Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

3.89/5  rDev +82.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job. (818 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Appearance – A clear light golden color with little visible carbonation and a small head that disappears almost instantly. Has a chili floating inside.

Smell – A very light adjunct beer scent with chili. Although I like chilies ok, the chili/beer combination in this really wasn’t that pleasant; in fact it was kind of nasty. I didn't care much for smelling this whenever I took a sip.

Taste – Quite a bit of spiciness (but nothing close to their Crazy Ed’s Chili Beer). There are really no other flavors to speak of other than a light adjunct beer flavor, as the chili dominates the palate. The chili tasted rather plain when eaten.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat flat, thin, with a hot spiciness.

Drinkability – There’s not much flavor to this beer other than spicy chili, so it's not highly drinkable. (814 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I asked for chili beers and alelover called my bluff - well played Joel... well played.

Pours like something you shouldn't drink. Sort of an orange/yellow color that sits in the glass like apple juice.

Little to no heat on the schnoz... soft wheat and pils notes... some bready yeast and a suggestion of heat.

Honestly... not as atrocious as I expected. It's a flat pilsner with a chili pepper zing on the finish. It might make for a decent spicy beer if they didn't put a whole fucking pepper in the bottle. Why would you do that? It's cute, but it completely destroys the feel of the beer.

Boring. Spicy.

It's boring and spicy. (637 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -39%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it. (1,095 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The chili pepper in the beer was a unexpected surprise. But outside of the chili pepper heat this beer is meh. Generic lager with pepper in it. The pepper is all in the back end of it so its not too hot too drink. Tried it once wouldn't get it again. (250 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Ed Chileen is retired now, and his beer is contract-brewed in Tecate, Mexico. What they basically do is take a very average Mexican lager and squirt some pepper oil into the bottle. Seriously -- the quality control is so shoddy that I could not find a six-pack of Chili beer at BevMo where every bottle had a pepper in it! Yet even the pepperless bottles had the same chili taste.

If you want to experience the brew that Ed had originally conceived, then take any good, solid lager and pour it into a glass with 1/4 teaspoon of chili pepper oil mixed in. You will have a far better "chili beer" than this crap.

**UPDATE** I found a great substitute. Take cheap Mexican beer (I use Indio) and add 1 tablespoon of Italian Pepperoncini "juice" (drained from a jar of pepperoncini peppers). (788 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I like writing long, eloquent reviews... but this beer doesnt deserve one.

tastes like you mixed corona with the pickling liquid in a jar of pickled jalapenos.
I poured a 2 oz sample of this for about 20 people. Not one finished their 2 oz sample. Unless you're trolling someone, or totally hate them... do not buy them this beer. Do not buy this beer yourself. Allow your friend who is new to the craft brewing scene to bring this to a party as a "joke" or "experiment," then quietly and discreetly pour yours out when everyone else is gagging on theirs.

Done. (565 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +46.5%

Muy picante.

This is basically a decent Mexican lager with a chili pepper in the bottle. Spicy, and unique. I have GOT to have a bottle of this next time I make my World Famous Chili.

Warning: Mere mortals may not be able to handle the heat! Personally, I found it to be a bit refreshing. (291 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Very clear dark yellowish with no head. Pepper can clearly be seen through the bottle. Not entirely sure what kind of pepper it is however.

S - Obviously peppers, adjunct, a bit pepper extract like?

T - Slight amounts of pepper but predominantly adjuncty. Tastes like a spicy corona.

M - No carbonation and light bodied.

O - Overall, Pretty weird but not terrible. I'd like to try some more Chile Beers. I love hot foods so this thing wasn't very hot for me, Only mildly spicy. (486 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +8.9%

I found this at Beers of the World in Henrietta, NY on a recent trip. For novelty purposes I couldn't pass it up.

A - yellow with fast-disappearing, fizzy, white head; chili pepper in the bottle is kind of cool

S - all pepper like chili paste; the nose is the best part of this beer. It's spicy and would excite anyone who likes peppers

T - grains, heavy pepper, light spicy finish; this is like a bad mexican lager with pepper added. The lager is sweet and incredibly grainy. The pepper is pleasant but it can't save this one. This is a novelty and nothing more. (566 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +23.5%

I've heard bad things about this, but I figure its worth trying at least once. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, best before 6/22/13. This pours a clear light yellow with a pepper in the bottom and a short lived small head. The smells are of chili along with adjuncts, not much else. The feel is light. The taste is poor but unusual, a light amount of beer tastes upfront along with some pepper and chili burn. (422 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +46%

11.2 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Best Before 011313

A - Cave Creek Chili Beer pours, with the chili, an insanely effervescent and bubbly clear pale gold color. The bubbles don't seem to ever let up, feeding into the massive and well-retained (especially for a beer with a pepper in it!) pillar of white foam. I never thought I'd have a chili floating in my beer.

S - Mild notes of a macro adjunct lager hide behind the watered down aroma of a standard sport pepper container. Just picture opening a can of peppers, pouring out three-quarters of the liquid, peppers included, and filling the rest of the can with your favorite BMC and you've got yourself Cave Creek Chili Beer. It seems to fit the bill, so I can't say it's awful, but I will say I'm definitely not attracted to it.

T - At first Cave Creek Chili Beer tastes like a typical macro lager; light-bodied, incredibly fizzy, and damn near flavorless but the chili kicks in pretty quickly to change all that. It seems to briefly skip over the tongue with a preference to attack the back of your throat where it heats up and lingers, slowly warming up on the lips as well. Give your brain a few minutes to digest what's going on; chili in beer... and then you'll begin to pick up some balancing pilsner sweetness.

M - Just calling it spicy doesn't quite cut it, though it's not as "spicy" as one might imagine. This spice is actually balanced nicely in flavor with some sweet pilsner malts. Rather, the spiciness forgoes the tongue heat to, instead, linger in the back of the throat and on the lips (make sure you're not drinking this with chapped, cracked lips!) Very light bodied and as carbonation-rich as a soda, Cave Creek Chili Beer is, in some ways, appealing.

O - Cave Creek Chili Beer isn't just a beer, it's an experience. From the floating pepper in the beer to the spicy lager taste, this gold-labeled beer is unique to be sure. Certainly polarizing, Cave Creek Chili Beer won't appeal to everyone. In fact, it probably won't appeal to most people, but there's a market for it and if there's one beer I can think of that would go great with some Mexican food, it would be this beer. Per the label, it doesn't even seem to be brewed with a chili, rather, it's added to the bottle for the finished product which is pretty impressive, especially since it's not "off" and it doesn't exhibit characteristics of a poorly made beer. I'll skip eating the chili though. (2,478 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +32.9%

Poured out crystal clear and is accompanied by a plethora of bubbles and carbonation, the head starts off semi thick(roughly half a finger thick) but quickly dissipates into a thin ring of white bubbles around the outer edge of the beer. It smells like your average light beer, think Budlight, but with a slight hint of pepper. It also smells slightly tart. It’s rather dull, you can pick up the tart taste of a ripe pepper, some mild metallic flavors and not much else. This isn’t a bad tasting beer, just an average chili beer and still refreshing none the less. (568 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -16%

Appearance - Pale to medium yellow. Slightly hazy. Short soapy white head with a very short lifespan.

Smell - Ketchupy pepper?

Taste - Bland pale malt and light jalepeno. The jalepeno doesn't taste quite right. Mild heat. Not good.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Overall - I can enjoy a pepper beer, but I don't enjoy this. (315 characters)

2.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Reviewed from notes

12oz bottle

Made the unwise decision of eating the pepper at the bottom of the bottle. It was utterly disgusting, but on the bright side, the beer itself was alot better than the stale pepper...

A - Pours a yellow dehydrated piss color with a one finger off white head that dissipates almost immediately...

S - The chili pepper is really up front and drowns out everything else. Might pick up a little corn also, but i'm not sure if that's because I know it's in there. Scent isn't very inviting...

T - Pretty much follows the nose with chili and corn. Chili is definitely prominate throughout. Don't pick up any malt or anything else besides chili...

M - Very thin. Light bodied with lighter amount of carbonation...

O - Actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Most likely wont be buying this one again, but I have had alot worse. Eating the chili was definitely a mistake though...

Cheers... (924 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -22.5%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of an M&M 6pack from Binny’s in Plainfield, IL in summer 2012.

Pours a clear, light amber color with a slight head that disappears very quickly. Has that smell of cheap Corona with a slight pepper scent. Tasty is rather watery but the chili pepper does come back with a bite. Doesn’t really taste like a beer, it tastes more like water that some threw some Tabasco into. This seems less like a beer and more like something someone would only drink on a dare. Can totally understand the 0 rating. (541 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +16%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks goes out to micstache for making this one happen for his first shipped trade as an extra because he saw it on my Wants! Thanks brother! Finally glad I get the chance to tick this guy. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller Teku (gotta class it up a little bit am I right?). Poured a golden yellow with a minimal white head with a green pepper floating around. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and a nice burn from the pepper on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty below average brew. However, it was not as terrible as some of the reviews would have you to believe. I was fully expecting to projectile vomit upon taking my first sip of this one based on some things I had read. However, this was not the case. Yes, this isn't the greatest brew of all time or even Chile Beer for that matter, but it wasn't vomit inducing. I would probably drink this one again if I was completely hammered. Would love to try this one FRESH so I can feel the full burn as I have a feeling some of the pepper was lost 24 hours after bottling. Worth trying at least once just to say that you did for sure.

Also on another note, I read a review that warned not to eat the pepper... This made me conduct this act. The pepper had really lost almost all of its flavor and heat to the beer. I was hoping to regret this decision and end up trying to rake it off my tongue with a fork, but this was not the case. Rather the pepper tasted like a rather earthy raw mushroom. Go figure... Too bad. (1,683 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +36.6%

A-like a good diet beer should look.

S-lots of fresh chili's. and a corona

T-I actually liked the chili flavor in this. Gave me heartburn but good.

M-thin like a crappy beer.

O-not as bad as the reviews. Good chili flavor. good for what it should be. (254 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -11.3%

1395th Review on BA
Bottle to Canillon Flute
12oz

Brought as a gift from John Gonzalez from MX.

App- Its the color of an adjunct. That weird looking yellow with a bit of highlighted melted butter to it. Small white head. Actually looked really nice in the glass.

Smell- Chilis, pepper, malt, corn, grain and earth. Wasnt impressed at all. Had just a one sided note behind it.

Taste- This was pretty bad. I had to admit I drain poured it about 6oz in. The chili was horrid in combination with the malts and corn. Lacked depth, complexity and substance.

Mouth- Thicker medium with a thick carbonation. Chili flavors dominated.

Drink- Would be best as a marinade, not a drink. (679 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -21.6%

A: Pours a clear pale golden color. A thin head on the pour disappears about as soon as it hits the glass. Doesn't look promising.

S: Yikes. Lots of pepper, bread and corn. If you soaked a jalapeño corn cake in water for about a week, I'm guessing it would smell something like that.

T: Very watery with a ton of sweet boiled corn flavor. Heat hits about midway an takes over anything else in the way of flavor. Very thin mouthfeel. Really, really not good. (460 characters)

2.19/5  rDev +2.8%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 7/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a short lived thumbs width of foam that leaves no lace, did I mention the green chilli floating in this mofo, looks like a chilli beer alright

S smells like Old Dutch chilli cheese sauce and adjunct lager, I really don't know if this a good or bad smelling beer, it smells like something I want to dip nachos in

T same as above really, this could be the best chilli beer ever made but I'm just not feeling it

M thin and the heat just keeps building, the chilli cheese sauce comes out strong on the finish

O I'm trying to rate this for style but its hard to say its even a average beer regardless, not very drinkable that's for sure but I drank the whole thing just out of morbid curiosity

this is a cooking beer, I can think of dozens of things to do with this brew but drinking it again doesn't even cross my mind (894 characters)

2.45/5  rDev +15%

I wasn't sure how to rate this since it's clearly a novelty product and not for a night of drinking. I bought it on a whim and was really disappointed after I read all of these reviews (before I'd even tasted it).

Yes, it's definitely not drinkable by itself- it tastes a bit like enchilada sauce (?!) and it smells delicious! And by delicious I mean I wish it had been a food item and not a beverage! Luckily, I was able to re-purpose it into greater things.

1. I made a wonderful beer bread using it and added corn, cheddar, and chiles to the bread dough before baking. Tasted delicious!
2. I used it in place of cold water to soak cut potatoes for french fry making- they came out great!
3. I'm planning on adding it to tomato juice to make a "beer mary"

I probably won't buy it again, but I'm glad it didn't go to waste. PS to all those people who said it was the hottest thing they've ever had- it was not hot at all! Had a "bite" upon first sip, but no lingering heat or spicy feeling. Would equate it to Taco Bell's "mild" sauce.

Enjoy it for cooking! (1,062 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -40.4%

Ive seen this heaps of times before and never bought it but when my mate came round he thought it was great and brought a sixer over i think the chilli pepper floating in the bottle novelty must of sold him and pours very similar to a corona a urine looking colour with a fizzy one finger head and no lacing,the smell is basically fresh green chilli which is floating in the bottle and a stale pub but the chilli dominates and to be honest probably saved it from a 1 and the mouthfeel is light bodied but thicker than a corona and on taste the chilli basically dominates from start to finish it really does pack some heat and only allows feint tastes of grains and a herbal grassiness to come through and overall its not a beer i would buy but i have to give credit due to heat of the chilli as most chilli beers ive tried dont really have the heat like this one id just like to see a nice combination of beer and chilli and this isnt it cheers. (945 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +70%

The date on the bottle says 3-09-12 and today's date is 5-20-12. But it still seems fresh to me.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with no head at all. Has a chili pepper in the actual beer. No lacing exists.

Smell - Smells extremely spicy. All you can smell is the chili peppers.

Taste - HOLY SHIT. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank/eaten in my life. Honestly, it tastes pretty good but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could drink this. Unless you have a high tolerance for spicy food.

Mouthfeel - I'm not even taking another sip, sorry.

Overall - I would only suggest drinking this beer as a dare. I took a sip 20 minutes ago and my chest is still burning. (689 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -46%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A chile pepper rests at the bottom of the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. No head formed or lacing.

(S)- A potent aroma of chili pepper and that is about everything. Extremely spicy chili pepper and maybe some vegetable/pickled-like smell at the end.

(T)- Hot Hot & Hot! Ridiculously spicy with a burning finish as you swallow; in fact, this almost burns any tastebuds you might have since it is so spicy.

(M)- A normal carbonation level as far as I can tell. Just a ridiculously spicy burning sensation that isnt going away after only a sip or two.

(D)- Well, two sips and I am sure done. I really really tried to like this, but it provides absolutely no enjoyment flavor-wise, but rather pain and a temporary loss in my ability to taste anything else. (801 characters)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.