Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007

Ratings: 407 | Reviews: 198
2.01/5  rDev -2.9%

Not sure I should thank XicanoBeerRun for this, but he’s responsible for it falling into my hands all the same. Technically, I offered to take it off of his hands—my sacrifice for the greater good. Also, I promised him I’d make some borracho beans to share with him with whatever I didn’t drink.

Initially I think we were both of the opinion that this was a joke beer, something you give as a novelty to beer drinkers in southwestern states. But then I saw six-packs of this on-sale at a better beer and liquor store. So someone is out there drinking this. And probably loving it.

Comes in a clear bottle with what looks like a tiny serrano pepper. I poured half of it into a small mason jar. Pours clear and dark golden, with no foam and some tiny bubbles rising along the sides. I get a musty, stale-beer smell on the nose. Probably skunked from the bottle? (Just checked and I’m drinking it two days after the ‘sell by’ date, which could mean any number of things. Did the aromatic hops mellow out? [I’m kidding!]) Some faint chile aromas, more like pickled chiles from a jar. If that’s the desired effect I might as well make my own chili beer with canned jalapeños.

The spice dominates the palate. Honestly, it’s not all that terrible. Pretty one-dimensional, and fades quickly. The vinegar I picked up on the nose doesn’t come across on the taste, thankfully. This comes from Cerveceria Mexicana, makers of Tecate. But the beer itself has more body and malt than their flagship brew. Not a winner by any stretch of the imagination but there’s definitely some potential here—even if it is just for cooking some killer borracho beans!

2.27/5  rDev +9.7%

I've got to give the appearance an extra point cause there's a pepper in the bottle! The nose is all chili pepper, vegetative and spicy.

The flavor is a novelty as there's little actual beer flavor. It's all pepper with a natural vegetable flavor. I get a nice bit of heat, nothing offensive but nothing exceptional. The feel is actually easy to drink with a kick.

This reminds me of Corona with a lime except it's a chili pepper. The flavor is so weak that it fully accepts the additive and it becomes whether you enjoy that additive.

2.32/5  rDev +12.1%

This is a macro lager with the gimmick of hot peppers. It is not as bad as some of the reviews would led you to believe, but it wasn't much good either.

Imagine a Corona with fresh squeezed Jalapeno juice in it....thats about it.

Pours a macro lager gold. Fizzy white head pops up and disappears immediately. No lacing. Aroma of peppers. Tastes like a typical lager with some pepper flavor. The best thing about it is the pepper left my tongue alone. I felt the burn at the back of the roof of my mouth and palate. I would imagine you could eat something with this brew and still taste it.

Mouthfeel was average for a cheap lager. Drinkability is low...it's a gimmick beer. You either want to belt down fizzy yellow beers on a hot day or drink something good. This doesn't fit either niche.

2.78/5  rDev +34.3%

this is the first time ive been forced to review a beer for rating it too high. its not a good beer by any stretch. but the chili pepper does give an ok flavor to an otherwise flavorless beer.

1.94/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours pale/medium yellow with a fizzy white head. No retention. No lace.

Peppers in the nose. Pickled peppers. Generous rating because that is exactly what this beer is. Lack of anything else is hard to justify. Slight light malt if you really dig for it.

Big pepper flavor in the mouth. Burn, sour, followed by some bitterness and sour bland malt. It goes beyond saying that I'm getting the pepper here. Trying to decide if this would go well with food. Can't even imagine getting drunk on this. Pity the fool who vomits this up. 1.5 for strength of pepper.

Light bodied, ok carbonation.

Overall, a pepper beer. Period. I'm a sucker for trying it. But it is what it is. Complete novelty.

2.05/5  rDev -1%

Before I can even drink it, gasps, moans, pained expressions and indignant countenance pervades the sampling group. I think it is not so bad. I wouldn't drink more than a few ounces, though.

A - Golden and ultra-clear. No head.

S - It smells like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

T - It tastes like the nachos you get at the movie theater.

M - Certainly the spiciest beer I've had. It is not terribly spicy, but it is way over the line for a beer. It is about as hot as the spiciest Bloody Mary you would ever get.

D - Can I give it a zero? It doesn't taste horrible, but it is not any more drinkable than most hot sauces, and indeed less drinkable than some.

I didn't realize that they could bottle Tabasco sauce and pass it off as beer. Because that's all this is. You can miss the bottle, because it has a giant green pepper in it.

It's as spicy as hell and leaves a horrible burning from my mouth to about halfway down my trachea. It actually fizzes as you poor it into a glass.

I was worried about getting a disease while drinking this, and while I don't mind dying slowly from alcohol intake, I'd rather not have it be from a single crap beer.

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

2.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance: golden-yellow-hued body, rapid rising bubbles. lager like, not head.

Smell: ripe green peppers is definitly noticable.

Taste: like someone put some pepers in my bug light. spicy up front and a lot on the backend. Huge pepper flavor. suprised how prevalent it is.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, highly carbonated

Drinkability: blah, I probably won;t finish this beer. working on it now.

1.47/5  rDev -29%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks? Poured my portion into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance: A completely transparent, urine-colored beer, but from a well-hydrated man. A fast-fading head ... eh ....

Aroma: For a chili beer ... not so bad. It literally smells like salsa. Green pepper, jalapeno pepper, whatever - it's spicy, peppery, and not terribly good. Still trying to rate to style ...

Taste: Initially - as in, in the first three seconds - its completely and utterly inoffensive. It just tastes like light barleywater. And then, three seconds in, it hits you. like a ton of bricks. A ton of bricks clocking in at 1500 scovilles. It pretty much obliterates your taste buds in epic fashion. This beer is foul, foul and spicy. The spice lasts way too long.

Mouthfeel: I'm too scared to take another sip, so I'm just gonna say it's thin, watery, and unpleasant, and then bump it up half a point to give it the benefit of the doubt, since I won't try it again.

Drinkability: Not so hot - do I even need to say why? Once off novelties are never drinkable, but this one is particularly foul. Firmly, strongly, and intensely not recommended.

1.08/5  rDev -47.8%

I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. My A-B rep came in today and we decided to give this a try...fuck I'm an idiot for saying ok.

A- Poured into a glass. Pours a light golden color. Nothing special just like a BMC. Very little head at first that then comes to life midway through the pour leaving me with a good 1/4 inch off white head. When it dies down left no lacing. I was lucky enough to have the pepper land in my glass....it must not of liked being in the bottle much for as I cracked the bottle open in the first place it shot to the top. Not a good looking beer in my opinion. This can only get worse.

(on a side note my assistant manager who likes anything hot took the chili out of my cup and took a bite out of it. His eyes lit up and about 2 minutes later raced to the bathroom because the pepper didn't sit right with him...I should have known then this was going to be unpleasant).

S- This is rancid smelling at best. The smell of peppers is almost too much. This beer smells like a warm Bud on a hot day with someones idea of a joke by putting pepper juice in it. I tried to find some good in it but it's gone bad a long time ago and wasn't coming back. I would rather stick my nose in a run over skunk's asshole during the middle of summer than smell this horrible horrible beer again.

T- After smelling the beer I once again didn't really want to drink it. Upon first sip I didn't even taste anything. This is good right?? No because I just got a burning feeling going down my throat. I think this is what it would be like if Satan decided to walk upon us and pick you out as a human urinal. No real distinct taste but it burns when it hits the back of your mouth. It tasted like a BMC gone wrong. This hellfire should be given back to Hell pronto!

M- I didn't really want to even put this back into my mouth after the first taste but for the sake of a review I did. Oh the horror. Yes it does have a light and crisp feel to it as long as you could forget about the overwhelming pepper taste that came along with it. It coated everything in a watery pepper juice taste. Hot. Like someone started a wildfire in your mouth. And I then remembered "Only you can prevent forest fires!" How I wish I would have heeded to those warnings.

D- Why anyone would rate this high is beyond me. I understand everyone has a different palate but for crying out loud who would want some hot Satan piss in their mouth? Oh yea the same people who like the golden showers. Word of advice for those people who are trying to be pushed into giving their partner a golden shower...tell them to close their eyes and pour this on them. It will get them to never ask you to do it again.

P.S. You should give this beer a try someday. Just so you know what I am talking about.

1.28/5  rDev -38.2%

Looks: like pee. Pale yellow, perfectly clear, with a white head that evaporates as quickly as soda fizz. A whole jalapeno sits menacingly at the bottom of the glass, then rises to the surface as if alive, spewing white bubbles from it open end like smoke from an underwater volcano.

Smells: like foreboding. Jalapeno juice, sour grain and not much else. Sweet lord. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Tastes: like jalapeno Doritos gone horribly, horribly wrong. This is beer? A spicy heat coats the mouth and throat immediately, and LINGERS. It's an inescapable, gross heat, akin to taking a shot of the juice leftover in a jar of jalapenos.

Feels: like burning. The overriding and assaulting spiciness is complemented (joined in discord?) with medium carbonation and a light, watery mouthfeel. Ugh.

Drinks: I wouldn't know. I allowed just two sips: the first to judge taste and a valiant second to get the mouthfeel. The rest ended up in my drain, hopefully finding some use as a pipe cleaner.

1.6/5  rDev -22.7%

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili comes in a clear bottle with a chili pepper floating in it. It pours a pale yellow with a white head. The aroma is chili pepper. The flavor is more heat than flavor. In all fairness this beer tastes just like a chili pepper not just heat, but that's all it tastes like. This is really a bad beer, it ended up being a drain pour even though four of us tried to drink a twelve ounce bottle and couldn't manage it. It's purely a novelty rather than a drinkable beer.

1.57/5  rDev -24.2%

This creative beer (there is an actual whole green chili pepper inside every bottle) opens with a sickly pallid complexion and a nonexistent head. The only scent I get is, not surprisingly, jalapeno. The taste is, well, like hot sauce. The pepper far overpowers the ultra-light lager beer it's suspended in. I have to admit, it's a nice novelty for the beer fan who THINKS he/she's had it all, but this one is just not appetizing at all. I'm not one to ever waste a beer, but this one's a pourer.

1.46/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market.

2.57/5  rDev +24.2%

12 bottle (of course) poured into a pint glass (with the chili, which I'll eat at the end of this review)

Pours a clear piss-yellow, very bubbly and carbonated but no head at all (and clearly no lacing). Smell is malt-liquory -- sweet and malty -- with a very noticeable pepper presence and a little lager smell in the background.

Taste is not as spicy as I would have expected from the rumors. I get more green pepper taste than spicy sensation from it (but I did have tacos for dinner that were actually spicy). A lot of sweetness, heavy on malts, more of the malt liquor and lager theme, some sour dusty kind of aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin and surprisingly flat for as carbonated and bubbly as this beer is. It's fairly middle of the road drinkable for me...lots of stuff I would choose over this, but I would choose this over BMC without hesitation.

As for the pepper...it's bland, leathery, and unpleasant.

2.36/5  rDev +14%

A - orange/yellow , lots of carbonation, very little head

S - all i can smell is pepper, no beer characteristics whatsoever

T - initial taste was like a molson ice and then the pepper hits ya

M - spicy, burning throat sensation

O - it's ok for a novelty beer but i can't picture anyone honestly sitting and drinking more than one (if they can even get through it)

1.4/5  rDev -32.4%

I understand this is a novelty beer. So I will review it as such. Poured into my pint glass the beer is pale golden yellow with not a hint of head. So at this point I'm rethinking my descision to even attempt to drink this beer. I will soldier on for the sake of knowledge.

The aroma is what I imagine satans breath would be like. Pure jalapeno with traces of sweet adjuncts. Once again I pause and take stock of what I'm about to ingest. Part of me wants to just pour this beer down the drain and move on. The masochist in me feels the need to give it a go. Damn testosterone.

The flavor is.... if it's possible, worse then I expected. Hot jalapenos and sweet corn. Why would someone think this was a good idea? this one if the worst things I've ever tasted. If I could give it a zero I would.

As far as body goes I have no idea. I can't possibly let this sit in my mouth long enough to get a gauge on it. So lets just say light and carbonated.

Overall no suprises here. This is an abomination of a beverage. I might have a better chance at choking down battery acid. I could see cooking chili and pouring it in for flavor. This is it's one and only redeeming quality.

1.57/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Crap Ola to the highest magnitude.

1.75/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur, whose intentions I begin to question

A: Pale, quite a clear beer... the chili added to the bottle causes a rather unusual, sharp bubbling. The head forms incredibly fizzly and immediately recedes to nothing.

S: Smells like straight up peppers. Very much like salsa. Not horrid in the sense of chilis. Not good in the sense of beer.

T: Out of three of us in the room, it seems I am the only one that can manage it without feeling ill. That's not to say I think it's good. It really tastes like mild jalapeno juice. I could potentially drink it as a pepper drink - there are grain alcohols in there.

M + D: I can't not drink it... I can deal with drinking it without puking, I suppose, but I dunno why I'd really want to. It's just not a good beer, unfortunately.

2.31/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat.

3.88/5  rDev +87.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's meant to be spicy and it delivered. It's a niche. Particularly good mouth feel and smell for this style

2.15/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured clear light amber with no head and minimal lacing. Heavy green chili aroma. Light body with a thin texture and soft carbonation. Hot chili flavor with a hot chili finish of moderate duration. Interesting for one drink, so I poured the rest out.

1.42/5  rDev -31.4%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been raped, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony.

1.32/5  rDev -36.2%

I heard a lot of buzz around this beer and when I saw it at the liquor store I knew I had to pick up a couple. I split one with two friends and here's how it went....
A= not too bad pretty basic. classic fizzy yellow color with a tiny head that falls quickly with no lacing.
S= things went down hill from here. wow what was I thinking. this one smells like those jalepenos in a jar at the store but worst. there's the smell of the crappy beer in it as well that sort of makes it smell like someone puked up those jalepenos and wanted you to drink the mess.
T= after seeing my friends reactions i was growing more interested. I took my sip. sort of tastes like a warm corona not bad. then i swallowed. the back was where the heat was. Not overly hot but just enough to make this beer a mess. The feeling of this beer in my belly made me want to throw up.
M= average mouthfeel. this beer was awful but you know they mouthfeel wasn't as bad as some others.
D= never never again. I refuse to drain pour a beer just because I personally think its a little silly. I'm a little tight with my money so if beer is there it's gonna get drunk. If I would have drank this on my own who knows. The sick feeling I got from this beer resting in my belly lasted for quite a while and pretty much cut me off that night. If I would have drank another beer I would have become quite queezy I think. Not the best experience.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.