Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 986 | Hads: 2,313
2.69/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack. 200A05 printed on the lower corner of the label. july 31 05 I assume.

Pours out clear amber bordering on caramel in color, with a thick two finger head you could almost float a quarter on. Looks promising.

Aroma is light caramel and grapefruit.

Flavor is sort of bland, a little caramel and some citrus zest.

Not too bad, I'd have it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Ok bought in the 12 oz brown long neck.I hate the label..I am not a big fan of Ralph Steadman.
as poured into a british style pint mug the beer has a crystal clear brown colour with a off white almost tan head that goes fast but does leave some good lace.
Smell is very nicevery chocolaty and with great hop undertones.
Taste however is a shocking let down.. a micro second of sweet maltiness is followed by a rather acrid bitterness..that annoys my taste buds..not good.
Mouthfeel is pretty average..bit watery.
I did not find this drinkable due to the horrible taste.
Maybe I just picked up a bad bottle or something..but this was not good..Its safe to say I will stick to Full Sail Pale or SNPA when in the mood for a pale.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours an amber color with little head after a very aggressive pour.

Not much smell other than some biscuit.

Taste has a bit of hop and maybe a slight citrus. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. This is not a terrible beer, but not worth seeking out again.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tall mug

A- clear amber/copper color, very little head, head disappeared almost immediately. No lacing at all.

s- strong floral scent, a little pine in there too

t- strong hops flavor, strong bitter aftertaste. There is a faint citrus taste hiding in there too. I think I prefer the taste of an IPA over an APA

m- not a lot of carbonation, dry finish

d- too much bitter aftertaste for me to drink more than one. Not necessarily a bad beer, I just don't think it's my type.

Overall, it's my least favorite Flying Dog so far

2.73/5  rDev -25%

This ale pours with modest amounts of white head that lasts a little over one minute. The body is a lightly hazed, amber loaded with orange colors.

The beer presents a lightly-hopped nose with a balancing malt presence. Slightly citrusy when cold with touches of lemon.

Naturally, this ale starts moderately hoppy with only a faint malt sweetness. The finish is loaded with hop spice and unforunately, a slightly metallic flavor. Sharp, bitter flavors rise as it warms.

Mouthfeel is just barely carbonated, spicy and a little slick.

Drinkability is slightly below average due to the metallic and overly bitter flavors. Nothing to see here. Move along to much better examples.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

Poured from a brown bottle featuring a dog with mechanical wings and a fan on the label.

A: poured with an adequate head that's not particularly dense. Brassy-copper color.

S: Unexpected hop kick at first smell. Really quite cedary with some lemon touches. Mineral touches. All in all, after the first smell becomes rather weak.

T: Sweet. Honey. Caramel. Segues into a not-overpowering bitterness that's very pleasant in the finish. Basically not much flavor. What is there diminishes quick.

M: Medium bodied. Hardly notice the carbonation at all. Coating and full.

Overall: Nice little pale ale but it just doesn't bring it on. The smell fades quick and the taste fleets pretty fast itself. Wish everything was ramped up a bit because there's simply not much there.

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Airy toast is diluted by the thick carbon dioxide presence. Hops are weakly piney, not really able to register.

T: Begins dry, with moderate pale malt that definitely brings more toast than in the smell, as well as some caramel. Carbonic acidity is fairly aggressive toward the middle, largely blocking any hop aromatics that might otherwise develop. There is a thread of medium roast that injects some interest back into the flavor during the middle while esters are also detected. The finish is mildly grainy and herbaceous, with faint bitterness that does not linger.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Basically a forgettable contribution to the style, this pale ale apologizes at every opportunity with the hope that no one will find it unappealing--and cuts corners in the process. Hops could be described as ghost-like here, if only there were some actually haunting this beer. The most surprising thing about this beer is that it is allowed on the menu at Beachwood BBQ.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%

First of all, this beer was served a little cold for me. As I poured this beer, I observed 2 things. First, this beer is a little dark for a pale, and second there is not much for head. The aroma did have a lot of the hop profile in it, but was on the weak side of a pale ale. The taste was not enjoyable to me, I had a hard time finishing this one. Hops strained there way to reach my tongue, leaving my taste buds crawling for more hops. Not a beer that I will be having again.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

I enjoyed the flavors of this PA, lots of grapefruity and piney hops. But for some reason the entire beer was foamy all hell. Every sip I took turned into foam in my mouth and destroyed the entire experience. I don't know what sort of carbination problems could have caused this but I would like to retry this beer sometime so I can fully enjoy it.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Good amber body, small biege head, not long lasting. It's a good look.

Aroma is faint. It's hoppy: some leafy, some citrusy, nothing really strong from either.

Taste is piney, not strong. Theres an ok bitterness and carbonation in the aftertaste. I could session with this real easy. Another good "bring to a BBQ" beer.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

A= pours a dark amber brown orange color with a small thin head and low retention and lacing is minimal
S= some grapefruit hops in it and whiffs of sweet maltyness not a whole lot.
T= not too impressive I must say. Sort of watery hops more bitter than sweet or grapefruity but not really even that bitter just plain as hell..
M= low carbonation and average weight.
D= not that good. This is the first flying dog that let me down. Just not interesting. Boring beer.

2.79/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Large, rocky white head and an amber body with good clarity.

S - Grainy caramel and some grassy hops.

T - Very grainy, slightly burnt flavor. A bit of caramel, maby a hint of hops... a little sour.

M - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

D - I must say I am not that pleased with this beer. The flavor is quite unplesant... but at least it looks good.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a rich, clear amber color with a light tan head. Decent retention, light lacing.
Smell is malt, hops with a citrus note.
Taste is hops then light malt and that is it.
Medium body and effervescence. All hops in the aftertaste. Slightly watery as well. It's ok, I guess, but just ok.

2.81/5  rDev -22.8%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. good and fresh.

A: Pours a caramelized amber with a two finger off white fluffy head. Medium carbonation. Head lasts the long run and so does the lacing.

S: Good blend of hops and malts, although the latter stands out more to me.

T/M: Kinda light on everything. Hops and malts are present but kind of mix together. I don't know if it was just me but i got a kind of watery taste also. The bitterness helps out and this brew does go down smooth and easy.

D: Looks great but lacks on the taste. I haven't had that many APA's in a while but i seem to remember them being better than this. The average beer (Bud, Coors) drinker would like this i think. I'd have another, but i am hesitant to pick up a six pack.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

I had this at a local tavern called Cloverleaf in New Jersey as part of a beer appreciation program. I probably wouldn't have even ordered a Flying Dog otherwise. I have had a lot of their beers, and none are memorable. It is dissipointing, as I like their effort... and their labels are impressive by Ralph Streadman (illustrator for Hunter S. Thompson).

I poured properly into a smaller glass with almost no head. There was just a cute, little ring. I tried to find an aroma, but there was almost nothing there. Just a little floral smell. I thought that I might be a little stuffed up, but my friend confirmed that there was little smell to the beer.

This is a very mellow pale. The taste is wholly unremarkable, and I was hoping for more from it. There was no bitterness to it. I would say that it was very drinkable.

I recommend this as a good "lawnmowing" beer. All credit to my friend the Beer Samurai coining the term "lawnmowing" beer.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

A very unbalanced APA, in my opinion. Sorty malty, sorta hoppy, sorta not enough of either one to impress. Moutfeel is very watery and thin. Do not really care for this, it's not even as good as the artificially colored Fosters Ale.Much better pale ales out there.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

I'm not sure why I bought this, with the stupid labels, and the proximity of the brewer (a LLC) to Golden, CO. My worries didn't come to fruition however, as the beer wasn't as bad as I thought.

There isn't anything unique about this beer, but it looks and tastes like a standard pale. It didn't have any strong hop flavor or aroma, but some might still consider this a pale. It had a pretty typcial malt flavor, and if I'm not coming across very well, it just doesn't stand out. This beer would be a good summer beer for drinking while playing croquet or throwing lawn darts. Really though, the label really looks like an advertisement you'd find in a sporting periodical.

2.83/5  rDev -22.3%

Flying Dog “Classic” Pale Ale pours dusky amber with a light foam head from a 12oz brown glass bottle.

Nose is a monotone floral hops and palate has the same bitter hops monotaste with little if any malt.

Flying Dog “Classic” Pale Ale is a well bittered Ale, off on a wing of its own with more tails to spin... and biting off a chunk of the Ale sky for its self in the process.

2.87/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a bit hazy with decent sized white head. Smell is bland with slight pine hops, not much citrus, and some pale malts. Taste seems off. Not much sweet or bitter, a little funky and dusty, wondering if this was an old bottle. Kind of strange. Light dry mouthfeel, a little watered down, with low to medium carbonation. Mediocre at best.

2.88/5  rDev -20.9%

Sampled at the Ct River Brewers Festival.

This beer was a golden, almost yellow color. There was a fair amount of a white head to it. The aroma and taste were both somewhat thin. There was some hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but not enough to really make it a Pale Ale. Definitely a dog.

2.89/5  rDev -20.6%

A- Light amber dark copper with a small off white head that dissipated almost immediately.

A- Floral and resinous piney hop aroma.

T- Bitter hoppy flavor up front. Flavor drops off with a dry bitter finish. Fairly light in flavor.

M- Medium-light body with moderate carbonation.

D- Not the best pale ale.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Amber in colour with hints of gold. This particular bottle was WAY over-carbonated. It took over 20 minutes to get all of it into a glass! Nice cascade hop aroma with a bit of malty sweetness drifting in afterwards. Flavors were of bland watered down malts, with little of the hop presence that was apparent from the smell. A real let down.

2.91/5  rDev -20.1%

Crystal clear copper hue, topped by a vanilla white, fluffy well retained head. Loose lace remains. Soft, citrusy hops w/ soapy tinge, along with mild biscuit and light caramel malt in aroma. Trace pearish fruity esters. Bland wash of non descript caramel malt sweetness at first in flavor, ensued by token biscuit and bready base malt notes. Subdued floral hop flavor runs parallel with generic caramel malt. Mild hop bitterness emerges mid palate, offsetting residual sweetness, lending a balanced but uninspired overall character. Lightly bodied and approaching watery. Finishes dry and nearly bland, with hints of worty graininess briefly lingering. Although clean, Doggie Style is a prosaic and insipid pale ale. The apparent excessive filtration has stripped it of character. Decent drinkablity.

2.92/5  rDev -19.8%

Purchased a 6'er, this is the last of the pack.

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a tulip. If a head formed I didnt see one, it was maybe a quarter inch of white that disapeared just as quick. Maybe 4 spots on the walls that had a resemblence of lace. Its a transparent golden orange in color with alot of carbonation rise.

Aroma is mildly hoppy, more od sawdust then anything else. Faint cry from the malt. Dissapointed now with the aroma too.

Lots of carbonation, starting to think I might have picked up an expired 6 pack.
Not much for hops, some sweet husky grain flavors, wet cardboard, just an over abundance of carbonation.

The mouthfeel is thin an watery with again, too much carbonation.

The first bottle was just as unpleasent, so I gave the rest away and kept one to review.
This is going to the drain, its borderline sour.

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured into a pint glass.A clear,amber body that looks like any other pale ale with a half finger white head.Some bubbles streaming to the top of the glass.Citrus and some bready malt in the nose.I really pick up on some pineapple.The malt is the pretty dominant smell to me.Citrus hops are the first taste with some bittering after the sip goes down your throat.As the beer warms the hop smell starts to take over.I think this is a no thrills APA.I wouldnt pour it out of my pint glass but Ive had this beer before, but under many different names.I dont think I will try this beer again.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery