Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

3.62/5  rDev +68.4%

The date on the bottle says 3-09-12 and today's date is 5-20-12. But it still seems fresh to me.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with no head at all. Has a chili pepper in the actual beer. No lacing exists.

Smell - Smells extremely spicy. All you can smell is the chili peppers.

Taste - HOLY SHIT. This is the hottest thing I've ever drank/eaten in my life. Honestly, it tastes pretty good but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could drink this. Unless you have a high tolerance for spicy food.

Mouthfeel - I'm not even taking another sip, sorry.

Overall - I would only suggest drinking this beer as a dare. I took a sip 20 minutes ago and my chest is still burning. (689 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -46.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A chile pepper rests at the bottom of the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. No head formed or lacing.

(S)- A potent aroma of chili pepper and that is about everything. Extremely spicy chili pepper and maybe some vegetable/pickled-like smell at the end.

(T)- Hot Hot & Hot! Ridiculously spicy with a burning finish as you swallow; in fact, this almost burns any tastebuds you might have since it is so spicy.

(M)- A normal carbonation level as far as I can tell. Just a ridiculously spicy burning sensation that isnt going away after only a sip or two.

(D)- Well, two sips and I am sure done. I really really tried to like this, but it provides absolutely no enjoyment flavor-wise, but rather pain and a temporary loss in my ability to taste anything else. (801 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is spicy hot. Taste is heat, heat, and more heat. Watery hot sauce with no other flavors able to penetrate the heat. Feels hot in the mouth and half of this beer went down the drain. (270 characters)

There's an actual chili in there! Nice! Best by 01/12/13. Poured into an equally goofy Family Guy pint.

Pours like a macro lager: pale and clear with some bubbles that leave FAST. Aroma is dominated by the chili and this one will be hot it seems.

Tastes like a macro: no hops at all and a burp here and there that's full of yuck. And then there's the heat. I was expecting the chili to be total gimmick and it could very well be but this beer (?) overall does deliver some heat. I can feel my lips sting and it feels good. And a good chili flavor too, so that's bonus. I am weird.

Carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is watery but whatever. I am not entirely disappointed and somewhat amused. Glad I tried it. Seemed a little costly at 11+ bucks for a 6 pack, and even costlier as a single but there certainly could be situations where I wouldn't say no to it.

PS: In a parallel universe they're using chili instead of hops for beer and this one is coveted.

PPS: Sometimes I wish, and more so lately, that awarding points was not necessary.

3, 3, 3, 3, 3 (1,061 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +121.9%

To begin this review, I must mention that I joined beer advocate as a member specifically to rate Cave Creek Chili Beer. This is my very first post/review on this site.

I have known about and read various beer reviews on this site for years. But after reading some of the negative reviews about Cave Creek Chili Beer I decided I must begin my membership’s debut review by defending this beer.

The general negativity among reviews about this beer bothers me. This is one of my all time favorite beers but I also realize that this beer is not for everybody.

For those not familiar with this beer, it comes in a bottle with a chili pepper at the bottom. Unless you're a total wimp, the chili pepper doesn’t generate the intense and overwhelming heat that some posters on this site may lead you to believe. It adds moderate heat and a good flavor and to me is very enjoyable, however I do not recommend eating the pepper because its taste has evaporated into the beer. The beer itself is light colored and pleasant tasting, without a lot of bitterness and with excellent drinkability. The pepper enhances the flavor, not overwhelms it. Instead of drinking a six pack of it at one sitting, this is a good beer to drink one or two of and follow it up with non-chili beer.

If you like this type of beer, you can also experiment with other beers and turn them into chili beers. Whatever brands you like will work, just make sure you buy bottles with twist-off caps. Buy a six pack of your favorite brew, a jar of chili peppers, a jar of hot red peppers, and some chili powder spice. Open the six beers and add one chili pepper, a small slice of red hot pepper, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of chili powder. Be sure to slit the chili pepper so it will release the juice inside. Finally, fill up the bottles by pouring a bit of juice from one of the pepper jars into them. Turn the bottles upside down a time or two to begin the mixing process. Place these in the frig for a few days then enjoy. You can experiment with the types and amounts of pepper to suit your taste.

Hopefully I haven’t grossed any beer drinkers out who don’t like chili beers! But don’t assume you don’t like them until you try them. Unfortunately Cave Creek Chili Beer is sometimes hard to find, but if you run across a store that sells it at least shell out 8-10 bucks once to try it so you can say you have. (2,400 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -34%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been raped, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony. (1,973 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5 (1,458 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +36.3%

330mL bottle into tulip. best before 01-12-13.

A: crystal clear golden body with a fizzy white head. head diminishes quickly to nothing. no lacing. and theres something floating in there as well. it looks like a green turd with a stem. further investigation to follow.

S: pickle juice. chili pepper. you can almost smell the heat from the pepper.

T: starts subtle/boring until the heat of the pepper really overtakes the palate, doesnt let any other hop/malt flavors come across. not that i believe there is much there. this brew is all about the chili. as this sips continue, similar to many things spicy, the heat becomes much more manageable.

M: the heat of the pepper gives some kind of fizz on an otherwise average/below average carb on a light body.

D: take it for what it is. slightly gimmicky, but delivers the heat of the chili pepper in the form of a beer. i have never had a chili beer quite like this one. i dont think this is a despicable beer, just not for everyone. now do i dare eat the pepper....? (1,021 characters)

1.39/5  rDev -35.3%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review. (527 characters)

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño. (1,618 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +69.3%

Pours a terrible fizzy nearly clear straw yellow. The head is gone as soon as it makes contact with the glass. Smell is standard lager corn with a twist of lime. Yikes! This beer is HOT! Actually tastes close to what I expected. Somewhat sweet cereal malts with a huge pickled jalapeno backing it. I am not going to lie. I love the taste! If you can't handle spicy food then the drinkability will suffer for you. But I happen to love spicy. Aside from the terrible body and lack of smell this beer excels and what it set out to do. I expected to hate it. Turns out I was wrong. (577 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -41.9%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's beer garden, Media, PA

Poured warily into a pint glass (dammit...plop goes the pepper). Pale ginger ale color, clear with a slight chill haze, riddled with bubbly soda-like carbonation at first, but no head whatsoever. Aroma of distant grains, creamed corn, a little bit of scent from the pepper. Tasted entirely bland, watered down grain juice, with a little bit of heat from the pepper on the palate, not very hot, and not much taste from it at all. Light body, super watery, and just really awful, as expected. Worth a try as a novelty item, I suppose. (591 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 330 mL. capped, bottle (Best Before 04/29/12) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off white, super fizzy head that quickly fades to literally nothing in seconds. The body is a pale golden straw with traces of urine yellow and a strong amount of energetic carbonation bubbles. No lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Cheap, grainy malts and Mexican cuisine fill the air as the beer is poured. Notes of enchiladas, soft tacos, sombreros, pinatas, and unsafe plastic surgery are all detectable in the nose. All joking aside, this beer really does smell like an enchilada. Getting too close to this beer for a whiff can actually lead to a slight irritation of the eyes.

Sweet, grainy malts start each sip with notes of wet hay, toffee, and light caramel. As the beer is held in the mouth a little burning occurs under the tongue. As the beer is swallowed the grainy malt flavors (corn perhaps) come out a bit more and are soon met by the flavor of the chili pepper. This is all quickly washed away, however, by a strong pepper spiciness that covers the entire tongue. This burning lasts, and strengthens, until the next sip.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer's drinkability is hindered only by its spiciness. The body is easy-drinking enough and is reminiscent of a Mexican Lager (Corona, Dos Equis, etc.) The carbonation is only slightly fizzy and does very little to help this beer while held in the mouth. Oddly enough, it does get rather fizzy during the swallow.

If you love spicy and don't care about a beer's flavor, this may just be the perfect beer for you. If you hate spicy, leave this beer alone. If you like beer with decent flavor, leave this beer alone. (1,724 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.1%

This really smells like pickled peppers. Vinegar. At first it smelled spicy but it just settles down into a vinegar type of aroma backed with a very thin macro lager aroma. That isn't what I wanted to smell in a beer.

Certain things have to be tasted to be believed. This is one. Not saying you really WANT to try this, but you just can't believe the taste until you try it. You know, at first it isn't that bad as far as heat is concerned. Yes, it's gross...it tastes like pickled peppers...but it isn't abusive. And then, it happens...it turns hot. Really quite hot. I'm getting heartburn nearly immediately. This is just awful. Terrible. Probably the worst beer I've ever had. Nothing redeemable. I get nothing else out of the taste here....just heat. I may as well drink the juice out of a jalapeno jar.

Do I need to really say much more? (845 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty. (692 characters)

Personally, I'll try any beer once. And I've wanted to try this one for some time now to see how bad it really is. Poured from the 12 ounce twist-off clear bottle with a chile pepper inside, into a taster glass.

A: Completely clear pale golden body with a small fizzy white head that was gone in seconds. Absolutely no head retention or lacing whatsoever. Talk about pathetic looking.

S: Gross. Spicy chili pepper, chili powder, black pepper, jalapeño and dill. That is seriously foul and disgusting. There's nothing from the "beer" base, if you would even argue it has one, that comes out at all.

