2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili - Chili Beer Co.

Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con ChiliOriginal C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili

awful

Chili Beer Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Chile Beer |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: oelergud on 09-23-2007)
View: Beers (1) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 347 | Reviews: 180 | Show All Ratings:
secondtooth

Indiana

1.55/5  rDev -24.4%

This creative beer (there is an actual whole green chili pepper inside every bottle) opens with a sickly pallid complexion and a nonexistent head. The only scent I get is, not surprisingly, jalapeno. The taste is, well, like hot sauce. The pepper far overpowers the ultra-light lager beer it's suspended in. I have to admit, it's a nice novelty for the beer fan who THINKS he/she's had it all, but this one is just not appetizing at all. I'm not one to ever waste a beer, but this one's a pourer.

11-15-2010 00:43:17 | More by secondtooth
jjanega08

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

I heard a lot of buzz around this beer and when I saw it at the liquor store I knew I had to pick up a couple. I split one with two friends and here's how it went....
A= not too bad pretty basic. classic fizzy yellow color with a tiny head that falls quickly with no lacing.
S= things went down hill from here. wow what was I thinking. this one smells like those jalepenos in a jar at the store but worst. there's the smell of the crappy beer in it as well that sort of makes it smell like someone puked up those jalepenos and wanted you to drink the mess.
T= after seeing my friends reactions i was growing more interested. I took my sip. sort of tastes like a warm corona not bad. then i swallowed. the back was where the heat was. Not overly hot but just enough to make this beer a mess. The feeling of this beer in my belly made me want to throw up.
M= average mouthfeel. this beer was awful but you know they mouthfeel wasn't as bad as some others.
D= never never again. I refuse to drain pour a beer just because I personally think its a little silly. I'm a little tight with my money so if beer is there it's gonna get drunk. If I would have drank this on my own who knows. The sick feeling I got from this beer resting in my belly lasted for quite a while and pretty much cut me off that night. If I would have drank another beer I would have become quite queezy I think. Not the best experience.

01-14-2009 15:07:05 | More by jjanega08
AdamBear

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

A-golden yellow, pours a white head that quickly fades to nothing at all. lots of bubbles.

S-smells like loaded nachos with nacho cheese and jalapeños. medium scent. fairly gross.

T-wow, this packs a lot of heat. it tastes like a super spicy jalapeño with an after-taste of nacho cheese. this beer has lots of flavor and punch. the spiciness lasts. it simply just isn't how you want a drink to be. the flavors are way too intense.

M-medium carbonation that stings the mouth

O-definitely a chili beer, but its way too over bearing for me to be enjoyable in any respect. i took 2 tastes and down the drain it went. this beer only caters to a very select group of individuals.

05-08-2011 07:14:56 | More by AdamBear
StoutHunter

2.48/5  rDev +21%

I picked up a bottle of Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had a couple chili beers before and found them to be hit or miss pending on their balance so lets see what I am getting myself into with this beer. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 12oz bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A- The label on this beer beer looks pretty plain but it doesn't look bad, the real attention grabber is the green chili sitting at the bottom of the clear bottle, it looks a little intimidating. It poured a very clear pale straw yellow color with a finger and a half of white head that disappeared in two seconds to nothing, I have never seen a head die this fast.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty much dominated by the chili. I can only pick up a real slight aroma of biscuity and grainy malts. The aroma is pretty much all green chili but there also is an aroma similar to pickled jalapenos, the aroma is all about the chili and nothing else.

T- The taste starts of with a Pilsner like taste with some biscuity malts, but that only lasts for a split second till you are bombarded with chili peppers. The taste goes from fresh green chili pepper to pickled jalapeno to fresh red chili's, pretty much just like a hand full of random hot peppers. The finish had a pretty big warming burn to it, it starts in your throat and goes all the way down to you stomach to provide a steady burn for several minutes, it even makes my lips burn and my forehead sweat. I can already tell I am going to need a hand full of tums after I finish this bad boy.

M- Spicy and light bodied with medium carbonation. The body suits the light lager base of this beer.

Overall I thought beer was pretty mediocre. Balance goes a long way with these beers and is what separates a good chili beer from a bad one. This beer didn't have good balance, I could barely taste the base of this beer, the chili peppers dominated everything and didn't let anything else shine through. This has to be the hottest chili beer I have had with Dragonmeads Ring of Fire being the only beer that comes close hotness wise. Drinkability was very poor, I struggled to drink the second half of this beer, it just didn't stop burning, you would have to be a glutton for punishment to want to drink more then one of these. I do think this would make a great beer to cook with, I can only imagine how good some chili or beer can chicken would be with this beer in it. What I liked most about this beer was the reaction I got from letting my friends take a sip, and what I liked least about this beer was the lack of balance, there was so much chili in this beer that it overpowered everything. I would buy this again if I wanted to pull a prank on someone or for cooking but not for personal consumption. Unless you just love chili peppers you might want to avoid this beer. I just wasn't impressed with beer, it was pretty much a chili bomb and it tore my stomach up, looks like I will be popping tums all night. This beer was exactly what it claimed to be, but it was just too hot and too much for me.

07-23-2011 04:47:21 | More by StoutHunter
Amalak

I didn't realize that they could bottle Tabasco sauce and pass it off as beer. Because that's all this is. You can miss the bottle, because it has a giant green pepper in it.

It's as spicy as hell and leaves a horrible burning from my mouth to about halfway down my trachea. It actually fizzes as you poor it into a glass.

I was worried about getting a disease while drinking this, and while I don't mind dying slowly from alcohol intake, I'd rather not have it be from a single crap beer.

02-16-2009 08:16:03 | More by Amalak
beerwolf77

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

I understand this is a novelty beer. So I will review it as such. Poured into my pint glass the beer is pale golden yellow with not a hint of head. So at this point I'm rethinking my descision to even attempt to drink this beer. I will soldier on for the sake of knowledge.

The aroma is what I imagine satans breath would be like. Pure jalapeno with traces of sweet adjuncts. Once again I pause and take stock of what I'm about to ingest. Part of me wants to just pour this beer down the drain and move on. The masochist in me feels the need to give it a go. Damn testosterone.

The flavor is.... if it's possible, worse then I expected. Hot jalapenos and sweet corn. Why would someone think this was a good idea? this one if the worst things I've ever tasted. If I could give it a zero I would.

As far as body goes I have no idea. I can't possibly let this sit in my mouth long enough to get a gauge on it. So lets just say light and carbonated.

Overall no suprises here. This is an abomination of a beverage. I might have a better chance at choking down battery acid. I could see cooking chili and pouring it in for flavor. This is it's one and only redeeming quality.

12-03-2009 00:18:26 | More by beerwolf77
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.41/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

330ml bottle from Peckhams (Glasgow) for £1.49:
Light straw with a 2mm bubbly head that disappears very fast.

Corn with lager malts and a huge amount of spice coming from the chili in the bottle. There is chili naturally, as well as some very light sweetness and a faint touch of hops.

Bland & watery with some corn followed by a overpowering taste of chili peppers that is very spicy but not in a good way. Very warm on the tongue but other than that is is a plain beer.

Light & thin bodied with a really spicy taste that is warm on the palate and lingers for far too long.

A shockingly poor beer that tastes disgusting in parts and cheap throughout. It was spicy yet somehow still seemed bland and the taste (other than chili peppers) was non-existent. Nothing but a gimmick that should never have made it onto the market.

09-20-2013 09:50:39 | More by flyingpig
Jimmys

2.95/5  rDev +43.9%

330mL bottle into tulip. best before 01-12-13.

A: crystal clear golden body with a fizzy white head. head diminishes quickly to nothing. no lacing. and theres something floating in there as well. it looks like a green turd with a stem. further investigation to follow.

S: pickle juice. chili pepper. you can almost smell the heat from the pepper.

T: starts subtle/boring until the heat of the pepper really overtakes the palate, doesnt let any other hop/malt flavors come across. not that i believe there is much there. this brew is all about the chili. as this sips continue, similar to many things spicy, the heat becomes much more manageable.

M: the heat of the pepper gives some kind of fizz on an otherwise average/below average carb on a light body.

D: take it for what it is. slightly gimmicky, but delivers the heat of the chili pepper in the form of a beer. i have never had a chili beer quite like this one. i dont think this is a despicable beer, just not for everyone. now do i dare eat the pepper....?

03-09-2012 01:14:43 | More by Jimmys
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

1.38/5  rDev -32.7%

Consumed 4/13/12

Note: I am way too excited to drink this beer. I feel like I'm about to watch one of the worst movies ever made, except I am actually putting the disaster into my body.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color, completely loses any resemblance of a head within seconds - looks completely flat within a minute of pouring - thanks to the utter lack of carbonation it barely looks like a beer

Smell: Basically just smells like old chili peppers - not a far cry from the aroma you get by opening an old jar of jalapeño salsa - this is not necessarily a bad smell, but this is not a beer smell - there might be some hints of sweet, grainy malts, but this may just be the product of my expectations

Taste: I've never been raped, but I think the experience of drinking this beer might be similar, at least for my taste buds; I might need professional counseling here - starts off with the flavor of an awful adjunct lager - corn, rice, an unexpected amount of sweetness - fortunately, this purely awful base lager is effectively torched with a flamethrower - a decent amount of heat, I'd compare it to a jalapeño-level burn - unfortunately, there is some nasty vegetal sweetness and weirdness here, disgusting to the extent that it invalidates any positive qualities of the heat - honestly, the only redeeming factor of this is the heat, everything else is brutally, unforgivably, indescribably awful

Mouthfeel: Medium body, pretty sticky, utterly lacking carbonation, and it's got that chili burn

Overall: The fact that I am drinking this beer makes me question my decision-making ability

This is a drain pour, and I legitimately feel bad for the drain. Honestly, this is so terrible that I almost regret buying it. It tastes like hatred, misery, and sadness. The only beer that I can place in the same level of hell as this nightmare is Samuel Adams Triple Bock. I think I feel tears forming in my eyes, and it's not from the heat. This is bottled agony.

04-13-2012 06:11:21 | More by angrybabboon
THECPJ

Delaware

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: props for putting a jalapeno in the beer so that has some curb appeal. golden yellow with 1 finger head that dissipates quickly.

smell: chili pepper, lager yeast,

taste: chili pepper, lager yeast, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin to medium body,

overall: this is more of a novelty beer then anything else. But I had to buy when I saw it. I'm a hophead but I also love heat. : )

Cheers,
The CPJ

10-13-2011 16:46:07 | More by THECPJ
FreshHawk

A - Light clear gold with a very thin, almost non-existing white head. No lacing, and of course there is a pepper floating around (I didn't pour it in the glass, but honestly it probably wouldn't matter).

S - Searing jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. A number of other peppery smells. Hint of corn adjunct lager. Actually if you are looking for a very peppery chile beer, this might be a decent smelling beer.

T - Light dull tasting corn lager is the underlying base. This is always in the background. Upfront is the strong jalapeño juice and tabasco sauce. Pretty hot and spicy, but not bad or unbearable; however definitely not good or enjoyable.

M - Light and fizzy with lots of carbonation. Hot and tingly presence throughout the mouth that linger more than I wish it would.

D - I struggled to finish this one. After the first couple of sips, the novelty wore off and I was stuck with something I didn't really want to drink. Unfortunately, this is not one to chug, so I was stuck with it for a while.

Notes: I would say it is worth trying once just to see how bad it is and as a novelty drink. Even without all the pepper taste this would be a bad beer. This is not just a bad beer, it is an offensive one. The kind of beer that takes your mother out to dinner, shows her a good time, and never calls again. I have a policy of no drain pours, this beer tested that policy and stretched to the limit. Oh and if you are drinking this beer, you might as well eat the pepper, as it is probably the least offensive part, and lost essentially all of its heat so it is a slightly waxy, pulpy shell of a jalapeño.

02-18-2012 09:03:12 | More by FreshHawk
BierFan

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce clear glass bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Small fizzy white head vanished as quickly as it appeared. The pale green chili floating in the glass really ruins the appearance. Unsurprisingly the smell is a combination of a pale lager and peppers. Not only does it taste like chili peppers but it's also a little spicy which for some reason I was not expecting.

I enjoyed the novelty of this beer but overall it was just a little too wierd and gross for me and the last bit of beer was poured down the drain.

04-09-2009 05:01:25 | More by BierFan
snaotheus

Washington

2.55/5  rDev +24.4%

12 bottle (of course) poured into a pint glass (with the chili, which I'll eat at the end of this review)

Pours a clear piss-yellow, very bubbly and carbonated but no head at all (and clearly no lacing). Smell is malt-liquory -- sweet and malty -- with a very noticeable pepper presence and a little lager smell in the background.

Taste is not as spicy as I would have expected from the rumors. I get more green pepper taste than spicy sensation from it (but I did have tacos for dinner that were actually spicy). A lot of sweetness, heavy on malts, more of the malt liquor and lager theme, some sour dusty kind of aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin and surprisingly flat for as carbonated and bubbly as this beer is. It's fairly middle of the road drinkable for me...lots of stuff I would choose over this, but I would choose this over BMC without hesitation.

As for the pepper...it's bland, leathery, and unpleasant.

01-15-2010 01:46:04 | More by snaotheus
cdkrenz

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

A - The look is unique in that there's a chili pepper hangin' out at the bottom of the bottle. Once poured the head is bright with and fast paced. It stood at about an inch and a half while at its peak but fades quickly to a topless surface revealing a golden yellow body.

S - It's a cross between a Mexican restaurant and a wayside bathroom in northern Illinois.

T - It's spicy.

M - It makes the back of my throat hurt.

~ I'm sorry but I can't do this.

08-30-2009 21:22:23 | More by cdkrenz
Goliath

2.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a pale golden color with excellent clarity. I got a two finger foamy head with an aggressive pour. Terrible retention and no lacing.

The aroma is...well...seemingly appropriate for a chili beer. The chili in the nose definitely dominates. It just screams spicey. But definitely chili peppers, and some sweet pale malt is in the distance. It's faint, but in there.

The taste is not so good. A sort of skunky lager with some stale pale malt and a huge kick of jalepenos. It's slightly sweet, but the spice just overwhelms the palate and lingers in the back of your throat. Very unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonation is fairly low.

Drinkability is incredibly low. The flavor of this beer is not very good, and it is definitely overwhelming. I can't see sitting down and drinking the whole bottle comfortably. I have used it as a marinade in the past and that seems to work just fine.

09-16-2008 14:33:19 | More by Goliath
hustlesworth

1.5/5  rDev -26.8%

A- the head (if that's what you wanna call it) literally fizzled away in less than a second, faster than i could even pour. interesting seeing a chili pepper in the bottle. clear golden, lots of rising bubbles but no foam what so ever.

S- smells of cheap beer and hot pepper at first, then the beer aroma is almost completely masked by smoked green chili.

T- ok, i like hot foods, but this is ridiculous. it's hot as shit, not mind numbingly hot like scotch bonnets, but plenty uncomfortable. serrano chili is a hot pepper, and only a sliver would have been necessary to add a good deal of flavor to this beer. somewhat salty with a faint beer flavor, this is more like drinking the liquid from a jar of preserved chilis.

MF- fizzy, numbing, and hot.

D- this beer goes overboard in almost every way. you would have to love chilis with every ounce of passion in your body to drink this stuff. might actually be decent if there wasn't a whole damn pepper in the bottle.

03-08-2009 22:25:04 | More by hustlesworth
MisterClean

2.48/5  rDev +21%

April fools joke, thanks loki.

A - Pours golden with 1 finger of white head. Dissipates moderately and leaves nice lacing. Serrano chile is in the bottom of the glass.

S/T - Serrano chiles, adjunct - possibly corn, and high amounts of acidity, which may be vinegar.

M - Light bodied, chile, er I mean malt dominated.

D - After 3 sips, the novelty wore off. Chile is just over-powering.

04-04-2010 22:19:35 | More by MisterClean
riversider76

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a thin head. No retention or laceing. Aroma is of hot peppers and salsa. Body is thin with some carbonation. Taste is pretty one dimentional,chili, chili and more chili.Little bit of a light lager comes through as well. Never had this style before, but it was intresting.I like hot and spicey,but would caution against this if you don't.

04-27-2009 23:21:41 | More by riversider76
Lemke10

1.63/5  rDev -20.5%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of an M&M 6pack from Binny’s in Plainfield, IL in summer 2012.

Pours a clear, light amber color with a slight head that disappears very quickly. Has that smell of cheap Corona with a slight pepper scent. Tasty is rather watery but the chili pepper does come back with a bite. Doesn’t really taste like a beer, it tastes more like water that some threw some Tabasco into. This seems less like a beer and more like something someone would only drink on a dare. Can totally understand the 0 rating.

08-19-2012 05:29:49 | More by Lemke10
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is slightly hazy murky gold color. The head recedes immediately to nothing, but I'm not even sure there was a head to begin.

The aroma is faint pepper, and meats?

The taste is slightly sweet, malts appear before being coated with a spicy, peppery heat.

Mouthfeel is light, watery.

Overall: Not a lot here, just a watery pint of faint heat.

02-03-2014 20:35:35 | More by JuicesFlowing
LXIXME

New Mexico

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from above the glass gives you a small white head that dies as quickly as you can set the bottle down. The small green chili in the bottle is the only saving grace in the appearance, just for novelties sake. This light bodied beer has a clear golden color similar to most light American lagers.

The aroma is just hot chili, and this transfers to the taste, just hot green chili. I'm not sure that hot green chili was meant to be drank like this although I think the green chili used would make awesome enchiladas. Even the aftertaste has a green chili hotness to it, this beer would probably be better used as a cooking aid instead of a stand alone drink.

12-11-2011 20:48:42 | More by LXIXME
yamar68

2.84/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I asked for chili beers and alelover called my bluff - well played Joel... well played.

Pours like something you shouldn't drink. Sort of an orange/yellow color that sits in the glass like apple juice.

Little to no heat on the schnoz... soft wheat and pils notes... some bready yeast and a suggestion of heat.

Honestly... not as atrocious as I expected. It's a flat pilsner with a chili pepper zing on the finish. It might make for a decent spicy beer if they didn't put a whole fucking pepper in the bottle. Why would you do that? It's cute, but it completely destroys the feel of the beer.

Boring. Spicy.

It's boring and spicy.

06-07-2013 03:19:59 | More by yamar68
NODAK

Tennessee

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

This really smells like pickled peppers. Vinegar. At first it smelled spicy but it just settles down into a vinegar type of aroma backed with a very thin macro lager aroma. That isn't what I wanted to smell in a beer.

Certain things have to be tasted to be believed. This is one. Not saying you really WANT to try this, but you just can't believe the taste until you try it. You know, at first it isn't that bad as far as heat is concerned. Yes, it's gross...it tastes like pickled peppers...but it isn't abusive. And then, it happens...it turns hot. Really quite hot. I'm getting heartburn nearly immediately. This is just awful. Terrible. Probably the worst beer I've ever had. Nothing redeemable. I get nothing else out of the taste here....just heat. I may as well drink the juice out of a jalapeno jar.

Do I need to really say much more?

02-02-2012 04:30:44 | More by NODAK
BeerImmediately

1.7/5  rDev -17.1%

Had this in the beer fridge for a while, avoiding it out of pure fear. In the spirit of New Beer Sunday, decided to confront my fear this afternoon.

Poured a clear yellow color, with a head that bolted like lightning. Zero lacing, plenty of visible carbonation though.

Smell - well, let's see, um, how do I describe this? Hot Pepper. Yep, that's it. Given that I'm reviewing this against the STYLE, I have to give this a 3 for smelling like "Chile Beer".

Taste - like an average american adjunct lager that has been eaten, digested, and regurgitated by that pepper sitting in the bottom of the bottle.

Thin mouthfeel which was biting and hot on the back of the throat ... wish I had a couple chips to cool this off.

Not the least bit drinkable - maybe in the right setting like a tasting with a lot of mexican food. Have no idea how people buy a case of this, but saw about 10 piled up at Shangy's the other day, and this shocked me almost as much as the beer itself.

03-22-2009 21:59:47 | More by BeerImmediately
DmanGTR

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - served and consumed from the bottle, as it seemed most appropriate as such. Had a chili pepper in it. Urea yellow, crystal clear in a clear bottle. The chili is so cool!

S - wow this smells like bud with Tabasco sauce. Or the juice of canned jalapeno peppers... interesting....

T - tastes like colt 45 with jalapeno juice. Pretty spicy and tickles the throat. A bit hot. Spicy!! Again, it is very interesting...

M - light bodied, pretty carbonated and hot.

D - I would not get this again

Overall - Thanks to my buddy pH for getting me this. Definitely a shock factor, I have never seen a chili pepper in a beer before. However catchy, it certainly does not have the taste of a proper beer. All I get from this is perhaps a malt liquor flavor without the alcohol and Tabasco sauce. So basically, a macro adjunct lager with hot sauce. It's quite the gag gift but for enjoyment, I think you need a certain palate that most people do not have. Definitely interesting, but not my cup of tea (or pint of beer).

04-03-2009 05:51:31 | More by DmanGTR
Original C Cave Creek Chili Beer - Cerveza Con Chili from Chili Beer Co.