2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 347 | Reviews: 180 | Show All Ratings:
ADZA

Australia

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Ive seen this heaps of times before and never bought it but when my mate came round he thought it was great and brought a sixer over i think the chilli pepper floating in the bottle novelty must of sold him and pours very similar to a corona a urine looking colour with a fizzy one finger head and no lacing,the smell is basically fresh green chilli which is floating in the bottle and a stale pub but the chilli dominates and to be honest probably saved it from a 1 and the mouthfeel is light bodied but thicker than a corona and on taste the chilli basically dominates from start to finish it really does pack some heat and only allows feint tastes of grains and a herbal grassiness to come through and overall its not a beer i would buy but i have to give credit due to heat of the chilli as most chilli beers ive tried dont really have the heat like this one id just like to see a nice combination of beer and chilli and this isnt it cheers.

05-24-2012 16:26:44 | More by ADZA
BARFLYB

"We want chili willies".- Barney (The Simpsons)

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer, I've been looking for this one for a while, bottle from Wine World in Jersey. Hiss with a pry, OCCCCB pours out a uninspired pale yellow with fizz but not enough for a sparse cap, looks dead after 30 seconds. Smell is all peppers, chili, mexico, watered down Corona, it is what it is. On first sips im greeted by some spice, with pepper and some watered down mexican beer. Two seconds later, my mouth is spiced out of proportion with clashing chili/pepper, what have you. GROSS!! I could taste this for about a half hour afterwards. It almost wrecked my palate, mind you. Feel is fizzy thin with carb but for what. The beer is carbed I'll give it that, but the aftertaste of shame is huge. Im glad to give this a whirl. The US should use this beer as a interogation tactic for terrorists. That is all.

03-25-2011 01:37:12 | More by BARFLYB
KarlHungus

This beer pours more like a soda than a beer. The head is really fizz, and goes away the second I am done pouring it. The color of the beer is golden, but it really doesn't look like beer. The aroma is tobasco sauce, very unbeery. The taste is awful in the strongest sense of the word. It is like drinking a bottle of tobasco sauce. The mouthfeel is like that of a soda, fizzy and light. Overall, I tried this beeer, because I wanted to know if it was as bad as my fellow BAs have said. They were right. This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. In fact, this is the worst thing I have ever drank....ever.

03-05-2009 00:33:42 | More by KarlHungus
Pencible

1.58/5  rDev -22.9%

This poured a clear light gold color with no head. It smelled predominantly like chili peppers with some cultured yeast and a bit of caramel malt. It tasted very spicy with jalapeno and green chili flavors, along with a bit of sweet yeast. It was a bit thin and sticky with a fair amount of carbonation, and an overly hot aftertaste. Overall this beer was great! Just kidding; it was terrible. It was definitely unique and true to its name, but was really difficult to drink. It was over the top spicy, and the other ingredients were cheap and unbalanced. I didn't care for the mouthfeel either, and ultimately barely finished the bottle. I agree that this might make a funny gag gift, but it's barely even worth trying for the novelty, and it's certainly a beer I won't ever drink again.

02-26-2009 16:45:16 | More by Pencible
scottfrie

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t get excited when I found a few bottles of this beer hiding in a corner on the bottom shelf of the singles rack at Bevmo. This beers’ reputation precedes itself, and I feel honored that I have the privilege of tasting its spicy nectar.

From the clear bottle that proudly sports a 3-inch green chili pepper inside its golden liquid I reluctantly poured a few ounces into my Jackie O’s snifter. This same snifter has delivered me such fine beers as Wooden Hell and Veritas 004, but Cave Creek Chili Beer has to be the greatest beer this snifter will ever see by far.

The pour went smoothly enough. It had to be slow and deliberate so as to prevent the chili from escaping its bottled prison. The carbonation reminds me of seltzer water, and before I put the bottle back down on the table the fizzy quarter inch of white head had already disappeared from the pour.

I would describe the smell as something akin to the vomit one would produce after getting drunk off Corona and then eating a ton of spicy Mexican food. This beer definitely smells of green chilies and spicy pepper oil, but it also has this awful undertone of cornflakes and stomach acid. I’m not piling on this beer just to be mean; the smell of it really does make me gag.

The first sip went about as well as I thought it would. I held the liquid in my mouth for a few moments trying to discern some sort of flavor all the while thinking, “you know, this beer really isn’t that hot”…. then someone turned it up to eleven. How is anyone supposed to drink this? I mean I’ve had a few chili beers before. One was good, another was decent, but ALL were drinkable. When I drink this I can’t tell if I’m drinking a beer or biting into a jalapeno. I’m not even going to comment on the mouthfeel as all I can ‘feel’ when I drink this beer is fire. Watery fire.

The only reason this beer must still be in existence is due to its novelty. I can already think of two or three friends who are getting this for their birthdays, not to mention my coworkers. I mean, no one can really enjoy this let alone buy a 6-pack of it. I was going to say that unless super spicy foods are you thing you should stay away from this beer, but I’ve decided that everyone needs to stay away from this beer. Only buy a bottle if you plan to leave it under your bed to use as mace in case of burglary.

09-30-2011 22:25:12 | More by scottfrie
msubulldog25

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Found bottles of this on a recent trip to Phoenix/Tempe; I'm attracted to the oddball beer, so I couldn't leave without snagging one. Clear bottle (best before: 011510 - remarkable 9+ month shelf life!) poured to a pint glass.

'Premium Lager Beer with a Chili Pepper added'. Brewed & bottled in Tecate, Mexico, by 'Black Mountain Brewing Company'.

A: Golden yellow pour, perfectly clear. A fizzle of white head that's gone in seconds, leaving a sleepy-looking liquid with a random scattering of lonely carbonation bubbles. No lace.

S: Smells like a chili pepper in a mildly sweet adjunct lager. Yep, that sums it up.

T: Pepper heat doesn't hit immediately, taking a few sneaking seconds to build then bursts wide open. It's an average corn-like, honey sweet benign macro with one dimension alone: chili pepper.

M: Underwhelmingly slick and thin. If it weren't for the pepper warming, this would be as boring a feel as it gets.

D: Really had no trouble finishing a bottle. Glad I could compare this within a week to the (much) superior Calapooia Chili Beer. Cute gimmick with the pepper in the bottle (which bobs to the top once the cap is popped); I even decided to consume the pepper once I finished the bottle - not bad. Not as intensely hot, nor as diabolical as other reviews made it out to be: a nice warm plate of nachos or a dash of tabasco in a beer bottle. And I'm fine with that.

Worth a try, just for fun...

04-18-2009 20:55:25 | More by msubulldog25
thecheapies

1.45/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5

03-20-2012 23:54:11 | More by thecheapies
sweemzander

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A chile pepper rests at the bottom of the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. No head formed or lacing.

(S)- A potent aroma of chili pepper and that is about everything. Extremely spicy chili pepper and maybe some vegetable/pickled-like smell at the end.

(T)- Hot Hot & Hot! Ridiculously spicy with a burning finish as you swallow; in fact, this almost burns any tastebuds you might have since it is so spicy.

(M)- A normal carbonation level as far as I can tell. Just a ridiculously spicy burning sensation that isnt going away after only a sip or two.

(D)- Well, two sips and I am sure done. I really really tried to like this, but it provides absolutely no enjoyment flavor-wise, but rather pain and a temporary loss in my ability to taste anything else.

05-19-2012 18:03:11 | More by sweemzander
harrymel

Washington

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

Best by 20JUN12(?!)

Another dentist hook up.

This beer intrigued me from the start. Yellow and lager like, accented with a two inch pepper in there. Poured this tramp to a new Belgium globe. Then I smelled it: jalepenos and that's it. Tastes like the way my semen smells, and watered down pickled jalepeno juice. Not cool.

Well, not that bad, but wouldn't buy it again, had I bought it in the first place.

08-20-2011 05:40:14 | More by harrymel
OtherShoe2

1.9/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty.

01-28-2012 00:11:33 | More by OtherShoe2
ktrillionaire

2.05/5  rDev 0%

Before I can even drink it, gasps, moans, pained expressions and indignant countenance pervades the sampling group. I think it is not so bad. I wouldn't drink more than a few ounces, though.

A - Golden and ultra-clear. No head.

S - It smells like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

T - It tastes like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

M - Certainly the spiciest beer I've had. It is not terribly spicy, but it is way over the line for a beer. It is about as hot as the spiciest Bloody Mary you would ever get.

D - Can I give it a zero? It doesn't taste horrible, but it is not any more drinkable than most hot sauces, and indeed less drinkable than some.

10-29-2010 01:54:03 | More by ktrillionaire
EgadBananas

Louisiana

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

Very pale orange pour. Head of about 1.5 fingers was white, before rapidly dissipating to nothing with 3 seconds. Literally.

Pepper smell...thats it, heat, pepper, chili.

Taste was the same, liquid chili peppers. Sips were tiny as hopes were not high on this, and its just too hot to take a normal sip. Lips are still burning.

Felt like a decent light lager, so...success?

There's nothing drinkable about this. It's vile.

05-30-2011 01:46:26 | More by EgadBananas
Dope

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review.

03-05-2012 03:43:25 | More by Dope
CrellMoset

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks? Poured my portion into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance: A completely transparent, urine-colored beer, but from a well-hydrated man. A fast-fading head ... eh ....

Aroma: For a chili beer ... not so bad. It literally smells like salsa. Green pepper, jalapeno pepper, whatever - it's spicy, peppery, and not terribly good. Still trying to rate to style ...

Taste: Initially - as in, in the first three seconds - its completely and utterly inoffensive. It just tastes like light barleywater. And then, three seconds in, it hits you. like a ton of bricks. A ton of bricks clocking in at 1500 scovilles. It pretty much obliterates your taste buds in epic fashion. This beer is foul, foul and spicy. The spice lasts way too long.

Mouthfeel: I'm too scared to take another sip, so I'm just gonna say it's thin, watery, and unpleasant, and then bump it up half a point to give it the benefit of the doubt, since I won't try it again.

Drinkability: Not so hot - do I even need to say why? Once off novelties are never drinkable, but this one is particularly foul. Firmly, strongly, and intensely not recommended.

11-06-2008 05:46:50 | More by CrellMoset
JayQue

2.3/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a macro lager with the gimmick of hot peppers. It is not as bad as some of the reviews would led you to believe, but it wasn't much good either.

Imagine a Corona with fresh squeezed Jalapeno juice in it....thats about it.

Pours a macro lager gold. Fizzy white head pops up and disappears immediately. No lacing. Aroma of peppers. Tastes like a typical lager with some pepper flavor. The best thing about it is the pepper left my tongue alone. I felt the burn at the back of the roof of my mouth and palate. I would imagine you could eat something with this brew and still taste it.

Mouthfeel was average for a cheap lager. Drinkability is low...it's a gimmick beer. You either want to belt down fizzy yellow beers on a hot day or drink something good. This doesn't fit either niche.

04-20-2008 14:00:57 | More by JayQue
alleykatking

Indiana

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. My A-B rep came in today and we decided to give this a try...fuck I'm an idiot for saying ok.

A- Poured into a glass. Pours a light golden color. Nothing special just like a BMC. Very little head at first that then comes to life midway through the pour leaving me with a good 1/4 inch off white head. When it dies down left no lacing. I was lucky enough to have the pepper land in my glass....it must not of liked being in the bottle much for as I cracked the bottle open in the first place it shot to the top. Not a good looking beer in my opinion. This can only get worse.

(on a side note my assistant manager who likes anything hot took the chili out of my cup and took a bite out of it. His eyes lit up and about 2 minutes later raced to the bathroom because the pepper didn't sit right with him...I should have known then this was going to be unpleasant).

S- This is rancid smelling at best. The smell of peppers is almost too much. This beer smells like a warm Bud on a hot day with someones idea of a joke by putting pepper juice in it. I tried to find some good in it but it's gone bad a long time ago and wasn't coming back. I would rather stick my nose in a run over skunk's asshole during the middle of summer than smell this horrible horrible beer again.

T- After smelling the beer I once again didn't really want to drink it. Upon first sip I didn't even taste anything. This is good right?? No because I just got a burning feeling going down my throat. I think this is what it would be like if Satan decided to walk upon us and pick you out as a human urinal. No real distinct taste but it burns when it hits the back of your mouth. It tasted like a BMC gone wrong. This hellfire should be given back to Hell pronto!

M- I didn't really want to even put this back into my mouth after the first taste but for the sake of a review I did. Oh the horror. Yes it does have a light and crisp feel to it as long as you could forget about the overwhelming pepper taste that came along with it. It coated everything in a watery pepper juice taste. Hot. Like someone started a wildfire in your mouth. And I then remembered "Only you can prevent forest fires!" How I wish I would have heeded to those warnings.

D- Why anyone would rate this high is beyond me. I understand everyone has a different palate but for crying out loud who would want some hot Satan piss in their mouth? Oh yea the same people who like the golden showers. Word of advice for those people who are trying to be pushed into giving their partner a golden shower...tell them to close their eyes and pour this on them. It will get them to never ask you to do it again.

P.S. You should give this beer a try someday. Just so you know what I am talking about.

05-16-2009 03:20:58 | More by alleykatking
Phelps

Arizona

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Looks: like pee. Pale yellow, perfectly clear, with a white head that evaporates as quickly as soda fizz. A whole jalapeno sits menacingly at the bottom of the glass, then rises to the surface as if alive, spewing white bubbles from it open end like smoke from an underwater volcano.

Smells: like foreboding. Jalapeno juice, sour grain and not much else. Sweet lord. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Tastes: like jalapeno Doritos gone horribly, horribly wrong. This is beer? A spicy heat coats the mouth and throat immediately, and LINGERS. It's an inescapable, gross heat, akin to taking a shot of the juice leftover in a jar of jalapenos.

Feels: like burning. The overriding and assaulting spiciness is complemented (joined in discord?) with medium carbonation and a light, watery mouthfeel. Ugh.

Drinks: I wouldn't know. I allowed just two sips: the first to judge taste and a valiant second to get the mouthfeel. The rest ended up in my drain, hopefully finding some use as a pipe cleaner.

07-06-2010 23:06:02 | More by Phelps
Drew966

1.58/5  rDev -22.9%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili comes in a clear bottle with a chili pepper floating in it. It pours a pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is chili pepper. The flavor is more heat than flavor. In all fairness this beer tastes just like a chili pepper not just heat, but that's all it tastes like. This is really a bad beer, it ended up being a drain pour even though four of us tried to drink a twelve ounce bottle and couldn't manage it. It's purely a novelty rather than a drinkable beer.

01-16-2009 00:43:47 | More by Drew966
elNopalero

Not sure I should thank XicanoBeerRun for this, but he’s responsible for it falling into my hands all the same. Technically, I offered to take it off of his hands—my sacrifice for the greater good. Also, I promised him I’d make some borracho beans to share with him with whatever I didn’t drink.

Initially I think we were both of the opinion that this was a joke beer, something you give as a novelty to beer drinkers in southwestern states. But then I saw six-packs of this on-sale at a better beer and liquor store. So someone is out there drinking this. And probably loving it.

Comes in a clear bottle with what looks like a tiny serrano pepper. I poured half of it into a small mason jar. Pours clear and dark golden, with no foam and some tiny bubbles rising along the sides. I get a musty, stale-beer smell on the nose. Probably skunked from the bottle? (Just checked and I’m drinking it two days after the ‘sell by’ date, which could mean any number of things. Did the aromatic hops mellow out? [I’m kidding!]) Some faint chile aromas, more like pickled chiles from a jar. If that’s the desired effect I might as well make my own chili beer with canned jalapeños.

The spice dominates the palate. Honestly, it’s not all that terrible. Pretty one-dimensional, and fades quickly. The vinegar I picked up on the nose doesn’t come across on the taste, thankfully. This comes from Cerveceria Mexicana, makers of Tecate. But the beer itself has more body and malt than their flagship brew. Not a winner by any stretch of the imagination but there’s definitely some potential here—even if it is just for cooking some killer borracho beans!

10-04-2011 19:31:42 | More by elNopalero
Proteus93

1.78/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur, whose intentions I begin to question

A: Pale, quite a clear beer... the chili added to the bottle causes a rather unusual, sharp bubbling. The head forms incredibly fizzly and immediately recedes to nothing.

S: Smells like straight up peppers. Very much like salsa. Not horrid in the sense of chilis. Not good in the sense of beer.

T: Out of three of us in the room, it seems I am the only one that can manage it without feeling ill. That's not to say I think it's good. It really tastes like mild jalapeno juice. I could potentially drink it as a pepper drink - there are grain alcohols in there.

M + D: I can't not drink it... I can deal with drinking it without puking, I suppose, but I dunno why I'd really want to. It's just not a good beer, unfortunately.

11-06-2008 05:26:18 | More by Proteus93
buschbeer

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

I have been wanting to try a pepper beer, although I have been a bit apprehensive about it. I like beer and I like spicy food, but I'm not sure if they belong in the same container. I did not notice the chili pepper in the bottle when I purchased it. I poured into a pint glass to a typical Mexican beer head, nonexistant. It is a clear, pale yellow like a lager. I smells like peppers. It tastes like lager with some heat. I am kind of surprised at the spiciness. This is the reason I don't drink Corona. If you have to add a fruit or vegetable to a beer it really isn't drinkable. Overall it is not as bad as I thought, but still not good. I wasn't sure how to rate since this is my first experience so I may have went a little too easy on it.

04-04-2009 02:14:41 | More by buschbeer
CampusCrew

2.23/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: golden-yellow-hued body, rapid rising bubbles. lager like, not head.

Smell: ripe green peppers is definitly noticable.

Taste: like someone put some pepers in my bug light. spicy up front and a lot on the backend. Huge pepper flavor. suprised how prevalent it is.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, highly carbonated

Drinkability: blah, I probably won;t finish this beer. working on it now.

08-04-2010 20:18:13 | More by CampusCrew
notchucknorris

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours a clear pale golden color. A thin head on the pour disappears about as soon as it hits the glass. Doesn't look promising.

S: Yikes. Lots of pepper, bread and corn. If you soaked a jalapeño corn cake in water for about a week, I'm guessing it would smell something like that.

T: Very watery with a ton of sweet boiled corn flavor. Heat hits about midway an takes over anything else in the way of flavor. Very thin mouthfeel. Really, really not good.

06-22-2012 21:38:20 | More by notchucknorris
tmoneyba

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured clear light amber with no head and minimal lacing. Heavy green chili aroma. Light body with a thin texture and soft carbonation. Hot chili flavor with a hot chili finish of moderate duration. Interesting for one drink, so I poured the rest out.

01-08-2010 02:24:06 | More by tmoneyba
facundoCNB

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

01-12-2012 18:40:01 | More by facundoCNB
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.