Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
SAxDRC5

by far the worst beer I have ever had.

A: piss yellow with a foamy head that doesn't stick around.

S: smells horrible. like tabasco sauce and vinegar and skunk.

T: horrible. starts fairly sweet, finishes a bit spicy. reminds me of frosted flakes, in goat piss, with tabasco sauce on them.

M: bubbly and light. leaves a pepper burn in the back of your throat.

D: the smell makes me think I'll throw up. The tastes confirms that thought. I always finish my beer because there are sober kids in India, that is until this one. on the bright side it might work as well as draino.

01-06-2011 01:02:19 | More by SAxDRC5
treyrab

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Warning. Do not try this at home <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

This beer tastes like ass. I would rather eat pepper marinated horse manure. If you must drink this beer, make sure you have a bucket at your side because you will immediately puke.

This was the only beer I have ever been afraid to drink after smelling it. It smelled like pepper spray. It tasted like pepper spray and Natrual Light. So, if you get off by horrifying beverages, this is for you. If you don't, don't drink this beer.

That being said, I am still glad I got to tick this. I wouldn't have it any other way.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Warning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

01-03-2011 12:48:05 | More by treyrab
roddwolff

Mexico

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Beer with a serrano chile, poured in a pilsener-bayern glass, left the chile in the bottle. Look: Yellow urine, no head and shitload of bubbles. Smell: serrano chile and vinegar, not offensive but somewhat rare. Taste: Lots of serrano chile, pepper and tabasco sauce, probably vinegar and light notes of pale malt. Mouthfeel: Spicy which then becomes acidic, leaves the throat burning, light body and the carbonation is confused with the itch. Drinkability: thought the chile was trime but bites a lot.

12-28-2010 03:29:49 | More by roddwolff
Sachsenfreude

Germany

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

appearance; yellow with a white, fizzy, quickly dissipating head.

smell; mostly the chili pepper and some weak malts.

taste; cheap lager sweetness upfront. Some mexican flavors in the middle. The finish leaves the throat hot, with a capsaicin burn. Not at all overwhelming and the heat does not hang around for too long. Corona and banana pepper juice, best describes the overall flavor. Considering the style, I would say this was not too bad. Would definitely drink this one again if it was free or very cheap.

mouthfeel; light and watery, nothing more to it, goes down smooth before the heat starts to come through.

drinkability; a pretty easy drink but not something to indulge in.

12-27-2010 05:08:06 | More by Sachsenfreude
TheSupremeAJ

1.55/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Looks like piss with no head. Cool bottle.

S- Smells like a jar of hot peppers.

T- Taste like corona mixed with the juice out of a jar of chili peppers.

M- Average to low carb. No real mouthfeel.

D- I poured most of it. To be fair, I could not detect alcohol.

Paired with Pepperoni pizza. Maybe I should have tried a taco...

12-21-2010 02:09:56 | More by TheSupremeAJ
afinepilsner

Iowa

2.17/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz clear bottle

Original Cave Creek Chili Beer was bright gold in color with good clarity. It had a large white head that almost instantly disappeared with no lace. The smell was all chili pepper. The taste was also all chili pepper with a dry throat burning finish. It was light bodied with fairly light carbonation. Drinkability was terrible as I dumped at least half of it. This is not a beer that I will try again and I would not recommend to anyone but a pepper-head; and then still probably not.

12-13-2010 01:20:06 | More by afinepilsner
secondtooth

Indiana

1.55/5  rDev -24.4%

This creative beer (there is an actual whole green chili pepper inside every bottle) opens with a sickly pallid complexion and a nonexistent head. The only scent I get is, not surprisingly, jalapeno. The taste is, well, like hot sauce. The pepper far overpowers the ultra-light lager beer it's suspended in. I have to admit, it's a nice novelty for the beer fan who THINKS he/she's had it all, but this one is just not appetizing at all. I'm not one to ever waste a beer, but this one's a pourer.

