Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

2.69/5  rDev +26.3%

Having previously read the horrid reviews of this pepper flavored brew, I decided I had to try when I spotted it on the shelf at Tom's Farm. Any beer with a gimmick this ridiculous has to be had at least once. Anyway, how am I going to appreciate the best if I haven't tried the worst? Now on to the beer.

Packaged in a clear bottle with fine print that says it was brewed in Tecate, Mexico for a small brewery in Arizona. So I'm guessing its just a plain Mexican macro repackaged as a novelty. It pours a clear straw color and midway through the chili contained within plops into the glass. A white head forms a quickly fizzes into absolutely nothing. Is this soda or beer?

Jalapeno dominates the smell. Theres also light, grassy malt and hops, typical of a macro.

First thing to hit the palate is the light malt thats followed by the chili. Fizzy carbonation gives way to a light chili heat in the aftertaste.

Not as bad as I had thought. Interesting gimmick. Probably won't ever have it again. (1,000 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +10.8%

I was pumped to try this notorious beverage! JosephLondon was kind enough to indulge my curiosity on this one. I was excited, but kind of scared. I thought it would be hella nasty, stomach turning, vileness. It actually was kind of good in a bad way.

I like spiciness. This is some spicy beer. My experience with chile beer has been limited to Theobroma and Rogue's Chipotle Ale. Cave Creek is, shall we say, less complex than both of these.

It looks like an average adjunct lager. Clear yellow, no head, low carbonation...With a sketchy looking chile pepper floating in the bottle (and then my glass). This is the worst part of the beer. Seeing that pepper bob up and down, floating dangerously close to my mouth...Bleh.

Smells: bell peppers, chile peppers, hot sauce.

Tastes: like the same. The pepper and spice totally overpowers the "beer" characteristics. It's like chile pepper juice.

MF: surprisingly thick for the appearance and flat.

D: Do you like spice? And not much else? If so, this is really not that bad. No it's not complex. No, you probably wouldn't serve this at a fancy lobster dinner with the pope. But for a novelty item, it's kind of good and even a little refreshing. I wish I had some tacos or nachos or something to eat with it. I'm glad I got to try it. (1,289 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +53.5%

Clear bottle, gold label with chili in the bottle.

Pours up a nice golden-yellow and fizzy. Head is minimal and dissipates completely in only a few seconds.

Smell is of pickled chilies...almost like a crawfish boil minus the seafood smells.

The taste is pleasant...typical lager start; light, crisp and refreshing. The finish is very spicy especially in the back of the mouth and throat. It reminds me of eating spicy tex-mex or Cajun food and washing it down with a corona.

Not something I would want to order more than one of, but not bad. (546 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours a somewhat hazy golden color. There was a very slight head that fizzles up and dissipates almost immediately. There is obviously no lacing. There are a few streams of slight carbonation. Oh, and of course there is a pepper in my glass.

S - The is a slight aroma of jalapeno. That's pretty much it.

T - It just taste like an adjunct lager with with pepper. There is no complexity and the after taste is slight jalapeno. I feel like a better version of this beer could be good if done right, but not this one.

M - Too much carbonation and the the jalapeno provides some spicy burn on my lips. This lingers for way too long.

D - A sink poorer for sure. This almost upsets my stomach. Steer clear of this one lads. (725 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a tulip garnished by the hot pepper. Best by date 11/09/10

A-Brilliantly clear yellowish gold. Low white head.

S- pepper. light corn but mostly hot pepper. No hops. wet cardboard

T- Heat hits first and hard. Some cardboard. Very low hop bitterness, no hop flavor. Nice pepper flavor. Corny

M-burning. I guess this is a chili beer, but no balance what so ever. a mole porter would be nice but a light lager has nothing to stand up to the heat.
D- none. Doesn't taste good and is too hot, and I like hot food. I'm dumping this (542 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -42.3%

Drank straight from the bottle because I have a feeling it's not worth dirtying a glass. Looks like a cheap adjunct lager but this one happens to have a pepper in it. Smells like really cheap bad beer with a hint of pepper. Tastes like watered down hot sauce with carbonation. Mouthfeel is light and very hot. Not very drinkable at all. This is definitely a drain pour. I didn't have high hopes for this beer and it's about what I expected. This beer would be great for a prank. (478 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +38%

Pours light golden with a head that disappeared faster then I could pour the beer. This smells mostly like chili and I couldn't get many more smells out of it. The chili really comes through in the flavor as well and gives this beer a very spicy and unique flavor. I feel that the chili flavor does detract from the other flavors that could be in the beer and just makes this kind of a gimmick. I know that alot of people have bad things to day about this beer, but I think it is kind of a cool idea. The chili is a bit overpowering and that is really my only complaint. I would like to see this done where the chili just enhances the flavors in the beer, and I think that would make for a cool brew. (700 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -9.4%

a-pours a pale straw yellow with a minimal head that quickly dissapears it reminds me of a domestic lager
s-smells like a light beer with a strong pepper precense with a slight off vegetable edge
t-pretty light taste with a decent amount of carbination overall nothing much is going on other than the pepper totally dominating the flavor after the sip very hot not too overtly so but different. overall im not a huge fan, interesting concept but i would have prefered to try like 4 oz or so instead of a whole beer
m-very light in body but the beer really isn't meant to be enjoyed like a lighter beer (i.e one that could be enjoyed all night)
d-there really isnt much drinkablility the pepper just overpowered everything i just don't see anyone enjoying more than one of these. i tried this beer to try a chili beer and to me seems the only reason why you would want a drink that actually makes your mouth hot it defeats the purpose of a drink (944 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -25.8%

Don't get me wrong, I love hot and spicy food, but I like a good beer to go with it. Mixing the two together is not a good idea.

There is actually a nice golden lager color to it. No head formed at all when it poured and it leaves no lacing or ring on the glass. The only remarkable thing about this beers appearance is the green chili pepper floating in it.

The smell is an over powering scent of pickled peppers. If you take a long hard smell to it, you can get a hint of beer in the background. The taste is pretty much nothing but peppers. If there is any malts or hops to the flavor, they can't penetrate the overpowering flavor of peppers. This reminds me of a prank that was played on me when I was in college. A friend of mine poured about a quarter of a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce into a can of Keystone Light. The flavor is much like that, only not has hot. The aftertaste is that of a mild hot sauce.

This is a light bodied beer. Actually I didn't keep it in my mouth long enough to get a good feel for it. (1,028 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -39%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I tried this beer a bit back and this is taken from notes. The beer pours a very unappealing light yellow color(even worst the most macro's). To cut to the chase, in my opinion, a brewer (if you want to call him or her that) made a terrible beer and was looking for a quick way to make it a novelty and just put a freaking hot pepper in it to 1. cover up their brewing flaws and terrible brew 2. Try and become popular like the freaky girl wearing black in high school. This is, to the day, the worst beer i've ever tried. I'm all for weird, corky, and even extreme things, but this beer is just bad and it can only possibly sell because HEY! look at that johnny! dat beer got a darn hot pepper in it!

Not for me. Lets get back to real craft beer. (749 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +82.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I must start out by saying that I love heat and peppers. I have broken the golden rule of BA on this one for a long time and avoided it because of the poor ratings but I finally decided to get over it and buy a bottle to try lol. Pour has a head that is gone in no time bright straw color. I'm expecting a lot of pepper flavor in this beer since there probably won't be a ton of flavor to the base beer. It's tastes like it smells like drinking pepper juice without all the vinegar. Nice heat on the tongue from the first sip. I have to say for the style I like this but not as much as some other pepper beers. I would let a fellow pepper head try this but wouldn't suggest that people who don't like heat give this a second thought. No hops, grain any other profile but for what it is supposed to be it does it's job. (818 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured a rather uriny yellow in colour with no head and no lacing.

Smelled vaguely of beer but mostly of chili.

Tasted rather mild at first then there was a small amount of tickle from the chili. I can't really describe the flavour but it was basically liquid chili. I don't mind hot things so it came as no surprise that it had a bit of a mild kick.

Mouthfeel was very watery and it was low on the carbonation.

At least I can say I tried it. Not something I'd actively seek out to drink though. (499 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into nonic tumbler.
Best Before date of 11-19-11
Gift from mother-in-law

A - The beer fizzled and bubbled like an Alka-Seltzer to produce a white head nearly an inch thick, but the head disappeared almost immediately. I've never seen a head dissipate so thoroughly in any amount of time, much less in a matter of seconds. The color was a very pale opaque straw, save for the three-inch-long chili floating atop. The beer gets bonus points just for the bubbling spectacle and "nugget" of floating matter.

S - The lovely aroma of this fine beverage was like that of a jar of cheap olives years past its intended shelf life. Emanating over the old olive sensation was a sour, spicy pepper smell.

T - Much like the smell indicated, the taste reminded me of sour olive brine with a powerful peppery kick. The first-pass flavor is only mildly spicy, but the lingering effects on the throat weren't much different than the acidic aftermath of a hangover-induced vomiting affair. I am surprised that the flavor isn't so much awful as it is just completely un-beer like. It is somewhat complex with the different flavors present and noticeable.

M - It is tough to get an exact feel for the body of this beer by slowly sipping and sloshing as usual simply because of the unappealing flavor and the burn that sets in quickly. From what can be gathered, the beer is very thin as probably should be expected for a light lager.

O - There is a reason that chili beers are not popular styles.

