Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
Reviews by bsm80x:
2.5/5  rDev +22.5%

bsm80x, Dec 31, 2013
2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

tbryan5, Jan 12, 2013

GeoBear, Oct 23, 2013

FadetoBock, Jun 28, 2014

by far the worst beer I have ever had.

A: piss yellow with a foamy head that doesn't stick around.

S: smells horrible. like tabasco sauce and vinegar and skunk.

T: horrible. starts fairly sweet, finishes a bit spicy. reminds me of frosted flakes, in goat piss, with tabasco sauce on them.

M: bubbly and light. leaves a pepper burn in the back of your throat.

D: the smell makes me think I'll throw up. The tastes confirms that thought. I always finish my beer because there are sober kids in India, that is until this one. on the bright side it might work as well as draino.

SAxDRC5, Jan 06, 2011

aquazr1, Oct 25, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is jalapeno juice with some corn adjuncts. The flavor is sweet corn with a jalapeno burn in the aftertaste. Strong heat in the back of the throat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 10, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -27.5%

Opened 12 Oz Bottle, poured into Weissen glass.
Bottle labeled "Black Mountain Brewing Company - Tecate, Baja California, MX"

No head developed at all. Bubbles rise, but no foam or lacing on glass. Chili that was at bottom of the glass now floats atop the brew.

Smell is of pickled peppers, you know, the kind you get in the jar. Taste is much worse. Imagine taking that vinegar and drinking it... That is the taste you get here. The beer is labeled "Best Before 101608"

I had this beer two years ago when it was still made in Cave Creek, AZ, and I actually think it got worse, which I thought was impossible. I actually swallowed it this time, and I will say that the spicy finish is somewhat pleasant, maybe because the pepper laced brew has moved away from the taste buds. There is quite a bit of a copper twinge on the finish. I suggest trying this beer for novelty, if anything, but don't buy cases of it because you're looking for a new session beer.

Many might say I don't like it because I don't like spicy food, but I've actually sprayed myself with OC spray before and once took a the challenge of an entire spoonful of Dave's Insanity Sauce; When others are trying to get rid of the burn, I'm dousing it with Tabasco

It is sort of sad that Crazy Ed probably won't ever brew this one himself again, but such is the plight of small business.

mattster, Mar 07, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -44.6%

Given to me by my local beer store owner. what a mess this is, No idea why you would drink except for novelty. . 12 ounce bottle Pours a pale yellow color with no head. Aroma is straight peppers. Nothing else. Taste is really hot. I guess that's what they're going for, but it's ridiculous and I couldn't take it seriously. Good Gag Gift thats about it.

grogshopMike, Feb 16, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Obviously this beer hasn't made a good impression among higher end beer aficionados, and I can understand why. However, I must preface my review with this simple reminder: it's a novelty item. What should we really expect?

This beer cannot be compared to any serious beers. It won't compete with APAs or IPAs, porters, Pilsners, or upper grade pale lagers. It's a gimmick! But it's a fun one, and I actually didn't think it was too bad, for what it is.

Many years ago a friend told me about chili beer, but I had never encountered one. Or at least, never had the desire to try it out. First, it looks fun enough. There's a chili pepper in the bottle after all. That was the first indication that I can't take this beer too seriously.

Upon pouring this beer, I became curious, but wasn't immediately put off. It poured very effervescent, and the fizzy froth quickly dissipated as it does with a soda like ginger ale. No head.

The lack of head did not set off any alarms. It seems that the oils, or some component from the chili pepper, interfered with the (certainly already minimal) residual starches in the beer, and prevented any sort of head retention. Maybe the lack of head was intentional. Face it, that pepper has been sitting in there, and would have contributed to a super spicy nose. It was essentially dry-hopped, ...er dry-peppered.

Moving on... The first sip imparted a subtle Corona-ish, or maybe more of a Land Shark Lager-ish, flavor, which was quickly replaced by a steady heat that swelled quick and seemed to build moderately until fading away. No striking aftertaste, and no sort of hops characteristics at all. Not bitter, just a light lager with a burn.

The pepper heat seemed to smooth out a bit as the beer rested in the glass, but maybe that was because my tongue was already conditioned to the onslaught. Being that it is a pale lager reminiscent of those I mentioned earlier, I wonder if it would taste any better with a lime slice in it?

As a novelty beer it was interesting, fun, and not so bad that I'd condemn it. I definitely would not lump it in with more serious beer offerings. It is what it is. Would I buy another? ... maybe.

TheBrewologist, May 09, 2011

juicebox, Jul 17, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos.

madeofsteel, Jan 24, 2012

williamjbauer, May 30, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -28.9%

(Served in an American Pint Glass)
best before 011211
  A-  This beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white bubbly head that is gone before I can set the bottle down.  The chili stays in the bottle.  There is a big carbonation of large bubbles that race to the surface.
  S-  The big green herbal chili aroma has a slight earthy pablano quality but I don't detect any other aromas.
  T-  Wow.  The first sip is pure burn from the tongue to the throat and back up the nostrils.  The burn lingers in the throat for the full glass.  There is a faint green chili taste that fights its way through the head about 1/2 way through the beer.
  M-  This beer has a light watery mouthfeel with a big fizz that enhances the burn.
  D-  All Burn, all the time.  There are really no other flavors except for a slight green chili note.  This is liquid carbonated fire.  I like spice and heat but not when it is the only thing you taste.   I didn't even get any corn or grain or malt notes.

rhoadsrage, Sep 01, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +2%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

LXIXME, Dec 11, 2011
1.29/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it.

Brenden, Jun 02, 2013

InfernoBoss, May 22, 2013
2.73/5  rDev +33.8%

Single 330ml bottle, BB June 2012 (with a bloated Serrano pepper lounging about the bottom), recently made available north of the 49th (yay, us!). From Tecate, Mexico - what, Arizona getting too expensive?

This beer pours (the star floaty included) a clear, pale apple juice yellow colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which is dispelled in barely a moment, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of zingy vegetal pepper heat, over a thin pale graininess. The taste is very spicy Serrano pepper, the oiliness and vegetal character both well represented as well. There is a mild underlying malt component, but it is quite obfuscated by the burn. Any of the purported 'hops' from the label are equally nondescript. The carbonation is fairly restrained, the body light, but not thin, and as smooth as a burning mouth in the absence of dairy products can be. It finishes spicy, the innocuous grain trying in vain (maybe) to hold up an overwhelmed sweet counterpoint to this oral assault.

Wow. Just wow. If I typed like I would talk right now, it would be indecipherable. I can't complain about truth in advertising in this case - this is one tangy beer. The resident pepper gave its all, it would seem. So, the problem becomes, as in a number of fruit beer experiences - when does the guest ingredient overpower the essential beerness of a beer? Well, ladies and germs, feast your watering eyes on Exhibit A. So spicy, that the rest of the beer, as good or bad as it might be, can't fuck it up. I am biased, in that I use Serrano peppers a lot in cooking - in fact, I'm making Kung Pao tonight, and may just add this little remnant in my glass to the dish, why the hell not...

biboergosum, Aug 18, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Tmappin, Jan 31, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +98.5%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

JKfromKC, Jan 16, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +22.5%

DruC4, Jun 18, 2012
2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more.

tdm168, Nov 28, 2012
1.55/5  rDev -24%

A- Looks like piss with no head. Cool bottle.

S- Smells like a jar of hot peppers.

T- Taste like corona mixed with the juice out of a jar of chili peppers.

M- Average to low carb. No real mouthfeel.

D- I poured most of it. To be fair, I could not detect alcohol.

Paired with Pepperoni pizza. Maybe I should have tried a taco...

TheSupremeAJ, Dec 21, 2010
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.