11-15-2010 00:43:17 | More by secondtooth
ktrillionaire

2.05/5  rDev 0%

Before I can even drink it, gasps, moans, pained expressions and indignant countenance pervades the sampling group. I think it is not so bad. I wouldn't drink more than a few ounces, though.

A - Golden and ultra-clear. No head.

S - It smells like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

T - It tastes like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

M - Certainly the spiciest beer I've had. It is not terribly spicy, but it is way over the line for a beer. It is about as hot as the spiciest Bloody Mary you would ever get.

D - Can I give it a zero? It doesn't taste horrible, but it is not any more drinkable than most hot sauces, and indeed less drinkable than some.

10-29-2010 01:54:03 | More by ktrillionaire
LairdChisholm

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A - Pours a somewhat hazy golden color. There was a very slight head that fizzles up and dissipates almost immediately. There is obviously no lacing. There are a few streams of slight carbonation. Oh, and of course there is a pepper in my glass.

S - The is a slight aroma of jalapeno. That's pretty much it.

T - It just taste like an adjunct lager with with pepper. There is no complexity and the after taste is slight jalapeno. I feel like a better version of this beer could be good if done right, but not this one.

M - Too much carbonation and the the jalapeno provides some spicy burn on my lips. This lingers for way too long.

D - A sink poorer for sure. This almost upsets my stomach. Steer clear of this one lads.

10-11-2010 01:52:33 | More by LairdChisholm
bundy462

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

A: Fizzy yellow beer with zero head. Crummy wilted looking pepper floating around in it much like a turd in piss.

S: Like shitty light beer with it's veggie and corn smell that has a pickled pepper thrown in it.

T: Like shitty light beer with a pickled pepper thrown in it, just like the smell. Total shit.

M: Thin like a light.

O: Zero, this thing sucks. Only the second beer I've ever dumped.

09-07-2010 18:13:18 | More by bundy462
vandemonian

Maryland

1.9/5  rDev -7.3%

This beer is exactly what is claims to be: a chili beer. When you open the bottle you immediately notice the smell of fresh chillies and a hint of yeast. Once poured, the head only lasts for around 5 seconds and then it just looks like ginger ale. This beer tastes like fresh chili peppers and you even get a mild amount of hotness! The brewer succeeded in making a beer that tastes exactly like fresh chilies, but I'm not sure whether that is a good thing.

09-03-2010 00:44:56 | More by vandemonian
rhoadsrage

1.45/5  rDev -29.3%

(Served in an American Pint Glass)
best before 011211
  A-  This beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a white bubbly head that is gone before I can set the bottle down.  The chili stays in the bottle.  There is a big carbonation of large bubbles that race to the surface.
  S-  The big green herbal chili aroma has a slight earthy pablano quality but I don't detect any other aromas.
  T-  Wow.  The first sip is pure burn from the tongue to the throat and back up the nostrils.  The burn lingers in the throat for the full glass.  There is a faint green chili taste that fights its way through the head about 1/2 way through the beer.
  M-  This beer has a light watery mouthfeel with a big fizz that enhances the burn.
  D-  All Burn, all the time.  There are really no other flavors except for a slight green chili note.  This is liquid carbonated fire.  I like spice and heat but not when it is the only thing you taste.   I didn't even get any corn or grain or malt notes.

09-01-2010 02:21:45 | More by rhoadsrage
Khazadum

1.93/5  rDev -5.9%

In my great Saturday pursuit of beers for a trade I stumbled upon this 'golden' opportunity. A beer with an actual chili in every bottle. Why the hell not... Twelve ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter. Hopefully this won't taint my favorite glass...

Appearance
Classic pour generated a quarter finger of apple juice bubbles. They are clear bubbles, no real color to them that dissipated in seconds. Literally gone in less time than it took to contemplate them.

The body of this beverage reminds me of generic lagers. Goldenrod hues and lemon juice mingle to generate its color palate. Lots of carbonation. There are cascades of bubbles all over the place here.

Bouquet
Well, the nose has the chili pepper in it by far. I'm reminded of gumbo... chili powder obviously.. and behind it the faint malty character. Its not bread, but its definitely got similar molecules. Its not great, but its interesting.

Flavor Profile
There is no chili pepper flavor. The malt profile overwhelms what could have been something altogether unique. That is a funny sentence altogether because the malt is so thin its unbelievable. I swear they took an American adjunct lager and threw a pepper into it because otherwise no one would want it. I want to find more to this beer, but its got a singular nature.

Oral Sensations
Oh, its awful. It has a spicy burn that doesn't register on my tongue unless I force it, but on the back of my throat. Its not even pleasurable level of spiciness. This is just masochistic in nature. I love eating jalapenos, but this isn't even the joy of flavor or celebration of the pepper. Its capsaicin jumping at my esophagus. The carbonation prickles incessantly, and as soon as that bubbles to a quiet nature the burn of the pepper creeps up mimicking carbon dioxide. As soon as you swallow it, it punches up like lighter fluid on a campfire.

Conclusions
Never again. No way, no how. Its not blended or mingled well. There are two natures and they do not belong together. Its an afterthought, a gimmick. Sure, I can drink it without getting blasted with alcohol poisoning, but I forced myself to even finish half of this twelve ounce bottle.

08-23-2010 00:55:37 | More by Khazadum
CampusCrew

2.23/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: golden-yellow-hued body, rapid rising bubbles. lager like, not head.

Smell: ripe green peppers is definitly noticable.

Taste: like someone put some pepers in my bug light. spicy up front and a lot on the backend. Huge pepper flavor. suprised how prevalent it is.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, highly carbonated

Drinkability: blah, I probably won;t finish this beer. working on it now.

08-04-2010 20:18:13 | More by CampusCrew
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

1.53/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Drank it from the bottle, looked pretty plain. Although I did like the floating chili pepper.
S: Smelled like cheap beer overcome with a strong somewhat unpleasant chili flavor.
T: Terrible overwhelming piquant chili flavor. At first taste, you may think, "I could like this." The spicy taste rests on your tongue. Your mind changes after the second and third swig. You start to feel sick and dump the rest down the drain...
M: I can't distinguish much because of spiciness. It was light bodied, not much to say.
D: Undrinkable.

I tried a chili beer at the DAM brewery in Dillon Colorado over the summer so I know that the style can be much better. This was horrible.

07-15-2010 03:29:09 | More by EwaldEichstaett
Phelps

Arizona

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Looks: like pee. Pale yellow, perfectly clear, with a white head that evaporates as quickly as soda fizz. A whole jalapeno sits menacingly at the bottom of the glass, then rises to the surface as if alive, spewing white bubbles from it open end like smoke from an underwater volcano.

Smells: like foreboding. Jalapeno juice, sour grain and not much else. Sweet lord. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Tastes: like jalapeno Doritos gone horribly, horribly wrong. This is beer? A spicy heat coats the mouth and throat immediately, and LINGERS. It's an inescapable, gross heat, akin to taking a shot of the juice leftover in a jar of jalapenos.

Feels: like burning. The overriding and assaulting spiciness is complemented (joined in discord?) with medium carbonation and a light, watery mouthfeel. Ugh.

Drinks: I wouldn't know. I allowed just two sips: the first to judge taste and a valiant second to get the mouthfeel. The rest ended up in my drain, hopefully finding some use as a pipe cleaner.

07-06-2010 23:06:02 | More by Phelps
bala747

Singapore

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

Now as a man of Indian ethnicity, I love spicy food, but I do require that the food/drink taste of something else beside 'hot', because 'hot' is not even a taste, but simply the pain receptors on your tongue firing.

Why is this relevant? Because of this beer.

There is a bar in Singapore called Brauhaus, which serves beers from all over the world, Belgium, Germany, Great Britain, Mongolia, Zambia and even Palestine! The beer selection is simply staggering, from the spectacular Westmalles and Weihenstephans to the simply bizarre, like this one.

I decided to try this beer after a few visits to this place simply to see what was so special about a 'chilli' beer.

A: The bottle was a clear bottle with a piss-yellow beer inside topped off with a dull-olive-grey chilli floating on top. A small layer of oil on top of the ensemble made it look like a cherry from a drink served in hell. I poured it out onto an Asahi Pilsener glass, wisely (as I later realised) leaving the chilli in the bottle. It poured a piss yellow colour with a head that dissipated quickly.

S: Ugh! It smelt strongly of preserved chilli and pretty much nothing else. My nose gave up trying to detect anything else. Perhaps a hint of 'chilli oil' (there is such a thing, look it up).

T: Strangely enough this was the best aspect of this beer. It initially tasted of nothing else but chilli, and actually the cold beer did excite the tastebuds after being burnt by the chilli. It was a strangely pleasant experience at first, but as the beer warmed up (I don't chug beers, especially one as vile as this one) it was just carbonated oily chilli water.

M: Burnt taste buds, nose leaking like a faucet, and mouth feeling like someone just passed wind in it, but apart from that, Excellent.

D: On a very hot day, with a freezer that chills this beer to zero degrees celsius and if it remains at that temperature, this beer is not too bad on the senses.

Overall: Their website claims that 'lime is for wimps', an obvious diss on Corona which is brewed just south of the border and obviously in more demand than this foul brew. Corona with lime tastes foul enough but with a chilli in it, it went from bad to 'so bad it's good'. I decided I did not have enough punishment and ordered ANOTHER one, just to completely incinerate my innards. I have never gone near that beer since.

06-26-2010 06:37:41 | More by bala747
mtnbikerpa

3.55/5  rDev +73.2%

Drank out of the bottle with best before date of 11/24/10 on the bottle. Golden yellow hue to the brew. I drank this cold, with the serano pepper in the bottom of the bottle. No real scent, but the spice of the pepper takes over the flavor of the beer. The warming nature of the pepper taste warms both throat and belly. It is interesting but certainly not really refreshing.

06-25-2010 21:29:41 | More by mtnbikerpa
organicbrewer

Poured into a tulip garnished by the hot pepper. Best by date 11/09/10

A-Brilliantly clear yellowish gold. Low white head.

S- pepper. light corn but mostly hot pepper. No hops. wet cardboard

T- Heat hits first and hard. Some cardboard. Very low hop bitterness, no hop flavor. Nice pepper flavor. Corny

M-burning. I guess this is a chili beer, but no balance what so ever. a mole porter would be nice but a light lager has nothing to stand up to the heat.
D- none. Doesn't taste good and is too hot, and I like hot food. I'm dumping this

05-12-2010 03:04:13 | More by organicbrewer
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

Had to pick this one up after I saw the awesome reviews on here. Poured into a tulip glass. Cave Creek Chili has a clear, pale, golden yellow body with no head. Pretty basic.

On the nose there is a good amount of green pepper, chili, corn and some grainy notes. Mostly pepper. Not too bad, but not a great aroma for beer.

Tipping back the glass reveals sweet, light malts and then a sudden rush of burning pepper. The strong pepper burn is mostly in the throat, but you can't really taste anything else at this point. Watery, burning, vegetable.

The mouthfeel is light, burning pepper, not overly pleasant.

Drinkability is pretty much horrible. This is not what I want when I want a beer. If I want to light my throat on fire and not be able to taste anything else, then maybe this would be enjoyable. Splitting the bottle 5 ways only put a dent in 6oz of the total 12oz, with most of it being a drain pour.

Overall, this was an awesomely bad beer. If someone really loved peppers and needed them in a liquid beer format, than this would probably be right up their alley. Otherwise this beer is good for a few laughs and that's about all. Worth picking up for a party or to share with friends/enemies.

05-11-2010 02:45:35 | More by sisuspeed
MisterClean

2.48/5  rDev +21%

April fools joke, thanks loki.

A - Pours golden with 1 finger of white head. Dissipates moderately and leaves nice lacing. Serrano chile is in the bottom of the glass.

S/T - Serrano chiles, adjunct - possibly corn, and high amounts of acidity, which may be vinegar.

M - Light bodied, chile, er I mean malt dominated.

D - After 3 sips, the novelty wore off. Chile is just over-powering.

04-04-2010 22:19:35 | More by MisterClean
TMoney2591

2.03/5  rDev -1%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Pours a clear pale straw with very little head (and that practically disappears instantly). The smell is akin to a whiff of a jalapeno-laden salad, the peppers taking the van whilst plenty of greens march from behind. The taste begins with a vague, pale wheatiness, with no real character...kinda like an MGD. This is followed by a fairly strong pepper burn that o'ertakes any other flavors and then, after malingering for a bit, takes off to parts unknown, leaving nothing but scorched earth in its wake. The body is surprisingly kinda medium (a bit hefty, if you ask me), with moderate carbonation and a Death Valley-style finish. This, plus the off-puttingly unbalanced heat, bog the drinkability down somewhere in the desert.

03-21-2010 20:59:36 | More by TMoney2591
ppoitras

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from kiltedtxn. Jalapeno at bottom of bottle. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/2" white head that was gone faster than I have ever seen a head disappear. Brew is light yellow in hue, totally clear, and there is no lacing to speak of. Aroma is lightly of generic beer, with off vegetal dominant.

Taste follows the aroma, balanced but generic, until the pepper burn comes on at the end. Actually, don't find the pepper as repulsive as most. Mouthfeel is thin, aftertaste is moderate burn, and drinkability is not good. I won't look for again, but I'll finish this one as a rite of passage.

03-17-2010 21:17:40 | More by ppoitras
EliteEvil

United Kingdom (England)

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

A: I thought the pepper floating in the bottle was the best thing about this beer. It was at the bottom when unopened, it floated the second I removed the cap (I assume it acted as a center for nucleation points and became really gassy). Poured with next to no head (although I do this deliberately) and leaves no lacing.

I picked the chili out my glass and put it back in the bottle, but gave it a lick. Tasted horrible.

S: All the worst things about jalepenos - oily, salty, even gritty if such a sensation is possible in a smell. I don't find the heat too unpleasant, isn't a big problem to me.

T: Horrid. I can't discern any hops at all, not much malt flavour but I think there is a back taste of cheap adjuncts although none are explicitly mentioned on the bottle. Tastes the same as it smells, but the heat that was underwhelming to the nose builds up at the back of the throat and soon becomes boring.

M: Tingly as associated with chili peppers. Nothing else. Not smooth, refreshing, thick or any other traits anyone could possibly consider good in beer.

D: Not drinkable. Am considering snakebiting it with my half-fermented turbo cider for the lulz.

I gave the glass to my housemate who also thought it was abhorrent.

03-11-2010 20:55:33 | More by EliteEvil
sophisticated

2.38/5  rDev +16.1%

I was pumped to try this notorious beverage! JosephLondon was kind enough to indulge my curiosity on this one. I was excited, but kind of scared. I thought it would be hella nasty, stomach turning, vileness. It actually was kind of good in a bad way.

I like spiciness. This is some spicy beer. My experience with chile beer has been limited to Theobroma and Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Cave Creek is, shall we say, less complex than both of these.

It looks like an average adjunct lager. Clear yellow, no head, low carbonation...With a sketchy looking chile pepper floating in the bottle (and then my glass). This is the worst part of the beer. Seeing that pepper bob up and down, floating dangerously close to my mouth...Bleh.

Smells: bell peppers, chile peppers, hot sauce.

Tastes: like the same. The pepper and spice totally overpowers the "beer" characteristics. It's like chile pepper juice.

MF: surprisingly thick for the appearance and flat.

D: Do you like spice? And not much else? If so, this is really not that bad. No it's not complex. No, you probably wouldn't serve this at a fancy lobster dinner with the pope. But for a novelty item, it's kind of good and even a little refreshing. I wish I had some tacos or nachos or something to eat with it. I'm glad I got to try it.

03-04-2010 04:47:02 | More by sophisticated
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.