Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

2.51/5  rDev -30.9%

Aroma: Doughy and fresh yeast aromas up front. I don't mind it but the yeast smell is bordering on overpowering and I can get anything other than that. No esters or hop aroma. Odd.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy rich amber pour with sticky off-white head. Head retention is good.

Flavor: Some initial earthy bitterness, some mild pine tar resin, and a touch more doughy bread character. Balance is slightly bitter. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with lively, high carbonation. No warmth, creaminess, or astringency.

Overall impression: Had a hard time getting past the yeasty aroma. May have been an old sample but no way to tell. Won't try again.

2.52/5  rDev -30.6%

Wow, this was disappointing.

A: Light orange-brown body with small cap on the pour, which disappeared quickly, and therefore could leave no such thing as lacing.

S: Light citrus with underwhelming hop presence.

T: Slightly hoppy with some nutty malt, but overwhelmingly grainy with a slight citrus. The skunk of this beer was shocking. Not that it was overwhelmingly macro-esque, but for a Flying Dog product, it was too much.

M: Mediocre at best.

D: This was the first on-tap beer in a long time that I have not finished. I was shocked, appalled, and most relevantly, disgusted.
I want to blame the bar, but they're normally good with their taps. I'll give it a second chance when possible, but for now, this stands.

2.53/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cherry color. Light foam. Good perlage.
In the smell american hop, grapefruit, and, overall, piney resin.
At the first sip, it tends to slip away. You can expect some more, considering the intensity of the smell.
Malt, light caramel, a light body, and a strong hoppiness in the aftertaste.
A light balsamic note. Piney resin. A little unbalanced. It is like to walk in a pine wood.
The monotone smell tends to make it a little boring.

2.58/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance is pretty good actually. The head is nice, but the lacing doesn't stick. Brown in color.

Smell is hoppy and slightly fruity.

Taste is a little watery and a little skunky.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery, but I guess even water can be good.

Drinkability isn't so great.

2.6/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance has a golden brown with a one finger bubbly head that quickly fizzles away to no remnants. Smells mildly hoppy but nothing to sharp or fancy. The Taste is mild as well with no real lingering hop taste on the back of the tongue or on the taste buds, the hops wash away quickly as you swallow with a flavor of something sweet as it goes down. Mouthfeel is lighly carbonated with nothing very exciting in the way of flavor. Mildly put it is a mild tasting beer. Would recommend this to someone who is getting into craft beer drinking. Mild hops.

2.61/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured a fantastic blend of ruby and copper. It is almost like looking at a shiny penny in the sunlight. Very little head but what did pour stayed quite nicely. The head had an off-white color very similar to french vanilla ice creamm.

The odor was laced with more of a yeast odor then I expect, but I noted a slight aroma of sour apple. I really had to struggle to note the apple over the yeast.

The first taste hit my palate and struck me as very disappointing. I didn't find much of a taste at all. It was almost like drinking water. On a second sip, I did catch a big taste of the yeast I noted in the aroma. This beer had more aftertaste then actual taste.

While I was seriously let down from apperance and aroma to odor, the beer did have a good feel in my mouth. I was pleased that it wasn't a watery pale ale.

Overall, I can't recommend this beer to anyone who wants to do anything except try it just to see for themselves. I won't go as far as to say I won't drink it ever again, but it would have to be one of a limited selection of big brewery macros, such as Bud Light or Coors, for me to choose it.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

My wife and I went out for dinner last weekend and I decided to give this one a try.

I sent it back.

It was not horrible. it did not melt paint. But my general feeling is that if I am paying six dollars a pint, I want the beer to sit up and then perform for me.

Mouthfeel was thin and there was none of the body I have come to associate with a Pale Ale.

2.63/5  rDev -27.5%

This beer was poured into a plastic cup before I corrected the bartender, asking her for a glass. The beer was a dark red-orange color with a well-retained finger-depth head. The smell was hoppy and bready, like the taste. This one was more bitter than I like my pale ales, but to each his own. It had a strong carbonation and was not the beer I settled on.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I am definitely not a hophead but I am willing to give IPAs and Pale Ales a chance. Aroma is purely of hops with a bit of alcohol. Smells like heather flowers more so. The hops flavor was a bit too much for me, rather strong. Unfortunately this was a drain pour. But it is still decent, and one of the better examples I have had.

