1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from kiltedtxn. Jalapeno at bottom of bottle. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/2" white head that was gone faster than I have ever seen a head disappear. Brew is light yellow in hue, totally clear, and there is no lacing to speak of. Aroma is lightly of generic beer, with off vegetal dominant.

Taste follows the aroma, balanced but generic, until the pepper burn comes on at the end. Actually, don't find the pepper as repulsive as most. Mouthfeel is thin, aftertaste is moderate burn, and drinkability is not good. I won't look for again, but I'll finish this one as a rite of passage.

2.25/5  rDev +9.8%

2.5/5  rDev +22%

Personally, I'll try any beer once. And I've wanted to try this one for some time now to see how bad it really is. Poured from the 12 ounce twist-off clear bottle with a chile pepper inside, into a taster glass.

A: Completely clear pale golden body with a small fizzy white head that was gone in seconds. Absolutely no head retention or lacing whatsoever. Talk about pathetic looking.

S: Gross. Spicy chili pepper, chili powder, black pepper, jalapeño and dill. That is seriously foul and disgusting. There's nothing from the "beer" base, if you would even argue it has one, that comes out at all.

T: Huge chili pepper flavors, peperoncini, chili powder and an overwhelming spiciness/burning sensation through the mouth and throat. Honestly, this is disgusting, vile and foul and is simply not drinkable. Two sips and I was finished, complete drain pour.

M: Bubbly, extremely carbonated, thin and watery. What else would you expect from a "beer" this like though? On par, yes, though it still is a terrible feel. Add the lingering burn for a good 15-20 minutes after I stopped drinking and this is just a complete fail.

Easily the worst beer I've ever had and this one is completely deserving of its score. The simple fact they bottle this and actually are getting sales (like me!) for consumption is mind-blowing. Although, this might be good to cook Mexican food with.

2.15/5  rDev +4.9%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 7/6/12

A clear straw yellow with a short lived thumbs width of foam that leaves no lace, did I mention the green chilli floating in this mofo, looks like a chilli beer alright

S smells like Old Dutch chilli cheese sauce and adjunct lager, I really don't know if this a good or bad smelling beer, it smells like something I want to dip nachos in

T same as above really, this could be the best chilli beer ever made but I'm just not feeling it

M thin and the heat just keeps building, the chilli cheese sauce comes out strong on the finish

O I'm trying to rate this for style but its hard to say its even a average beer regardless, not very drinkable that's for sure but I drank the whole thing just out of morbid curiosity

this is a cooking beer, I can think of dozens of things to do with this brew but drinking it again doesn't even cross my mind

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: props for putting a jalapeno in the beer so that has some curb appeal. golden yellow with 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.

smell: chili pepper, lager yeast,

taste: chili pepper, lager yeast, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: this is more of a novelty beer then anything else. But I had to buy when I saw it. I'm a hophead but I also love heat. : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is spicy hot. Taste is heat, heat, and more heat. Watery hot sauce with no other flavors able to penetrate the heat. Feels hot in the mouth and half of this beer went down the drain.

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was no real head to speak of. A trace of lacing, but nothing substantial.

S: Not surprisingly, lots of chili, but little else. Very one dimensional.

T: Tasted of chili, chili, and more chili. There's a little bit of corn and malt, but these ingredients do not stand up to the chili onslaught. Like the aroma, the flavor is too one dimensional and grating.

M: A below average amount of carbonation and an abrasive finish. Light-bodied. Guaranteed to give you heartburn.

O: This style of beer is hard to get right. It can be easy to go overboard with the chilis. This is what happened with this one. Not recommended.

3.1/5  rDev +51.2%

11.2 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
4.2% ABV, Best Before 011313

A - Cave Creek Chili Beer pours, with the chili, an insanely effervescent and bubbly clear pale gold color. The bubbles don't seem to ever let up, feeding into the massive and well-retained (especially for a beer with a pepper in it!) pillar of white foam. I never thought I'd have a chili floating in my beer.

S - Mild notes of a macro adjunct lager hide behind the watered down aroma of a standard sport pepper container. Just picture opening a can of peppers, pouring out three-quarters of the liquid, peppers included, and filling the rest of the can with your favorite BMC and you've got yourself Cave Creek Chili Beer. It seems to fit the bill, so I can't say it's awful, but I will say I'm definitely not attracted to it.

T - At first Cave Creek Chili Beer tastes like a typical macro lager; light-bodied, incredibly fizzy, and damn near flavorless but the chili kicks in pretty quickly to change all that. It seems to briefly skip over the tongue with a preference to attack the back of your throat where it heats up and lingers, slowly warming up on the lips as well. Give your brain a few minutes to digest what's going on; chili in beer... and then you'll begin to pick up some balancing pilsner sweetness.

M - Just calling it spicy doesn't quite cut it, though it's not as "spicy" as one might imagine. This spice is actually balanced nicely in flavor with some sweet pilsner malts. Rather, the spiciness forgoes the tongue heat to, instead, linger in the back of the throat and on the lips (make sure you're not drinking this with chapped, cracked lips!) Very light bodied and as carbonation-rich as a soda, Cave Creek Chili Beer is, in some ways, appealing.

O - Cave Creek Chili Beer isn't just a beer, it's an experience. From the floating pepper in the beer to the spicy lager taste, this gold-labeled beer is unique to be sure. Certainly polarizing, Cave Creek Chili Beer won't appeal to everyone. In fact, it probably won't appeal to most people, but there's a market for it and if there's one beer I can think of that would go great with some Mexican food, it would be this beer. Per the label, it doesn't even seem to be brewed with a chili, rather, it's added to the bottle for the finished product which is pretty impressive, especially since it's not "off" and it doesn't exhibit characteristics of a poorly made beer. I'll skip eating the chili though.

2.48/5  rDev +21%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks goes out to micstache for making this one happen for his first shipped trade as an extra because he saw it on my Wants! Thanks brother! Finally glad I get the chance to tick this guy. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller Teku (gotta class it up a little bit am I right?). Poured a golden yellow with a minimal white head with a green pepper floating around. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and earth. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, chili pepper, and a nice burn from the pepper on the followthrough. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty below average brew. However, it was not as terrible as some of the reviews would have you to believe. I was fully expecting to projectile vomit upon taking my first sip of this one based on some things I had read. However, this was not the case. Yes, this isn't the greatest brew of all time or even Chile Beer for that matter, but it wasn't vomit inducing. I would probably drink this one again if I was completely hammered. Would love to try this one FRESH so I can feel the full burn as I have a feeling some of the pepper was lost 24 hours after bottling. Worth trying at least once just to say that you did for sure.

Also on another note, I read a review that warned not to eat the pepper... This made me conduct this act. The pepper had really lost almost all of its flavor and heat to the beer. I was hoping to regret this decision and end up trying to rake it off my tongue with a fork, but this was not the case. Rather the pepper tasted like a rather earthy raw mushroom. Go figure... Too bad.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Fizzy, yellow with no head.

Slightly green and grassy with a fresh bell pepper aroma. Not amazing.

WTF? Why would I drink more of this. It is spicy but with no defined chili flavour. No malt or anything else. Not all that pleasant really and not a great beer. Sure, it's hot but it lacks finesse and flavour.

Light body with high carbonation. Lots of grip and prickliness all over my mouth.

Not drinkable at all. Beer meet drain.

1.29/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Are you kidding? I've lost dozens of reviews at random. I dread returning to this beer.

Pale, flat, and limp, this is about the weakest-looking beer you'll find. Sitting on the bottom is a pepper that doesn't look especially appealing. There's barely any head, just a bit of wisp and about 3 little spots on the glass.
It smells like as lame as any weak macro lager you'll see out there. There's little to it other than a faint whiff of something vegetal and something like light malts.
It tastes worse. It's just such a bad beer to begin with, then the pepper adds flavorless heat. The destruction of the bowels is not worth it, and it's every bit as bad as I remember. I know it's super hipster to rip on this beer, but it's so well-deserved. No beer is 0, and 1 on this site is a 0, so...
It feels as weak as water. Only imagine that someone put a little oil in water and gave it to you to drink. Slick water. I can't imagine a worse feel. Couldn't it be a little crisp, at least?

Thank God I didn't have to buy another fricking bottle of this, since apparently someone actually drinks it.

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A chile pepper rests at the bottom of the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. No head formed or lacing.

(S)- A potent aroma of chili pepper and that is about everything. Extremely spicy chili pepper and maybe some vegetable/pickled-like smell at the end.

(T)- Hot Hot & Hot! Ridiculously spicy with a burning finish as you swallow; in fact, this almost burns any tastebuds you might have since it is so spicy.

