Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

Ratings: 408 | Reviews: 199
Reviews by MisterClean:
2.49/5  rDev +20.3%

April fools joke, thanks loki.

A - Pours golden with 1 finger of white head. Dissipates moderately and leaves nice lacing. Serrano chile is in the bottom of the glass.

S/T - Serrano chiles, adjunct - possibly corn, and high amounts of acidity, which may be vinegar.

M - Light bodied, chile, er I mean malt dominated.

D - After 3 sips, the novelty wore off. Chile is just over-powering.

by far the worst beer I have ever had.

A: piss yellow with a foamy head that doesn't stick around.

S: smells horrible. like tabasco sauce and vinegar and skunk.

T: horrible. starts fairly sweet, finishes a bit spicy. reminds me of frosted flakes, in goat piss, with tabasco sauce on them.

M: bubbly and light. leaves a pepper burn in the back of your throat.

D: the smell makes me think I'll throw up. The tastes confirms that thought. I always finish my beer because there are sober kids in India, that is until this one. on the bright side it might work as well as draino.

2.03/5  rDev -1.9%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is jalapeno juice with some corn adjuncts. The flavor is sweet corn with a jalapeno burn in the aftertaste. Strong heat in the back of the throat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Opened 12 Oz Bottle, poured into Weissen glass.
Bottle labeled "Black Mountain Brewing Company - Tecate, Baja California, MX"

No head developed at all. Bubbles rise, but no foam or lacing on glass. Chili that was at bottom of the glass now floats atop the brew.

Smell is of pickled peppers, you know, the kind you get in the jar. Taste is much worse. Imagine taking that vinegar and drinking it... That is the taste you get here. The beer is labeled "Best Before 101608"

I had this beer two years ago when it was still made in Cave Creek, AZ, and I actually think it got worse, which I thought was impossible. I actually swallowed it this time, and I will say that the spicy finish is somewhat pleasant, maybe because the pepper laced brew has moved away from the taste buds. There is quite a bit of a copper twinge on the finish. I suggest trying this beer for novelty, if anything, but don't buy cases of it because you're looking for a new session beer.

Many might say I don't like it because I don't like spicy food, but I've actually sprayed myself with OC spray before and once took a the challenge of an entire spoonful of Dave's Insanity Sauce; When others are trying to get rid of the burn, I'm dousing it with Tabasco

It is sort of sad that Crazy Ed probably won't ever brew this one himself again, but such is the plight of small business.

1.15/5  rDev -44.4%

Given to me by my local beer store owner. what a mess this is, No idea why you would drink except for novelty. . 12 ounce bottle Pours a pale yellow color with no head. Aroma is straight peppers. Nothing else. Taste is really hot. I guess that's what they're going for, but it's ridiculous and I couldn't take it seriously. Good Gag Gift thats about it.

2.53/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Obviously this beer hasn't made a good impression among higher end beer aficionados, and I can understand why. However, I must preface my review with this simple reminder: it's a novelty item. What should we really expect?

This beer cannot be compared to any serious beers. It won't compete with APAs or IPAs, porters, Pilsners, or upper grade pale lagers. It's a gimmick! But it's a fun one, and I actually didn't think it was too bad, for what it is.

Many years ago a friend told me about chili beer, but I had never encountered one. Or at least, never had the desire to try it out. First, it looks fun enough. There's a chili pepper in the bottle after all. That was the first indication that I can't take this beer too seriously.

Upon pouring this beer, I became curious, but wasn't immediately put off. It poured very effervescent, and the fizzy froth quickly dissipated as it does with a soda like ginger ale. No head.

The lack of head did not set off any alarms. It seems that the oils, or some component from the chili pepper, interfered with the (certainly already minimal) residual starches in the beer, and prevented any sort of head retention. Maybe the lack of head was intentional. Face it, that pepper has been sitting in there, and would have contributed to a super spicy nose. It was essentially dry-hopped, ...er dry-peppered.

Moving on... The first sip imparted a subtle Corona-ish, or maybe more of a Land Shark Lager-ish, flavor, which was quickly replaced by a steady heat that swelled quick and seemed to build moderately until fading away. No striking aftertaste, and no sort of hops characteristics at all. Not bitter, just a light lager with a burn.

The pepper heat seemed to smooth out a bit as the beer rested in the glass, but maybe that was because my tongue was already conditioned to the onslaught. Being that it is a pale lager reminiscent of those I mentioned earlier, I wonder if it would taste any better with a lime slice in it?

As a novelty beer it was interesting, fun, and not so bad that I'd condemn it. I definitely would not lump it in with more serious beer offerings. It is what it is. Would I buy another? ... maybe.

1.64/5  rDev -20.8%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos.

