Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

pDev: 57%
Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

1.54/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours like flat urine except for a light, slow bead. No head whatsoever although some weird soft drink fizz when first poured. No lace either. Just about the worst-looking beer I've ever seen.

Very astringent and pungent nose, very spicy in a bitter, gravelly way. Kind of organic, like rotten vegetable matter. Not much else, just that - yes, chilli - aroma. Marks for pungency, marks off for simplicity and general unpleasantness.

Taste has actually a really nice chilli fire, no doubt due to the oily presence of the pepper itself. Slight astringent vegetable sensation on the front and then a vinegar kind of character on the mid. Tastes of spice on the back, peppery and fiery, but it's mostly present just from the burning feel as it goes down, which is really the only good thing about this weak, flat urine. Although I like the burn, I don't know where to rate it up actually, because the taste is weak and uninteresting, mouthfeel apart from the burn is thin and watery, and because of the intensity it's not actually drinkable. I mean, really, if you want this sensation you can eat a whole chilli, or pour boiling water down your throat but I wouldn't call either of those experiences "drinkable".

Congratulations on putting a chilli in a bottle, Cave Creek. Feel free to brew a beer next time.

1.41/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Pours a golden color, similar to Corona, but a little darker. Produces a very quickly dissapating white head.

The smell is similar to that of a store bought jar of sandwich peppers. It almost has a vinegary characteristic to it. This beer smells spicy, which I guess it should.

Burns immediately on hitting the pallet, and burns on the way down too. It is very hard to taste anything beyond the heat, which almost seems unnatural, as I like really spicy food, and can typically taste beyond the heat.

Mouthfeel is somewhat oily, and the heat remains on the pallet.

Overall I'm really not impressed. For me, this was a drain pour. By far my favorite aspect of this beer was biting into the chili pepper at the bottom of the bottle and watching beer fizz out of the tip...amusing, but not a good beer.

2.15/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a piss poor clear urine colour, the type of urine you see when you're really ill, with absolutely no head. No fizziness. Looks like tepid dessert wine. No thanks. Possibly the most unappealing looking beer I've ever seen.

Lots of capsicum and chilli characters on the nose. Extremely spicy and fragrant - certainly not what you expect, but it's certainly not unpleasant. It has a very pleasant herbaceous vegetative bent to it. And that's what you want from the style.

Sweet entry, with a riproaring hot sauce burning on the back. Extreme chilli, tingling even several seconds after the sip. All the flavours are brutalised by the hot character. Unique as it is, it ruins any semblance of flavour this beer may have had.

Mouthfeel is absolutely unique, no denying it. What other beer scalds the skin off the inside of your mouth and nasal passages? Unfortunately, that's not really a good thing.

What a dichotomous beer. I'm not sure I've ever given such wildly varying scores for the different elements. It makes me think that the pleasant elements are really just random fluctuations, and the beer is not terribly good overall. Interesting? Sure. Unique? Undeniably. Drinkable? Not a chance.

3.82/5  rDev +84.5%

I picked this up at an ultra modern Publix with a huge organic selection. I seem the average grade of a D but I love this beer. Call me weird. Poured the average Corona pale gold with no head. Big deal. Smell was mild chili with a hint of hops. Taste was nice and spicey (just the way I like it) but not overbearing and mostly chili with the Mexican beer taste in the background. I like this better than Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Sorry guys, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

1.93/5  rDev -6.8%

Picked up in a pick 6 from the grocery store. Figured it might be an interesting change. It has a chili in the bottle, how could I resist the gimmick?

Placed it in the freezer for 45 minutes (from room temperature). Drank it straight from the bottle, not willing to dirty a glass for my low expectations. First drink was decent, a nice jalapeno taste. I would not compare it to the juice from the jalapeno jar but instead more like jalapeno extract. It was not overly hot, in fact it was just about right. The heat hits the back of your throat and stick there for a long time, but never becomes overwhelming. There was hardly any taste of beer, only a slight lager taste at the end, before it is overwhelmed by chili.

Every sip there after got worse as the taste got old. I started to wonder when the bottle would be done. As expected two hours later I have the same slightly upset stomach I would feel if I ate a bunch of spicy food.

This is not to say that it is a totally nonredeemable beer, I would just appreciate a few sips, then let it be and pass the bottle.

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Saw this...I had to try it. Luckily it was less than 2 bucks.

Appearance: Golden yellow, no head whatsoever. Looks like a macro with a pepper in it.

Aroma: Beer and pepper juice

Taste: Mostly macro beery upfront, the pepper taste doesn't really kick in until a burn in your throat. Its really not that spicy, but I don't like this type of flavor in a beer. I think Rogue has a beer of this style that does a much better job.

Mouthfeel: Light

Drinkability: Ha! I struggled to finish this one. But even if you were to make the statement that only people who like spicy foods would take this, it didn't take me. And I grew up on Indian food.

1.08/5  rDev -47.8%

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. My A-B rep came in today and we decided to give this a try...fuck I'm an idiot for saying ok.

A- Poured into a glass. Pours a light golden color. Nothing special just like a BMC. Very little head at first that then comes to life midway through the pour leaving me with a good 1/4 inch off white head. When it dies down left no lacing. I was lucky enough to have the pepper land in my glass....it must not of liked being in the bottle much for as I cracked the bottle open in the first place it shot to the top. Not a good looking beer in my opinion. This can only get worse.

(on a side note my assistant manager who likes anything hot took the chili out of my cup and took a bite out of it. His eyes lit up and about 2 minutes later raced to the bathroom because the pepper didn't sit right with him...I should have known then this was going to be unpleasant).

S- This is rancid smelling at best. The smell of peppers is almost too much. This beer smells like a warm Bud on a hot day with someones idea of a joke by putting pepper juice in it. I tried to find some good in it but it's gone bad a long time ago and wasn't coming back. I would rather stick my nose in a run over skunk's asshole during the middle of summer than smell this horrible horrible beer again.

T- After smelling the beer I once again didn't really want to drink it. Upon first sip I didn't even taste anything. This is good right?? No because I just got a burning feeling going down my throat. I think this is what it would be like if Satan decided to walk upon us and pick you out as a human urinal. No real distinct taste but it burns when it hits the back of your mouth. It tasted like a BMC gone wrong. This hellfire should be given back to Hell pronto!

M- I didn't really want to even put this back into my mouth after the first taste but for the sake of a review I did. Oh the horror. Yes it does have a light and crisp feel to it as long as you could forget about the overwhelming pepper taste that came along with it. It coated everything in a watery pepper juice taste. Hot. Like someone started a wildfire in your mouth. And I then remembered "Only you can prevent forest fires!" How I wish I would have heeded to those warnings.

D- Why anyone would rate this high is beyond me. I understand everyone has a different palate but for crying out loud who would want some hot Satan piss in their mouth? Oh yea the same people who like the golden showers. Word of advice for those people who are trying to be pushed into giving their partner a golden shower...tell them to close their eyes and pour this on them. It will get them to never ask you to do it again.

P.S. You should give this beer a try someday. Just so you know what I am talking about.

1.33/5  rDev -35.7%

Got to taste this while buying a few singles tonight. Woof.

Pours a pale yellow. The guy pouring it didn't put a head on it. Just looks like your usual macro lager.

It smells like a can of green chiles. This is not a pleasant aroma when it comes to beer.

The flavor is fucking godawful. It tastes like a jalapeno breadstick. If I had an actual jalapeno-spiked breadstick to eat, I would be happy. But when I'm drinking said breadstick, you can just get right the hell out of here, pal.

Mouthfeel is typical adjunct lager, but with plenty of burn. I was surprised at how spicy it turned out to be. I wasn't begging for mercy or anything, but it was definitely hotter than expected.

Drinkability is null. This shit is heartburn city. I'll never drink it again.

3.65/5  rDev +76.3%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin head. No retention or laceing. Aroma is of hot peppers and salsa. Body is thin with some carbonation. Taste is pretty one dimentional,chili, chili and more chili.Little bit of a light lager comes through as well. Never had this style before, but it was intresting.I like hot and spicey,but would caution against this if you don't.

2.64/5  rDev +27.5%

Found bottles of this on a recent trip to Phoenix/Tempe; I'm attracted to the oddball beer, so I couldn't leave without snagging one. Clear bottle (best before: 011510 - remarkable 9+ month shelf life!) poured to a pint glass.

'Premium Lager Beer with a Chili Pepper added'. Brewed & bottled in Tecate, Mexico, by 'Black Mountain Brewing Company'.

A: Golden yellow pour, perfectly clear. A fizzle of white head that's gone in seconds, leaving a sleepy-looking liquid with a random scattering of lonely carbonation bubbles. No lace.

S: Smells like a chili pepper in a mildly sweet adjunct lager. Yep, that sums it up.

T: Pepper heat doesn't hit immediately, taking a few sneaking seconds to build then bursts wide open. It's an average corn-like, honey sweet benign macro with one dimension alone: chili pepper.

M: Underwhelmingly slick and thin. If it weren't for the pepper warming, this would be as boring a feel as it gets.

D: Really had no trouble finishing a bottle. Glad I could compare this within a week to the (much) superior Calapooia Chili Beer. Cute gimmick with the pepper in the bottle (which bobs to the top once the cap is popped); I even decided to consume the pepper once I finished the bottle - not bad. Not as intensely hot, nor as diabolical as other reviews made it out to be: a nice warm plate of nachos or a dash of tabasco in a beer bottle. And I'm fine with that.

Worth a try, just for fun...

2.19/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce clear glass bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Small fizzy white head vanished as quickly as it appeared. The pale green chili floating in the glass really ruins the appearance. Unsurprisingly the smell is a combination of a pale lager and peppers. Not only does it taste like chili peppers but it's also a little spicy which for some reason I was not expecting.

I enjoyed the novelty of this beer but overall it was just a little too wierd and gross for me and the last bit of beer was poured down the drain.

2.47/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The pour was typical in appearance to Mexican lagers...pale yellow and headless. I really liked the heat from the chili pepper. However, that is the only high point of this beer for me. I like the idea of this, but wish the foundation was better than some cheap mexican lager. I would even like this better using something like Budweiser that, while not having a lot of taste, is at least very drinkable. Having said that, I found the perfect combo for this beer. Pour a couple inches of Clamato into your glass followed by a bottle of this stuff and yum-o as Rachel Ray would say!

2.7/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured a rather uriny yellow in colour with no head and no lacing.

Smelled vaguely of beer but mostly of chili.

Tasted rather mild at first then there was a small amount of tickle from the chili. I can't really describe the flavour but it was basically liquid chili. I don't mind hot things so it came as no surprise that it had a bit of a mild kick.

Mouthfeel was very watery and it was low on the carbonation.

At least I can say I tried it. Not something I'd actively seek out to drink though.

2.73/5  rDev +31.9%

I have been wanting to try a pepper beer, although I have been a bit apprehensive about it. I like beer and I like spicy food, but I'm not sure if they belong in the same container. I did not notice the chili pepper in the bottle when I purchased it. I poured into a pint glass to a typical Mexican beer head, nonexistant. It is a clear, pale yellow like a lager. I smells like peppers. It tastes like lager with some heat. I am kind of surprised at the spiciness. This is the reason I don't drink Corona. If you have to add a fruit or vegetable to a beer it really isn't drinkable. Overall it is not as bad as I thought, but still not good. I wasn't sure how to rate since this is my first experience so I may have went a little too easy on it.

1.68/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - served and consumed from the bottle, as it seemed most appropriate as such. Had a chili pepper in it. Urea yellow, crystal clear in a clear bottle. The chili is so cool!

S - wow this smells like bud with Tabasco sauce. Or the juice of canned jalapeno peppers... interesting....

T - tastes like colt 45 with jalapeno juice. Pretty spicy and tickles the throat. A bit hot. Spicy!! Again, it is very interesting...

M - light bodied, pretty carbonated and hot.

D - I would not get this again

Overall - Thanks to my buddy pH for getting me this. Definitely a shock factor, I have never seen a chili pepper in a beer before. However catchy, it certainly does not have the taste of a proper beer. All I get from this is perhaps a malt liquor flavor without the alcohol and Tabasco sauce. So basically, a macro adjunct lager with hot sauce. It's quite the gag gift but for enjoyment, I think you need a certain palate that most people do not have. Definitely interesting, but not my cup of tea (or pint of beer).

1.76/5  rDev -15%

Had this in the beer fridge for a while, avoiding it out of pure fear. In the spirit of New Beer Sunday, decided to confront my fear this afternoon.

Poured a clear yellow color, with a head that bolted like lightning. Zero lacing, plenty of visible carbonation though.

Smell - well, let's see, um, how do I describe this? Hot Pepper. Yep, that's it. Given that I'm reviewing this against the STYLE, I have to give this a 3 for smelling like "Chile Beer".

Taste - like an average american adjunct lager that has been eaten, digested, and regurgitated by that pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle.

Thin mouthfeel which was biting and hot on the back of the throat ... wish I had a couple chips to cool this off.

Not the least bit drinkable - maybe in the right setting like a tasting with a lot of mexican food. Have no idea how people buy a case of this, but saw about 10 piled up at Shangy's the other day, and this shocked me almost as much as the beer itself.

1.52/5  rDev -26.6%

A- the head (if that's what you wanna call it) literally fizzled away in less than a second, faster than i could even pour. interesting seeing a chili pepper in the bottle. clear golden, lots of rising bubbles but no foam what so ever.

S- smells of cheap beer and hot pepper at first, then the beer aroma is almost completely masked by smoked green chili.

T- ok, i like hot foods, but this is ridiculous. it's hot as shit, not mind numbingly hot like scotch bonnets, but plenty uncomfortable. serrano chili is a hot pepper, and only a sliver would have been necessary to add a good deal of flavor to this beer. somewhat salty with a faint beer flavor, this is more like drinking the liquid from a jar of preserved chilis.

MF- fizzy, numbing, and hot.

D- this beer goes overboard in almost every way. you would have to love chilis with every ounce of passion in your body to drink this stuff. might actually be decent if there wasn't a whole damn pepper in the bottle.

1.23/5  rDev -40.6%

Drank straight from the bottle because I have a feeling it's not worth dirtying a glass. Looks like a cheap adjunct lager but this one happens to have a pepper in it. Smells like really cheap bad beer with a hint of pepper. Tastes like watered down hot sauce with carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and very hot. Not very drinkable at all. This is definitely a drain pour. I didn't have high hopes for this beer and it's about what I expected. This beer would be great for a prank.

This beer pours more like a soda than a beer. The head is really fizz, and goes away the second I am done pouring it. The color of the beer is golden, but it really doesn't look like beer. The aroma is tobasco sauce, very unbeery. The taste is awful in the strongest sense of the word. It is like drinking a bottle of tobasco sauce. The mouthfeel is like that of a soda, fizzy and light. Overall, I tried this beeer, because I wanted to know if it was as bad as my fellow BAs have said. They were right. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, this is the worst thing I have ever drank....ever.

1.6/5  rDev -22.7%

This poured a clear light gold color with no head. It smelled predominantly like chili peppers with some cultured yeast and a bit of caramel malt. It tasted very spicy with jalapeno and green chili flavors, along with a bit of sweet yeast. It was a bit thin and sticky with a fair amount of carbonation, and an overly hot aftertaste. Overall this beer was great! Just kidding; it was terrible. It was definitely unique and true to its name, but was really difficult to drink. It was over the top spicy, and the other ingredients were cheap and unbalanced. I didn't care for the mouthfeel either, and ultimately barely finished the bottle. I agree that this might make a funny gag gift, but it's barely even worth trying for the novelty, and it's certainly a beer I won't ever drink again.

1.67/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: This brew pours just like an American adjunct macrobrewery sleection. Negligable head. Pale liquid. No lacings with very minor glass clingings. Not impressive at all.

Smell: Adjunct presence. Some sort of hot spice...presumably from the pepper that was in the bottle.

Taste: This tastes like a poor Canadian adjunct brew. Indeed the hot pepper is detectible, but I did not find this impressive at all. Poor.

Mouthfeel: Terrible. There is a bad aftertaste and my lips tingle. I do not like this.

Drinkability: Poor. I was unable to complete this brew.

Stay away from this.

1.15/5  rDev -44.4%

Given to me by my local beer store owner. what a mess this is, No idea why you would drink except for novelty. . 12 ounce bottle Pours a pale yellow color with no head. Aroma is straight peppers. Nothing else. Taste is really hot. I guess that's what they're going for, but it's ridiculous and I couldn't take it seriously. Good Gag Gift thats about it.

I didn't realize that they could bottle Tabasco sauce and pass it off as beer. Because that's all this is. You can miss the bottle, because it has a giant green pepper in it.

It's as spicy as hell and leaves a horrible burning from my mouth to about halfway down my trachea. It actually fizzes as you poor it into a glass.

I was worried about getting a disease while drinking this, and while I don't mind dying slowly from alcohol intake, I'd rather not have it be from a single crap beer.

1.03/5  rDev -50.2%

12oz bottle from the BevMo!, in Scottsdale, Arizona.

A- Pours a clear golden straw piss-yellow. Flat. There appears to be no carbonation or head whatsoever. The giant chili pepper floating in my glass isn't a comforting site either...
S- Faint chili pepper aroma. Who would have guessed? That might be a good thing if I was having some salsa or a taco, but certainly not in my beer.
T- Oh gawd. I can't even begin to describe how awful this drink is. From this point on, I will no longer refer to this as a "beer." It is a drink. A horrific, spicy, drink. It's like someone poured jalepeno juice into a MGD 64.
M- Um, spicy? I really can't concentrate on the mouthfeel when my drink tastes like liquified jalepeno ass.
D- I got through like three sips. I almost puked. I actually almost feel sorry for my drain at this point.

Seriously, I can't think of one good thing to write about this drink. Not a single one. I can only hope that those reading this will not make the same mistake I made...

1.6/5  rDev -22.7%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili comes in a clear bottle with a chili pepper floating in it. It pours a pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is chili pepper. The flavor is more heat than flavor. In all fairness this beer tastes just like a chili pepper not just heat, but that's all it tastes like. This is really a bad beer, it ended up being a drain pour even though four of us tried to drink a twelve ounce bottle and couldn't manage it. It's purely a novelty rather than a drinkable beer.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.