(M)- A normal carbonation level as far as I can tell. Just a ridiculously spicy burning sensation that isnt going away after only a sip or two.

(D)- Well, two sips and I am sure done. I really really tried to like this, but it provides absolutely no enjoyment flavor-wise, but rather pain and a temporary loss in my ability to taste anything else.

2.5/5  rDev +22%

1.53/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours like flat urine except for a light, slow bead. No head whatsoever although some weird soft drink fizz when first poured. No lace either. Just about the worst-looking beer I've ever seen.

Very astringent and pungent nose, very spicy in a bitter, gravelly way. Kind of organic, like rotten vegetable matter. Not much else, just that - yes, chilli - aroma. Marks for pungency, marks off for simplicity and general unpleasantness.

Taste has actually a really nice chilli fire, no doubt due to the oily presence of the pepper itself. Slight astringent vegetable sensation on the front and then a vinegar kind of character on the mid. Tastes of spice on the back, peppery and fiery, but it's mostly present just from the burning feel as it goes down, which is really the only good thing about this weak, flat urine. Although I like the burn, I don't know where to rate it up actually, because the taste is weak and uninteresting, mouthfeel apart from the burn is thin and watery, and because of the intensity it's not actually drinkable. I mean, really, if you want this sensation you can eat a whole chilli, or pour boiling water down your throat but I wouldn't call either of those experiences "drinkable".

Congratulations on putting a chilli in a bottle, Cave Creek. Feel free to brew a beer next time.

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - served and consumed from the bottle, as it seemed most appropriate as such. Had a chili pepper in it. Urea yellow, crystal clear in a clear bottle. The chili is so cool!

S - wow this smells like bud with Tabasco sauce. Or the juice of canned jalapeno peppers... interesting....

T - tastes like colt 45 with jalapeno juice. Pretty spicy and tickles the throat. A bit hot. Spicy!! Again, it is very interesting...

M - light bodied, pretty carbonated and hot.

D - I would not get this again

Overall - Thanks to my buddy pH for getting me this. Definitely a shock factor, I have never seen a chili pepper in a beer before. However catchy, it certainly does not have the taste of a proper beer. All I get from this is perhaps a malt liquor flavor without the alcohol and Tabasco sauce. So basically, a macro adjunct lager with hot sauce. It's quite the gag gift but for enjoyment, I think you need a certain palate that most people do not have. Definitely interesting, but not my cup of tea (or pint of beer).

3.25/5  rDev +58.5%

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

1.85/5  rDev -9.8%

1395th Review on BA
Bottle to Canillon Flute
12oz

Brought as a gift from John Gonzalez from MX.

App- Its the color of an adjunct. That weird looking yellow with a bit of highlighted melted butter to it. Small white head. Actually looked really nice in the glass.

Smell- Chilis, pepper, malt, corn, grain and earth. Wasnt impressed at all. Had just a one sided note behind it.

Taste- This was pretty bad. I had to admit I drain poured it about 6oz in. The chili was horrid in combination with the malts and corn. Lacked depth, complexity and substance.

Mouth- Thicker medium with a thick carbonation. Chili flavors dominated.

Drink- Would be best as a marinade, not a drink.

This beer pours more like a soda than a beer. The head is really fizz, and goes away the second I am done pouring it. The color of the beer is golden, but it really doesn't look like beer. The aroma is tobasco sauce, very unbeery. The taste is awful in the strongest sense of the word. It is like drinking a bottle of tobasco sauce. The mouthfeel is like that of a soda, fizzy and light. Overall, I tried this beeer, because I wanted to know if it was as bad as my fellow BAs have said. They were right. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, this is the worst thing I have ever drank....ever.

1.58/5  rDev -22.9%

This poured a clear light gold color with no head. It smelled predominantly like chili peppers with some cultured yeast and a bit of caramel malt. It tasted very spicy with jalapeno and green chili flavors, along with a bit of sweet yeast. It was a bit thin and sticky with a fair amount of carbonation, and an overly hot aftertaste. Overall this beer was great! Just kidding; it was terrible. It was definitely unique and true to its name, but was really difficult to drink. It was over the top spicy, and the other ingredients were cheap and unbalanced. I didn't care for the mouthfeel either, and ultimately barely finished the bottle. I agree that this might make a funny gag gift, but it's barely even worth trying for the novelty, and it's certainly a beer I won't ever drink again.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.