1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
2.3/5  rDev +12.7%

I have read about this beer so I just had to pick up a single to try for myself.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a 1/2 inch fizzy white head that fades to nothing. No lacing whatsoever. The only smell I am getting on this one is the vinegar used to pack jalapenos after the peppers are removed from the container. I actually like jalapenos and pickling brine used in pickles and jalapenos so this isn't that off-putting by itself. Taste is of a typical Mexican lager (think Corona) with the spicy brine poured in. Again, not so bad because I like these pickled jalapenos. However, there is really no beer flavor that dominates this one. A very spicy burning lingers on the tongue and in the throat after each sip. The carbonation is somewhat high so this is like a spicy jalapeno soda. Overall, this isn't a very good beer. Yes, it's a chile beer and yes the chiles are front and center on this one but these aromas and flavors overpower any other real beer characteristics. Not as bad as I was expecting though.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 30, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -31.4%

The aroma was, I do not even know where to start with this one. It was a dull macro lager with hot sauce dumped in it, that was about it. Then I took a taste, holy sheep. This was just awful. So insanely hot that you cannot even get past the first sip. I have had others like Ring of Fire, that I really actually enjoyed, but this was just too much. Nothing redeeming here at all. It took me damn near an hour to get back my sense of taste, and it was still not the same. A very thin feel, well what you could tell before your mouth got torn apart again, good grief, this thing was rough,

This was one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Nothing here redeeming, even in a style that most may not like, this was at the bottom. Never again.

mikesgroove, Feb 28, 2011
2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

ygtbsm94, Dec 26, 2013

spycow, Jan 17, 2013

jaydoc, Oct 28, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -42.2%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body. As for the head, well, you just shouldn't worry about it. Avoiding accidentally pouring the goblin penis into your glass should be your top priority.

Smell: Smells like an opened jar of hot pepper sauce.

Taste: Tongue-abusing flavor of hot and shameful peppers with a brief, and I do mean brief sweetness beforehand. I cannot determine if it's the heat from the capsaicin or the sheer indignation that's seering my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Avoid. The most frightening words ever spoken: "That wasn't a chili pepper."

ChainGangGuy, Mar 22, 2008
1.08/5  rDev -47.1%

Jeez, who came up with this? This is barely drinkable at all. The pepper contaminates the beer all together and makes it like drinking fresh squeezed pepper juice. This almost has to be a joke. It's one thing to put fruit in beer but to put something like a pepper in it is just crazy. People drink beer to kill the burn of spicy foods not add to it. The aroma and taste of this is just chili pepper. Nothing else.

Knapp85, Mar 21, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Pours a clear pale straw with very little head (and that practically disappears instantly). The smell is akin to a whiff of a jalapeno-laden salad, the peppers taking the van whilst plenty of greens march from behind. The taste begins with a vague, pale wheatiness, with no real character...kinda like an MGD. This is followed by a fairly strong pepper burn that o'ertakes any other flavors and then, after malingering for a bit, takes off to parts unknown, leaving nothing but scorched earth in its wake. The body is surprisingly kinda medium (a bit hefty, if you ask me), with moderate carbonation and a Death Valley-style finish. This, plus the off-puttingly unbalanced heat, bog the drinkability down somewhere in the desert.

TMoney2591, Mar 21, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +49.5%

"Cave Creek Chili Beer, for the masochist in you!"®

Pulled this from the freezer after half an hour. The bottle was a little frosty, but the beer hadn't frozen at all. Cracked the cap, and it let out a hiss like a demonic snake or chemical burn in progress. Poured this into a Gaffel Kölsch stange glass.

Pale yellow, sheets of CO2 on the sides of the glass like soda. Lots of visible carbonation, unfortunately the small amount of foam it does generate fizzles out immediately, also like a soda, but faster even. Zero head. Served ice cold, I actually enjoy the aroma a bit, fragrant jalapeño almost floral, slightly leaning toward sliced green bell pepper, it could be more pronounced, but hey, this is a chile beer, and this is what you'd expect one to smell like.

Ralph Wiggum said it best, "It tastes like...burning!"
Coming from a person that eats raw habanero, serrano, and other very hot peppers, this wasn't too outrageous really. It's about the same as eating some fresh jalapeño. There was a little wisp of rice or corn at the end. Holding it on the palate, the feel is really dull and flaccid. For all the visible carbonation, it is long gone once it hits the palate. The throat and uvula sizzles with the capsaicin from the pepper, so avoid this if you're a chile novice.

It is what it is, a novelty beer, a one-trick pony. I've had worse beers. Try eating some fresh jalapeño while swigging a lager, it's virtually the same, just hybridized into beer form. Maybe a 5/10 on the heat scale, it didn't even make my eyes water. What I was afraid of was buildup of residual heat, but it didn't really go down that way thankfully. Thanks to J&R for this one...

emerge077, Dec 05, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +33.8%

Single 330ml bottle, BB June 2012 (with a bloated Serrano pepper lounging about the bottom), recently made available north of the 49th (yay, us!). From Tecate, Mexico - what, Arizona getting too expensive?

This beer pours (the star floaty included) a clear, pale apple juice yellow colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which is dispelled in barely a moment, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of zingy vegetal pepper heat, over a thin pale graininess. The taste is very spicy Serrano pepper, the oiliness and vegetal character both well represented as well. There is a mild underlying malt component, but it is quite obfuscated by the burn. Any of the purported 'hops' from the label are equally nondescript. The carbonation is fairly restrained, the body light, but not thin, and as smooth as a burning mouth in the absence of dairy products can be. It finishes spicy, the innocuous grain trying in vain (maybe) to hold up an overwhelmed sweet counterpoint to this oral assault.

Wow. Just wow. If I typed like I would talk right now, it would be indecipherable. I can't complain about truth in advertising in this case - this is one tangy beer. The resident pepper gave its all, it would seem. So, the problem becomes, as in a number of fruit beer experiences - when does the guest ingredient overpower the essential beerness of a beer? Well, ladies and germs, feast your watering eyes on Exhibit A. So spicy, that the rest of the beer, as good or bad as it might be, can't fuck it up. I am biased, in that I use Serrano peppers a lot in cooking - in fact, I'm making Kung Pao tonight, and may just add this little remnant in my glass to the dish, why the hell not...

biboergosum, Aug 19, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at brass rail in the cooler, poured chilled into a mug.

The color is dull golden with fast moving bubbles that are very small with no head at all -it doesn't even revive when swirled and the green chile is kind of drab like a canned green olive. The smell is very peppery but not exactly like fresh cut pepper, more like a gas station nacho or tostito queso pepper smell -pretty lifeless with a odd beer scent in the background. The feel is okay, not great, definitely spicy but not over the top with mild carbonation and light sweetness with a lingering heat in the finish.

The flavor is basically your average light lager or adjunct lager at first followed by a vegetal taste then heat, not that offensive, yet not a lot of actual malt or yeast in the taste either. The taste is pretty dominated by the heat of the jalapeno(?) after the first tow sips which again tastes like the smell -kind of peppery but I had to take a bite to be sure...it pretty much extracted all the heat and flavor out of the pepper into the beer. The pepper inside is just for show obviously but it has a flavorless fiber only aspect which explains the level of heat in the beer. Overall I guess I am more tolerant than others but the base beer is not awful or seriously flawed enough to give it a bad score -mediocre I suppose but I don't hate this just because it is a pale lager. I will say that I think it is less than average drinkbility in general since the heat is all you really get which is not that refreshing-could be good with something hearty, but I would probably avoid this and don't recommend it -basically a novelty with the pepper in the bottle.

Slatetank, May 10, 2014
1.28/5  rDev -37.3%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured warily into a pint glass (dammit...plop goes the pepper). Pale ginger ale color, clear with a slight chill haze, riddled with bubbly soda-like carbonation at first, but no head whatsoever. Aroma of distant grains, creamed corn, a little bit of scent from the pepper. Tasted entirely bland, watered down grain juice, with a little bit of heat from the pepper on the palate, not very hot, and not much taste from it at all. Light body, super watery, and just really awful, as expected. Worth a try as a novelty item, I suppose.

Rifugium, Feb 16, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a very clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is jalapeno juice with some corn adjuncts. The flavor is sweet corn with a jalapeno burn in the aftertaste. Strong heat in the back of the throat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 10, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +22.5%

DrunkinYogi, Jul 03, 2014

Clear 330ml bottle, brewed in Tecate, Mexico. Has the Cave Creek name on the label, but defo from Mexico.

Anyway, this was the sixth beer in my German and lager based tasting evening last week.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice (why not?), the chili floated about in the chalice: the head didn't appear for me, not even a collar around the rim.

I thought the beer began to grow on me somewhat, at first the chili flavours were too powerful, but as I got used to them the beer became more drinkable. I've had one before, many years ago in a MexTex restaurant in London, but that was well before becoming a BA. Glad I've had another. You can't be unkind on the scoring front, it says it's a chili beer, that's what it is!

BlackHaddock, Aug 08, 2011
3.79/5  rDev +85.8%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle.

woodychandler, Aug 29, 2013
2.1/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a piss poor clear urine colour, the type of urine you see when you're really ill, with absolutely no head. No fizziness. Looks like tepid dessert wine. No thanks. Possibly the most unappealing looking beer I've ever seen.

Lots of capsicum and chilli characters on the nose. Extremely spicy and fragrant - certainly not what you expect, but it's certainly not unpleasant. It has a very pleasant herbaceous vegetative bent to it. And that's what you want from the style.

Sweet entry, with a riproaring hot sauce burning on the back. Extreme chilli, tingling even several seconds after the sip. All the flavours are brutalised by the hot character. Unique as it is, it ruins any semblance of flavour this beer may have had.

Mouthfeel is absolutely unique, no denying it. What other beer scalds the skin off the inside of your mouth and nasal passages? Unfortunately, that's not really a good thing.

What a dichotomous beer. I'm not sure I've ever given such wildly varying scores for the different elements. It makes me think that the pleasant elements are really just random fluctuations, and the beer is not terribly good overall. Interesting? Sure. Unique? Undeniably. Drinkable? Not a chance.

lacqueredmouse, Aug 10, 2009
2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013

Georgiabeer, May 11, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -28.9%

(Served in an American Pint Glass)
best before 011211
  A-  This beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white bubbly head that is gone before I can set the bottle down.  The chili stays in the bottle.  There is a big carbonation of large bubbles that race to the surface.
  S-  The big green herbal chili aroma has a slight earthy pablano quality but I don't detect any other aromas.
  T-  Wow.  The first sip is pure burn from the tongue to the throat and back up the nostrils.  The burn lingers in the throat for the full glass.  There is a faint green chili taste that fights its way through the head about 1/2 way through the beer.
  M-  This beer has a light watery mouthfeel with a big fizz that enhances the burn.
  D-  All Burn, all the time.  There are really no other flavors except for a slight green chili note.  This is liquid carbonated fire.  I like spice and heat but not when it is the only thing you taste.   I didn't even get any corn or grain or malt notes.

rhoadsrage, Sep 01, 2010

"We want chili willies".- Barney (The Simpsons)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer, I've been looking for this one for a while, bottle from Wine World in Jersey. Hiss with a pry, OCCCCB pours out a uninspired pale yellow with fizz but not enough for a sparse cap, looks dead after 30 seconds. Smell is all peppers, chili, mexico, watered down Corona, it is what it is. On first sips im greeted by some spice, with pepper and some watered down mexican beer. Two seconds later, my mouth is spiced out of proportion with clashing chili/pepper, what have you. GROSS!! I could taste this for about a half hour afterwards. It almost wrecked my palate, mind you. Feel is fizzy thin with carb but for what. The beer is carbed I'll give it that, but the aftertaste of shame is huge. Im glad to give this a whirl. The US should use this beer as a interogation tactic for terrorists. That is all.

BARFLYB, Mar 25, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from kiltedtxn. Jalapeno at bottom of bottle. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/2" white head that was gone faster than I have ever seen a head disappear. Brew is light yellow in hue, totally clear, and there is no lacing to speak of. Aroma is lightly of generic beer, with off vegetal dominant.

Taste follows the aroma, balanced but generic, until the pepper burn comes on at the end. Actually, don't find the pepper as repulsive as most. Mouthfeel is thin, aftertaste is moderate burn, and drinkability is not good. I won't look for again, but I'll finish this one as a rite of passage.

ppoitras, Mar 17, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +2%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

LXIXME, Dec 11, 2011

Latarnik, May 28, 2014
2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more.

tdm168, Nov 28, 2012
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.