Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Ratings: 520 | Reviews: 61
Reviews by abkayak:
3.92/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I guess this beer has a cult following of crazy Old Bay aficionados, but seriously my local Beer Express has sold through a small palate of this stuff in a couple weeks they are down to one last case. I wanted to jump on a whole case, but I decided to pick up a sixer at Market District first.

First off it looks great in my glass, this stuff wreaks of Old Bay once you pry the cap off things get real. Hazed golden apricot hue in the body with a white billowing head great textures going on in the glass, fine even lacing left behind. By the way, I've seen Untappd pictures where the coat the brim of the glass with Old Bay...not even going there.

Smells fantastic, great citrus spice combo infused with Old Bay this beer begs for crab legs as a pairing, or if you have access a whole crab/lobster boil. You get an herbal, peppercorn, citrus combo with each sniff, I have my nose almost buried in this stuff. Big thumbs up on the aroma, let's see how she actually tastes.

Flavor becomes more perfume and too spiced on the palate with the initial sip. I love Old Bay as a spice, I don't limit it to seafood you can spice anything with it steaks, chicken, burgers it just works. I was expecting something like a gose with more salty character from the Old Bay, I don't even know if there's salt in Old Bay but I assume there is. As I continue to imbibe on this stuff, I realize it needs some food pairing. I had some left over chicken breast, and homemade fried rice...so I did some rehashed chicken fried rice with Cholula. Old Bay was used as a seasoning on these chicken breasts. For me it's night and day with food so much better as a compliment to something that stimulates your umami taste buds on the palate. It's a nice base unfiltered golden ale, refreshing with spice. Not much complexity just lingering bitter aspects of the Old Bay additions, peppercorns apparent mild citric notes, muddled powdered yeast and bitterness from the spices.

Mouthfeel, the spices leave the palate feeling like you walked into the room after someone sprayed way too much perfume. A harsh bitter spice, lighter bodied ale actually comes off much more refreshing with the food pairing. Carbonation dead on moderate feels pretty natural here.

Overall, I guess somebody had to use Old Bay in a beer this one is Dead Rise from Flying Dog and the bottle says it's licensed by McCormick to use Old Bay, and the proceeds benefit True Blue a group that supports the Maryland Blue Crab industry. Overall, not wowed and not feeling bad about trying this, it's just making me want to get some all you can eat crab legs.

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden/yellow color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer. Looks like a MBC beer. Not really attractive.

Aroma: Doesn’t smell like a MBC beer though! Strong aromas of Old Bay seasoning, with strong notes of cayenne, bay leaf, black pepper, coriander, as well as aromas of lemon, lemon zest, dill, seafood. Honestly, this beer smells like a crab bake! Mouthwateringly good!

Taste: Very interesting flavors. I get some toasted malt and wheat up front, immediately followed by the flavors of Old Bay seasoning, such as cayenne, bay leaf, black pepper, coriander, as well as aromas of lemon, lemon zest, dill, and crab boil. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth, as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very interesting beer. It totally tastes like the Old Bay seasoning mix and boiled crabs! I bet it would go perfect with some crab cakes, a crab boil/bake, some peel and eat shrimp, shrimp and grits and grilled seafood.

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Just like Old Bay potato chips, only better!!. Seriously though, this is an interesting beer and something that I would expect from Flying Dog. The beer itself seems to be pretty good, hard to tell with the spice. On the good side, if you are an Old Bay fan, this is the best. The Old Bay flavor is just right and not too overpowering. Head and color are better than average and this beer would be awesome on a summer day, nice and cold, while sitting on the beach or pickin' crabs, lol

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a pale straw gold with nice head and lacing.

S - good whiff of salty spice on the nose, along with some honey sweetness.

T - tastes crisp, lemony and refreshing. Not as crisp as say a Summerfest, but still good for the style. Adequate sweetness balances things out mid palate. Good peppery spice at the back of the throat - robust but nicely restrained. And quite a bit like Old Bay! Also a nice firm hop presence for a pale lager.

Overall, a surprisingly good summer brew. Not over the top with spice as many brewers tend to do.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

What a unique beer. If the thought of an Old Bay flavored beer sounds revolting to you, don't worry, I detected no salt and just a touch of celery seed. The hops balance extremely well with the spices. This beer has a flavor quite reminiscent of Old Bay while still being thoroughly drinkable (and at 5.6%, it's not *too* far from a session beer). And, it benefits Maryland's blue crabs - a bonus to those of us in the area. If you like spiced beers like witbiers and are willing to go a bit stronger with the spices, definitely give this one a try.

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

The nose is light and crisp with a sweet yeast character. There's a bit of bubblegum, lemon-lime and a spicy note.

This is spritzer like in feel and flavor. It's very seltzer waterish with some 7Up lemon lime. I get a perfume floral yeast flavor and a peppercorn that may be the Old Bay.

This came out in June and here it is December so that 6 months may have taken its toll because I'm not getting a lot out of this.

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (super fresh, but no date)

A: A hazy straw colored beer with a nice thick foamy head that is quite persistent and leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Peppery with floral hops that complement each other. The Old Bay is subtle and right there in the background, but comes across more in the pepper notes. I even sniffed from my Old Bay canister, just to make sure I was right on my smells.

T: Smooth and easy drinking. This is the embodiment of summer in Maryland for me. You get a hint of pepper/Old Bay in there that just makes you want to go out and order some crabs (or at least some kind of seafood). I realize that this is a herbed/spiced beer, but I was told that it basically a pale ale with Old Bay in it. So, if you consider this a pale ale also, then this is my favorite pale ale so far, and is up there for my favorite herbed/spiced beer, next to Midas Touch. It leaves just a bit of pepper and spice at the back of your throat that is perfect. Tomorrow, I will be ordering some crabs to finish off my six-pack. Definitely one of Flying Dog's best beers and I hope they keep this as a summer seasonal. Thanks, Old Bay for collaborating with them this year for your 75th Anniversary. I will say that I didn't have high hopes going into this, since it doesn't even sound that great. I love Old Bay, and have put it on many things (or have seen it put on many things). We like Old Bay on anything and everything, but sometimes they just come off as a gimmick, like I thought this was gonna be, but it really shined on its own merits and is a great beer.

M: Smooth, and just a hint watery, but it reminds me of the Bay for some reason (and that probably sounds gross/bad), but I mean it.

O: Just a great beer from Flying Dog. I don't usually buy a six-pack of beers unless I am going to a party or plan on aging them. I brought this to a party thinking that everyone there would want a bottle, but people only wanted to try it. So, I still have two bottles left.

p.s. For a little extra spice, I just added a bit of Old Bay to the end of my glass and gave it a big swirl. The Old Bay really sticks to the foam and stays at the top. However, it goes well with it and just amps up the already present flavors.

4.37/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Moderate hand. No clear date on the label, but it is stamped 303B14.

A: Hazy, pale golden yellow body. 1 finger clean, white head with good retention. Light lacing.

S: Light salinity, grassy hops. Characteristic Old Bay is present, but does not dominate and is nicely integrated. Coriander. Celery seed. Pepper.

T: Noble-type hops open with a subsequent swell of slightly salty, Old Bay spice. A light pale malt sweetness appears before the hop bitterness returns for a fairly dry finish. Lemon. Minimal alcohol. A touch of salt and hops lingers in the mostly clean aftertaste.

M: Moderate carbonation with a light-to-moderate body. Easy drinking and smooth.

O: Full disclosure: I am a native Marylander who lives in Baltimore and loves me some Old Bay; but, I have to say that I am really digging this brew. If you image eating steamed crabs and taking a sip of a crisp pale ale/pilsner while the Old Bay is still clinging to your lips, you're mostly there. Flying Dog's last Old Bay venture (Gose) didn't do it for me - too over the top, too salty - but I think they really nailed it with this one.

Prost!

4.37/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a somewhat stemmed Belgian beer glass. Not so much a blonde ale fan, but this is old bay baby.. get out of my way.

Unfiltered and an orb glowing lemon yellow with a hint of green. Creamy white head of about two fingers tall and some thick creamed lacing sheets. Real nice looker

Yup that aroma delivers. It's old Bay. Salt. Caraway, and bursting paprika like notes. Even nice is there's some lemon like citrus aromas, which make think of only one thing. Crab fucking FEAST. My brain is just being transported to fish markets, news paper roll outs, and mallets. If you don't eat blue crab... you're not going to get it...

Palate just does not disappoint. The Old Bay aroma just bursts on the aftertaste. Big salty finish, but nothing like a Gose beer. It is dry and not briney. Big classic peppery notes and some soft faint lemon. Large salty finish, it makes you want to drink more. The mouthfeel even for a blonde ale feels intentionally watery a bit, more so to probably feel like it's easier to pound back. Some lemon like citrus aromas, and very soft malted body.

The beer is true to what it claims, and oh god I can't wait to eat this with fresh steamed crabs. They absolutely nailed the right amount of citrus and old bay character on this. It's a perfect seafood beer, and something like this could only be made in Maryland. Old Bay spice is something you either like it or you don't, and I am drooling over this. This brewery is going to easily sell a LOT of this beer, in fact I even saw people walking out with CASES of this stuff. Truly the perfect beer with crabs, and this also drinks well on it's own. If you want a spiced up blonde with dry salty action, look no further. But be warned it's not for everyone, but this makes me proud to be living in Maryland.

4.71/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very good beer. I saw it as a Natty Boh IPA, which is a very high compliment for a beer. It runs smooth with a swoosh of a nice slightly hoppy taste with a smooth slight taste of old bay that is perfect. The aftertaste furthers the experience as well. I hope it survives the summer seasonal phase, but pick it up while you can!

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle shared at work today.

This one can't be drank in large amounts, but it's interesting, at least.

Pours a golden orange yellow, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells, nay, reaks of Old Bay seasoning and not much else. Essentially Old Bay in liquid form.

The strong Old Bay flavoring overwhelms just about everything else here. Luckily, I like Old Bay, so I enjoy it, but I can tell it would get old quickly.

This one is pretty light bodied, with a low amount of carbonation, and a crisp mouthfeel.

What more did you expect out of this one?

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

@ North Street Beer Station

Hazy yellow gold color topped with a thin head that ultimately shrinks to a bubbly covering. Smells spicy and festive – not offensively so, pretty moderate Old Bay like aromas. Flavor is also spiced, as expected, but there is an herbal, leafy hop presence, lemon, and a honey-like pale malt sweetness. Dry, crisp, medium body. Not bad. Although the spice is fairly muted, it does begin to wear on the palate before the end of the glass.

4.24/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says 332A14.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Sudsy, semi-resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Initial soapy aroma gives way to an incredibly unique bouquet of herbs and spices. One thing I want to note in particular is how much the celery leaves and herbs come through in this beer. Peppery, fumy and slightly sharp.

T- Then, once you taste it, you know it's old bay. However, it's not so apparent that you don't feel like you're drinking beer. The malt and the slight hop presence are there to support the melange of flavors that come with the spices. Mild heat. So easy to drink given the unusual tastes that are present. Cayenne pepper, paprika and maybe some chili powder.

M- Slightly sharp and kind of thin but this is the category that is most crucial to the pairing with seafood that will inevitably ensue as a result of this beer's special ingredient. You don't want a heavy or thick beer to be the background to the old bay. Medium carbonation and a light body.

O- For the record, I'm not an old bay fanatic. I really like the seasoning but I'm not one of those fiends who thinks spice is great in any context. I was initially skeptical about the drinkability of this beer but I gotta say that Flying Dog has nailed it. This beer pairs well with tilapia that has also been seasoned with old bay. I would also really like to try some shrimp tossed in old bay or of course some crab and old bay to go with this. Outstanding.

4.54/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a really great beer. I wasn't expecting too much when I tried thus; but wow, what a surprise! This is a really great pale ale with a distinct "old bay" aroma and flavor without ovetpowering. Fantastic beeer for summerd in MD. Drinking with NMA. He just got here after a long drive and is delusional; hence the low numbers.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Found this in the mix six section at my local bar Carnivores. Into a pint glass.

A - Uber carbonation I got well over two inches that settle rather quickly to a lace ring. Color is a hazy orange yellow.
S - Not really getting too much spice it smells like lemon zest and sweet malts with possibly a touch of chili powder.
T - Again a mild lemon test almost reminiscent of ginger with a touch of peppery bite from a very mild chili powder which I guess is old bay. The taste isn't too spicy and the lemon works great with it.
M - Light to medium a touch heavier than I expected but it goes down smooth.

Overall this is a pretty decent herb spiced beer. Never thought old bay would work great in beer and this is pretty tasty stuff.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color. The white head is initially quite tall, with a densely frothy texture. Retention and lacing are both very good.

S: Fairly standard malty lager aroma up front. Some grassy/leafy/spicy hop notes. Pleasantly subtle notes of crab spices: celery, salt, black pepper, and a bit of brine. Inviting without seeming cloying or artificial, which is an accomplishment for this sort of beer.

T: I get the flashes of Old Bay flavor early and late in this beer. Salt, celery, pepper, and whatever other mildly spicy notes go into Old Bay are noticeable but not overblown. There's a firm malt backbone here, with a faint touch of sweetness. Hop bitterness is actually fairly high, with herbal, leafy flavor. A second bit of faintly briny, spicy flavor carries into the finish.

M: Crisp, with medium-firm body. Carbonation, hoppiness, and (I assume) mild salinity give a fairly dry finish.

O: Very impressed by this beer. I love Old Bay, but I was still pretty skeptical about this because a lot of flavored beers end up cloying. This has a subtle and authentic twist added to what I suspect would be a pretty good pale lager without it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a very hazy medium straw yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass quickly and a faint amount of medium yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall dense foamy white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of lemon citrus, Old Bay spice, and just a light amount of slightly sweet grainy malts.

T: Upfront there is a light amount of grainy malts with a touch of pale malts. That is followed by a light flavor of lemon citrus and a slightly stronger than moderate flavor of Old Bay spice. Just a hint of floral hops in the finish which has a hint of bitterness.

M: Just slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Hints of dryness in the finish from the Old Bay.

O: It really went well with the seafood at dinner (which was prepared in a very simple manner) - a very nice combination of Old Bay spice and the hints of lemon. I found it surprisingly better than I expected.

3.66/5  rDev +1.7%

My biggest enablers WRT bottles are my local, in-person trader, tone77 and The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop. I have nothing against either of them or bottles, but my focus really should be on The CANQuest (TM), especially after the article about me in the July 2014 issue of Draft Magazine. I could not resist this one, especially with Ralph Steadman's interpretation of a crab. I was reminded of Crabby in the "Mutts" comic strip who recently had to attend Anger Management classes because he suddenly was not as angry as he usually would be! Ha.

"Skillful in shallow waters, yet adept when it becomes deep and rough - Dead Rise boats were specifically crafted to navigate the unique waterways of the Chesapeake. Our Dead Rise, a summer ale with Old Bay (r), was brewed to support True Blue, a groundbreaking initiative to support the Maryland Blue Crab industry."

This has been quite a day of different bottled beers and I am curious to try this one and one other before reverting to form and opening some AIPAs.

My initial pour created two fingers of rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Nose was redolent with Old Bay (r) and my mouth instantly began to water. Color was a pretty Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future! I could NOT keep my nose out of the glass with this one. This would be fabulous with actual crabs. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, but if it is intended as a Summer Ale, I would not want it to be too full. The taste was of Old Bay (r), but in just the right amount, not overwhelming, which it could have been. How do you describe an "Ale Brewed with Spices" when the spices are so variegated? You almost have to have experienced Old Bay (r) seasoning for yourself at some point in order to understand. One point that really needs to be made is its finish. Just like any other beer that relies heavily on spice(s) for its flavor, this was as dry as the desert! This just begs to be drank with some food, especially seafood. Say, Salmon Sunday is tomorrow ...

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip pint.

Appearance
Straw yellow with 2 fingers of creamy, white head. Excellent clarity with moderate carbonation.

Nose
Lemon, Old Bay, sage, and caramel

Taste
Certainly tastes like Old Bay! underlying note of lemony citrus and caramel malts. Tocuhes of sage, pineapple, honey, and tangerine.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light bodied, smooth, crisp, and refreshing.

Overall
Surpassed my expectations. Really tasty stuff!

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%

The fresher beer the better it is.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

Date: 8/29/14
Location: Halftime Mamaroneck
Glassware: Snifter

Appearance: Pale yellow in color. Small white persistent head. Some Haze. Little to no cling.
Aroma: Strong lemon pulp flavor. Boarding on a lemon scented cleaning agent. Wheat add an additional clean smell. Finally, at the end there is a hint of the old bay. Especially paprika.
Taste: The flavor is again profoundly lemony. Then the paprika spice comes in secondly. More paprika but now there is also some white pepper. The wheat flavor is noticeable in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Light body light carbonation. The pepper leaves a kind of course flavor on the back of my throat and top of my mouth. The lemon flavors leave a little dryness.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had very low expectations for this beer. Old Bay is a fairly potent spice in large quantities. I have often washed the excess off blue crabs from a take-out place because they had a fiery dose of Old Bay on them. Dead Rise could have easily been a hot, gimmicky beer but it isn't. The spicing was just right, turning a fairly bland ale into something pretty good.

Pours a clear gold color with a medium size white head. Head retention is fairly good and there are rings of lacing on the glass.

Aroma and taste are good also. The aroma is quite floral....The celery salt element of Old Bay is much more prominent than the spicy part. I also thought I detected a good amount of rosemary in the aroma.

The spiciness carries over to the taste too. Te basis for the beer is a run of the mill ale. The spices make it much more interesting.

Mouthfeel features the spiciness on the tongue in an otherwise fairly light beer. I had this with snow crab legs and it was a perfect accompanyment. A good beer with sea food.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

On draft, pours a translucent straw yellow with a thick frothy white head on top. Finally getting a chance to try this after many "brahs" told me it was delicious.

The smell is lots of pine, grass, allspice, and yup, you guessed it Old Bay. Lots of Old Bay. The flavor is earthy pine hops, grain malt, lemon, paprika, straw with a wet old bay finish. I like Old Bay on certain foods, but this is almost like eating soggy french fries with old bay on them. This is just too weird for me.

Good marketing idea, check. Maryland pride check. A beer I will buy again - nope.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

this is my frist spice beer didnt even know it was a spice beer i taste pepper look good in a glass just feels like my mouth is burning for my frisr beer of this kind it looks so good in a glass but it may the last time i drink one of these beers

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

To me this tastes like Leffe Blonde if I had it at a crab feast. Like almost identical but a slight whiff of Old bay and a subtle burn remains on my tongue when it is gone. I know some folks hate this and others love it but it's very good for what it is. Crystal clear and great smell for what that's worth.

to view more.