Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

An excellent color- jewel like ruby brown as clear as the brown bottle it came in. (Is that too dark for style?). A creamy head of fine bubbles afforded light lacing.

A hoppy aroma imparted spruce like freshness. The flavor delivered the hop malt balance promised by the deep color and the nose. Tasty.

I found the finish, leaving me smacking my lips form the hops flavor, particularly enjoyable. Go I am a sucker for Pale Ales!

brewQ, Jul 25, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a beautiful dark reddish-brown color with a decent head. The head receeded pretty quickly, but hung on as a thin layer across the top of the glass. Hoppy, herbal smell to it. Not too sharp, really nice.

The taste is pretty good, earthy, hoppy taste to it, with a hint of citrus flavor. Unfortunately, the taste and the mouthfeel just seem really thin to me. Up until that point, I really liked the beer, but the thinness at the end of the taste and in the feel bring it down a bit for me.

Still a really good pale ale, but not something that I'll be likely to list as one of my favorites.

Rio, Jul 24, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Yummy yummy yummy, I got beer in my tummy, and I feel like drinking you...

This is a pretty, pretty pale ale. That's a shame, because the bottle is sooo cool and I find myself torn between drinking it straight from the bottle or pouring it out to soak in its amber delightfulness with the awesome lattice it leaves on a glass.

All the distinctive flying dog artwork is done by Hunter S. Thompson collaborator Ralph Steadman, and they are far and away the best beer labels I have ever seen. So, whether you're drinking this from the bottle or a glass, your going to enjoying watching your beverage.

And you olfactory senses won't be let down, either. The smell is very pleasant and fruity, complex blend of citrus and apples nn with a slight hint of hops. It tastes great, an excellent and complex bittersweet hop flavor up front with a nice malty aftertaste.

And this beer is just perfectly carbonated, too! Just heavy enough.

I was afraid to try any of the Flying Dog Beers for the longest time, figuring that the beer inside couldn't possibly be as cool as the labels. How wrong I was...

mynie, Jul 24, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -5%

Bottle: Poured a medium red colored beer with a nice head with medium retention. Aroma is quite nice with floral hops. Taste is even nicer with a hops heavy taste leaving a quite important bitter finish. Could have profited of more spice and a bit less hops; I believe taste would have been more subtle and complex. I find this to be very similar to North Stock Red Seal Ale. I’m still looking forward to trying more products from the Flying Dog Brewery.

Phyl21ca, Jul 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm beginning to love pale ales, and the 6 pack of Doggie Style that I managed to finally pick up seems to have driven this home. That stunning copper body turns me on every time, and Doggie Style has plenty of it, a clear bright copper colour. Decent off-white head on the pour, which sinks down to a very thin cap to about halfway through the glass. Bold citrusy cascade hops on the nose, only the faintest bit of malt in the background fighting to get at least a limb in the picture. On the flavour profile the malt stays in the background as well, a base for the grassy, citrus sweetness of the hops. Mouthfeel is thinner than I had anticipated, but the carbonation adds a bit of extra body in compensation for that, while it becomes more oily on the finish. The finish is refreshing though, a very quenching and satisfying experience. Plus I'm a sucker for the Ralph Steadman labels as well. This is definitely a fine session ale, it's just a shame it's so expensive up here in Alberta ($15 Can. for 6!).

IronDjinn, Jun 27, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

As my friend Alec said, this beer smells like a bag of hops. If you don't like that I suggest you try something else. For those BeerAdvocates who are hopheads, drinking this ale is like coming home.

I would guess that this ale isn't very bitter. Maybe 50 IBU or less? I just checked their Web site to see if I was right but they don't list the bitterness units. Bummer.

The aroma hops are fantastic. This ale is makes up in aroma what it lacks in bitterness. It is very heavy on the hops, in case I haven't made that clear. I'm very pleased that Flying Dog says this ale is "dry hopped with a 'shit-load' of Cascade hops ..." If you know Cascade hops, you can tell they're in this beer.

I highly recommend this ale.

Shaw, Jun 24, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Tea colored. Very clear with an off white head.

Aroma: Hoppy. The hop aroma rises above and beyond the nutty sweetness. There is a bit of citrus in the aroma from the hops as well.

Taste: The bitterness seems to be a bit on the harsh side. The malt doesn't balance as well as in some pale ales. The finish is dry, and the mouthfeel is solid.

Notes: This is a good beer, but not quite as balanced as others that I would prefer to keep in my fridge. Definately give it a shot, but don't expect to find a favorite.

beerinator, Jun 22, 2004
3.63/5  rDev 0%

Appearance:

Clear light brown with a slight white head.

Smell:

Citrusy hops greets the nose with a pleasant aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

I'm not a pale ale fan, but I like this one. It is somewhat mild in the hop department, though that is the first sensation that hits your tongue followed by a really nice smooth sweet finish that leaves you wanting another sip. I've tried all of Flying Dog's stuff, and this is one of the better offerings.

cbl2, Jun 18, 2004

This beer pours a nice clear amber body with a small off-white head.

The nose was a mix of soft citrus peel, some juicy fruits and gum. A sweet caramel malt smell. Citrus and black pepper really come out as it warms.

The taste is a nice spicy hop. Black pepper, some graininess. Light to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. A nice big malt flavor is present but it’s really hard to make out because the hop taste and bitterness completely overshadow it. The scary thing is, no matter how big the hop flavor is it never becomes distracting. It actually feels balanced.

Actually a pretty good beer. I little too hoppy to balance against the malt, but a very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

taez555, Jun 14, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

I do detest the Ralph Steadman Flying Dog labels, but decided it wasn't fair to deduct half an appearance point. But I wish they would bring back the old dog.

A deep but crystal clear copper body, topped by three fingers of dentable foam which rose above the rim. Bits of lace.

A nice toasty nose, backed with earthy hops.

A malty splash, quickly engulfed with a hearty helping of herbal hops. A rather clean finish with a mild hop aftertaste.

Nice medium body, very easy to drink, and no deterents to another.

A good example of a hybrid pale ale, very English in character, with just a little extra hop dash for this side of the pond.

I think this beer is under-rated, possibly because much of the rest of their line does not measure up. I've always enjoyed this beer and was pleased to see it return to Jersey. I hope it sticks around

Sidenote: There is also a variety 12 pack available. Apparently this is a random selection of Flying Dog brews. I passed because a) I like to know what I'm buying, and b) I could see that at least four of the beers were their wheat, which I have no interest in.

RonfromJersey, Jun 05, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +22%

Pour a deep golden color with a medium to small white head that leaves excellent lacing all the way down.

Nose has a very noticable hop characteristic that I would expect from a pale ale. No much presesnce of alcohol discernable in the nose.

This is a beer with a heavy hop favor, especially in the finish. Don't know for sure, but I would suspect there is some dry-hopping going on here.

Very drinkable, especially for fans of pales or IPAs.

oracle, Jun 01, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Beautious golden orange slightly hazy pour with crisp 1/2" ivory coating that looks as good as it tastes.

As close to IPA as a beer can get without being IPA. Hops and delicate malt suggestions.

Tastes like an IPA. Good, no great mysterious hops, maybe Styrian? This Palw ould not quit. Great job, FLYING DOG! A stand up Pale that ran the full race.

Worth trying if on tap at a brew pub.

Last swigs: Total drinker. Take it from me and my experince tonite.

Beer is good. Happy draught beering.

blitheringidiot, May 28, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

This just arrived in BC. liqour stores and I must say that this is truly a hoppy pale ale that tastes like an IPA. The head is big and long lasting and the colour is dark gold but the real pleasure is to be found in the fantastic PNW hop nose. The beer tastes big and bold but with balance and finesse. I see this as a classic example of what makes New World Pale Ales a hoppy delight.

canucklehead, May 20, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +30%

Wow. Picked this up while on break at work (night shift, semiconductors, = long breaks). We decided to split one to try it. Smell was great. The lacing stuck to the serving vessel like paint, and there was still head when I was done. Very similar to Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Delicious brew, and I highly recommend it. But it is only for hop lovers.

4.5 out of 5 swills.

CrescentFresh, May 19, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice piney hop aroma overtop a solid malt base. Foamy dirty cream colored head has a decent amount of stick. Clear orange amber colored beer with a few slow moving tiny bubbles moving through it. Caramel malty flavor is solid, hoppy tea flavor makes a run for the front but ends up pulling even with the malt for a sweat tea finish. Hardly a bitter beer, body is middle of the road. I haven't had too many pale ales like it, I'm thinking more British style as it's pretty balanced. From what I've had so far Flying Dog beers tend to be mild and they did a good job with this one.

HappyHourHero, May 14, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

it pours a crisp and clear orange amber. A solid finger of frothy off-white head grows quickly and drops nearly as fast to the merest film of foam. Sporadic, loopy lacing winds about the glass.

The aroma brings a slender caramel malt sweetness spinning simply around a piney floral hop center. A hint of butterscotch pops up and then cedes to a slightly metallic bitterness.

Upon first sip, the lightly toasted grain sweetness is milder yet here, and is even less of a match for the pine and dry citrus hop perfume. Any malt essence is subdued by a continued hop bitterness which weaves its thread through to the finish, lingering moderately. Even though the hops are far from overpowering, the malt falls well short of attempting any kind of real balance.

Just short of medium bodied, there's enough consistency to coat and round out the palate. The hops character leaves a dry glow at the finish.

there's not a lot going on with the malt, so when the decent hops flavor gives ground, all that's really left is the bitterness. As much as I enjoy hops, I like them best in a combination, not solo. On the surface, the hops make it drinkable, but with plenty of better, more balanced, options available to me, I'm not strongly inspired to do so. With not enough malt for an IPA, and more hops than most PA's, it struggles to find an identity. I can enjoy it fairly well, but it's not the love of my life.

Foxman, May 04, 2004
3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

The deep amber ale forms a fair white head when poured into a glass. The inviting cascade aroma hints at the flavor profile. The dry ale's flavor is dominated by dry hopped cascade on a thin but roasted malt backbone. It's a drinkable, but unexciting pale ale.

AllThingsNinja, May 01, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

Wet leather malt sweetness in the smell. A rather dark look in the glas for a pale ale.. light red in color. Pale white head with a tinge on pinkness. Quite sticky and lasting. Initial taste is hoppy/orange rind but this then leaves the tongue and you get a wash of watery thin slightly sweet malt base. There is also a metalic finish to the brew as well (tin). Thin mouth. Not balenced on the ratio to hops and malt backbone.

frank4sail, May 01, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -17.9%

APPEARANCE: An aggressive pour into a beer-clean .5 ltr pilsner glass landed me a very thick 2 finger collar of rapidly dissapating foam. Lacing is simply superb and the brew is a dark copper color and the clarity is very good.

AROMA: Nothing in this nose except the (welcome) sting of piney Cascade hops...and lots of 'em.

TASTE: While the nose promises Cascades, the taste delivers them...by the bushel. Those looking for hops will not be disappointed as this beer has been dry-hopped yet is not overpowering.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer makes a lot of promises...but falls short on mouthfeel with its one-dimensional hoppiness. The beer is thin and clings to its dry-hopped nature to pull the drinker through.

DRINKABILITY: Lacking the 'stickiness' of most West Coast pale ales, Flying Dog is little more than a representation of the style. Is it horrible? Absolutely not. Unfortunately, the answer is the same if you ask me if I'm going to go looking for it again.

IceAce, Apr 25, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A friend of mine bought a six pack of this on a whim and luckily he didn't enjoy it too much, so that means it's my job to dispose of it and dispose of it i will. It poured an orangish/amber color with a lingering white head. Smell was very citric. Ok, just nothing spectacular. Taste is a little hoppy but there was a bit of sweetness creeping up on the finish. Mouthfeel is decent as is drinkability. This beer is alright, will i have have it again? Who knows, but it doesn't pain me to take this off of my friend's hands.

soper2000, Apr 13, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +11%

This beer is golden with small bubbles, carbanation is perfect. The beer has a medium thick white head thats lasts a long time. The aroma is very sweet from the malts and the hops is sweet as well. For flavor the malt is sweet just like you would think from the aroma. The hops is a solid bitternes as if you were drinking an ESB. Over all this beer is very tasty.

simmons, Mar 30, 2004

Pours to a frothy off-white head with rich amber-copper color. Leaves bits of foam on the glass. Aroma is decidedly Cascades hops, bread and crystal malt. Flavor is a balance of dry maltiness and tangy American hops. Finishes with a nice blend of pleasing hop bitterness and slightly toasty malt. I have to admit that the beer I am reviewing appears to be past its prime ( I see protein floaties in it) but I can tell that it is a well made beer by how well its character holds up to age and brutal Oklahoma handling.

EagleTalon, Mar 21, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

Clear copper body, low carbonation and off white rocky head. Good retention and lace.
Sweet and strong scents with some mild hop and alcohol undertones.
Taste pretty damn good, unlike most pale ales, this one is sweet but still hoppy, some good spices in this brew. mild hoppy after taste with some lingering sweetness.
Surprisingly creamy for a pale ale, full body and slick on the palate.
This is a very drinkable pale ale, very pleasant indeed.
A well balance ale.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Mar 20, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

12ozer bottle from prepackaged mixed 12- pack from Austin Liquors, Shrewsbury, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed an inch tall off-white head with large bubbles. Amber, brew, average lacing present. Great malty sweetness in the nose, with hops right there as well. Flavor pretty much follows the aroma's lead, and is very pleasant, although it seems that there could be a bit more substance to the mouthfeel. However, it's a pale ale, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Drinkability is excellent, having trouble not just downing it right away. Looking forward to the rest of the mix pack.

ppoitras, Mar 09, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Nice amber color, decent head.

Some sweetness and citrus hops in the aroma, there's something else here but I can't put my finger on it.

Medium body with a slight dryness. This has a nice hop level but it's certainly not the hoppiest EPA I've had. Nice citrus flavors too, with a touch of malt sweetness. A touch of bitterness in the finish.

Nice lacing the whole way down, nice to see.

Definitely a drinkable brew, not the best EPA but definitely something to keep on hand, my favorite of the flying dog brews.

Southernbrew, Mar 02, 2004