Mint Chocolate Stout - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: illeagle05 on 04-01-2014

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mint Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.31/5  rDev +0.9%

Has a sweet chocolate smell and taste with a cooling mint now towards the finish. I could understand why people would like this but it's not for me. I'm glad beers as unique as this exist but I won't be drinking it again. (221 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +40.9%

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with an eighth of a finger of caramel-colored head that completely dissolved away into an incredibly thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Wow! Really, aromatic! Great aromas of roasted malt, dark chocolate and tons of mint! The beer smells like Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies! Awesome!

Taste: Exactly like the aroma. Tons of roasted malt up front, imparting flavors of freshly baked dark bread, immediately followed by lots of dark chocolate and mint! It is Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies, but in a beer! Delicious!

Mouthfeel: A little thin, unfortunately. I was expecting and left desiring a much chewier and/or creamier mouthfeel, but alas, it’s on the thin side. With an ABV of 5.7%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is an extremely good beer! Tons of great flavors of malt, mint and dark chocolate. The only thing keeping this from being an exceptional or world-class beer is the thin mouthfeel. If it was chewier or creamy it would be so much better! Oh, that an a higher ABV would be nice too, like maybe another three percentage points! (1,209 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Draft poured into a tulip glass. Pours a nice dark body with a tan head, smell is overwhelmingly of mint and hints of chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is predominately that of the mint, with plenty of bitterness and roasted malt. Little to no taste of chocolate. Decent mouthfeel, medium carbonation. Overall interesting attempt at a well known and well loved flavor combination. Could have worked out better, would have liked more chocolate forwardness and maybe some lactose to mimic ice cream better. Kinda one note. (525 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Like drinking a junior mint. Definitely different but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this offering. Flavorful but just not my thing. Kudos to trying something unique flavor wise without drowning if in booze. (211 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Guinness glass.

Appearance: Brown-black and opaque. Very small tan head.

Smell: Sweet mint and chocolate, also a bit of toffee. Not that far removed from a Girl Scout thin mint.

Taste: Oh, this is sadly very watery. The mint is there in the front, but it's kind of like mint toothpaste. Behind it, the rest of the chocolate stout is pretty weak, too. I'm sure getting what they wanted was an ambitious task, but I don't think this was it.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin, although the mint makes the finish a little more interesting.

Overall: Not a pour, but I wouldn't buy again. (604 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

This stout pours a deep brown color, not unlike Coca-Cola, with a thin tan cap of antique white foam. The aroma instantly brings forth the idea of Junior Mints or Andes confections, with companions of roasted malt and dark fruit esters in tow. Unfortunately, the flavor itself is a major letdown. It is very thin and watery. Some level of decent points were awarded here because there are traces of a decent stout here, it just could be so much more. There's also some sort of oxidized off flavor present. The mouthfeel is not what one would be looking for, it is not creamy or velvety in the slightest. The finish leaves a ghost of the mint leaf on the palate. Unless I received a bad bottle, this is not recommended. (718 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

My backlog keeps reducing, almost to the point that I CAN resume The CANQuest (TM), which is what really matters.

From the bottle: "Disconnected from the world below, the entire brewery team congregates atop a historic overlook each year to develop beers that shatter the confines of traditional styles. The only criteria lies in a few simple words from the Good Doctor: 'Too weird to live, too rare to die.' - Hunter S. Thompson"; "Drink local beer".

This, too, may seem an unlikely choice for me, unless you are a Girl Scout or the parent of one. My cookie Achilles heel are those Thin Mints, which are better than sex (at times) and I hope that this comes close in terms of taste. I have long copped to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers and although The Old Lady and some random chick at Garage have taken me to task for it, I like the visual of the pseudo-cascade, the creating of some head and especially, the release of the inherent esters. In this case, the mint was prevalent. I could smell it immediately upon beginning the pour, which created just over a finger of soapy, light-tan head which fell pretty quickly, leaving just a skim in its wake. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I know that I have been alluding to ice cream in a lot of my reviews of late, but the combination of cool/cold and aroma/taste just puts me in that frame of mind. The mint, combined with the alcohol, put me in mind of Creme de Menthe or a Grasshopper. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, not what I would expect in a stout. I was kind of surprised by its taste, which seemed to be dominated by the mint. What happened to the chocolate?!? How much mint did they employ to be able to overcome both chocolate and dark malts? This was okay, but with some tweaking, it could be much better. Finish was entirely minty, which rendered it a little too mouthwash-like. Yeah, I was minty fresh, but the chocolate just took too much of a backseat for me to really get behind this one. (2,057 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a borderline pitch black color. The head is about a finger high - khaki in shade - with poor retention. Neither does the head have a particularly creamy texture. A tiny amount of lacing is left on the glass.

S: Whoa, I can tell immediately there's too much mint. On the plus side, the mint isn't entirely one-note - it seemingly smells like it has notes of cinnamon and ginger, as well. I'm also getting some wisps of dark chocolate. Actually, it becomes less minty and more chocolaty as it warms up. It never quite impresses me, but it definitely grows on me.

T: Like I feared, there's a bit too much mint flavor. After the minty opening, it becomes more stout-like, ending with a roasted coffee flavor. The big problem is simple: aside from the mint notes being overdone, they simply clash with the stout notes. I'd even suggest it's rather medicinal-tasting. Another problem: almost no chocolate. :(

M: Wow, this is dry. Dry and biting, with intense carbonation. Light, too. Even if I'm less than enthusiastic about the flavor profile, at least it goes down easy.

O: For the record, I think - if done right - a mint chocolate stout can be really good. After all, who doesn't love liquefied Andes? Unfortunately, Flying Dog overdid the mint, and ergo the end result is really lacking. But it's not completely worthless - the base stout is decent, and it's easy to drink. It could even become good with a few tweaks (read: less mint). (1,481 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli in Drexel Hill, PA. It was a complete, random selection. Let's see how it goes.

Appearance: Pours a dark black, very tan head, almost guniness-like and the head is about 2-inches and a perfect example of a stout. Pretty impressive.

Smell: Overwhelming power of junior mint-like scents. Pretty hard to detect other aromas, but I was able to gather some hints of chocolate, little bit of coffee-like malts and dark roasted toffee, but very stereotypical in the sense of stouts. In my personal opinion, the mint kind of kills the otherwise typical brew in it's nature. Not impressed.

Taste: Upon first sips, overpowering and overwhelming flavors of mint that really do not contribute to the overall flavor of the beer in a positive way. Some stout-like flavors, up to and including dark, roasted almond-like flavors, very little in the hop department, some dark chocolate flavors. Not very good.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, light carbonation. Can't see any bubbles. Pretty typical.

Overall: Coming into this brew, I was kind of excited to taste something different. Mint chocolate was something that definitely stuck out visually. However, the more I went into it, the less impressed I was. Interesting take on the category, but unimpressive. Next time I hope they try better. I would not recommend this beer to a friend. Cheers! (1,400 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Smells minty with a little chocolate, like an Andes mint.

Body is a little light and too sharply carbonated for a stout. Taste-wise, the mint is there but tastes a little artificial. It is indeed balanced by some sweet chocolate with a little lactose. There's not much in the way of roasty flavors.

Overall, I like my stouts a little more "stout." This one seems to be missing some body and depth of flavor. A decent dark beer for the warmer months though. (458 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Now this is a trend I love to see, an “extreme beer” that is not pushing the limits of alcohol or hops but a handful of ingredients to take it clearly outside of the box. Smell and nearly tastes like a box of Junior Mints, thankfully there is enough Stout flavor to remind us this is truly a beer. (301 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

what a wonderful beer i dont like minty things but when i saw this i had to try it , with a pure black in my glass and minty taste of a girl scout cookie which i hadnt had in years if your looking for something diffrent then you should enjoy it drink up (253 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle from BeerMeDuffMan (thanks man!). Bottled 2/18/14. Served in a goblet.

Pours a mahogany tinted, deep soda brown with a little over two fingers of pale sand hued head. Not much foam lingers but it leaves a fair bit of lace.

Smells of thin mints, roasted grains and burnt sugar.

Flavor is in the vein of mint chocolate cookies but comes across a little more like extract. Cocoa, mint, strange metallic note, semi-burnt malt and some caramel. The taste kind of falls apart as bitter metallic notes overtake the mint and chocolate.

Thin body with relatively high carbonation. Metallic finish with distinctly bitter traces of dark cocoa and mint.

A nice attempt at mint chocolate but for my tastes it almost seems as if they gave up half way through it's creation. Thin, weak and a tad abrasive with it's metallic bitterness without. Not bad but nothing I care to repeat. (887 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A- Very dark brown body with a thin, light tan head that settles quickly.

S- Lots of mint right away, some hints of dark chocolate. Smells like a petter mint patty.

T- A blast of mint right away, with some roasty, chocolate malts coming through in the middle, but not a lot. Finish is very minty with hints of sweetness.

M- Medium bodied, medium carbonation, somewhat prickly.

O- Not sure why there is so much hate for this one. A beer called "Mint Chocolate Stout" that is very minty? Sounds like Flying Dog accomplished what they set out to do. I will say that this is one that I could not drink several of in one sitting because it is very flavorful and has a lot of sweetness. (684 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is an utterly dark, nearly black beverage. The smell is reminiscent of the thin mint Girl Scout cookies. I didn't think that I would enjoy the combination, and I am still not sure that it is suited to beer, but the smell of this brew is really engaging. The taste is Druids hand not quite as good as the smell. Alkylated chocolate and some roasted grain notes, along with the mint are all present in the taste. The body is full, but doesn't have an outstanding depth. This one is a very interesting brew, but sot one I would have a lot of. (549 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You must let this one warm up first
I poured this into a tulip glass, it has a black color body with a small tan head. ithe aroma has a very strong mint to it with some chocolate. The taste has a mint flavor upfront then the chocolate come to play. I also get a little roastyness. The mouthfeel is good and over all a good stout
Taste like choc mint ice cream. (360 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip. Appearance is dark brown with a tan head that dissipates fairly quickly, but not as quickly as many other stouts. The smell is very nice, very minty with a hint of chocolate behind it, almost smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Tastes is much in line with smell with some other herbal notes in there as well. Feels slightly thin but being under 6% alcohol that is understandable, carbonation is fine. Overall this is a nice beer, very easy to drink with good flavors. It is also a nice experience, reminding me of childhood days eating mint chocolate chip ice cream on a nice sunny day. I would to have this again if I saw it. (671 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -58.5%

Felt like this had NO taste/flavor! No mint, no chocolate and really thing for a stout! Tried it out of the bottle and in a glass. Never tried Flying Dog OR any Mint Chocolate Stouts prior. Not worth the money. Why does my comment length have to be 250-5000? (258 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First of all... I find it hard reviewing many beers as many do not stand out in any way that would even warrant a review. I have had a whopping 3 mint-chocolate style beers, this being the third. I have, since the first one I tried (Spring House Satan's Bake Sale), been very intrigued by this style of beer and have since been on the lookout for this type of beer.

That being said, this is an impressive beer. I do not understand all the hate for this brew. Is it one of the best beers I have had? No. But it is unique and exciting to drink. I have read reviews that express disinterest by virtue of it being labeled a "stout." Some people complain that there is no chocolate flavor in this beer. If you cannot taste the chocolate, maybe there is something wrong with your taste buds. Maybe you are some crazy craft brew nut job who will compare this to something like Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout or Southern Tier Choklat, which are basically just liquid chocolate beers.

This is a solid ale with abundantly roasted malts and moderate chocolate and mint undertones. The aroma is distinctly minty and accurately eludes to its distinct mint-chocolate flavor. I do not know how to characterize it aside from exactly how it tastes. Perhaps the disappointment is in it not tasting like a glass of melted mint chocolate ice-cream? I don't know. It is a beer flavored with mint and chocolate. It is very obviously not syrupy and very fresh.

I would recommend this beer to anyone who can appreciate a maltier style ale and the taste of mint and chocolate.

I do not worship this brewery and would not consider any of their beers a favorite of mine, except maybe this one.

Good job, Flying Dog. (1,696 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE
Color: Dark (seal) brown color.
Head: Little-to-no head
Viscosity: very light

AROMA
Mint: Distinct and overpowering
Cocoa: very subtle (almost lost amidst the mint)

PALATE
Taste: Disappointingly almost no cocoa. Lasting mint aftertaste, which may be the only achievement of this brew. Slight hops.
Body: too light for a stout
Carbonation: seems hurried and forced halfheartedly. It's lost substantially if poured turbulently.

PRICE:
Mid-range. Doesn't live up to it's price tag. (492 characters)

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Dark, dark brown that is quite opaque. Minimal lacing with no head. Slight head on the pour that diminished rapidly.

S: Roasted malts and that is about it. There is some coolness that is almost minty in the smell. Not sure if I would notice if this wasn't called a mint chocolate stout.

T: Such a let down. Even let it warm all the way up, but nothing at all along the way. Just dry roasted malts and that's it. Sickly tasting and not good.

M: Extremely smooth and that is it.

O: I swear I had some 17 Mint Chocolate Stout from Perennial and that was quite good. I'd heard bad things about this, but then I saw a thread on it and opinions were all over the place. But this is not good. For some reason their stouts just don't do it for me, which is surprising because their Gonzo porter is great, especially the BA version. Their Green Tea Imperial Stout was not good and I don't like their Oyster Stout, but it is probably just the style. (996 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I am not a fan period! the brew is thin with a weak stout backbone. The aroma was minty but nothing to write home about. All in all this beer was disappointing. Poured in a glass it showed promise but pouring it into the drain would have been more appropriate.

Bottom Line: Back to the drawling board. (303 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no obvious freshness date. Served in a Founders snifter.

Appearance: Pours black with less than a finger of a tan head that dissipates to a light wispy coating and thin collar. Body is opaque.

Smell: Peppermint, milk and dark chocolate, slight roast character. Pretty straight forward, but that's not a bad thing. Smells a lot like an Andes mint.

Taste: Similar profile, but more muted than in the nose. Peppermint, followed by chocolate are the most prominent flavors, but they seem almost watered down. Light sweetness lingers on the palate through to a finish that leads to a mild (very mild) minty, roasty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but thin mouthfeel. Medium/high, somewhat rough carbonation. Not terrible, but doesn't really work for the style.

Overall: Starts promising but falls apart a little bit in the taste and mouthfeel. Not that there's anything wrong with the beer per se, as the flavors that are there are nice and are blended together well. I just wish there was more of it. Worth picking up a single to try, but I wouldn't spring for a 6-pack. (1,093 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz. into modern stein mug.

A - Needs an aggressive pour to produce any respectable head. What does appear is a grey–tan, medium-density, finger-thick top that has little retention. Opaque, dark, practically black liquid.

S - Can pick out the mint which predominates. The chocolate is there, though not quite as intense and hidden behind the mint. Similar to Andes or a Peppermint Patty.

T - Leans even more towards the mint, though still delivers the chocolate. This is tossed (as opposed to balanced) on top what tastes a lot like their Gonzo Imperial Porter (which carries a very similar malt profile).

M - Fairly thin and oily for a darker brew; not the 'thick & chewy' most would associate with the color/style. Surprisingly bitter for the style as well; because they used Perle hops mostly this makes a lot of sense. Goes down easy none-the-less. Slightly minty after-taste.

O - A very unusual brew. Whether it's worth trying; how badly do you want to taste some mint and chocolate in a beer? If you really really want to then by all means give it a go, this one is much more a case of extreme preferences. I wish it would've been executed better, and find it difficult not to compare it to Gonzo Imperial Porter. Considering Mint Chocolate Stout (beyond being different styles) has black, caramel, and chocolate hops in common, drops the hop complexity down to just Perle, and drops the yeasts down to whitbread; all really makes me wonder what could really be achieved with this brew or something very similar. (1,527 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip pint.

appearance
Near black with a short tan head that dissipates quickly. Some light penetration along the edges.

Nose
Peppermint with hints of fudge and dark chocolate.

Taste
Mostly peppermint again. Thin veils of caramel and dark chocolate. There's really not too much going on here.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied and crisp with a slick mouthfeel.

Overall
It tastes like mint and goes down pretty easy. (443 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast