Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: oriolesfan4 on 05-06-2014

Reviews by Seanem44:
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Cloudy Golden. Frothy white head last entirety of drink.

S: A little weak, but I can smell hints of old bay.

T: I can taste the old bay, but it's good. Hints of orange maybe.

M: Refreshingly smooth. Best cold.

O: Frederick, MD. I grew up 18 miles away. I live in VA now but my roots there run deep. I had not heard of Dead Rise before my sister bought me a pack for my birthday. It was literally released a few weeks ago and my bottles were very fresh. An excellent ale would go great with a crab feast. The old bay taste is mild, but excellent. Might become my summer go to beer. I highly recommend. It's a winner.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #89 (June 2014):

Crisp, Spicy, Dry, Salty

Obviously a beer you can both drink and cook with food, no question at all. The Old Bay addition bounces extremely well off of the rye and wheat malt, the citrusy hop character pairs great as well. Very balanced between the beer and spicing. While this brew does not come off as a “one and done” beer it does call to be paired with food.

STYLE: Spiced Ale | ABV: 5.6% | AVAILABILITY: Summer

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I guess this beer has a cult following of crazy Old Bay aficionados, but seriously my local Beer Express has sold through a small palate of this stuff in a couple weeks they are down to one last case. I wanted to jump on a whole case, but I decided to pick up a sixer at Market District first.

First off it looks great in my glass, this stuff wreaks of Old Bay once you pry the cap off things get real. Hazed golden apricot hue in the body with a white billowing head great textures going on in the glass, fine even lacing left behind. By the way, I've seen Untappd pictures where the coat the brim of the glass with Old Bay...not even going there.

Smells fantastic, great citrus spice combo infused with Old Bay this beer begs for crab legs as a pairing, or if you have access a whole crab/lobster boil. You get an herbal, peppercorn, citrus combo with each sniff, I have my nose almost buried in this stuff. Big thumbs up on the aroma, let's see how she actually tastes.

Flavor becomes more perfume and too spiced on the palate with the initial sip. I love Old Bay as a spice, I don't limit it to seafood you can spice anything with it steaks, chicken, burgers it just works. I was expecting something like a gose with more salty character from the Old Bay, I don't even know if there's salt in Old Bay but I assume there is. As I continue to imbibe on this stuff, I realize it needs some food pairing. I had some left over chicken breast, and homemade fried rice...so I did some rehashed chicken fried rice with Cholula. Old Bay was used as a seasoning on these chicken breasts. For me it's night and day with food so much better as a compliment to something that stimulates your umami taste buds on the palate. It's a nice base unfiltered golden ale, refreshing with spice. Not much complexity just lingering bitter aspects of the Old Bay additions, peppercorns apparent mild citric notes, muddled powdered yeast and bitterness from the spices.

Mouthfeel, the spices leave the palate feeling like you walked into the room after someone sprayed way too much perfume. A harsh bitter spice, lighter bodied ale actually comes off much more refreshing with the food pairing. Carbonation dead on moderate feels pretty natural here.

Overall, I guess somebody had to use Old Bay in a beer this one is Dead Rise from Flying Dog and the bottle says it's licensed by McCormick to use Old Bay, and the proceeds benefit True Blue a group that supports the Maryland Blue Crab industry. Overall, not wowed and not feeling bad about trying this, it's just making me want to get some all you can eat crab legs.

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tried it out out of curiosity, assuming i wouldn't be into it. Not my favorite, (being a stout/IPA guy) but flying dog did a pretty good job on this. I like how you can feel the old bay as well as taste it.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pale straw in color. The nose does not really have the essence of Old Bay but the flavor certainly does - and it's not unpleasant.

The main problem with this offering is that it is a one trick pony. The blast of Old Bay is interesting but the base beer is far from enthralling.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Clear yellow color with a white soapy head and more than adequate lacing. Good clarity and though cold, poured with no haze.

SMELL: Wheat funk and old bay give off an initial impression of a crab bake. Repeated sips make one think of a wheat infused crab bake if such a thing ever did exist.

TASTE: A nice blend of spice and beer qualities. Wheat, corn, barley all tossed in the boil with some old bay, and tastes just like what they did, but the old bay transitions much better in flavor than aroma, which is actually my thought on the Old Bay seasoning in general.

FEEL: Full bodied, well carbonated, and remarkably clean given the use of spices. Certainly crisp even with the fuller body.

OVERALL: An interesting little beer here. Tasty enough it its own right, but honestly I would probably rather use this one to cook with somehow. I would not have a problem drinking the unused portion if I did.

3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I love crab and I love Old Bay so I figured I would like this beer...I did but in a small amount.Poured a clear light golden with a thinner but well sustained white head atop.Aromas had a bit of celery salt twang to it and biscuit malty sweetness.Celery salt hits hard on the palate with a tinge of hot red pepper and then more salt in the finish,dry malt to the finish.The Old Bay becomes a bit much after awhile,Iam astounded at how much Old Bay actually comes thru inthe nose and even more so on the palate.Glad I tried it but not for me in reallity.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

Smells like old bay, tastes like old bay - definitely old bay in this but still pretty good.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%