Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 93
Reviews by taylor714914:
3.92/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I guess this beer has a cult following of crazy Old Bay aficionados, but seriously my local Beer Express has sold through a small palate of this stuff in a couple weeks they are down to one last case. I wanted to jump on a whole case, but I decided to pick up a sixer at Market District first.

First off it looks great in my glass, this stuff wreaks of Old Bay once you pry the cap off things get real. Hazed golden apricot hue in the body with a white billowing head great textures going on in the glass, fine even lacing left behind. By the way, I've seen Untappd pictures where the coat the brim of the glass with Old Bay...not even going there.

Smells fantastic, great citrus spice combo infused with Old Bay this beer begs for crab legs as a pairing, or if you have access a whole crab/lobster boil. You get an herbal, peppercorn, citrus combo with each sniff, I have my nose almost buried in this stuff. Big thumbs up on the aroma, let's see how she actually tastes.

Flavor becomes more perfume and too spiced on the palate with the initial sip. I love Old Bay as a spice, I don't limit it to seafood you can spice anything with it steaks, chicken, burgers it just works. I was expecting something like a gose with more salty character from the Old Bay, I don't even know if there's salt in Old Bay but I assume there is. As I continue to imbibe on this stuff, I realize it needs some food pairing. I had some left over chicken breast, and homemade fried rice...so I did some rehashed chicken fried rice with Cholula. Old Bay was used as a seasoning on these chicken breasts. For me it's night and day with food so much better as a compliment to something that stimulates your umami taste buds on the palate. It's a nice base unfiltered golden ale, refreshing with spice. Not much complexity just lingering bitter aspects of the Old Bay additions, peppercorns apparent mild citric notes, muddled powdered yeast and bitterness from the spices.

Mouthfeel, the spices leave the palate feeling like you walked into the room after someone sprayed way too much perfume. A harsh bitter spice, lighter bodied ale actually comes off much more refreshing with the food pairing. Carbonation dead on moderate feels pretty natural here.

Overall, I guess somebody had to use Old Bay in a beer this one is Dead Rise from Flying Dog and the bottle says it's licensed by McCormick to use Old Bay, and the proceeds benefit True Blue a group that supports the Maryland Blue Crab industry. Overall, not wowed and not feeling bad about trying this, it's just making me want to get some all you can eat crab legs.

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tried it out out of curiosity, assuming i wouldn't be into it. Not my favorite, (being a stout/IPA guy) but flying dog did a pretty good job on this. I like how you can feel the old bay as well as taste it.

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pale straw in color. The nose does not really have the essence of Old Bay but the flavor certainly does - and it's not unpleasant.

The main problem with this offering is that it is a one trick pony. The blast of Old Bay is interesting but the base beer is far from enthralling.

3.32/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Clear yellow color with a white soapy head and more than adequate lacing. Good clarity and though cold, poured with no haze.

SMELL: Wheat funk and old bay give off an initial impression of a crab bake. Repeated sips make one think of a wheat infused crab bake if such a thing ever did exist.

TASTE: A nice blend of spice and beer qualities. Wheat, corn, barley all tossed in the boil with some old bay, and tastes just like what they did, but the old bay transitions much better in flavor than aroma, which is actually my thought on the Old Bay seasoning in general.

FEEL: Full bodied, well carbonated, and remarkably clean given the use of spices. Certainly crisp even with the fuller body.

OVERALL: An interesting little beer here. Tasty enough it its own right, but honestly I would probably rather use this one to cook with somehow. I would not have a problem drinking the unused portion if I did.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I love crab and I love Old Bay so I figured I would like this beer...I did but in a small amount.Poured a clear light golden with a thinner but well sustained white head atop.Aromas had a bit of celery salt twang to it and biscuit malty sweetness.Celery salt hits hard on the palate with a tinge of hot red pepper and then more salt in the finish,dry malt to the finish.The Old Bay becomes a bit much after awhile,Iam astounded at how much Old Bay actually comes thru inthe nose and even more so on the palate.Glad I tried it but not for me in reallity.

4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

Smells like old bay, tastes like old bay - definitely old bay in this but still pretty good.

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden/yellow color with a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer. Looks like a MBC beer. Not really attractive.

Aroma: Doesn’t smell like a MBC beer though! Strong aromas of Old Bay seasoning, with strong notes of cayenne, bay leaf, black pepper, coriander, as well as aromas of lemon, lemon zest, dill, seafood. Honestly, this beer smells like a crab bake! Mouthwateringly good!

