Follow our progress ...

Fever Dream Mango Habanero IPAFever Dream Mango Habanero IPA

Flying Dog Brewery
Maryland, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Jim and Pam. Forest and Jenny. Snoop and Mary Jane. For our brewers, that couple that makes us all weak in the knees is Mango and Habanero.

The combination of sweet mango and bold habanero pepper has always been a favorite in casks of Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPA, which inspired one brewer in particular to pitch a Mango Habanero IPA for our Brewhouse Rarities series.

Brewhouse Rarities Mango Habanero IPA was released in February 2014 and flew off the shelves faster than we could brew it. We’re no psychics, but we took that as a sign that you wanted more. And after running it as a tasting room throwback late last year, our imaginary crystal ball was clear that this Mango Habanero IPA was ready to graduate to our year-round roster. Giving it a name that invokes the feeling of conquering an invading tribe, we now bring you Fever Dream.

Fever Dream showcases a beautiful trifecta of fruit, heat and tropical fruit-forward hops. The balance of spicy and sweet that has been expertly dialed in, with the heat factor falling into the category where you can enjoy a few pints, rather than just one. We recommend trying this with your favorite Thai foods and curry, or on it’s own if food isn’t your thing.

Added by Titans77 on 02-15-2014

Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 147
Reviews by bmur112:
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Flying Dog Brewery "Fever Dream Mango Habanero IPA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "ENJOY BY 08.10.16A" on 03.29.16
$1.99 @ Giant, Haverford, PA

Decent enough appearance. Decent enough aroma. I love the citrus/tropical fruit. That carries over into the flavor, of course, and it's not overdone. The malt comes through, moderately grainy and gently sweet and it's nicely balanced by a solid bitterness, exactly as an IPA should be. But where is the habanero? I don't get the heat. I don't get the flavor. Oh, there it is. It slowly rolls up on you. That's good, I like that. Too much heat right up front isn't a good thing. Here I can enjoy the beer for much longer before I'm palate fatigued. With each sip it gets just a little bit hotter, and now I can actually smell the pepper in the aroma (I'm not sure if that's because it's building in my mouth, or if it's because the beer is warming a bit). The mango remains and it's nice, it's juicy and refreshing - and then there's the heat on the back end. I wasn't really expecting to like this but I do. I'd have another. And I don't usually do this in a review, but I thought that Ballast Point's Habanero Sculpin was probably the best pepper IPA I'd had up until now. This might beat it. Of course I have to drink the whole thing, and I'm writing this with the beer in front of me so give me a minute or two.... (or 30, it's not exactly a pounder!). So, I made it through, and I believe I could have another. I wouldn't want to, but it would not be out of the realm of possibilities (as it would be for a second bottle of Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer!). The heat builds but it doesn't seem to ever pass a certain threshold. I've got to hand it to Flying Dog, they've been doing some interesting stuff and pulling it off, and this might be their best attempt yet.

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

12 oz bottle, with best before dating printed on the label.

Pours lightly hazed typical amber, khaki cap, stays nicely, and leaves nice froth, a thicker film and collar and estensive ringed sheeting/lave..nice looking beer.

Hopped up and fresh tasting sniff, with pepper notes in the rear.

Hops and chili..yum yum...both up front and burning here....bold and flavorful with more then average chili burn...hot but not too hot..in my humble opinio...wont be for everybody...but I found it to be quite enjoyable with the hops and chili somewhat in balance...chili heads go get some and enjoy

3.45/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev 0%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.96/5  rDev +1%

3.41/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on tap at Max's Taphouse (3/11/14)

A: Hazy copper. Decent lacing.

S: Sweetness. Light hops. Peppery.

T: The cask cuts through the heat and leaves only a lingering pepper taste. Not much of an IPA and a bit watery. Low hops.

M: Smooth. Low carbonation. Watery.

O: Maybe the cask killed it but this is a far cry from the best of this type that I've had, Stone's Ruination - Tropical Heat version. Can't wait for the Mint Chocolate Stout.

3.69/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%