Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

2.3/5  rDev +8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

11.2 oz bottle into a teku. CLASSY.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Retention sucks big floppy donkey dick. So does lacing. By the way, I didn't pour the chili pepper in. (2)

Smell: Well, that little pepper deserves some credit - it's smothered the aroma of cheap, shitty Mexican lager really well. There's no overt corn, All I seem to get is chili pepper. Not complex at all, no, but I'll take that over the smell of cheap, shitty Mexican lager any damn day of the week. Okay, I do pick up a bit of corn chips after a while. For a joke beer, though, this doesn't smell half-horrible. It really doesn't. (2.5)

Taste: This tastes JUST like corn chips and salsa - salsa with too much Tapatio in it, to be fair, but salsa and corn chips nonetheless. A corny beginning begets a spicy finish. Spicy is no joke, either: this is up there with Ghost Face Killah in terms of heat, nearly. While it's ridiculously hot, it also masks the taste of the El Cheapo lager hiding underneath it beautifully. This would make a great chili adjunct (if nothing else). (2.25)

Mouthfeel: The heat burns the palate nicely, while accumulating all at the same time. HEARTBURN CITY, POPULATION: ME. Oh wait...this is a beer. It features the typical corny sweetness and high carbonation of a cheap Mexican lager, so I guess that's a plus. (2.25)

Overall: I know what I hate...and I don't hate this. Granted, I've been guilty of adding way too much Tapatio to my salsa and not giving two damns, but this really isn't awful either way. It's far too single tracked for me to give this a good score, of course, and it's still just a total gimmick that's only useful for cooking chili. Still far better than Bud Light Chelada, though! (2.25)

2.3/5: Some 'abomination' this turned out to be...I might even buy it again for my chili! (1,858 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle (best by date 21Sep15) into a pint glass.
LOOK: Pours with a... Chili pepper?! Yeah! This beer has an actual green chili pepper in it. Wow. Anyways... Pours with a line of white foam that dies into nothingness in the lengthy amount of 3 whole seconds. Pale straw yellow in color with a minimal amount of bubbles and absolutely no lacing (I know I keep saying this, and last time it was about Dogfish Head's sahti beer, but THIS beer is the most physically unnatractive beer I have ever seen).
SMELL: Has very strong aromas of chili peppers (almost burns the nose, but I kinda like it) that mix with mild buttered-bread malt and sugar aromas (not too bad of an aroma).
TASTE: Initial taste is of mild buttered-bread malt flavors. A split second passes as intense (but not unbearable) chili flavors hit the palate. A hint of sugar enters last as malt and chili flavors both increase in strength.
FEEL: It goes down pretty smooth and has virtually no carbonation. Honestly, this is not even horribly spicy like others made it seem. It's spicier than the Taco Bell fire sauce, but that's not saying much. Maybe it's because I'm Mexican and am accustomed to eating spicy foods. However, my stomach is on fire, as I am not accustomed to drinking spicy beverages.
NOTE: This would be a perfect beer to pair with a burger, enchiladas, hot dogs, or just about any meal other than breakfast. Just please DONT DO WHAT I DID and drink this on an empty stomach. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go drink some Peptol. And yes, I ate the pepper. It was very rubbery. (1,582 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +55.9%

11.2 fl oz bottle, best by date 05/30/2015. At long last I've acquired a single bottle of this stuff as part of a mixed six pack from the local Binny's. "Cerveza con chili" " Premium lager beer with a chili pepper added". No abv listed on the bottle.

Poured into a Big Eddy snifter.

A - Pours how it appears in the clear glass bottle: a pale pissy lager gold. A flat appearance. Some bubbles, but no real head or any lacing. The chili pepper does look nice in the glass.

S - The aroma isn't 'hot' or spicy, but a very authentic vegetal pepper smell is more than apparent. Smells fresh, if I had to guess. Reminds me in a way of how Stone Crime smelled.

T - The initial taste is of quick refreshing grainy lager beer, but the heat from the chili pepper takes over and it builds and builds as you sip. Very vegetal tasting.

M - The feel is quick, crisp, & clean in the lager sense, but the building pepper heat makes the beer unrefreshing.

