1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Mint Chocolate Stout - Flying Dog Brewery

Mint Chocolate StoutMint Chocolate Stout

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Stout |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: illeagle05 on 04-01-2014)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mint Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

bobv, Today at 04:08 AM

Buster, Saturday at 10:29 PM
3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Like drinking a junior mint. Definitely different but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this offering. Flavorful but just not my thing. Kudos to trying something unique flavor wise without drowning if in booze.

wiscokid920, Sep 10, 2014

JLapadura, Aug 01, 2014

Mrosato92, Jul 31, 2014

rydev24, Jul 28, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Guinness glass.

Appearance: Brown-black and opaque. Very small tan head.

Smell: Sweet mint and chocolate, also a bit of toffee. Not that far removed from a Girl Scout thin mint.

Taste: Oh, this is sadly very watery. The mint is there in the front, but it's kind of like mint toothpaste. Behind it, the rest of the chocolate stout is pretty weak, too. I'm sure getting what they wanted was an ambitious task, but I don't think this was it.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin, although the mint makes the finish a little more interesting.

Overall: Not a pour, but I wouldn't buy again.

fountainofyouth, Jul 26, 2014

malfunxion, Jul 25, 2014

MitsuDjentleman, Jul 22, 2014

DaveOrlowski, Jul 21, 2014

Slatetank, Jul 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

bret717, Jul 14, 2014
3.19/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3

This stout pours a deep brown color, not unlike Coca-Cola, with a thin tan cap of antique white foam. The aroma instantly brings forth the idea of Junior Mints or Andes confections, with companions of roasted malt and dark fruit esters in tow. Unfortunately, the flavor itself is a major letdown. It is very thin and watery. Some level of decent points were awarded here because there are traces of a decent stout here, it just could be so much more. There's also some sort of oxidized off flavor present. The mouthfeel is not what one would be looking for, it is not creamy or velvety in the slightest. The finish leaves a ghost of the mint leaf on the palate. Unless I received a bad bottle, this is not recommended.

Neorebel, Jul 13, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

KJ2013, Jul 11, 2014

mikefuski17, Jul 06, 2014
3.19/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

My backlog keeps reducing, almost to the point that I CAN resume The CANQuest (TM), which is what really matters.

From the bottle: "Disconnected from the world below, the entire brewery team congregates atop a historic overlook each year to develop beers that shatter the confines of traditional styles. The only criteria lies in a few simple words from the Good Doctor: 'Too weird to live, too rare to die.' - Hunter S. Thompson"; "Drink local beer".

This, too, may seem an unlikely choice for me, unless you are a Girl Scout or the parent of one. My cookie Achilles heel are those Thin Mints, which are better than sex (at times) and I hope that this comes close in terms of taste. I have long copped to using a heavy hand when pouring my beers and although The Old Lady and some random chick at Garage have taken me to task for it, I like the visual of the pseudo-cascade, the creating of some head and especially, the release of the inherent esters. In this case, the mint was prevalent. I could smell it immediately upon beginning the pour, which created just over a finger of soapy, light-tan head which fell pretty quickly, leaving just a skim in its wake. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I know that I have been alluding to ice cream in a lot of my reviews of late, but the combination of cool/cold and aroma/taste just puts me in that frame of mind. The mint, combined with the alcohol, put me in mind of Creme de Menthe or a Grasshopper. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, not what I would expect in a stout. I was kind of surprised by its taste, which seemed to be dominated by the mint. What happened to the chocolate?!? How much mint did they employ to be able to overcome both chocolate and dark malts? This was okay, but with some tweaking, it could be much better. Finish was entirely minty, which rendered it a little too mouthwash-like. Yeah, I was minty fresh, but the chocolate just took too much of a backseat for me to really get behind this one.

woodychandler, Jul 01, 2014