T: Huge chili pepper flavors, peperoncini, chili powder and an overwhelming spiciness/burning sensation through the mouth and throat. Honestly, this is disgusting, vile and foul and is simply not drinkable. Two sips and I was finished, complete drain pour.

M: Bubbly, extremely carbonated, thin and watery. What else would you expect from a "beer" this like though? On par, yes, though it still is a terrible feel. Add the lingering burn for a good 15-20 minutes after I stopped drinking and this is just a complete fail.

Easily the worst beer I've ever had and this one is completely deserving of its score. The simple fact they bottle this and actually are getting sales (like me!) for consumption is mind-blowing. Although, this might be good to cook Mexican food with. (1,376 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -23.7%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos. (739 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +83.7%

What a bunch of WIMPS! - Hot - really? Not so much.

I normally don't like lighter beers at all but the pepper flavor made it quite pleasant for me!

By the way - I ate the peppers from both bottles I drank and they weren't hot!

What kind of salsa do the other reviewers use at a Mexican Resturant - tomato juice - really - this was NOT hot! (344 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -8.8%

I was hoping I would disagree with the masses, I wanted to like this beer. But, I cant.

The problem with this beer is not that it is a BMC type lager with a chili heat component, but instead the aroma and flavor profile both point to the literal juice in which those off the shelf hot peppers are pickled in.

The base beer is weak in comparison to the chili juice, only a bit of grainy, corn like sweetness is present. Heat quickly builds to a surprising intensity. While never venturing into palate destroying levels of heat, this is the spiciest beer I have ever had. For someone who does not like spicy foods, this would be a bit much.

While not completely undrinkable, its true that this is a bad beer. I thought I might like it...I mean, I like lagers, I like peppers and spicy food. The problem, again, is that this beer tastes pickled...very vegetal and weird. (871 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +9.8%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it) (368 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -49.3%

This beer pours an average beer color with no head or lace. It's aroma is simply chili pepper, no more, no less. The flavor is chili pepper, over the top hot, and unpalatable. The mouthfeel is thin and hot. Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer is a nasty beer, just heat, no flavor or complexity. Drain pour this one. NOT recommended!! (331 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours an apple-juice/piss-colored golden yellow, with no head whatsoever save what emits (strangely) from the stem of the chili for a few minutes...

Smells like chips and salsa, no doubt because it's pretty much corn adjunct (chips) and a chili (salsa). It's not an awful smell of its own, but the fact that it's coming from such a light liquid beer is offputting for sure.

Tastes immediately like tap water...then corn starch, then spicy salsa. The spiciness lingers for a while. Not very pleasant, but not as bad as I expected, honestly.

It feels like nothing...salsa-flavored club soda, maybe.

If anything, I guess the alcohol is well-hidden behind the awkward spiciness of the chili, but I'm definitely not convinced that's a good thing. As a beer it certainly fails, but still, it's not QUITE as bad as I was led to believe... (835 characters)

2.16/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink. (664 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into nonic tumbler.
Best Before date of 11-19-11
Gift from mother-in-law

A - The beer fizzled and bubbled like an Alka-Seltzer to produce a white head nearly an inch thick, but the head disappeared almost immediately. I've never seen a head dissipate so thoroughly in any amount of time, much less in a matter of seconds. The color was a very pale opaque straw, save for the three-inch-long chili floating atop. The beer gets bonus points just for the bubbling spectacle and "nugget" of floating matter.

S - The lovely aroma of this fine beverage was like that of a jar of cheap olives years past its intended shelf life. Emanating over the old olive sensation was a sour, spicy pepper smell.

T - Much like the smell indicated, the taste reminded me of sour olive brine with a powerful peppery kick. The first-pass flavor is only mildly spicy, but the lingering effects on the throat weren't much different than the acidic aftermath of a hangover-induced vomiting affair. I am surprised that the flavor isn't so much awful as it is just completely un-beer like. It is somewhat complex with the different flavors present and noticeable.

M - It is tough to get an exact feel for the body of this beer by slowly sipping and sloshing as usual simply because of the unappealing flavor and the burn that sets in quickly. From what can be gathered, the beer is very thin as probably should be expected for a light lager.

O - There is a reason that chili beers are not popular styles.

The burn in my throat still isn't subsiding. Thank goodness for calcium tablets. (1,594 characters)

2.32/5  rDev +7.9%

First of all why is chili beer even a style. I had this in the fridge for a few week and was afraid to taste it. It was our BOTM club's pick. It looks like a refreshing mexican lager clear light bright yellow, except for the chili pepper.The smell is all chili pepper. The taste is all chili pepper. A nice burn hangs on the lips. I dont know if I will be able to finish the bottle. I can see this be a great beer to add to Mexican food but not just to drink. (459 characters)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.