Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

This beer pours an average beer color with no head or lace. It's aroma is simply chili pepper, no more, no less. The flavor is chili pepper, over the top hot, and unpalatable. The mouthfeel is thin and hot. Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer is a nasty beer, just heat, no flavor or complexity. Drain pour this one. NOT recommended!!

1.78/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours an apple-juice/piss-colored golden yellow, with no head whatsoever save what emits (strangely) from the stem of the chili for a few minutes...

Smells like chips and salsa, no doubt because it's pretty much corn adjunct (chips) and a chili (salsa). It's not an awful smell of its own, but the fact that it's coming from such a light liquid beer is offputting for sure.

Tastes immediately like tap water...then corn starch, then spicy salsa. The spiciness lingers for a while. Not very pleasant, but not as bad as I expected, honestly.

It feels like nothing...salsa-flavored club soda, maybe.

If anything, I guess the alcohol is well-hidden behind the awkward spiciness of the chili, but I'm definitely not convinced that's a good thing. As a beer it certainly fails, but still, it's not QUITE as bad as I was led to believe...

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

2.5/5  rDev +22%

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

1.25/5  rDev -39%

3.08/5  rDev +50.2%

Got this for my birthday.

Poured into a glass leaving the chili behind in the bottle. Looks kinda watery and no head. Gets a 1.5 for a pretty chili in the bottle.

The smell is on the money though for a chili beer. Corn sweetness and some of the chili coming through.

The taste of this beer is NOT bad. In fact the fact that there is corn in the beer makes it workout well. It tastes exactly like chips and salsa.

Mouthfeel is overly carbonated and the spiciness at the end stays around a little too long.

Overall, this is a "meh" beer. It is not bad though. Very unique.

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into nonic tumbler.
Best Before date of 11-19-11
Gift from mother-in-law

A - The beer fizzled and bubbled like an Alka-Seltzer to produce a white head nearly an inch thick, but the head disappeared almost immediately. I've never seen a head dissipate so thoroughly in any amount of time, much less in a matter of seconds. The color was a very pale opaque straw, save for the three-inch-long chili floating atop. The beer gets bonus points just for the bubbling spectacle and "nugget" of floating matter.

S - The lovely aroma of this fine beverage was like that of a jar of cheap olives years past its intended shelf life. Emanating over the old olive sensation was a sour, spicy pepper smell.

T - Much like the smell indicated, the taste reminded me of sour olive brine with a powerful peppery kick. The first-pass flavor is only mildly spicy, but the lingering effects on the throat weren't much different than the acidic aftermath of a hangover-induced vomiting affair. I am surprised that the flavor isn't so much awful as it is just completely un-beer like. It is somewhat complex with the different flavors present and noticeable.

M - It is tough to get an exact feel for the body of this beer by slowly sipping and sloshing as usual simply because of the unappealing flavor and the burn that sets in quickly. From what can be gathered, the beer is very thin as probably should be expected for a light lager.

O - There is a reason that chili beers are not popular styles.

The burn in my throat still isn't subsiding. Thank goodness for calcium tablets.

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%

First of all why is chili beer even a style. I had this in the fridge for a few week and was afraid to taste it. It was our BOTM club's pick. It looks like a refreshing mexican lager clear light bright yellow, except for the chili pepper.The smell is all chili pepper. The taste is all chili pepper. A nice burn hangs on the lips. I dont know if I will be able to finish the bottle. I can see this be a great beer to add to Mexican food but not just to drink.

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: props for putting a jalapeno in the beer so that has some curb appeal. golden yellow with 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.

smell: chili pepper, lager yeast,

taste: chili pepper, lager yeast, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: this is more of a novelty beer then anything else. But I had to buy when I saw it. I'm a hophead but I also love heat. : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

Not sure I should thank XicanoBeerRun for this, but he’s responsible for it falling into my hands all the same. Technically, I offered to take it off of his hands—my sacrifice for the greater good. Also, I promised him I’d make some borracho beans to share with him with whatever I didn’t drink.

Initially I think we were both of the opinion that this was a joke beer, something you give as a novelty to beer drinkers in southwestern states. But then I saw six-packs of this on-sale at a better beer and liquor store. So someone is out there drinking this. And probably loving it.

Comes in a clear bottle with what looks like a tiny serrano pepper. I poured half of it into a small mason jar. Pours clear and dark golden, with no foam and some tiny bubbles rising along the sides. I get a musty, stale-beer smell on the nose. Probably skunked from the bottle? (Just checked and I’m drinking it two days after the ‘sell by’ date, which could mean any number of things. Did the aromatic hops mellow out? [I’m kidding!]) Some faint chile aromas, more like pickled chiles from a jar. If that’s the desired effect I might as well make my own chili beer with canned jalapeños.

The spice dominates the palate. Honestly, it’s not all that terrible. Pretty one-dimensional, and fades quickly. The vinegar I picked up on the nose doesn’t come across on the taste, thankfully. This comes from Cerveceria Mexicana, makers of Tecate. But the beer itself has more body and malt than their flagship brew. Not a winner by any stretch of the imagination but there’s definitely some potential here—even if it is just for cooking some killer borracho beans!

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t get excited when I found a few bottles of this beer hiding in a corner on the bottom shelf of the singles rack at Bevmo. This beers’ reputation precedes itself, and I feel honored that I have the privilege of tasting its spicy nectar.

From the clear bottle that proudly sports a 3-inch green chili pepper inside its golden liquid I reluctantly poured a few ounces into my Jackie O’s snifter. This same snifter has delivered me such fine beers as Wooden Hell and Veritas 004, but Cave Creek Chili Beer has to be the greatest beer this snifter will ever see by far.

The pour went smoothly enough. It had to be slow and deliberate so as to prevent the chili from escaping its bottled prison. The carbonation reminds me of seltzer water, and before I put the bottle back down on the table the fizzy quarter inch of white head had already disappeared from the pour.

I would describe the smell as something akin to the vomit one would produce after getting drunk off Corona and then eating a ton of spicy Mexican food. This beer definitely smells of green chilies and spicy pepper oil, but it also has this awful undertone of cornflakes and stomach acid. I’m not piling on this beer just to be mean; the smell of it really does make me gag.

The first sip went about as well as I thought it would. I held the liquid in my mouth for a few moments trying to discern some sort of flavor all the while thinking, “you know, this beer really isn’t that hot”…. then someone turned it up to eleven. How is anyone supposed to drink this? I mean I’ve had a few chili beers before. One was good, another was decent, but ALL were drinkable. When I drink this I can’t tell if I’m drinking a beer or biting into a jalapeno. I’m not even going to comment on the mouthfeel as all I can ‘feel’ when I drink this beer is fire. Watery fire.

The only reason this beer must still be in existence is due to its novelty. I can already think of two or three friends who are getting this for their birthdays, not to mention my coworkers. I mean, no one can really enjoy this let alone buy a 6-pack of it. I was going to say that unless super spicy foods are you thing you should stay away from this beer, but I’ve decided that everyone needs to stay away from this beer. Only buy a bottle if you plan to leave it under your bed to use as mace in case of burglary.

1.23/5  rDev -40%

Let me save you time and money. Do not buy this beer. The other reviews on this page are spot on, so I will not go into much detail here. Overall, this beer is disgusting in appearance, smell, taste, and texture. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Brewing a pepper beer that has depth in flavor is more of an art than just dropping a stupid Serrano pepper into a weak beer as Cave Creek did. Needless to say, producing this beer should be considered a crime against humanity.

2.3/5  rDev +12.2%

I have read about this beer so I just had to pick up a single to try for myself.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a 1/2 inch fizzy white head that fades to nothing. No lacing whatsoever. The only smell I am getting on this one is the vinegar used to pack jalapenos after the peppers are removed from the container. I actually like jalapenos and pickling brine used in pickles and jalapenos so this isn't that off-putting by itself. Taste is of a typical Mexican lager (think Corona) with the spicy brine poured in. Again, not so bad because I like these pickled jalapenos. However, there is really no beer flavor that dominates this one. A very spicy burning lingers on the tongue and in the throat after each sip. The carbonation is somewhat high so this is like a spicy jalapeno soda. Overall, this isn't a very good beer. Yes, it's a chile beer and yes the chiles are front and center on this one but these aromas and flavors overpower any other real beer characteristics. Not as bad as I was expecting though.

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

Best by 20JUN12(?!)

Another dentist hook up.

This beer intrigued me from the start. Yellow and lager like, accented with a two inch pepper in there. Poured this tramp to a new Belgium globe. Then I smelled it: jalepenos and that's it. Tastes like the way my semen smells, and watered down pickled jalepeno juice. Not cool.

Well, not that bad, but wouldn't buy it again, had I bought it in the first place.

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

A: Looks a lot like an infected urine sample. Pale yellow with very fizzy head that you'd expect out of a second rate soda(think Moutain Lightning from Wal-Mart) The chili made its way into the beer so I guess that's something.

S: Oh my..smells like a farmer's b-hole during a heatwave. Very vegatably and sharp. I'm already regretting my decision to open this abortion of a beer.

T: Well, what do you know? This doesn't taste very good either. It reminds me of one time as a kid when I put my tongue to a 9-volt battery. I had taken it out of a toy that had been sitting out in the weather for about 5 months. It was all oxidized and had began to leak and shit.

Anyway, when I stuck my tongue to it, it was clear that there'd be tissue damage to my tongue and lips. The chemical burn was intense and very painful..just like drinking Cave Creek. Woof.

M: It burns, stings and inflicts almost immediate heartburn.

O: Gosh, I'm not sure how to sum up this beer other than to say if you spend $8-9 for a six pack of this, it's likely money wasted. I'm normally a very polite and accepting person, but if someone brought this to me and said they liked it..I would shame them.

In fact, if you like this beer, there ought to be a sign in your front yard warning neighbors and visitors that you're a crazy son of a bitch capable of anything.

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Single 330ml bottle, BB June 2012 (with a bloated Serrano pepper lounging about the bottom), recently made available north of the 49th (yay, us!). From Tecate, Mexico - what, Arizona getting too expensive?

This beer pours (the star floaty included) a clear, pale apple juice yellow colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which is dispelled in barely a moment, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of zingy vegetal pepper heat, over a thin pale graininess. The taste is very spicy Serrano pepper, the oiliness and vegetal character both well represented as well. There is a mild underlying malt component, but it is quite obfuscated by the burn. Any of the purported 'hops' from the label are equally nondescript. The carbonation is fairly restrained, the body light, but not thin, and as smooth as a burning mouth in the absence of dairy products can be. It finishes spicy, the innocuous grain trying in vain (maybe) to hold up an overwhelmed sweet counterpoint to this oral assault.

Wow. Just wow. If I typed like I would talk right now, it would be indecipherable. I can't complain about truth in advertising in this case - this is one tangy beer. The resident pepper gave its all, it would seem. So, the problem becomes, as in a number of fruit beer experiences - when does the guest ingredient overpower the essential beerness of a beer? Well, ladies and germs, feast your watering eyes on Exhibit A. So spicy, that the rest of the beer, as good or bad as it might be, can't fuck it up. I am biased, in that I use Serrano peppers a lot in cooking - in fact, I'm making Kung Pao tonight, and may just add this little remnant in my glass to the dish, why the hell not...

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.