Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

Single 330ml bottle, BB June 2012 (with a bloated Serrano pepper lounging about the bottom), recently made available north of the 49th (yay, us!). From Tecate, Mexico - what, Arizona getting too expensive?

This beer pours (the star floaty included) a clear, pale apple juice yellow colour, with one finger of fizzy white head, which is dispelled in barely a moment, leaving nothing in the way of lace. It smells of zingy vegetal pepper heat, over a thin pale graininess. The taste is very spicy Serrano pepper, the oiliness and vegetal character both well represented as well. There is a mild underlying malt component, but it is quite obfuscated by the burn. Any of the purported 'hops' from the label are equally nondescript. The carbonation is fairly restrained, the body light, but not thin, and as smooth as a burning mouth in the absence of dairy products can be. It finishes spicy, the innocuous grain trying in vain (maybe) to hold up an overwhelmed sweet counterpoint to this oral assault.

Wow. Just wow. If I typed like I would talk right now, it would be indecipherable. I can't complain about truth in advertising in this case - this is one tangy beer. The resident pepper gave its all, it would seem. So, the problem becomes, as in a number of fruit beer experiences - when does the guest ingredient overpower the essential beerness of a beer? Well, ladies and germs, feast your watering eyes on Exhibit A. So spicy, that the rest of the beer, as good or bad as it might be, can't fuck it up. I am biased, in that I use Serrano peppers a lot in cooking - in fact, I'm making Kung Pao tonight, and may just add this little remnant in my glass to the dish, why the hell not...

Clear 330ml bottle, brewed in Tecate, Mexico. Has the Cave Creek name on the label, but defo from Mexico.

Anyway, this was the sixth beer in my German and lager based tasting evening last week.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice (why not?), the chili floated about in the chalice: the head didn't appear for me, not even a collar around the rim.

I thought the beer began to grow on me somewhat, at first the chili flavours were too powerful, but as I got used to them the beer became more drinkable. I've had one before, many years ago in a MexTex restaurant in London, but that was well before becoming a BA. Glad I've had another. You can't be unkind on the scoring front, it says it's a chili beer, that's what it is!

3.35/5  rDev +63.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I thought this beer would be a flaming sack of shit, but boy was I wrong. It does flame, but it's not too bad. It looks like yellow pee water and has no head or lacing at all. It smells mostly just like chili peppers but not in a horrific way. Taste was pretty hot and would be really nice at a BBQ or with some nachos. Nice chili flavor. Mouthfeel is ok. Not great. Pretty nice. Definitely a cool interesting change of pace.

2.48/5  rDev +21%

I picked up a bottle of Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple chili beers before and found them to be hit or miss pending on their balance so lets see what I am getting myself into with this beer. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A- The label on this beer beer looks pretty plain but it doesn't look bad, the real attention grabber is the green chili sitting at the bottom of the clear bottle, it looks a little intimidating. It poured a very clear pale straw yellow color with a finger and a half of white head that disappeared in two seconds to nothing, I have never seen a head die this fast.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty much dominated by the chili. I can only pick up a real slight aroma of biscuity and grainy malts. The aroma is pretty much all green chili but there also is an aroma similar to pickled jalapenos, the aroma is all about the chili and nothing else.

T- The taste starts of with a Pilsner like taste with some biscuity malts, but that only lasts for a split second till you are bombarded with chili peppers. The taste goes from fresh green chili pepper to pickled jalapeno to fresh red chili's, pretty much just like a hand full of random hot peppers. The finish had a pretty big warming burn to it, it starts in your throat and goes all the way down to you stomach to provide a steady burn for several minutes, it even makes my lips burn and my forehead sweat. I can already tell I am going to need a hand full of tums after I finish this bad boy.

M- Spicy and light bodied with medium carbonation. The body suits the light lager base of this beer.

Overall I thought beer was pretty mediocre. Balance goes a long way with these beers and is what separates a good chili beer from a bad one. This beer didn't have good balance, I could barely taste the base of this beer, the chili peppers dominated everything and didn't let anything else shine through. This has to be the hottest chili beer I have had with Dragonmeads Ring of Fire being the only beer that comes close hotness wise. Drinkability was very poor, I struggled to drink the second half of this beer, it just didn't stop burning, you would have to be a glutton for punishment to want to drink more then one of these. I do think this would make a great beer to cook with, I can only imagine how good some chili or beer can chicken would be with this beer in it. What I liked most about this beer was the reaction I got from letting my friends take a sip, and what I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance, there was so much chili in this beer that it overpowered everything. I would buy this again if I wanted to pull a prank on someone or for cooking but not for personal consumption. Unless you just love chili peppers you might want to avoid this beer. I just wasn't impressed with beer, it was pretty much a chili bomb and it tore my stomach up, looks like I will be popping tums all night. This beer was exactly what it claimed to be, but it was just too hot and too much for me.

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Cave Creek Chili Beer

Served in pilsner.

A: Pours clear straw with zero head. Some bubbles course through beer.

A: Chili pepper, some pickled jalapeño juice and the lightest touch of biscuity malt. Seriously, though, this smells like a jar of La Preferida Jalapeño Slices, sans vinegar.

T: Kind of a two-punch shot, with a light sweet pilsner jab on tip of tongue that measures up palate for spicy haymaker on tonsils, gullet and roof of mouth. It is a smooth, quick transition. The heat does intensify and warms throat to stomach. It subsides after 15 minutes, but I gotta wonder what tomorrow morning holds.

M: Light body and carbonation so the beer is somewhat watery, which acts as a diabolical vehicle for Chili Beer's heat. Obviously, the heat affects mouthfeel.

O: Not as wretched as I expected. Good beer to have on hand for a game of Truth or Dare. Still, complexity and drinkability rate poorly. All sizzle no substance.

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Smells exactly like a bowl of hot nacho cheese with a slight lager smell in the background. I was surprised at how much it smelled like a chilli.
The taste is even worse, at first it taste like a regular lager and then an overwhelming amount of chilli flavor hits with a spiciness in the back of your throat after you swallow.
I really do not like this beer at all but they do do a good job of making it very jalapeño-y. If you're into novelty items and spicy food then this the beer for you. If you're into good beer, then not so much.

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Has to be the worst beer I've ever had. Probably gunna drain pour the rest. Poured into a shaker pint. Pours a golden clear. No head. No lacing.

Aroma smells like a chili relliano. Like nacho cheese a bit. So much jalapeño aroma it's crazy. Can't smell anything else.

Tasteyou can't taste anything else except the burn in the back of your throat. Maybe a bit of malt and jalapeño. Terrible.

Mouthfeel is dry and supreme high carb.

Overall a terrible beer. All it does is burn your throat. Only bought it because I wanted to try the worst beer on BA. It lived up to it's expectations.

2.65/5  rDev +29.3%

What the heck! I bought a single, I'm pouring it, and out of nowhere a chilli pepper falls into my glass. I didn't see that little guy in there. He totally dominates the flavor. It looks and smells similar to a Corona, but one where someone spiked it with chili extract.

1st... I think its a pretty novel idea. And I'm amazed how strong the chilli flavor shines through.

2nd... It shines through a bit too much. And ouch... my mouth is on fire.

It would be an awesome beer to prank someone with. Could you imagine the poor sap that tried to take this from a beer bong!!!! ha ha ha

2.98/5  rDev +45.4%

Pours light golden with a head that disappeared faster then I could pour the beer. This smells mostly like chili and I couldn't get many more smells out of it. The chili really comes through in the flavor as well and gives this beer a very spicy and unique flavor. I feel that the chili flavor does detract from the other flavors that could be in the beer and just makes this kind of a gimmick. I know that alot of people have bad things to day about this beer, but I think it is kind of a cool idea. The chili is a bit overpowering and that is really my only complaint. I would like to see this done where the chili just enhances the flavors in the beer, and I think that would make for a cool brew.

1.68/5  rDev -18%

Pours a honey gold color with a ridiculously huge and fizzy head. The pepper comes out like a freakish infant out of a demented mother, floats on top of the beer like afterbirth. Unappetizing pour. Smell is spicy and adjunct, low brow aromas to put it mildly. Taste is not a spicy as some wieners on here think; the spice factor is surprisingly mild. I almost wish it were hotter. The actual beer taste is pretty bad; bottom-of-the-barrel mexican adjunct lager. A strong vinegar notes from the floating pepper adds a layer of oily nast to this beer. On the palette it is slick and thin, like infected snot. Gross feeling.

Overall, a total drain-pour. I knew it would be, but when I saw this in the singles cooler, I knew I at least had to try it.

By the way, I did eat the pepper.

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

Very pale orange pour. Head of about 1.5 fingers was white, before rapidly dissipating to nothing with 3 seconds. Literally.

Pepper smell...thats it, heat, pepper, chili.

Taste was the same, liquid chili peppers. Sips were tiny as hopes were not high on this, and its just too hot to take a normal sip. Lips are still burning.

Felt like a decent light lager, so...success?

There's nothing drinkable about this. It's vile.

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

Why not try sometning different?

Poured it into my trusty Sam Adams Perfect glass (threw the chile away)

A - It looks like an average American macro, very pale with minimal head, maybe due to the pepper in the bottle.

S - No smell except of the chile

T - Again, little taste except of the chile, it overpowers anything else that may be there, very spicy pepper taste

M - Thin, but you wouildn't expect a beer of this type to be anything else.

O - It wound probably be a great addition to a pot of chili you're cooking, otherwise, nothing special. Probably wouldn't try again, except on a dare

If you want to try a much better chile beer, try Cerveza ChileBeso by Great Basin Brewery.

2.53/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Obviously this beer hasn't made a good impression among higher end beer aficionados, and I can understand why. However, I must preface my review with this simple reminder: it's a novelty item. What should we really expect?

This beer cannot be compared to any serious beers. It won't compete with APAs or IPAs, porters, Pilsners, or upper grade pale lagers. It's a gimmick! But it's a fun one, and I actually didn't think it was too bad, for what it is.

Many years ago a friend told me about chili beer, but I had never encountered one. Or at least, never had the desire to try it out. First, it looks fun enough. There's a chili pepper in the bottle after all. That was the first indication that I can't take this beer too seriously.

Upon pouring this beer, I became curious, but wasn't immediately put off. It poured very effervescent, and the fizzy froth quickly dissipated as it does with a soda like ginger ale. No head.

The lack of head did not set off any alarms. It seems that the oils, or some component from the chili pepper, interfered with the (certainly already minimal) residual starches in the beer, and prevented any sort of head retention. Maybe the lack of head was intentional. Face it, that pepper has been sitting in there, and would have contributed to a super spicy nose. It was essentially dry-hopped, ...er dry-peppered.

Moving on... The first sip imparted a subtle Corona-ish, or maybe more of a Land Shark Lager-ish, flavor, which was quickly replaced by a steady heat that swelled quick and seemed to build moderately until fading away. No striking aftertaste, and no sort of hops characteristics at all. Not bitter, just a light lager with a burn.

The pepper heat seemed to smooth out a bit as the beer rested in the glass, but maybe that was because my tongue was already conditioned to the onslaught. Being that it is a pale lager reminiscent of those I mentioned earlier, I wonder if it would taste any better with a lime slice in it?

As a novelty beer it was interesting, fun, and not so bad that I'd condemn it. I definitely would not lump it in with more serious beer offerings. It is what it is. Would I buy another? ... maybe.

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

A-golden yellow, pours a white head that quickly fades to nothing at all. lots of bubbles.

S-smells like loaded nachos with nacho cheese and jalapeños. medium scent. fairly gross.

T-wow, this packs a lot of heat. it tastes like a super spicy jalapeño with an after-taste of nacho cheese. this beer has lots of flavor and punch. the spiciness lasts. it simply just isn't how you want a drink to be. the flavors are way too intense.

M-medium carbonation that stings the mouth

O-definitely a chili beer, but its way too over bearing for me to be enjoyable in any respect. i took 2 tastes and down the drain it went. this beer only caters to a very select group of individuals.

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Gold liquid, some sudsy head that dissolves quickly. Lots of carbonation. Some sweet lager odor, but mostly chile pepper. Sweet vegetable flavor, nice little kick from the pepper. Towards the end of the glass (or maybe just as the beer warms) it starts to taste more like a bottle of hot sauce. An interesting experience, but if I ever drink it again it will just be to see how it goes with Mexican food.

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Drank this one right outta the bottle.

A: Pale yellow, looks like Corona with a greenish pepper in it.

S: Smells like cayenne pepper oil, no trace of beer.

T: Sweetish, sugary adjunct lager on the front. Goes down smooth enough but the finish- is like getting blasted with pepper spray in your throat. Yikes. And I like hot stuff.

D: NO.

Value: GOD NO.

This a good beer to give a drunk guy who is getting on everyone's nerves. Want him to slow down? Here buddy have one of these!

1.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a snifter, why not

For ticking purposes I required AZ and a chile beer...so here we are.

This was thankfully split amongst a few friends, one of whom bellied up and ate the pepper. This pours a pale golden color with no head what-so-ever. That could be due to the fact that it was over 2 months past its expiration date too. The aroma is spicy. The problems that I have with smelling the pepper oil is all the flooding memories of Chelada came back and I got scared. Overall it really just smells like cerrano pepper oil. There may be some corn syrup in the background, but for the most part it's not really there. I really could if wanted to drink this, but after about 4 sips, I truly decided against continuing to consume this beverage. This is the first time I ever said capsicum tingle for mouthfeel, so that's a bonus. Overall, I'm truly not a fan of this beer. It was really not drinkable for more than a few sips and was truly just a mere novelty.

"We want chili willies".- Barney (The Simpsons)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer, I've been looking for this one for a while, bottle from Wine World in Jersey. Hiss with a pry, OCCCCB pours out a uninspired pale yellow with fizz but not enough for a sparse cap, looks dead after 30 seconds. Smell is all peppers, chili, mexico, watered down Corona, it is what it is. On first sips im greeted by some spice, with pepper and some watered down mexican beer. Two seconds later, my mouth is spiced out of proportion with clashing chili/pepper, what have you. GROSS!! I could taste this for about a half hour afterwards. It almost wrecked my palate, mind you. Feel is fizzy thin with carb but for what. The beer is carbed I'll give it that, but the aftertaste of shame is huge. Im glad to give this a whirl. The US should use this beer as a interogation tactic for terrorists. That is all.

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

Jeez, who came up with this? This is barely drinkable at all. The pepper contaminates the beer all together and makes it like drinking fresh squeezed pepper juice. This almost has to be a joke. It's one thing to put fruit in beer but to put something like a pepper in it is just crazy. People drink beer to kill the burn of spicy foods not add to it. The aroma and taste of this is just chili pepper. Nothing else.

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

From notes, 3-7-2011

Best before July 21, 2010.

A - the most pointless color. stupid bubbles disappear immediately. looks like someone was partially dehydrated and took a leak into my glass.

S - spicy dirt. sweet malts. Jalapeño jellie bellies. Not looking forward to drinking.

T - Ow! dirt and a crap ton of heat. I'm so mad.

M - Mouthfeel? I can't feel my mouth.

D - I had one small sip and it was too much. I hate drinking it and I don't want. After several small sips, already getting heartburn. I hate drinking this beer.

It's become my life's mission to find the person who made this and kill them and their entire family.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

The aroma was, I do not even know where to start with this one. It was a dull macro lager with hot sauce dumped in it, that was about it. Then I took a taste, holy sheep. This was just awful. So insanely hot that you cannot even get past the first sip. I have had others like Ring of Fire, that I really actually enjoyed, but this was just too much. Nothing redeeming here at all. It took me damn near an hour to get back my sense of taste, and it was still not the same. A very thin feel, well what you could tell before your mouth got torn apart again, good grief, this thing was rough,

This was one of the worst, if not the worst beer I have ever had. Nothing here redeeming, even in a style that most may not like, this was at the bottom. Never again.

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

A=Pours a very clear yellow color, with a 2 finger head that very quickly disappears, with an unfortunate looking chili pepper floating in it.
S=Smells like the inside of a jar of canned peppers. No other aroma to speak of.
T=I'm nervous after the smell! Tastes like hot chili, spice, and...pepper? Not trying to be a jerk but this really does taste awful.
M=only thing even remotely decent, the spice is somewhat pleasant. Very thin in the body.
D=If I could give it a zero, I would. Instant drain pour, I only got a few sips into it.

I tried this for the novelty, hoping that maybe, just maybe I would kind of like it because I love spicy food. Very unfortunate beer overall

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

A - A clear golden lager, no haze, nice clean look with a chili. This is cool looking with a pepper in the bottle and a pepper in the beer.

N - A nice pepper aroma

T - Tastes like an adjunct lager with some pepper and heat flavors. The heat is deceiving and waits on the back of the palate before exploding in the mouth and throat. The also seems to be getting more intense as I reach the bottom of the glass.

M - A smooth beer, lots of heat waiting in the finish.

D- I will only drink one of these in my life; maybe two if I have to.

Note: I rated this a chili beer. I also ate a banana to make my morning trip to the bathroom more pleasant(use google BM me to find out why)

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I picked this brew up more for the novelity aspect of the brew, more then anything else. It was something different. When it comes to beer tasting and reviewing, I am not going to turn something away. So I gave it a try.

The pour on this brew was nothing special. It poured with a light yellow color. It had very thin, big bubbled head that faded quicker then I poured the brew. I think the large Serano pepper in the bottom of the bottle give this brew a very tough look.

In the aroma, you don't smell anything much in the way of hops or malts. It really had not complexity at all. The aroma was purely that of a Serano chili, which made me want to try it even more. The chili aroma actually smelled pretty good.

This flavor was spicy. As soon as you take the first sip the heat hits you all at once. It started low in the gut, then it moves towards the tongue and lips. The taste was nothing grand by any means, but it was something different that I have never had.

Mouthful on this brew, there was nothing really there. It goes down like any of the macro brews would. It doesn't have any texture or amazing finishes. It just has a strong, heat flavor after you swallow each sip.

This brew is not very good drink at all. Its super thin, and doesn't have much body. I am having a hard time finishing this brew, the heat is not over bearing, but its just something hard to get down. I could only do one in a setting. I am glad I tried it, but I would never seek out this brew again.

2.85/5  rDev +39%

This is a novelty beer and should be reviewed as such.

A - No head at all. It is a very light yellow and crystal clear.

S - Not much in the way of malt or hops. All I can smell is Serano chili. Smells quite inviting.

T - I like spicy foods and this one is hot! The heat gets turned on as soon as you swallow. Starts in the back of your mouth and moves towards your lips. Lingers for a good minute after you swallow. Intense!

M - Again, not a whole lot going on here. Goes down like any light macro should, but with a firery surprise at the end.

D - I really would have a hard time finishing more than 1 in a sitting. I have been sipping this one for the last 20 minutes and I am only half way there.

Overall for what it is, it ain't too bad. Nothing that I'd go and buy a 6 pack of, but a beer that could be enjoyed along side a Mexican dish.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.