2.65/5  rDev -27%

poured into a perfect pint.

poured a clear, off-orange color with a decent head, kind of like lumpy with small traces of lace.

smells basic, a lightly blended mix of hops and fruits. a bit of grapefuit and orange. flavor was sub par. did not enjoy it. no where near as much hops as they made it out to be, and it just wasn't that good. light body with high amounts of carbonation like most flying dogs seem to be

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an amber color with a thin white head and minimal lacing.

Smell is very minimul with just a hint of caramel malt and a slight hop odor.

Taste is very non descript. A very minor maltiness with the absolute smallest amount of hops, nothing special overall.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Drinkability is also very average, no reason to seak out this drab beer.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

2.69/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack. 200A05 printed on the lower corner of the label. july 31 05 I assume.

Pours out clear amber bordering on caramel in color, with a thick two finger head you could almost float a quarter on. Looks promising.

Aroma is light caramel and grapefruit.

Flavor is sort of bland, a little caramel and some citrus zest.

Not too bad, I'd have it again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Ok bought in the 12 oz brown long neck.I hate the label..I am not a big fan of Ralph Steadman.
as poured into a british style pint mug the beer has a crystal clear brown colour with a off white almost tan head that goes fast but does leave some good lace.
Smell is very nicevery chocolaty and with great hop undertones.
Taste however is a shocking let down.. a micro second of sweet maltiness is followed by a rather acrid bitterness..that annoys my taste buds..not good.
Mouthfeel is pretty average..bit watery.
I did not find this drinkable due to the horrible taste.
Maybe I just picked up a bad bottle or something..but this was not good..Its safe to say I will stick to Full Sail Pale or SNPA when in the mood for a pale.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours an amber color with little head after a very aggressive pour.

Not much smell other than some biscuit.

Taste has a bit of hop and maybe a slight citrus. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. This is not a terrible beer, but not worth seeking out again.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tall mug

A- clear amber/copper color, very little head, head disappeared almost immediately. No lacing at all.

s- strong floral scent, a little pine in there too

t- strong hops flavor, strong bitter aftertaste. There is a faint citrus taste hiding in there too. I think I prefer the taste of an IPA over an APA

m- not a lot of carbonation, dry finish

d- too much bitter aftertaste for me to drink more than one. Not necessarily a bad beer, I just don't think it's my type.

Overall, it's my least favorite Flying Dog so far

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

This ale pours with modest amounts of white head that lasts a little over one minute. The body is a lightly hazed, amber loaded with orange colors.

The beer presents a lightly-hopped nose with a balancing malt presence. Slightly citrusy when cold with touches of lemon.

Naturally, this ale starts moderately hoppy with only a faint malt sweetness. The finish is loaded with hop spice and unforunately, a slightly metallic flavor. Sharp, bitter flavors rise as it warms.

Mouthfeel is just barely carbonated, spicy and a little slick.

Drinkability is slightly below average due to the metallic and overly bitter flavors. Nothing to see here. Move along to much better examples.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a brown bottle featuring a dog with mechanical wings and a fan on the label.

A: poured with an adequate head that's not particularly dense. Brassy-copper color.

S: Unexpected hop kick at first smell. Really quite cedary with some lemon touches. Mineral touches. All in all, after the first smell becomes rather weak.

T: Sweet. Honey. Caramel. Segues into a not-overpowering bitterness that's very pleasant in the finish. Basically not much flavor. What is there diminishes quick.

M: Medium bodied. Hardly notice the carbonation at all. Coating and full.

Overall: Nice little pale ale but it just doesn't bring it on. The smell fades quick and the taste fleets pretty fast itself. Wish everything was ramped up a bit because there's simply not much there.

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Airy toast is diluted by the thick carbon dioxide presence. Hops are weakly piney, not really able to register.

T: Begins dry, with moderate pale malt that definitely brings more toast than in the smell, as well as some caramel. Carbonic acidity is fairly aggressive toward the middle, largely blocking any hop aromatics that might otherwise develop. There is a thread of medium roast that injects some interest back into the flavor during the middle while esters are also detected. The finish is mildly grainy and herbaceous, with faint bitterness that does not linger.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Basically a forgettable contribution to the style, this pale ale apologizes at every opportunity with the hope that no one will find it unappealing--and cuts corners in the process. Hops could be described as ghost-like here, if only there were some actually haunting this beer. The most surprising thing about this beer is that it is allowed on the menu at Beachwood BBQ.

Doggie Style Classic Pale Ale from Flying Dog Brewery