Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Ive seen this heaps of times before and never bought it but when my mate came round he thought it was great and brought a sixer over i think the chilli pepper floating in the bottle novelty must of sold him and pours very similar to a corona a urine looking colour with a fizzy one finger head and no lacing,the smell is basically fresh green chilli which is floating in the bottle and a stale pub but the chilli dominates and to be honest probably saved it from a 1 and the mouthfeel is light bodied but thicker than a corona and on taste the chilli basically dominates from start to finish it really does pack some heat and only allows feint tastes of grains and a herbal grassiness to come through and overall its not a beer i would buy but i have to give credit due to heat of the chilli as most chilli beers ive tried dont really have the heat like this one id just like to see a nice combination of beer and chilli and this isnt it cheers.

1.89/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Okay, I have had a chili beer before. It must have been about 20 years ago, and I remember it being absolutely in undrinkable. No taste, just unbearable heat. So, that was the benchmark that I had in mind when I opened this bottle, a brew that my wife bought for me as a little surprise. First of alls, although it isn't good, it also isn't undrinkable. The smell is of green chilies. Maybe a little spicey pepper, and some adjunct macro lager veggie brew scents. The taste has heat, and it definitely distracts from the taste of the beer. But, it is not too much that the beer isn't drinkable. It is a nice, slow burning heat. Some mild sweetness in the beer. The heat prevents me from giving a really accurate description of the beer characteristics in themselves. Light body. I won't have another one (well, maybe in another 20 years), but it was interesting enough that, although I didn't like it, I don't regret trying.

1.25/5  rDev -39%

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

I’d be a liar if I said I didn’t get excited when I found a few bottles of this beer hiding in a corner on the bottom shelf of the singles rack at Bevmo. This beers’ reputation precedes itself, and I feel honored that I have the privilege of tasting its spicy nectar.

From the clear bottle that proudly sports a 3-inch green chili pepper inside its golden liquid I reluctantly poured a few ounces into my Jackie O’s snifter. This same snifter has delivered me such fine beers as Wooden Hell and Veritas 004, but Cave Creek Chili Beer has to be the greatest beer this snifter will ever see by far.

The pour went smoothly enough. It had to be slow and deliberate so as to prevent the chili from escaping its bottled prison. The carbonation reminds me of seltzer water, and before I put the bottle back down on the table the fizzy quarter inch of white head had already disappeared from the pour.

I would describe the smell as something akin to the vomit one would produce after getting drunk off Corona and then eating a ton of spicy Mexican food. This beer definitely smells of green chilies and spicy pepper oil, but it also has this awful undertone of cornflakes and stomach acid. I’m not piling on this beer just to be mean; the smell of it really does make me gag.

The first sip went about as well as I thought it would. I held the liquid in my mouth for a few moments trying to discern some sort of flavor all the while thinking, “you know, this beer really isn’t that hot”…. then someone turned it up to eleven. How is anyone supposed to drink this? I mean I’ve had a few chili beers before. One was good, another was decent, but ALL were drinkable. When I drink this I can’t tell if I’m drinking a beer or biting into a jalapeno. I’m not even going to comment on the mouthfeel as all I can ‘feel’ when I drink this beer is fire. Watery fire.

The only reason this beer must still be in existence is due to its novelty. I can already think of two or three friends who are getting this for their birthdays, not to mention my coworkers. I mean, no one can really enjoy this let alone buy a 6-pack of it. I was going to say that unless super spicy foods are you thing you should stay away from this beer, but I’ve decided that everyone needs to stay away from this beer. Only buy a bottle if you plan to leave it under your bed to use as mace in case of burglary.

3.5/5  rDev +70.7%

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Found bottles of this on a recent trip to Phoenix/Tempe; I'm attracted to the oddball beer, so I couldn't leave without snagging one. Clear bottle (best before: 011510 - remarkable 9+ month shelf life!) poured to a pint glass.

'Premium Lager Beer with a Chili Pepper added'. Brewed & bottled in Tecate, Mexico, by 'Black Mountain Brewing Company'.

A: Golden yellow pour, perfectly clear. A fizzle of white head that's gone in seconds, leaving a sleepy-looking liquid with a random scattering of lonely carbonation bubbles. No lace.

S: Smells like a chili pepper in a mildly sweet adjunct lager. Yep, that sums it up.

T: Pepper heat doesn't hit immediately, taking a few sneaking seconds to build then bursts wide open. It's an average corn-like, honey sweet benign macro with one dimension alone: chili pepper.

M: Underwhelmingly slick and thin. If it weren't for the pepper warming, this would be as boring a feel as it gets.

D: Really had no trouble finishing a bottle. Glad I could compare this within a week to the (much) superior Calapooia Chili Beer. Cute gimmick with the pepper in the bottle (which bobs to the top once the cap is popped); I even decided to consume the pepper once I finished the bottle - not bad. Not as intensely hot, nor as diabolical as other reviews made it out to be: a nice warm plate of nachos or a dash of tabasco in a beer bottle. And I'm fine with that.

Worth a try, just for fun...

1.45/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Cave Creek Chile Beer. Past its expiration, no less.

Looks horrendous. Poured like flat soda with fast bubbles that died to a stillwater surface. No bubbles rising from the bottom. AND, a big ol' green chili pepper plopped into the glass. Huh, this beer comes with its own garnish. Extra half-point for the free veggie. 1.5

Smells like fermented corn and Tabasco sauce, but heavy on the corn. Sweet-smelling. Pretty rank, if it were any more prominent. 1.5

Tastes like watery Tabasco sauce and corn mash run-off. So corn-y and peppery. That's it! Nothing else to say about it! Not even particularly spicy considering that I was hoping for knock-off-your-socks capsaicin burn. I mean, there aren't many beers that pack a bigger chili pepper wallop, but that's all this is meant to be, right? Sorry, I prefer Rogue Chipotle Ale or Church Brew Works Mexican Mole Stout. Haha... prefer? NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! 1.5

Even though this beer feels like utter shit (no carbonation, past its prime (haha, prime), thin and watery, spicy aftertaste, hardly drinkable), I'm still glad to knock it off my bucket list. It's certainly a dare to eat the chili pepper inside, but what else could make this whole experience complete? 1.0

The funniest part is that I paid $3 for the bottle out of sheer curiousity and reviewing pleasure. I feel like I'm deserved a free t-shirt or tin of Altoids or something. Will never be drinking this again (insert smiley face). 1.5

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

A: A clear straw pour with a small white head on top. Retention is middle of the road. Just a touch of lacing. Looks more or less like the Corona I just reviewed before this.

S: Smells like pure peppers. Overpowering and honestly not very pleasant. Like peppers that went bad. Stings the nose.

T: Pure pepper flavor and a bunch of stinging heat.

M: Basically water.

O: One of the worst beers I've ever had. The pepper smell is so rancid and overpowering it was tough to even try a few sips for the purpose of this review.

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

Best by 20JUN12(?!)

Another dentist hook up.

This beer intrigued me from the start. Yellow and lager like, accented with a two inch pepper in there. Poured this tramp to a new Belgium globe. Then I smelled it: jalepenos and that's it. Tastes like the way my semen smells, and watered down pickled jalepeno juice. Not cool.

Well, not that bad, but wouldn't buy it again, had I bought it in the first place.

2.25/5  rDev +9.8%

2.5/5  rDev +22%

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours a clear pale golden color. A thin head on the pour disappears about as soon as it hits the glass. Doesn't look promising.

S: Yikes. Lots of pepper, bread and corn. If you soaked a jalapeño corn cake in water for about a week, I'm guessing it would smell something like that.

T: Very watery with a ton of sweet boiled corn flavor. Heat hits about midway an takes over anything else in the way of flavor. Very thin mouthfeel. Really, really not good.

2.48/5  rDev +21%

I picked up a bottle of Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple chili beers before and found them to be hit or miss pending on their balance so lets see what I am getting myself into with this beer. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A- The label on this beer beer looks pretty plain but it doesn't look bad, the real attention grabber is the green chili sitting at the bottom of the clear bottle, it looks a little intimidating. It poured a very clear pale straw yellow color with a finger and a half of white head that disappeared in two seconds to nothing, I have never seen a head die this fast.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty much dominated by the chili. I can only pick up a real slight aroma of biscuity and grainy malts. The aroma is pretty much all green chili but there also is an aroma similar to pickled jalapenos, the aroma is all about the chili and nothing else.

T- The taste starts of with a Pilsner like taste with some biscuity malts, but that only lasts for a split second till you are bombarded with chili peppers. The taste goes from fresh green chili pepper to pickled jalapeno to fresh red chili's, pretty much just like a hand full of random hot peppers. The finish had a pretty big warming burn to it, it starts in your throat and goes all the way down to you stomach to provide a steady burn for several minutes, it even makes my lips burn and my forehead sweat. I can already tell I am going to need a hand full of tums after I finish this bad boy.

M- Spicy and light bodied with medium carbonation. The body suits the light lager base of this beer.

Overall I thought beer was pretty mediocre. Balance goes a long way with these beers and is what separates a good chili beer from a bad one. This beer didn't have good balance, I could barely taste the base of this beer, the chili peppers dominated everything and didn't let anything else shine through. This has to be the hottest chili beer I have had with Dragonmeads Ring of Fire being the only beer that comes close hotness wise. Drinkability was very poor, I struggled to drink the second half of this beer, it just didn't stop burning, you would have to be a glutton for punishment to want to drink more then one of these. I do think this would make a great beer to cook with, I can only imagine how good some chili or beer can chicken would be with this beer in it. What I liked most about this beer was the reaction I got from letting my friends take a sip, and what I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance, there was so much chili in this beer that it overpowered everything. I would buy this again if I wanted to pull a prank on someone or for cooking but not for personal consumption. Unless you just love chili peppers you might want to avoid this beer. I just wasn't impressed with beer, it was pretty much a chili bomb and it tore my stomach up, looks like I will be popping tums all night. This beer was exactly what it claimed to be, but it was just too hot and too much for me.

2.75/5  rDev +34.1%

2.5/5  rDev +22%

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

I have been wanting to try a pepper beer, although I have been a bit apprehensive about it. I like beer and I like spicy food, but I'm not sure if they belong in the same container. I did not notice the chili pepper in the bottle when I purchased it. I poured into a pint glass to a typical Mexican beer head, nonexistant. It is a clear, pale yellow like a lager. I smells like peppers. It tastes like lager with some heat. I am kind of surprised at the spiciness. This is the reason I don't drink Corona. If you have to add a fruit or vegetable to a beer it really isn't drinkable. Overall it is not as bad as I thought, but still not good. I wasn't sure how to rate since this is my first experience so I may have went a little too easy on it.

2.3/5  rDev +12.2%

This is a macro lager with the gimmick of hot peppers. It is not as bad as some of the reviews would led you to believe, but it wasn't much good either.

Imagine a Corona with fresh squeezed Jalapeno juice in it....thats about it.

Pours a macro lager gold. Fizzy white head pops up and disappears immediately. No lacing. Aroma of peppers. Tastes like a typical lager with some pepper flavor. The best thing about it is the pepper left my tongue alone. I felt the burn at the back of the roof of my mouth and palate. I would imagine you could eat something with this brew and still taste it.

Mouthfeel was average for a cheap lager. Drinkability is low...it's a gimmick beer. You either want to belt down fizzy yellow beers on a hot day or drink something good. This doesn't fit either niche.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.