Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Doggie Style Classic Pale AleDoggie Style Classic Pale Ale

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 987 | Hads: 2,306
2.7/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Ok bought in the 12 oz brown long neck.I hate the label..I am not a big fan of Ralph Steadman.
as poured into a british style pint mug the beer has a crystal clear brown colour with a off white almost tan head that goes fast but does leave some good lace.
Smell is very nicevery chocolaty and with great hop undertones.
Taste however is a shocking let down.. a micro second of sweet maltiness is followed by a rather acrid bitterness..that annoys my taste buds..not good.
Mouthfeel is pretty average..bit watery.
I did not find this drinkable due to the horrible taste.
Maybe I just picked up a bad bottle or something..but this was not good..Its safe to say I will stick to Full Sail Pale or SNPA when in the mood for a pale. (732 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Little disappointed with this one, name like "Flying Dog", has gotta be good....but no. Ordinary+.
Pours a very deep amber with limited head which quickly turns to a medium glass ring.
Carbonation is medium/light and the body is medium.
Slight floral aroma.
Taste is bittersweet and lingering, what comes to mind is grapefruit well sugared.
However, would like to meet the rest of the litter....and I will! (411 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

The beer pours a dark golden/light amber color. The head comes strong and finishes with a pretty lace. The aroma is of hops and nothing else. The smell is floral and pleasant. The taste is not bad. There's a nice hoppy flavor and a bit of malty richness to it. The beer goes down smooth, but is far from light. There is a medium body here. It's a good drinking beer, but not a gusler. You need to take time to enjoy this one. One of their better brews. (452 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Nice appearance....dark gold...small head with some lingering lace. Decent hoppy smell, which suggests the taste. Taste is good......has a bit of bite and aftertaste, but still refreshing. Mouthfeel is ok,,,,but nothing special. Goes down smooth enough, but aftertaste wasn't the best. Great bottle though. Part of a 12 pack of assorted brews which I will sample later in the evening. Good price too! Decent choice. (415 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

The 'Doggie Style' was my first experience with the Flying Dog Brewery and I was not impressed, but definitely not disappointed. Poured a light to medium golden with a decent head. Aromas are hoppy and earthy, very pleasant. The taste reflects the smell, although its nothing that hasn't been done before. The earthy feel reminds me of a saison which appeals to me, but an unplaceable aftertaste leaves me anxious for something different to clease my palate. (458 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Awesome looking appearance.Wondefrul color with a nice pour delivered by a froaming white head.The color is clear amber with bubbling carbonation.A well-balanced aroma of hops and malt.Spotty traces of white lace left.Well-balanced taste also,with the hops,bitterness,and malt all equal in taste.A sweet lemon and honey taste that goes down smooth.Accompanied by a crisp mouthfeel.High drinkability percent with this above average Pale Ale.This one surprised me. (462 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz bottles. Poured a dark amber, with a moderate head, that didn't stick around long. Light tracings of lace left behind. Aroma of hops, sweetness, and malt. This is my first beer from the Flying Dog Brewery, and I must say it is very good. Not too much bitterness, just enough to balance out the sweetness. An over all good beer. (333 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours with a deep head and has a light brown color. Taste: Crisp hops flavor and roasted malt, combination. Finishes with an excellent aftertaste. Very vibrant on the tongue, where the taste first greet this drink. From the tongue, the cheeks are next in line. This would be an excellent beer served with a great, grilled steak. (328 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pale orange with a very thin dissolving head. Hoppy and somewhat musky aroma. Cascade hops and citrus flavor off the top, some grapefruit and orange peel notes. Rather thin in the body, yet somewhat bitter and just a touch dry. Great character, well done, a great session PA. (275 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice reddish color with a lovely foamy head. Wonderful smells arise from this brew, citrus and floral flavors are very present. The flavor of the beer is great, very hoppy yet tame at the same time, it is heavy on the hops and citrus, with a slight malt and spice aftertaste. This is a very drinkable beer, goes down smooth, and easy. Definately something i would buy again. (382 characters)

It was 5.99 for a 6 pack, figured what the heck. Pours out a nice amber and is pretty impressive looking. smells like hops and boy does it taste like hops. i like it. It is decently bitter which i like, it finishes a little dry which i also like. citrus hops, raw and up front, clean lightly caramel like malt and an overall refreshing character. crisp in the mouth and damn tastey. this is a PA that may be a bit intense for some, but it is damn good for those of us who like a good hop fix now and again. (506 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -24.3%

First of all, this beer was served a little cold for me. As I poured this beer, I observed 2 things. First, this beer is a little dark for a pale, and second there is not much for head. The aroma did have a lot of the hop profile in it, but was on the weak side of a pale ale. The taste was not enjoyable to me, I had a hard time finishing this one. Hops strained there way to reach my tongue, leaving my taste buds crawling for more hops. Not a beer that I will be having again. (479 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%

First of all, Ralph Steadman does the label illustrations. Seriously, how friggin' cool is that. Suddenly I want to throw grapefruits at people while listening to "White Rabbit." This may have given me a huge bias but I'll try to be as objective as possible.

Being a pale ale lover, I will say that the appearance is flawless. A subservient head over a clear, amber body is how I define perfection. Smelling the beer, I knew I was in for some good hops. And I was; the taste is as refeshingly hoppy as you can get.

For me, this was a great find. I got Flying Dog's "mixed litter" sampler. So far, so good. Four of the 12 bottles were the pale ale. That pissed me off at first, but realizing how good this one is, I'm now quite content. (741 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Aroma: Like sniffing a hop warehouse, no malt detected.
Appearance: A very clear, pale orange. Light lacing of tiny bubbles, head formed readily, but subsided into a very thin cover.
Flavor: If there is malt in there, I don't taste it. Hops Hops Hops (Cascade?). There must be some malt, because the balance isn't bitter as the hops taste would lead you to expect. Straightforward, no nonsense taste, quite pleasant.
Mouthfeel: medium body, low carbonation, some nice warming with a bit of a bitter prickle (that sounds funny).
Overall: A good summer beer. Refreshing, but satisfying. You like hops? You'll like this. I found that one did the trick; maybe you'll need a couple. (682 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a nice crystal clear honey tone with a nice head that, as seems to be the case with the other Flying Dogs I've had, fades away quickly. Smell is malt and then sweet, wonderful hops. The taste follows suit nicely with a nice finish. Great session beer. (257 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), over a week in my fridge, reviewed 45F-65F.

The head is cream-colored, dense, medium in size. There's not much lacing, but some. The beer is dark amber/reddish.

Woah! Mucho Cascade in the nose, along with a little sweetish malt and some roasted grains. The front is hoppy, sure, but I'd have guessed that there's something other than Cascades in there (slight tobacco). The middle is caramel malty, with some chocolate at warmer temperatures. The finish is bitter, fresh and again, there's some creamy cocoa at temp. I put off buying Flying Dog for quite a while, but I've been pleasantly surprised. These aren't the best brews out there, but they're at least in the ballpark. (731 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

Copper in color with an off-white head that leaves excellent lacing. The aroma is malty, and fruity. The flavor starts out fruity, then it flows to a malty, dry, bitter hop finish. It is a light-medium bodied brew that is easy drinking. It is not too bad, but nothing really beckons me to drink it again. (304 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

Comes out looking good. A nice amber color, not much of a head on this guy. Smells like a garden when its cracked open, a nice blend of hops and citrusy smells. Not the best pale ale in the world, but definately a fine drink. Give it a go if youre looking to try this one out. (276 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A nice Pale Ale and better than some examples I have had lately. More body than most, slight fruity yeasty taste. My only complaint were the hops, I just couldn't find anything that struck me here as bitter, floral, etc. A good beer if I couldn't find any other APAs that interested me. (286 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a bright clear golden amber with a fine white head. The carbonation bubbled for some time after the beer was poured. The aroma was very light and mostly malt. I might have gotten just a whiff of hops, maybe. The taste was to subtle for style. The hop bitterness did not stand out particularly but there was a fair amount of citrus taste and bite. A small amount of malt sweetness can be tasted in the finish. The mouthfeel was light and the carbonation played with tongue. This is a good session beer. I could sit and drink this beer all night telling lies with my friends. (580 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Can find these pretty easily here in Greensboro,I think pretty muan average American pale ale.Kind of a darker orange color medium head that went fast,smelled pretty zesty maybe like a northwestern style pale ale.Taste was fruity and hoppy I would have liked a little more balance. (281 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Color was a nice clear red/amber. Head was small with a bit of clinging lace. Nose was citrus grapefruit, fresh but somewhat 1 dimensional with the citrus.

Taste starts with a touch of sweetness, easy going malt with a nice crisp and fresh cascade hop flavor. Bitterness is medium high, but balanced. Mouthfeel was medium/light, carbonation was a bit tight but seemed about right.

Finish was real quick and was mostly fresh drying cascades. (446 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Nice amber color when poured, decent head and nice lace all the way down the glass. Light malty aroma and decent hop bite - slightly fruity and a good finish. A good example of a pale ale, very drinkable to me at least. Though it's not the best that I've had, it's by far from the worst. Plus I like the label art too - fwiw. (325 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

I was surprised at the color of this beer, as it appeared a darker amber color than most pale ales. Very floral hop aroma. I found this to be better in every category than the In-Heat Wheat, and despite the obvious difference in styles, this represented a pale ale better than the in-heat represented a hefe.

There was some bitter malty undertones in the flavor, followed by a nice, but not overpowering touch of hops. This is definitley an easy drinker, and the 6-pack I had disappeared very quickly. Cool name too. (520 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Bright, frothy head, amber color. Aroma: full-on citrus, and precious little else. Smooth, easy-drinking, and, dammmit, if I can ever think of anything else to recommend this one by. It's fine, and forgetabble, and it's got that great Ralph Steadman art going for it...sigh...it's okay...I geuss... (298 characters)

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery