Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
NashvilleBeerLover

4.8/5  rDev +134.1%

To begin this review, I must mention that I joined beer advocate as a member specifically to rate Cave Creek Chili Beer. This is my very first post/review on this site.

I have known about and read various beer reviews on this site for years. But after reading some of the negative reviews about Cave Creek Chili Beer I decided I must begin my membership’s debut review by defending this beer.

The general negativity among reviews about this beer bothers me. This is one of my all time favorite beers but I also realize that this beer is not for everybody.

For those not familiar with this beer, it comes in a bottle with a chili pepper at the bottom. Unless you're a total wimp, the chili pepper doesn’t generate the intense and overwhelming heat that some posters on this site may lead you to believe. It adds moderate heat and a good flavor and to me is very enjoyable, however I do not recommend eating the pepper because its taste has evaporated into the beer. The beer itself is light colored and pleasant tasting, without a lot of bitterness and with excellent drinkability. The pepper enhances the flavor, not overwhelms it. Instead of drinking a six pack of it at one sitting, this is a good beer to drink one or two of and follow it up with non-chili beer.

If you like this type of beer, you can also experiment with other beers and turn them into chili beers. Whatever brands you like will work, just make sure you buy bottles with twist-off caps. Buy a six pack of your favorite brew, a jar of chili peppers, a jar of hot red peppers, and some chili powder spice. Open the six beers and add one chili pepper, a small slice of red hot pepper, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of chili powder. Be sure to slit the chili pepper so it will release the juice inside. Finally, fill up the bottles by pouring a bit of juice from one of the pepper jars into them. Turn the bottles upside down a time or two to begin the mixing process. Place these in the frig for a few days then enjoy. You can experiment with the types and amounts of pepper to suit your taste.

Hopefully I haven’t grossed any beer drinkers out who don’t like chili beers! But don’t assume you don’t like them until you try them. Unfortunately Cave Creek Chili Beer is sometimes hard to find, but if you run across a store that sells it at least shell out 8-10 bucks once to try it so you can say you have.

04-21-2012 22:17:35 | More by NashvilleBeerLover
JRHope

4.5/5  rDev +119.5%

01-18-2012 22:59:07 | More by JRHope
CrossArmant

4.2/5  rDev +104.9%

I saw this on the rack at a specialty beer store around here and had to try it. I'm kind of baffled by the reviews I've read on here, I think it's definitely on of the better novelty beers I've had.

Appearance: Nothing special, a regular straw color of most American macro beers; but with .

Smell: It smelled very strongly of peppers and almost of a meal you'd get at your standard Mexican restaurant. A very nice and warming smell since I especially love spicy foods.

Taste: It tasted like a Mexican dish in drink form. As if I were eating Nachos, which I can understand most people would hate when they're drinking a beer, but I find it a very interesting and enjoyable experience. Pair it with some nachos and you're in business.

Mouthfeel: It leaves a nice tingle of spice in your mouth and the slight bitterness of beer. Good.

Drinkability: Very tasty, however, after two you wouldn't really want to drink more because of the spice to it.

05-04-2008 14:17:04 | More by CrossArmant
sethstout

4.08/5  rDev +99%

This beer was bought strictly for the novelty aspect and based on my personal preference of spicy foods. With this in mind my grading/judging of this beer is done with such a mind set.

A - it looks like a regular cerveza but with a green tint to it. Which is probably due to any pickling affect that the pepper went through while settling in the beer. A little bit of fuzz upon first crack but goes away as soon as it comes.

S - Like a pepper in a beer. You get a hint of the pepper spice but nothing poignant or over-whelming.

T - Upon t he first pass over the tongue it tastes like a regular cerveza, nothing fancy. After a couple of seconds you start to feel a twinge of spiciness from the pepper that is at the bottom of the bottle. I thought it was a nice kick and would serve great with chips or other mexican style dishes. To best explain the after taste. It is that of those pickled peppers that one can place on salads or subs.

M - Yet again much like other cervezas; just with a pepper twist at the end. Drank it at room temperature so curious to see if drinking it cold affects any aspect of the beer. Smooth at room temperature. Enjoyed the spicy tones left on palate.

D - This is a type of beer that I would enjoy one of. If I had bought a six pack of it, it would be shared with me and at least 9 other people. This due to the fact that I doubt that six individuals would actually enjoy this beer enough to drink an entire one. Well except for me, I enjoyed it and ate the pepper found at the bottom of the bottle.

Like I said at the beginning of this review, bought based on novelty and hopes of there being notes of pepper's spiciness. With this in mind, beer accomplished what I had sought out from it. Was not looking for high alcohol or great taste. Just a weird beer with a spicy kick to it.

I would drink it again, but if someone offered it to me. Also, considering my tastes; I would not offer it to someone else. For it seems that spicy foods/drinks that I enjoy others do not enjoy because it is too spicy or they do not like spicy foods. Maybe I should find new friends? Just kidding.

11-05-2009 14:15:14 | More by sethstout
JKfromKC

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +97.6%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot!

01-16-2012 01:00:12 | More by JKfromKC
Nattyp

Louisiana

4.05/5  rDev +97.6%

Found this beer at Marcello's Wine Shop in Baton Rouge, La.. very intrigued. The color and label put me off, but looks can be deceiving..and they were. Poured into a pint glass, the nose included hot pickeld jalapenos, maybe salsa. The taste was astonishingly gooood! Better than any terrible Mexican beer I've ever had, that is for sure. It tasted like a good medium bodied lager, and left a spicy tingly feel all over my tongue, lingered for a minute, then disappeared
in time for me to want to take another sip, then another. I accompanied the beer with lime tortilla chips and wow! The serrano chili inside the bottle was quite nice as well. I guess I would say this is definitley a food beer, and also would make for wonderful marinades and defintily the best Bloody Maria ever! Definitley warming..Just in time for winter!

10-23-2008 15:49:59 | More by Nattyp

alk3kenny

Georgia

3.86/5  rDev +88.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job.

07-16-2013 01:35:01 | More by alk3kenny
Portertime

3.85/5  rDev +87.8%

I picked this up at an ultra modern Publix with a huge organic selection. I seem the average grade of a D but I love this beer. Call me weird. Poured the average Corona pale gold with no head. Big deal. Smell was mild chili with a hint of hops. Taste was nice and spicey (just the way I like it) but not overbearing and mostly chili with the Mexican beer taste in the background. I like this better than Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Sorry guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

08-09-2009 04:53:03 | More by Portertime
generalnotsew

Tennessee

3.8/5  rDev +85.4%

Pours a terrible fizzy nearly clear straw yellow. The head is gone as soon as it makes contact with the glass. Smell is standard lager corn with a twist of lime. Yikes! This beer is HOT! Actually tastes close to what I expected. Somewhat sweet cereal malts with a huge pickled jalapeno backing it. I am not going to lie. I love the taste! If you can't handle spicy food then the drinkability will suffer for you. But I happen to love spicy. Aside from the terrible body and lack of smell this beer excels and what it set out to do. I expected to hate it. Turns out I was wrong.

02-17-2012 04:18:18 | More by generalnotsew
woodychandler

3.79/5  rDev +84.9%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle.

08-29-2013 21:32:31 | More by woodychandler
jsisko01

3.65/5  rDev +78%

The date on the bottle says 3-09-12 and today's date is 5-20-12. But it still seems fresh to me.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with no head at all. Has a chili pepper in the actual beer. No lacing exists.

Smell - Smells extremely spicy. All you can smell is the chili peppers.

Taste - HOLY SHIT. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank/eaten in my life. Honestly, it tastes pretty good but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could drink this. Unless you have a high tolerance for spicy food.

Mouthfeel - I'm not even taking another sip, sorry.

Overall - I would only suggest drinking this beer as a dare. I took a sip 20 minutes ago and my chest is still burning.

05-20-2012 04:37:33 | More by jsisko01
riversider76

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin head. No retention or laceing. Aroma is of hot peppers and salsa. Body is thin with some carbonation. Taste is pretty one dimentional,chili, chili and more chili.Little bit of a light lager comes through as well. Never had this style before, but it was intresting.I like hot and spicey,but would caution against this if you don't.

04-27-2009 23:21:41 | More by riversider76
mtnbikerpa

3.55/5  rDev +73.2%

Drank out of the bottle with best before date of 11/24/10 on the bottle. Golden yellow hue to the brew. I drank this cold, with the serano pepper in the bottom of the bottle. No real scent, but the spice of the pepper takes over the flavor of the beer. The warming nature of the pepper taste warms both throat and belly. It is interesting but certainly not really refreshing.

06-25-2010 21:29:41 | More by mtnbikerpa
sadman64

3.53/5  rDev +72.2%

My review:

Tastes like you are drinking a jalapeño.

My suggestion:

Only drink this beer if you like jalapeños.

This beer seems to be getting alot of bad reviews. Personally, I like spicy foods, and I enjoy this beer. If you do not like spicy food, I would not recommend drinking this beer. If you do not like jalapeños, I also would not recommend this beer. Everyone has a different taste, but for me this isn't a bad beer.

04-22-2008 22:08:56 | More by sadman64

03-19-2013 21:10:05 | More by PatGreer
hophugger

3.35/5  rDev +63.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day

07-13-2014 12:59:42 | More by hophugger
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.