The burn in my throat still isn't subsiding. Thank goodness for calcium tablets. (1,594 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours an apple-juice/piss-colored golden yellow, with no head whatsoever save what emits (strangely) from the stem of the chili for a few minutes...

Smells like chips and salsa, no doubt because it's pretty much corn adjunct (chips) and a chili (salsa). It's not an awful smell of its own, but the fact that it's coming from such a light liquid beer is offputting for sure.

Tastes immediately like tap water...then corn starch, then spicy salsa. The spiciness lingers for a while. Not very pleasant, but not as bad as I expected, honestly.

It feels like nothing...salsa-flavored club soda, maybe.

If anything, I guess the alcohol is well-hidden behind the awkward spiciness of the chili, but I'm definitely not convinced that's a good thing. As a beer it certainly fails, but still, it's not QUITE as bad as I was led to believe... (835 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -23%

I bought this beer under the pretense that this beer was spiced with chili, not just some beer with a pepper thrown in as an afterthought. Best by date of 1/23/12. Not planned.

A - Pours a pale, straw color, almost no head, no lacing. Fizzy. Yellow. Sad.

S - All I can smell (what little smell there is) is chili.

T - Slightly pleasant chili flavor, then cheap beer and heat. Not good heat either. Sad, short-lived heat.

M - Nasty old chili gunk gives the beer an almost gritty feel. Mellow carb. Blech.

O - Cheap, gimmicky beer. Filler with a chili thrown in just for kicks. I'd rather drink any number of malt liquor, even at a comparable price. The *ONLY* redeeming thing about this beer was the pepper, which I used to make tacos. (739 characters)

by far the worst beer I have ever had.

A: piss yellow with a foamy head that doesn't stick around.

S: smells horrible. like tabasco sauce and vinegar and skunk.

T: horrible. starts fairly sweet, finishes a bit spicy. reminds me of frosted flakes, in goat piss, with tabasco sauce on them.

M: bubbly and light. leaves a pepper burn in the back of your throat.

D: the smell makes me think I'll throw up. The tastes confirms that thought. I always finish my beer because there are sober kids in India, that is until this one. on the bright side it might work as well as draino. (579 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +35.2%

This is a novelty beer and should be reviewed as such.

A - No head at all. It is a very light yellow and crystal clear.

S - Not much in the way of malt or hops. All I can smell is Serano chili. Smells quite inviting.

T - I like spicy foods and this one is hot! The heat gets turned on as soon as you swallow. Starts in the back of your mouth and moves towards your lips. Lingers for a good minute after you swallow. Intense!

M - Again, not a whole lot going on here. Goes down like any light macro should, but with a firery surprise at the end.

D - I really would have a hard time finishing more than 1 in a sitting. I have been sipping this one for the last 20 minutes and I am only half way there.

Overall for what it is, it ain't too bad. Nothing that I'd go and buy a 6 pack of, but a beer that could be enjoyed along side a Mexican dish. (849 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +52.6%

To be honest I truly enjoyed this beer but on any regular scale that is exactly what it is, regular. An average brew though different in that the chili brewed lager is fairly spicy, and I mean hot spicy not spice spicy. It is very similar to most average mexican brews with a bit of a kick. Like beers of this sort usually are, it was drank straight from the bottle and was surprisingly different from anything I've ever tried. I'm a huge fan of spicy food so this was something that had to be experienced. Not quite as spicy on the front of the tongue as it is on the back and in the throat. Not sure if this beer could be drank all night as I have never tried and only had a six pack that was drank one at a time on different occasions. Not for the weak hearted or weak stomached. Smell is nothing to speak of but the flavor tells a slightly different tale. I actually tried eating the chili after drinking the brew but the beer must have taken all the flavor out of the chili and it had really no taste, almost a waxy fake-like flavor. Try it if you're not too timid but don't expect anything truly amazing. (1,110 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The chili pepper in the beer was a unexpected surprise. But outside of the chili pepper heat this beer is meh. Generic lager with pepper in it. The pepper is all in the back end of it so its not too hot too drink. Tried it once wouldn't get it again. (250 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -19.7%

I bought a six pack of this beer about three months ago. This was before I found this website. I was very excited to try my first Chili beer. I still have one in the fridge that I have not mustered up enough manhood to drink.

Wow! I guess I should have read some of the reviews before purchasing six. One is enough. It is a good beer to share with a few friends who are adventurous enough. When I say 'share', I mean share 1 beer with three or four people. It could also be a good beer to dare someone to drink. My girlfriend might use it to marinate chicken.

