Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -38%

I am not a pale ale guy and since I am not I was a little giving on my ratings. I have not been impressed with Flying Dog. I hardly can get why they differentiate themselves from crappy beer. Maybe the standard is different in Maryland but I would doubt it since I know there's a lot of good beer drinkers on the east coast.
Anyways, I highly suggest staying away from most of their stuff. In heat wheat isn't bad and I've been told the raging bitch is good, so I will check that out and not buy anything else from them.
ive only had one or two american pale ales that id really ever drink again, compared to germany and austria american pale ales just seem watery and tasteless.

2.35/5  rDev -35.3%

This pale ale has frragrances of sweet malt aromas with a tip of hops. Floral and fruity. Dark amber in color and produces moderate amount of head, and turns into fine lacing. This sample may had possibly suffered a little oxidation. Overall, this feels very watery and almost too flat. Not too bad, but I've had a lot better.

2.38/5  rDev -34.4%

This one was slightly redder than one would expect a pale ale to be and had a significant head.

It smelled of banana and vinegar - not a great start!

This tasted more like a hefeweizen than a pale ale. Hopefully I was unlucky and got an old bottle (the bottle says 235A05 whatever that means), but the flavour here seemed to be dominated by yeast rather than malt or hops. The hops became apparent after a while, but yeast was the overwhelming player.

2.42/5  rDev -33.3%

Wow.... I'd love to find something nice to say about this but I just can't. It's watery and lacks any real body, flavor or aroma. It has an odd aftertaste similar to the Golden Ale. I can't put my finger on it but it isn't good. I noticed the same "funk" with Molson beers. Yikes, avoid at all cost.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

Got this in a custom 6-pack since I've seen it everywhere and finally felt like giving it a shot.

Appearance - Nothing of note, looks like your standard ale with unremarkable head

Smell - Weak. Nothing really interesting here, and smells too 'grainy', almost like a pale lager.

Taste - Starts off well with some decent hop character, but too weak. Very unappealing metallic aftertaste as the hops fade away altogether.

Mouthfeel - Too light and watery. Pretty good carbonation though, which I appreciate.

Overall - Definitely not impressed with this one. Nothing particularly appealing about it, and the taste wasn't very enjoyable. Not terrible, I wouldn't refuse this beer if offered, but for your money there are much better choices out there.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery