Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

2.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light notes of medium yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose with some additional hints of grainy malts and corn adjunct sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of grainy malts with some light amounts of corn adjunct sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors of chili pepper with a light to moderate amount of chili pepper spiciness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of chili pepper warming in the finish.

O: Do you get a prize if the pepper comes out of the bottle into your glass? Do you have to eat it? Overall, this beer is not as spicy as some of the others in the style and is fairly easy to drink though I don't think I will be running out to get another. (1,186 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +76.1%

I'm in love with this beer right now and had saw all the poor reviews. I had to stand up for it. I'm a fan of most kinds of beer, used to be obsessed with hops and now think I am burned out on that so I'm taking a bit of a break. My new thing is pepper beers. I tried a jalapeno ale from a local brewery a while back and have been hooked since. They also had a 11.2% habanero porter that was AMAZING. Sadly they don't make either anymore. They have moved on to other varieties.

I agree with much of what has been said about Cave Creek beer. "It's just a boring lager with spicy pepper oil added." "It has no head/carbonation." Why I love this beer: It satisfies my pepper beer craving, it's relatively inexpensive and it's not hard to find. I have tried several other pepper beers, all of which I believe taste better, but none of them are as easy to get a hold of, inexpensive or deliver the spicy kick that this one does. (936 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and poured with no head whatsoever and a very slight amount of visible carbonation.
S: Moderately strong aromas of chili peppers are present in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is all about spicy flavors of chili peppers and not much else.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There are some burning sensations left in your mouth from the chili peppers.
O: This beer is pretty spicy, but isn't as undrinkable compared to some of the other beers that I've had in the style.

Serving type: bottle (609 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +52.6%

Chili beers are a unique style, and Cave Creek has an excellent recipe on this one. Id like to know if the heat comes from the Serrano pepper that sits in the bottle or if there is some chili in the mash? Great beer for a Fall day. (231 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

ok, lots of bad ratings for this beer, but I differ a bit. Yes, I agree that this is not a premium beer with a premium taste...but....as long as it is very cold, this golden hued beer is very refreshing. Only aftertaste is of the chili, and if you have any tolerance for heat, the aftertaste is pleasant. The chili, I am sure is only decorative but adds a uniquness that most beers do not have. I drank straight from the bootle and found a refreshing beverage that would be great anytime, especially during a warm day (517 characters)

2.49/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I picked this up at brass rail in the cooler, poured chilled into a mug.

The color is dull golden with fast moving bubbles that are very small with no head at all -it doesn't even revive when swirled and the green chile is kind of drab like a canned green olive. The smell is very peppery but not exactly like fresh cut pepper, more like a gas station nacho or tostito queso pepper smell -pretty lifeless with a odd beer scent in the background. The feel is okay, not great, definitely spicy but not over the top with mild carbonation and light sweetness with a lingering heat in the finish.

The flavor is basically your average light lager or adjunct lager at first followed by a vegetal taste then heat, not that offensive, yet not a lot of actual malt or yeast in the taste either. The taste is pretty dominated by the heat of the jalapeno(?) after the first tow sips which again tastes like the smell -kind of peppery but I had to take a bite to be sure...it pretty much extracted all the heat and flavor out of the pepper into the beer. The pepper inside is just for show obviously but it has a flavorless fiber only aspect which explains the level of heat in the beer. Overall I guess I am more tolerant than others but the base beer is not awful or seriously flawed enough to give it a bad score -mediocre I suppose but I don't hate this just because it is a pale lager. I will say that I think it is less than average drinkbility in general since the heat is all you really get which is not that refreshing-could be good with something hearty, but I would probably avoid this and don't recommend it -basically a novelty with the pepper in the bottle. (1,662 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +40.4%

Sampling right now on 4/5/14. Had this before about 2 years ago. Wasn't there a 'Dave's Chili Beer' back in the 1990's? Anyway, not made in the USA but Mexico. 330ml (11.2oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a medium yellow in color with a small head that settles down to nothing to speak of as well as not much lacing to mention. The aroma is of pepper juice with some grains, like a Corona. The taste is a bit of heat from the pepper and actually like a spicy Corona. Lower carbonation and a bit on the light side. Ate the pepper at the end with a cracker. Overall, it is different and it was OK. (665 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -51.6%

Had this badboy while jamming my fingers into a pencil sharpener. After drinking most of it I used it to cauterize my sutures.

A-Looks like your standard swill beer, a light yellow bubbly pour, looked like it was trying desperately to make some kind of head, but nothing more than a thin layer of foam.

S-Like the bowels of a muskrat. If said muskrat was dead.

T- Hits you with a chili-swill beer taste that can only be described as hellish.

M-I drank it about an hour ago and I still have the hiccups, my mouth still burns. I fear that I've scarred my mouth for life.

O-Straight from the 7th plain of hell. Satan would be proud. Absolutely disgusting. Please don't drink this yourself. (691 characters)

2.31/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat. (386 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Take a beer. Any beer. Put some chiles in it and voila you can have your own custom chili beer. I like the heat and the taste was not too bad. However there is no body whatsoever and the beer itself is thin and watery. The only reason I even like this beer at all is because of the heat. But like I said just take your favorite beer and pop in some peppers and you will have your own custom great tasting chili beer. As far as the marketing it looks to me like an American guy decides to brew this beer in Mexico to give the appearance that this is a true chili beer. It's basically some guy brewing cheap crap in his garage. Won't be buying this one again. (657 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -4.2%

33 cl. bottle sampled.

Ah, the infamous, Cave Creek Chili Beer, clear bottle & an old shrunken chilli and everything. Got some in a plastic cup, this looks exactly like a small urine sample in a plastic cup, if there ever a beer which deserved to get 0/5 on appearance, this is the one. Nose carries some vegetables, too bad, bit of a white sugar & low quality old oily chilli. Taste is too much vegetable juice upfront, herbs, corn, these are the flavours which make this brew not particularly pleasant, it is not that bad actually. Finish carries the burn, nice burn, not that brutal, heat level like this in a pale lager is not too bad, neat. The chilli is low quality & oily, too bad. Flat, too much vegetable notes & other things mentioned. Still as far as pale lagers go this one is not that bad. (804 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was no real head to speak of. A trace of lacing, but nothing substantial.

S: Not surprisingly, lots of chili, but little else. Very one dimensional.

T: Tasted of chili, chili, and more chili. There's a little bit of corn and malt, but these ingredients do not stand up to the chili onslaught. Like the aroma, the flavor is too one dimensional and grating.

M: A below average amount of carbonation and an abrasive finish. Light-bodied. Guaranteed to give you heartburn.

O: This style of beer is hard to get right. It can be easy to go overboard with the chilis. This is what happened with this one. Not recommended. (716 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market. (829 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Okay, I have had a chili beer before. It must have been about 20 years ago, and I remember it being absolutely in undrinkable. No taste, just unbearable heat. So, that was the benchmark that I had in mind when I opened this bottle, a brew that my wife bought for me as a little surprise. First of alls, although it isn't good, it also isn't undrinkable. The smell is of green chilies. Maybe a little spicey pepper, and some adjunct macro lager veggie brew scents. The taste has heat, and it definitely distracts from the taste of the beer. But, it is not too much that the beer isn't drinkable. It is a nice, slow burning heat. Some mild sweetness in the beer. The heat prevents me from giving a really accurate description of the beer characteristics in themselves. Light body. I won't have another one (well, maybe in another 20 years), but it was interesting enough that, although I didn't like it, I don't regret trying. (924 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +77.9%

I have been curious to try this beer for some time and when a single came available at The Friendly Greek, I jumped on it. I had some chili pepper beers during my recent visit to CANorado and again at The Great Dane in Madison, WI. I found them to be hot, but enjoyable, real sipping beers, not to be chugged down like they were going out of style. I also used them to scourge myself since I was very naughty on a number of occasions.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy bone-white head that quickly dissipated itself out of existence. Color was golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. As I watched King Midas, Croesus and Mammon slaver over it, I actually considered giving those greedy bastiges some of it just to teach them a lesson. Nose smelled as though the pepper had been in the bottle for a while, leaching out its peppery flavors. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the heat was instantaneous. Man, I began to sweat behind my eyeballs and I wondered how difficult it might be to rip my tongue out of my head. Another sip was called for and the dichotomy of the cold beer and the peppery heat had me reeling. It looked so innocuous and yet my sinuses were filled with heat and my nose began to drip. My next sip caused my bald spot to gain a sheen of sweat and my eyes watered uncontrollably. I was now well into my penance. Now, it was becoming a personal challenge - how much could I get in my mouth and swallow without initiating the gag reflex? A healthy mouthful and swallow later and who needs a barium rinse? I could map the path from mouth to gullet to windpipe to stomach right afterwards. Yee hah! I was suddenly harder than Chinese arithmetic with Russian (Cyrillic) instructions. Where is The Old Lady when I need her? Steam began to vent from my ears and I began to sense that something may be going sideways on this venture. My next draught left me gasping for air as my throat involuntarily constricted. Perhaps a small snack in the form of the pepper was in order ... WRONG F**KING ANSWER! The paramedics were quick to to respond, being as that I live only a few blocks from LGH and they burst into laughter at seeing the remnants of the chewed pepper and the spent bottle laying on its side next to the pepper. C'mon, fellas, have a heart. I'm in real pain here. Truth be told, it was hot, but the Pepper Pilsner at The Great Dane was way worse. I would not want another again right away, but it was kind of fun to finally try one of these from a commercially-available bottle. (2,538 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +82.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job. (818 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Appearance – A clear light golden color with little visible carbonation and a small head that disappears almost instantly. Has a chili floating inside.

Smell – A very light adjunct beer scent with chili. Although I like chilies ok, the chili/beer combination in this really wasn’t that pleasant; in fact it was kind of nasty. I didn't care much for smelling this whenever I took a sip.

Taste – Quite a bit of spiciness (but nothing close to their Crazy Ed’s Chili Beer). There are really no other flavors to speak of other than a light adjunct beer flavor, as the chili dominates the palate. The chili tasted rather plain when eaten.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat flat, thin, with a hot spiciness.

Drinkability – There’s not much flavor to this beer other than spicy chili, so it's not highly drinkable. (814 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I asked for chili beers and alelover called my bluff - well played Joel... well played.

Pours like something you shouldn't drink. Sort of an orange/yellow color that sits in the glass like apple juice.

Little to no heat on the schnoz... soft wheat and pils notes... some bready yeast and a suggestion of heat.

Honestly... not as atrocious as I expected. It's a flat pilsner with a chili pepper zing on the finish. It might make for a decent spicy beer if they didn't put a whole fucking pepper in the bottle. Why would you do that? It's cute, but it completely destroys the feel of the beer.

Boring. Spicy.

It's boring and spicy. (637 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -39%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it. (1,095 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The chili pepper in the beer was a unexpected surprise. But outside of the chili pepper heat this beer is meh. Generic lager with pepper in it. The pepper is all in the back end of it so its not too hot too drink. Tried it once wouldn't get it again. (250 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Ed Chileen is retired now, and his beer is contract-brewed in Tecate, Mexico. What they basically do is take a very average Mexican lager and squirt some pepper oil into the bottle. Seriously -- the quality control is so shoddy that I could not find a six-pack of Chili beer at BevMo where every bottle had a pepper in it! Yet even the pepperless bottles had the same chili taste.

If you want to experience the brew that Ed had originally conceived, then take any good, solid lager and pour it into a glass with 1/4 teaspoon of chili pepper oil mixed in. You will have a far better "chili beer" than this crap.

**UPDATE** I found a great substitute. Take cheap Mexican beer (I use Indio) and add 1 tablespoon of Italian Pepperoncini "juice" (drained from a jar of pepperoncini peppers). (788 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I like writing long, eloquent reviews... but this beer doesnt deserve one.

tastes like you mixed corona with the pickling liquid in a jar of pickled jalapenos.
I poured a 2 oz sample of this for about 20 people. Not one finished their 2 oz sample. Unless you're trolling someone, or totally hate them... do not buy them this beer. Do not buy this beer yourself. Allow your friend who is new to the craft brewing scene to bring this to a party as a "joke" or "experiment," then quietly and discreetly pour yours out when everyone else is gagging on theirs.

Done. (565 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +46.5%

Muy picante.

This is basically a decent Mexican lager with a chili pepper in the bottle. Spicy, and unique. I have GOT to have a bottle of this next time I make my World Famous Chili.

Warning: Mere mortals may not be able to handle the heat! Personally, I found it to be a bit refreshing. (291 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Very clear dark yellowish with no head. Pepper can clearly be seen through the bottle. Not entirely sure what kind of pepper it is however.

S - Obviously peppers, adjunct, a bit pepper extract like?

T - Slight amounts of pepper but predominantly adjuncty. Tastes like a spicy corona.

M - No carbonation and light bodied.

O - Overall, Pretty weird but not terrible. I'd like to try some more Chile Beers. I love hot foods so this thing wasn't very hot for me, Only mildly spicy. (486 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +8.9%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more. (566 characters)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.