outer edge of the beer. It smells like your average light beer, think Budlight, but with a slight hint of pepper. It also smells slightly tart. It’s rather dull, you can pick up the tart taste of a ripe pepper, some mild metallic flavors and not much else. This isn’t a bad tasting beer, just an average chili beer and still refreshing none the less.

10-06-2012 19:16:16 | More by vickersspitfire
scaliasux

1.78/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance - Pale to medium yellow. Slightly hazy. Short soapy white head with a very short lifespan.

Smell - Ketchupy pepper?

Taste - Bland pale malt and light jalepeno. The jalepeno doesn't taste quite right. Mild heat. Not good.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Overall - I can enjoy a pepper beer, but I don't enjoy this.

10-01-2012 02:48:23 | More by scaliasux
comfortablynumb1

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%

Reviewed from notes

12oz bottle

Made the unwise decision of eating the pepper at the bottom of the bottle. It was utterly disgusting, but on the bright side, the beer itself was alot better than the stale pepper...

A - Pours a yellow dehydrated piss color with a one finger off white head that dissipates almost immediately...

S - The chili pepper is really up front and drowns out everything else. Might pick up a little corn also, but i'm not sure if that's because I know it's in there. Scent isn't very inviting...

T - Pretty much follows the nose with chili and corn. Chili is definitely prominate throughout. Don't pick up any malt or anything else besides chili...

M - Very thin. Light bodied with lighter amount of carbonation...

O - Actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Most likely wont be buying this one again, but I have had alot worse. Eating the chili was definitely a mistake though...

Cheers...

08-30-2012 09:58:12 | More by comfortablynumb1
Lemke10

1.63/5  rDev -20.5%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of an M&M 6pack from Binny’s in Plainfield, IL in summer 2012.

Pours a clear, light amber color with a slight head that disappears very quickly. Has that smell of cheap Corona with a slight pepper scent. Tasty is rather watery but the chili pepper does come back with a bite. Doesn’t really taste like a beer, it tastes more like water that some threw some Tabasco into. This seems less like a beer and more like something someone would only drink on a dare. Can totally understand the 0 rating.

08-19-2012 05:29:49 | More by Lemke10
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.