Overall, not bad for a novelty beer drinking experience, but it's not something I'd opt for again, and drinking this one small bottle will be a struggle, even after it was split between three people. Definitely reminded me of Stone Crime and Stone Punishment at times, though.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer -----3/5. (1,264 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +118.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The floating chili pepper is pure gimmicky genius and I love the fiery flavor of this. But hey, I also loved almost every pepper and habanero flavored beer I have had to date. If it is well chilled the flavor is killer and in my humble opinion it gets the party rolling with all kinds of potential session drinking. (399 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +30.5%

this is the first time ive been forced to review a beer for rating it too high. its not a good beer by any stretch. but the chili pepper does give an ok flavor to an otherwise flavorless beer. (194 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +28.2%

This beer has the taste of a standard Mexican Lager with a really nice spicy chili finish. The spicy chili flavor is what makes this beer taste well. I don't think that it is a great beer, but the spiciness wakes some senses that many others lack. (247 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Forced to write a review due to my rating being an outlier. Anyway, I fully expected to hate this given it's bad reputation paired with the gimmicky nature of the beer - seriously did they really need to float a chili in the bottle? Turned out I liked this beer as it has a spicy chili flavor I really enjoyed. This is pretty high on the spiciness level by my standards, but not unbearably hot. The base beer is not very interesting or seems to be very well made, but the chili flavor is dominant making it somewhat irreverent. I see the chili beer category as a very "open to interpretation" category and for whatever reason this beer works for me. I would like to also try using it in a michelada. Still, this isn't a beer I would recommend to most people as I can fully understand why others have not liked this beer. (827 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a crystal clear deep straw producing only a tiny amount of frothy, white head that leaves no lacing.
Aroma is lager yeast, chili peppers & not much else. Taste like the nose, lager yeast, chili peppers and not much else. Finishes prickly with a prickly pepper aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied due to the chili spice, moderate carbonation bite may be exacerbated by the chili bite & light burn. First third of the bottle is okay at best, middle of the bottle becomes cloying and the final few swallows put you in mind of pepper vinegar seasoning for your winter greens. I'm not a fan. (604 characters)

2.27/5  rDev +6.6%

I've got to give the appearance an extra point cause there's a pepper in the bottle! The nose is all chili pepper, vegetative and spicy.

The flavor is a novelty as there's little actual beer flavor. It's all pepper with a natural vegetable flavor. I get a nice bit of heat, nothing offensive but nothing exceptional. The feel is actually easy to drink with a kick.

This reminds me of Corona with a lime except it's a chili pepper. The flavor is so weak that it fully accepts the additive and it becomes whether you enjoy that additive. (537 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +69.5%

Opened the bottle and starts to erupt. Quickly poured it with no head whatsoever. It's a slightly cloudy orangish gold color. Smells like liquid chile. Not too spicy going down on the first sip and tastes like liquid chile as expected. Overall this isn't a bad chile beer. This is the second time i've had this and it's much better than i remember. This time it was poured in a glass instead of straight from the bottle. Not sure if that made any difference. (458 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light notes of medium yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose with some additional hints of grainy malts and corn adjunct sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of grainy malts with some light amounts of corn adjunct sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors of chili pepper with a light to moderate amount of chili pepper spiciness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of chili pepper warming in the finish.

O: Do you get a prize if the pepper comes out of the bottle into your glass? Do you have to eat it? Overall, this beer is not as spicy as some of the others in the style and is fairly easy to drink though I don't think I will be running out to get another. (1,186 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +76.1%

I'm in love with this beer right now and had saw all the poor reviews. I had to stand up for it. I'm a fan of most kinds of beer, used to be obsessed with hops and now think I am burned out on that so I'm taking a bit of a break. My new thing is pepper beers. I tried a jalapeno ale from a local brewery a while back and have been hooked since. They also had a 11.2% habanero porter that was AMAZING. Sadly they don't make either anymore. They have moved on to other varieties.

I agree with much of what has been said about Cave Creek beer. "It's just a boring lager with spicy pepper oil added." "It has no head/carbonation." Why I love this beer: It satisfies my pepper beer craving, it's relatively inexpensive and it's not hard to find. I have tried several other pepper beers, all of which I believe taste better, but none of them are as easy to get a hold of, inexpensive or deliver the spicy kick that this one does. (936 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and poured with no head whatsoever and a very slight amount of visible carbonation.
S: Moderately strong aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is all about spicy flavors of chili peppers and not much else.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some burning sensations left in your mouth from the chili peppers.
O: This beer is pretty spicy, but isn't as undrinkable compared to some of the other beers that I've had in the style.

Serving type: bottle (609 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +52.6%

Chili beers are a unique style, and Cave Creek has an excellent recipe on this one. Id like to know if the heat comes from the Serrano pepper that sits in the bottle or if there is some chili in the mash? Great beer for a Fall day. (231 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day (517 characters)

2.49/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at brass rail in the cooler, poured chilled into a mug.

The color is dull golden with fast moving bubbles that are very small with no head at all -it doesn't even revive when swirled and the green chile is kind of drab like a canned green olive. The smell is very peppery but not exactly like fresh cut pepper, more like a gas station nacho or tostito queso pepper smell -pretty lifeless with a odd beer scent in the background. The feel is okay, not great, definitely spicy but not over the top with mild carbonation and light sweetness with a lingering heat in the finish.

The flavor is basically your average light lager or adjunct lager at first followed by a vegetal taste then heat, not that offensive, yet not a lot of actual malt or yeast in the taste either. The taste is pretty dominated by the heat of the jalapeno(?) after the first tow sips which again tastes like the smell -kind of peppery but I had to take a bite to be sure...it pretty much extracted all the heat and flavor out of the pepper into the beer. The pepper inside is just for show obviously but it has a flavorless fiber only aspect which explains the level of heat in the beer. Overall I guess I am more tolerant than others but the base beer is not awful or seriously flawed enough to give it a bad score -mediocre I suppose but I don't hate this just because it is a pale lager. I will say that I think it is less than average drinkbility in general since the heat is all you really get which is not that refreshing-could be good with something hearty, but I would probably avoid this and don't recommend it -basically a novelty with the pepper in the bottle. (1,662 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +40.4%

Sampling right now on 4/5/14. Had this before about 2 years ago. Wasn't there a 'Dave's Chili Beer' back in the 1990's? Anyway, not made in the USA but Mexico. 330ml (11.2oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a medium yellow in color with a small head that settles down to nothing to speak of as well as not much lacing to mention. The aroma is of pepper juice with some grains, like a Corona. The taste is a bit of heat from the pepper and actually like a spicy Corona. Lower carbonation and a bit on the light side. Ate the pepper at the end with a cracker. Overall, it is different and it was OK. (665 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -51.6%

Had this badboy while jamming my fingers into a pencil sharpener. After drinking most of it I used it to cauterize my sutures.

A-Looks like your standard swill beer, a light yellow bubbly pour, looked like it was trying desperately to make some kind of head, but nothing more than a thin layer of foam.

S-Like the bowels of a muskrat. If said muskrat was dead.

T- Hits you with a chili-swill beer taste that can only be described as hellish.

M-I drank it about an hour ago and I still have the hiccups, my mouth still burns. I fear that I've scarred my mouth for life.

O-Straight from the 7th plain of hell. Satan would be proud. Absolutely disgusting. Please don't drink this yourself. (691 characters)

2.31/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat. (386 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Take a beer. Any beer. Put some chiles in it and voila you can have your own custom chili beer. I like the heat and the taste was not too bad. However there is no body whatsoever and the beer itself is thin and watery. The only reason I even like this beer at all is because of the heat. But like I said just take your favorite beer and pop in some peppers and you will have your own custom great tasting chili beer. As far as the marketing it looks to me like an American guy decides to brew this beer in Mexico to give the appearance that this is a true chili beer. It's basically some guy brewing cheap crap in his garage. Won't be buying this one again. (657 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -4.2%

33 cl. bottle sampled.

Ah, the infamous, Cave Creek Chili Beer, clear bottle & an old shrunken chilli and everything. Got some in a plastic cup, this looks exactly like a small urine sample in a plastic cup, if there ever a beer which deserved to get 0/5 on appearance, this is the one. Nose carries some vegetables, too bad, bit of a white sugar & low quality old oily chilli. Taste is too much vegetable juice upfront, herbs, corn, these are the flavours which make this brew not particularly pleasant, it is not that bad actually. Finish carries the burn, nice burn, not that brutal, heat level like this in a pale lager is not too bad, neat. The chilli is low quality & oily, too bad. Flat, too much vegetable notes & other things mentioned. Still as far as pale lagers go this one is not that bad. (804 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was no real head to speak of. A trace of lacing, but nothing substantial.

S: Not surprisingly, lots of chili, but little else. Very one dimensional.

T: Tasted of chili, chili, and more chili. There's a little bit of corn and malt, but these ingredients do not stand up to the chili onslaught. Like the aroma, the flavor is too one dimensional and grating.

M: A below average amount of carbonation and an abrasive finish. Light-bodied. Guaranteed to give you heartburn.

O: This style of beer is hard to get right. It can be easy to go overboard with the chilis. This is what happened with this one. Not recommended. (716 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market. (829 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Okay, I have had a chili beer before. It must have been about 20 years ago, and I remember it being absolutely in undrinkable. No taste, just unbearable heat. So, that was the benchmark that I had in mind when I opened this bottle, a brew that my wife bought for me as a little surprise. First of alls, although it isn't good, it also isn't undrinkable. The smell is of green chilies. Maybe a little spicey pepper, and some adjunct macro lager veggie brew scents. The taste has heat, and it definitely distracts from the taste of the beer. But, it is not too much that the beer isn't drinkable. It is a nice, slow burning heat. Some mild sweetness in the beer. The heat prevents me from giving a really accurate description of the beer characteristics in themselves. Light body. I won't have another one (well, maybe in another 20 years), but it was interesting enough that, although I didn't like it, I don't regret trying. (924 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +77.9%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle. (2,538 characters)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.