Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

Ratings: 408 | Reviews: 199
4.65/5  rDev +124.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The floating chili pepper is pure gimmicky genius and I love the fiery flavor of this. But hey, I also loved almost every pepper and habanero flavored beer I have had to date. If it is well chilled the flavor is killer and in my humble opinion it gets the party rolling with all kinds of potential session drinking.

1.32/5  rDev -36.2%

It burned. I needed another beer to wash this one down.

1.57/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Crap Ola to the highest magnitude.

3.88/5  rDev +87.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's meant to be spicy and it delivered. It's a niche. Particularly good mouth feel and smell for this style

2.78/5  rDev +34.3%

this is the first time ive been forced to review a beer for rating it too high. its not a good beer by any stretch. but the chili pepper does give an ok flavor to an otherwise flavorless beer.

2.22/5  rDev +7.2%

Not much going on here but chili and beer. Separate those two sound awesome! Together so plainly brewed not so much.

3.57/5  rDev +72.5%

Love me some peppers in my beer.

2.73/5  rDev +31.9%

This beer has the taste of a standard Mexican Lager with a really nice spicy chili finish. The spicy chili flavor is what makes this beer taste well. I don't think that it is a great beer, but the spiciness wakes some senses that many others lack.

Undrinkable. 100% capsaicin burn with crappy lager flavor on top.

3.47/5  rDev +67.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Forced to write a review due to my rating being an outlier. Anyway, I fully expected to hate this given it's bad reputation paired with the gimmicky nature of the beer - seriously did they really need to float a chili in the bottle? Turned out I liked this beer as it has a spicy chili flavor I really enjoyed. This is pretty high on the spiciness level by my standards, but not unbearably hot. The base beer is not very interesting or seems to be very well made, but the chili flavor is dominant making it somewhat irreverent. I see the chili beer category as a very "open to interpretation" category and for whatever reason this beer works for me. I would like to also try using it in a michelada. Still, this isn't a beer I would recommend to most people as I can fully understand why others have not liked this beer.

1.91/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a crystal clear deep straw producing only a tiny amount of frothy, white head that leaves no lacing.
Aroma is lager yeast, chili peppers & not much else. Taste like the nose, lager yeast, chili peppers and not much else. Finishes prickly with a prickly pepper aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied due to the chili spice, moderate carbonation bite may be exacerbated by the chili bite & light burn. First third of the bottle is okay at best, middle of the bottle becomes cloying and the final few swallows put you in mind of pepper vinegar seasoning for your winter greens. I'm not a fan.

2.27/5  rDev +9.7%

I've got to give the appearance an extra point cause there's a pepper in the bottle! The nose is all chili pepper, vegetative and spicy.

The flavor is a novelty as there's little actual beer flavor. It's all pepper with a natural vegetable flavor. I get a nice bit of heat, nothing offensive but nothing exceptional. The feel is actually easy to drink with a kick.

This reminds me of Corona with a lime except it's a chili pepper. The flavor is so weak that it fully accepts the additive and it becomes whether you enjoy that additive.

3.61/5  rDev +74.4%

Opened the bottle and starts to erupt. Quickly poured it with no head whatsoever. It's a slightly cloudy orangish gold color. Smells like liquid chile. Not too spicy going down on the first sip and tastes like liquid chile as expected. Overall this isn't a bad chile beer. This is the second time i've had this and it's much better than i remember. This time it was poured in a glass instead of straight from the bottle. Not sure if that made any difference.

2.1/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light notes of medium yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose with some additional hints of grainy malts and corn adjunct sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of grainy malts with some light amounts of corn adjunct sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors of chili pepper with a light to moderate amount of chili pepper spiciness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of chili pepper warming in the finish.

O: Do you get a prize if the pepper comes out of the bottle into your glass? Do you have to eat it? Overall, this beer is not as spicy as some of the others in the style and is fairly easy to drink though I don't think I will be running out to get another.

2.78/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not enough heat or flavor. Tecate with a pepper.

3.75/5  rDev +81.2%

I'm in love with this beer right now and had saw all the poor reviews. I had to stand up for it. I'm a fan of most kinds of beer, used to be obsessed with hops and now think I am burned out on that so I'm taking a bit of a break. My new thing is pepper beers. I tried a jalapeno ale from a local brewery a while back and have been hooked since. They also had a 11.2% habanero porter that was AMAZING. Sadly they don't make either anymore. They have moved on to other varieties.

I agree with much of what has been said about Cave Creek beer. "It's just a boring lager with spicy pepper oil added." "It has no head/carbonation." Why I love this beer: It satisfies my pepper beer craving, it's relatively inexpensive and it's not hard to find. I have tried several other pepper beers, all of which I believe taste better, but none of them are as easy to get a hold of, inexpensive or deliver the spicy kick that this one does.

2.04/5  rDev -1.4%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and poured with no head whatsoever and a very slight amount of visible carbonation.
S: Moderately strong aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is all about spicy flavors of chili peppers and not much else.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some burning sensations left in your mouth from the chili peppers.
O: This beer is pretty spicy, but isn't as undrinkable compared to some of the other beers that I've had in the style.

3.4/5  rDev +64.3%

Granted this is not the best beer in the world, but it is AMAZING when combined with any good lunch or dinner (enchiladas, burgers, etc.). Unfortunately, on it's own it is not too great.

3.25/5  rDev +57%

Chili beers are a unique style, and Cave Creek has an excellent recipe on this one. Id like to know if the heat comes from the Serrano pepper that sits in the bottle or if there is some chili in the mash? Great beer for a Fall day.

3.33/5  rDev +60.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day

2.49/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at brass rail in the cooler, poured chilled into a mug.

The color is dull golden with fast moving bubbles that are very small with no head at all -it doesn't even revive when swirled and the green chile is kind of drab like a canned green olive. The smell is very peppery but not exactly like fresh cut pepper, more like a gas station nacho or tostito queso pepper smell -pretty lifeless with a odd beer scent in the background. The feel is okay, not great, definitely spicy but not over the top with mild carbonation and light sweetness with a lingering heat in the finish.

The flavor is basically your average light lager or adjunct lager at first followed by a vegetal taste then heat, not that offensive, yet not a lot of actual malt or yeast in the taste either. The taste is pretty dominated by the heat of the jalapeno(?) after the first tow sips which again tastes like the smell -kind of peppery but I had to take a bite to be sure...it pretty much extracted all the heat and flavor out of the pepper into the beer. The pepper inside is just for show obviously but it has a flavorless fiber only aspect which explains the level of heat in the beer. Overall I guess I am more tolerant than others but the base beer is not awful or seriously flawed enough to give it a bad score -mediocre I suppose but I don't hate this just because it is a pale lager. I will say that I think it is less than average drinkbility in general since the heat is all you really get which is not that refreshing-could be good with something hearty, but I would probably avoid this and don't recommend it -basically a novelty with the pepper in the bottle.

2.99/5  rDev +44.4%

Sampling right now on 4/5/14. Had this before about 2 years ago. Wasn't there a 'Dave's Chili Beer' back in the 1990's? Anyway, not made in the USA but Mexico. 330ml (11.2oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a medium yellow in color with a small head that settles down to nothing to speak of as well as not much lacing to mention. The aroma is of pepper juice with some grains, like a Corona. The taste is a bit of heat from the pepper and actually like a spicy Corona. Lower carbonation and a bit on the light side. Ate the pepper at the end with a cracker. Overall, it is different and it was OK.

1.03/5  rDev -50.2%

Had this badboy while jamming my fingers into a pencil sharpener. After drinking most of it I used it to cauterize my sutures.

A-Looks like your standard swill beer, a light yellow bubbly pour, looked like it was trying desperately to make some kind of head, but nothing more than a thin layer of foam.

S-Like the bowels of a muskrat. If said muskrat was dead.

T- Hits you with a chili-swill beer taste that can only be described as hellish.

M-I drank it about an hour ago and I still have the hiccups, my mouth still burns. I fear that I've scarred my mouth for life.

O-Straight from the 7th plain of hell. Satan would be proud. Absolutely disgusting. Please don't drink this yourself.

2.31/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat.

2.12/5  rDev +2.4%

Take a beer. Any beer. Put some chiles in it and voila you can have your own custom chili beer. I like the heat and the taste was not too bad. However there is no body whatsoever and the beer itself is thin and watery. The only reason I even like this beer at all is because of the heat. But like I said just take your favorite beer and pop in some peppers and you will have your own custom great tasting chili beer. As far as the marketing it looks to me like an American guy decides to brew this beer in Mexico to give the appearance that this is a true chili beer. It's basically some guy brewing cheap crap in his garage. Won't be buying this one again.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.