1.54/5  rDev -25.6%

(Served in an American Pint Glass)
best before 011211
  A-  This beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white bubbly head that is gone before I can set the bottle down.  The chili stays in the bottle.  There is a big carbonation of large bubbles that race to the surface.
  S-  The big green herbal chili aroma has a slight earthy pablano quality but I don't detect any other aromas.
  T-  Wow.  The first sip is pure burn from the tongue to the throat and back up the nostrils.  The burn lingers in the throat for the full glass.  There is a faint green chili taste that fights its way through the head about 1/2 way through the beer.
  M-  This beer has a light watery mouthfeel with a big fizz that enhances the burn.
  D-  All Burn, all the time.  There are really no other flavors except for a slight green chili note.  This is liquid carbonated fire.  I like spice and heat but not when it is the only thing you taste.   I didn't even get any corn or grain or malt notes.

2.16/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

1.3/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it.

2.75/5  rDev +32.9%

Single 330ml bottle, BB June 2012 (with a bloated Serrano pepper lounging about the bottom), recently made available north of the 49th (yay, us!). From Tecate, Mexico - what, Arizona getting too expensive?

This beer pours (the star floaty included) a clear, pale apple juice yellow colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which is dispelled in barely a moment, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of zingy vegetal pepper heat, over a thin pale graininess. The taste is very spicy Serrano pepper, the oiliness and vegetal character both well represented as well. There is a mild underlying malt component, but it is quite obfuscated by the burn. Any of the purported 'hops' from the label are equally nondescript. The carbonation is fairly restrained, the body light, but not thin, and as smooth as a burning mouth in the absence of dairy products can be. It finishes spicy, the innocuous grain trying in vain (maybe) to hold up an overwhelmed sweet counterpoint to this oral assault.

Wow. Just wow. If I typed like I would talk right now, it would be indecipherable. I can't complain about truth in advertising in this case - this is one tangy beer. The resident pepper gave its all, it would seem. So, the problem becomes, as in a number of fruit beer experiences - when does the guest ingredient overpower the essential beerness of a beer? Well, ladies and germs, feast your watering eyes on Exhibit A. So spicy, that the rest of the beer, as good or bad as it might be, can't fuck it up. I am biased, in that I use Serrano peppers a lot in cooking - in fact, I'm making Kung Pao tonight, and may just add this little remnant in my glass to the dish, why the hell not...

3.95/5  rDev +90.8%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

2.32/5  rDev +12.1%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more.

1.58/5  rDev -23.7%

A- Looks like piss with no head. Cool bottle.

S- Smells like a jar of hot peppers.

T- Taste like corona mixed with the juice out of a jar of chili peppers.

M- Average to low carb. No real mouthfeel.

D- I poured most of it. To be fair, I could not detect alcohol.

Paired with Pepperoni pizza. Maybe I should have tried a taco...

1.57/5  rDev -24.2%

This creative beer (there is an actual whole green chili pepper inside every bottle) opens with a sickly pallid complexion and a nonexistent head. The only scent I get is, not surprisingly, jalapeno. The taste is, well, like hot sauce. The pepper far overpowers the ultra-light lager beer it's suspended in. I have to admit, it's a nice novelty for the beer fan who THINKS he/she's had it all, but this one is just not appetizing at all. I'm not one to ever waste a beer, but this one's a pourer.

2.94/5  rDev +42%

Pours light golden with a head that disappeared faster then I could pour the beer. This smells mostly like chili and I couldn't get many more smells out of it. The chili really comes through in the flavor as well and gives this beer a very spicy and unique flavor. I feel that the chili flavor does detract from the other flavors that could be in the beer and just makes this kind of a gimmick. I know that alot of people have bad things to day about this beer, but I think it is kind of a cool idea. The chili is a bit overpowering and that is really my only complaint. I would like to see this done where the chili just enhances the flavors in the beer, and I think that would make for a cool brew.

3.22/5  rDev +55.6%

This is exactly what you would expect when you see a chili pepper floating in a beer bottle! This is you typical lager kicked up with the addition of chili. Its a little like getting a beer and a salad all in one shot, thats if you can get the chili out of the bottle! Overall I would pick this up again if the mood hit me, but be ready for the hottness!

1.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Clear bottle with a straw yellow brew - and, what's that? Yes, there's a damn chili in there.

Pours a straw yellow with almost no head - what little head there is fades pretty much immediately. Body is completely clear. No lacing.

Now here comes the tough part. How do I rate this thing? Is the goal to be loaded with notes of chili? If so, then perfect 5's on both taste and aroma. If the goal is to apetising...then we're looking at 1's. I'll just go with my gut reactions.

The aroma is an absolute kick to the nostrils - I think I could do a rail of chili powder and the effect would be similar. Forget smelling salts - just pour a little dab of this.

The taste is pretty similar, but, if it's possible, an even more brutal kick. Brutal...that's a good word. This whole damn thing is brutal. I couldn't even swallow (something my wife and I now have in common). I tried my best to give this thing a fair shot, but good god it's brutal. If anyone manages to drink a whole bottle of this, I tip my hat to you sir.

This thing is quite the experience.

4.65/5  rDev +124.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The floating chili pepper is pure gimmicky genius and I love the fiery flavor of this. But hey, I also loved almost every pepper and habanero flavored beer I have had to date. If it is well chilled the flavor is killer and in my humble opinion it gets the party rolling with all kinds of potential session drinking.

3.47/5  rDev +67.6%

My review:

Tastes like you are drinking a jalapeño.

My suggestion:

Only drink this beer if you like jalapeños.

This beer seems to be getting alot of bad reviews. Personally, I like spicy foods, and I enjoy this beer. If you do not like spicy food, I would not recommend drinking this beer. If you do not like jalapeños, I also would not recommend this beer. Everyone has a different taste, but for me this isn't a bad beer.

1.16/5  rDev -44%

Has to be the worst beer I've ever had. Probably gunna drain pour the rest. Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a golden clear. No head. No lacing.

Aroma smells like a chili relliano. Like nacho cheese a bit. So much jalapeño aroma it's crazy. Can't smell anything else.

Tasteyou can't taste anything else except the burn in the back of your throat. Maybe a bit of malt and jalapeño. Terrible.

Mouthfeel is dry and supreme high carb.

Overall a terrible beer. All it does is burn your throat. Only bought it because I wanted to try the worst beer on BA. It lived up to it's expectations.

1.33/5  rDev -35.7%

Got to taste this while buying a few singles tonight. Woof.

Pours a pale yellow. The guy pouring it didn't put a head on it. Just looks like your usual macro lager.

It smells like a can of green chiles. This is not a pleasant aroma when it comes to beer.

The flavor is fucking godawful. It tastes like a jalapeno breadstick. If I had an actual jalapeno-spiked breadstick to eat, I would be happy. But when I'm drinking said breadstick, you can just get right the hell out of here, pal.

Mouthfeel is typical adjunct lager, but with plenty of burn. I was surprised at how spicy it turned out to be. I wasn't begging for mercy or anything, but it was definitely hotter than expected.

Drinkability is null. This shit is heartburn city. I'll never drink it again.

2.29/5  rDev +10.6%

A - a dull, pretty dead pale and clear yellow with no head to speak of whatsoever.

S - You can definitely smell the chili; reeks pretty strongly of jalapeno and nothing else.

T - Follows the nose. Surprisingly spicy hot with jalapeno. Has a nasty, cheap aftertaste that I can't quite put my finger on...like a cheap spiced rum. Definitely leaves a spicy hot aftertaste on the tongue, throat, and lips, which I personally enjoy. It might taste decent ice cold like most Mexican beers, but I give it a generous 2.5.

M - Pretty dead. Not carbonated or lively at all. The chili kicks in an almost physical way on the swallow, though, and I kind of like it.

D - Not very drinkable since it's pretty gross and the spicyness is bound to upset the stomach after 2 at the most I'd say. Wouldn't buy this again, but I'm glad I tried it - if only so I will never be curious about it or buy it again. Though I may like to try Dogfish Head's Theobroma, which has received decent reviews on here. Nevertheless, this chile beer makes me crave a thick chocolate stout.

3.33/5  rDev +60.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day

1.94/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 330 mL. capped, bottle (Best Before 04/29/12) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off white, super fizzy head that quickly fades to literally nothing in seconds. The body is a pale golden straw with traces of urine yellow and a strong amount of energetic carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Cheap, grainy malts and Mexican cuisine fill the air as the beer is poured. Notes of enchiladas, soft tacos, sombreros, pinatas, and unsafe plastic surgery are all detectable in the nose. All joking aside, this beer really does smell like an enchilada. Getting too close to this beer for a whiff can actually lead to a slight irritation of the eyes.

Sweet, grainy malts start each sip with notes of wet hay, toffee, and light caramel. As the beer is held in the mouth a little burning occurs under the tongue. As the beer is swallowed the grainy malt flavors (corn perhaps) come out a bit more and are soon met by the flavor of the chili pepper. This is all quickly washed away, however, by a strong pepper spiciness that covers the entire tongue. This burning lasts, and strengthens, until the next sip.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer's drinkability is hindered only by its spiciness. The body is easy-drinking enough and is reminiscent of a Mexican Lager (Corona, Dos Equis, etc.) The carbonation is only slightly fizzy and does very little to help this beer while held in the mouth. Oddly enough, it does get rather fizzy during the swallow.

If you love spicy and don't care about a beer's flavor, this may just be the perfect beer for you. If you hate spicy, leave this beer alone. If you like beer with decent flavor, leave this beer alone.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.