For real, anyone who likes this beer has my full respect. You are WAY tougher than I could ever be. Hey, I like hot sauce on just about everything. I'm talking pizza, eggs, fried chicken, hamburgers, you name it. But, evidently, not in my beer. The taste lingers, so I imagine if you like the flavor, you will love it. If you do not, then you won't love it. I fall in the later category. (950 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -20.7%

"Hey!" I thought, "I gotta try a Chili beer! That's crazy!" However, I didn't think beyond that and realize that it was destined for failure.
Still, I'm glad I got it. So I know how horrible it is.
Now, the look of the beer isn't that bad. It's a crystal clear low character looking beer, but not all that bad.
Plus, I actually liked the smell. It had an interesting sting of spice behind it.

I just think it tastes like recycled drain water with a pepper in it. (463 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -31.9%

Now as a man of Indian ethnicity, I love spicy food, but I do require that the food/drink taste of something else beside 'hot', because 'hot' is not even a taste, but simply the pain receptors on your tongue firing.

Why is this relevant? Because of this beer.

There is a bar in Singapore called Brauhaus, which serves beers from all over the world, Belgium, Germany, Great Britain, Mongolia, Zambia and even Palestine! The beer selection is simply staggering, from the spectacular Westmalles and Weihenstephans to the simply bizarre, like this one.

I decided to try this beer after a few visits to this place simply to see what was so special about a 'chilli' beer.

A: The bottle was a clear bottle with a piss-yellow beer inside topped off with a dull-olive-grey chilli floating on top. A small layer of oil on top of the ensemble made it look like a cherry from a drink served in hell. I poured it out onto an Asahi Pilsener glass, wisely (as I later realised) leaving the chilli in the bottle. It poured a piss yellow colour with a head that dissipated quickly.

S: Ugh! It smelt strongly of preserved chilli and pretty much nothing else. My nose gave up trying to detect anything else. Perhaps a hint of 'chilli oil' (there is such a thing, look it up).

T: Strangely enough this was the best aspect of this beer. It initially tasted of nothing else but chilli, and actually the cold beer did excite the tastebuds after being burnt by the chilli. It was a strangely pleasant experience at first, but as the beer warmed up (I don't chug beers, especially one as vile as this one) it was just carbonated oily chilli water.

M: Burnt taste buds, nose leaking like a faucet, and mouth feeling like someone just passed wind in it, but apart from that, Excellent.

D: On a very hot day, with a freezer that chills this beer to zero degrees celsius and if it remains at that temperature, this beer is not too bad on the senses.

Overall: Their website claims that 'lime is for wimps', an obvious diss on Corona which is brewed just south of the border and obviously in more demand than this foul brew. Corona with lime tastes foul enough but with a chilli in it, it went from bad to 'so bad it's good'. I decided I did not have enough punishment and ordered ANOTHER one, just to completely incinerate my innards. I have never gone near that beer since. (2,356 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +10.8%

Why not try sometning different?

Poured it into my trusty Sam Adams Perfect glass (threw the chile away)

A - It looks like an average American macro, very pale with minimal head, maybe due to the pepper in the bottle.

S - No smell except of the chile

T - Again, little taste except of the chile, it overpowers anything else that may be there, very spicy pepper taste

M - Thin, but you wouildn't expect a beer of this type to be anything else.

O - It wound probably be a great addition to a pot of chili you're cooking, otherwise, nothing special. Probably wouldn't try again, except on a dare

If you want to try a much better chile beer, try Cerveza ChileBeso by Great Basin Brewery. (693 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Ed Chileen is retired now, and his beer is contract-brewed in Tecate, Mexico. What they basically do is take a very average Mexican lager and squirt some pepper oil into the bottle. Seriously -- the quality control is so shoddy that I could not find a six-pack of Chili beer at BevMo where every bottle had a pepper in it! Yet even the pepperless bottles had the same chili taste.

If you want to experience the brew that Ed had originally conceived, then take any good, solid lager and pour it into a glass with 1/4 teaspoon of chili pepper oil mixed in. You will have a far better "chili beer" than this crap.

**UPDATE** I found a great substitute. Take cheap Mexican beer (I use Indio) and add 1 tablespoon of Italian Pepperoncini "juice" (drained from a jar of pepperoncini peppers). (788 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -8.5%

Being a beer salesman, I get people asking for all kinds of stuff, and this is one of the more popular requests. Yes, I am serious. With that in mind, I figured I would try one so I would at least know what's so great about this stuff.

So, there's a serrano pepper in here, and damn, that's definitely the prevailing scent. Serrano and corn chips is how I would best describe it. There's not much taste to be had with this one, because whatever the flavor of the beer is, it's almost entirely masked by the chili burn. I get the novelty of the product, I suppose. Imagine Modelo Especial or Sol, only throw some canned jalapenos with a touch of the juice in there, and you've got the idea (yeah, it's really not pleasant). About three sips did it for me, and then the rest went down the drain. The burn in my mouth took a surprisingly long time to go away. Not anything I'd buy again, but if people want it so much, I'll carry it at the store, if only for the novelty factor. (977 characters)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.