Taste: Very interesting flavors. I get some toasted malt and wheat up front, immediately followed by the flavors of Old Bay seasoning, such as cayenne, bay leaf, black pepper, coriander, as well as aromas of lemon, lemon zest, dill, and crab boil. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth, as there is very little in the way of carbonation. With an ABV of 5.6%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a very interesting beer. It totally tastes like the Old Bay seasoning mix and boiled crabs! I bet it would go perfect with some crab cakes, a crab boil/bake, some peel and eat shrimp, shrimp and grits and grilled seafood.

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Flying Dog "Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "288A15 ... undecipherable"
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Good looking beer with a slightly hazy golden body and a frothy, long-lasting white head.

Nice aroma with clove, nutmeg, and what I perceive as mace coming through clearly over a mild golden malt base.

In the mouth it's quite basic, "medium-light" in body and moderately crisp with a just below average carbonation level.

The flavor brings in a note of mustard (which I'm not particularly fond of), some black pepper, and some leafiness. I'm not sure if any hops are used for flavor or aroma, but I doubt it; and the bitterness is moderate as well as it's not really needed once the spices start to build on the palate. All the while the malt remains constant and firm, but it's not sweet or overly done. Impressively balanced I'd have to say, and surprising in its use of spices (Old Bay). At first sip I found it a little off-putting, but then everything seemed to meld a little bit and I thought of it more in terms of a Belgian saison as the pepperiness and herbal qualities (Bay leaf, celery) rose.

Looking over the label to learn what a "Dead Rise" is, I also see that it also supports the Maryland Crabbing industry. If that means buying local rather than importing I'm all for it.

3.9/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Strong old bay flavoring, definitely worth a try if you enjoy old bay seasoning. Toes the line of refreshing and savory. Overall, very good and very drinkable, I could enjoy many of these.

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Just like Old Bay potato chips, only better!!. Seriously though, this is an interesting beer and something that I would expect from Flying Dog. The beer itself seems to be pretty good, hard to tell with the spice. On the good side, if you are an Old Bay fan, this is the best. The Old Bay flavor is just right and not too overpowering. Head and color are better than average and this beer would be awesome on a summer day, nice and cold, while sitting on the beach or pickin' crabs, lol

3.71/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - pours a pale straw gold with nice head and lacing.

S - good whiff of salty spice on the nose, along with some honey sweetness.

T - tastes crisp, lemony and refreshing. Not as crisp as say a Summerfest, but still good for the style. Adequate sweetness balances things out mid palate. Good peppery spice at the back of the throat - robust but nicely restrained. And quite a bit like Old Bay! Also a nice firm hop presence for a pale lager.

Overall, a surprisingly good summer brew. Not over the top with spice as many brewers tend to do.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

What a unique beer. If the thought of an Old Bay flavored beer sounds revolting to you, don't worry, I detected no salt and just a touch of celery seed. The hops balance extremely well with the spices. This beer has a flavor quite reminiscent of Old Bay while still being thoroughly drinkable (and at 5.6%, it's not *too* far from a session beer). And, it benefits Maryland's blue crabs - a bonus to those of us in the area. If you like spiced beers like witbiers and are willing to go a bit stronger with the spices, definitely give this one a try.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- pours a clear bright pale straw color with a frothy and duds two-finger white head that maintains long after the pour, eventually leaving some nice lacing behind

S- I can definitely smell the Old Bay up front, there is a nice spicy/citrus combo on the nose, along with hints of butter, cinnamon, clove and toasted malt

T- solid burst of Old Bay spice up front, followed by some juicy citrus/orange hop flavor, leafy & herbal with dome peppery notes, light spicy finish that lingers long after consumption

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp dry finish

O- I'm not a fan of Old Bay, so I was hesitant of this one. But it's actually quite drinkable and would be a great pair with seafood, especially crab (of course). If I saw this at a seafood restaurant, it would be my first choice

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

The nose is light and crisp with a sweet yeast character. There's a bit of bubblegum, lemon-lime and a spicy note.

This is spritzer like in feel and flavor. It's very seltzer waterish with some 7Up lemon lime. I get a perfume floral yeast flavor and a peppercorn that may be the Old Bay.

This came out in June and here it is December so that 6 months may have taken its toll because I'm not getting a lot out of this.

4.14/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet (super fresh, but no date)

A: A hazy straw colored beer with a nice thick foamy head that is quite persistent and leaves a lot of lacing.

S: Peppery with floral hops that complement each other. The Old Bay is subtle and right there in the background, but comes across more in the pepper notes. I even sniffed from my Old Bay canister, just to make sure I was right on my smells.

T: Smooth and easy drinking. This is the embodiment of summer in Maryland for me. You get a hint of pepper/Old Bay in there that just makes you want to go out and order some crabs (or at least some kind of seafood). I realize that this is a herbed/spiced beer, but I was told that it basically a pale ale with Old Bay in it. So, if you consider this a pale ale also, then this is my favorite pale ale so far, and is up there for my favorite herbed/spiced beer, next to Midas Touch. It leaves just a bit of pepper and spice at the back of your throat that is perfect. Tomorrow, I will be ordering some crabs to finish off my six-pack. Definitely one of Flying Dog's best beers and I hope they keep this as a summer seasonal. Thanks, Old Bay for collaborating with them this year for your 75th Anniversary. I will say that I didn't have high hopes going into this, since it doesn't even sound that great. I love Old Bay, and have put it on many things (or have seen it put on many things). We like Old Bay on anything and everything, but sometimes they just come off as a gimmick, like I thought this was gonna be, but it really shined on its own merits and is a great beer.

M: Smooth, and just a hint watery, but it reminds me of the Bay for some reason (and that probably sounds gross/bad), but I mean it.

O: Just a great beer from Flying Dog. I don't usually buy a six-pack of beers unless I am going to a party or plan on aging them. I brought this to a party thinking that everyone there would want a bottle, but people only wanted to try it. So, I still have two bottles left.

p.s. For a little extra spice, I just added a bit of Old Bay to the end of my glass and gave it a big swirl. The Old Bay really sticks to the foam and stays at the top. However, it goes well with it and just amps up the already present flavors.

4.9/5  rDev +35.7%

A great summertime beer. Cheers

4.37/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Moderate hand. No clear date on the label, but it is stamped 303B14.

A: Hazy, pale golden yellow body. 1 finger clean, white head with good retention. Light lacing.

S: Light salinity, grassy hops. Characteristic Old Bay is present, but does not dominate and is nicely integrated. Coriander. Celery seed. Pepper.

T: Noble-type hops open with a subsequent swell of slightly salty, Old Bay spice. A light pale malt sweetness appears before the hop bitterness returns for a fairly dry finish. Lemon. Minimal alcohol. A touch of salt and hops lingers in the mostly clean aftertaste.

M: Moderate carbonation with a light-to-moderate body. Easy drinking and smooth.

O: Full disclosure: I am a native Marylander who lives in Baltimore and loves me some Old Bay; but, I have to say that I am really digging this brew. If you image eating steamed crabs and taking a sip of a crisp pale ale/pilsner while the Old Bay is still clinging to your lips, you're mostly there. Flying Dog's last Old Bay venture (Gose) didn't do it for me - too over the top, too salty - but I think they really nailed it with this one.

Prost!

4.37/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a somewhat stemmed Belgian beer glass. Not so much a blonde ale fan, but this is old bay baby.. get out of my way.

Unfiltered and an orb glowing lemon yellow with a hint of green. Creamy white head of about two fingers tall and some thick creamed lacing sheets. Real nice looker

Yup that aroma delivers. It's old Bay. Salt. Caraway, and bursting paprika like notes. Even nice is there's some lemon like citrus aromas, which make think of only one thing. Crab fucking FEAST. My brain is just being transported to fish markets, news paper roll outs, and mallets. If you don't eat blue crab... you're not going to get it...

Palate just does not disappoint. The Old Bay aroma just bursts on the aftertaste. Big salty finish, but nothing like a Gose beer. It is dry and not briney. Big classic peppery notes and some soft faint lemon. Large salty finish, it makes you want to drink more. The mouthfeel even for a blonde ale feels intentionally watery a bit, more so to probably feel like it's easier to pound back. Some lemon like citrus aromas, and very soft malted body.

The beer is true to what it claims, and oh god I can't wait to eat this with fresh steamed crabs. They absolutely nailed the right amount of citrus and old bay character on this. It's a perfect seafood beer, and something like this could only be made in Maryland. Old Bay spice is something you either like it or you don't, and I am drooling over this. This brewery is going to easily sell a LOT of this beer, in fact I even saw people walking out with CASES of this stuff. Truly the perfect beer with crabs, and this also drinks well on it's own. If you want a spiced up blonde with dry salty action, look no further. But be warned it's not for everyone, but this makes me proud to be living in Maryland.

4.71/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very good beer. I saw it as a Natty Boh IPA, which is a very high compliment for a beer. It runs smooth with a swoosh of a nice slightly hoppy taste with a smooth slight taste of old bay that is perfect. The aftertaste furthers the experience as well. I hope it survives the summer seasonal phase, but pick it up while you can!

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle shared at work today.

This one can't be drank in large amounts, but it's interesting, at least.

Pours a golden orange yellow, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells, nay, reaks of Old Bay seasoning and not much else. Essentially Old Bay in liquid form.

The strong Old Bay flavoring overwhelms just about everything else here. Luckily, I like Old Bay, so I enjoy it, but I can tell it would get old quickly.

This one is pretty light bodied, with a low amount of carbonation, and a crisp mouthfeel.

What more did you expect out of this one?

3.43/5  rDev -5%

@ North Street Beer Station

Hazy yellow gold color topped with a thin head that ultimately shrinks to a bubbly covering. Smells spicy and festive – not offensively so, pretty moderate Old Bay like aromas. Flavor is also spiced, as expected, but there is an herbal, leafy hop presence, lemon, and a honey-like pale malt sweetness. Dry, crisp, medium body. Not bad. Although the spice is fairly muted, it does begin to wear on the palate before the end of the glass.

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Interesting blend of Old Bay with ale.

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says 332A14.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Sudsy, semi-resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Initial soapy aroma gives way to an incredibly unique bouquet of herbs and spices. One thing I want to note in particular is how much the celery leaves and herbs come through in this beer. Peppery, fumy and slightly sharp.

T- Then, once you taste it, you know it's old bay. However, it's not so apparent that you don't feel like you're drinking beer. The malt and the slight hop presence are there to support the melange of flavors that come with the spices. Mild heat. So easy to drink given the unusual tastes that are present. Cayenne pepper, paprika and maybe some chili powder.

M- Slightly sharp and kind of thin but this is the category that is most crucial to the pairing with seafood that will inevitably ensue as a result of this beer's special ingredient. You don't want a heavy or thick beer to be the background to the old bay. Medium carbonation and a light body.

O- For the record, I'm not an old bay fanatic. I really like the seasoning but I'm not one of those fiends who thinks spice is great in any context. I was initially skeptical about the drinkability of this beer but I gotta say that Flying Dog has nailed it. This beer pairs well with tilapia that has also been seasoned with old bay. I would also really like to try some shrimp tossed in old bay or of course some crab and old bay to go with this. Outstanding.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date present. A new one to me from Flying Dog, acquired a single bottle of this stuff from the local beer store. 'Ale brewed with spices' per the label. I'm not familiar with Old Bay spice in any way, so I've no idea what to expect.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a standard pale golden orange body with around a finger of foamy white head that falls to a ring quickly. Some minor scattered lacing. Not unique or interesting to look at, but it's okay. Appears well carbonated with a slight chill haze.

S - The aroma is fairly bland: bready & malty, with a nuanced piney / earthy / dirty hop profile, and some subtle herbal / leafy Old Bay spicing. The spices are noticeable, but they aren't spices I immediately identify with spice rack. Some minor notes of horseradish. Different, but not entirely interesting.

T - A very off-the-wall, all over the place flavor profile. Golden bready malts, notes of clove / banana, piney / resinous / bitter hops, and a earthy / herbal / leafy spice note coming from the Old Bay. Not balanced or cohesive. Strangely enough, it reminds me of certain pumpkin beers I've tried at times.

M - Smooth and wet, but dry on the finish. A medium-leaning light body. Good carbonation. Drinkable stuff, but not quenching or refreshing.

Overall, a strange brew, but it would probably be nice to cook with. I could definitely see myself pouring this one over some seafood.

Flying Dog Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale -----3.5/5

4.54/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a really great beer. I wasn't expecting too much when I tried thus; but wow, what a surprise! This is a really great pale ale with a distinct "old bay" aroma and flavor without ovetpowering. Fantastic beeer for summerd in MD. Drinking with NMA. He just got here after a long drive and is delusional; hence the low numbers.

Dead Rise Old Bay Summer Ale from Flying Dog Brewery