Old Scratch Amber Lager - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Scratch Amber Lager Alström Bros

4.88/5  rDev +42.7%

A: Good looking beer. Didn't get much of a look at it since I ordered one in a dimly lit bar.

S: Smelled sweet and malty. I liked it

T: Very sweet with a hint of maple. I don't remember it being bitter but I had already had a few other brews in me and that usually kills the bitterness of later beers.

M: Very light and easy to take when you're just planning to have a good night with friends without dealing with sub par beer.

D: Very drinkable. The kind of beer you would want to go to if you plan on drinking for a while and you want something with actual taste. I guess I would call it a "fun" beer

Got lucky and I got to drink not one, but two of these last night. Will definitely buy this again next time I plan on drinking with a crowd of people. I had 2 complex brews and a cheap adjunct before this so it was a nice way to end the night.

Basically a fun beer that is very tasty and good to drink when the beer isn't the most important part of the night.

4.8/5  rDev +40.4%

I just want to point out, this beer is very true to it's style. It's always good to have them, they give you a point of reference and reverence! It's got a pleasant taste throughout, and it's got a great citrus quality to it. Setting at 19.5 IBU, combined with hints of caramel and citrus, is like a bunch of angry little leprechauns bouncing on see saws on your palate! A must have in the cooler this summer for sure!

4.72/5  rDev +38%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one good looking amber in my book. I enjoy the color of the beer. It is sort of in between a dark and a light. I got my first Scratch in my Beer of the Month Club and I have been searching for more ever since. This is an easy drinking beer that is tied for first as my favorite beer at the moment. The bad part is trying to find more of the beer where I am located. I would highly recommend any beer from the Flying Dog. I sampled quite of few of their tasty treats at the World Beer Festival in Raliegh, NC in April 2006.

4.72/5  rDev +38%

Tasted the Old Scratch on Tap at the Blue Moon Cafe in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.

I am a big fan of SACKETS HARBOR BREWING COMPANY - War of 1812 Amber Ale, but this is a step above. What a great beer, great mouth feel, no bitter after taste, exceptional drinkability and down right tasty!!! I love it ...

4.7/5  rDev +37.4%

Appearance: Dark Amber with a fizzy white head that has limited retention.

Smell: Roasted grain malt with some sweet herbal aromas.

Taste: Sweet malt with some mild herbal notes. Mild bitterness and yet very mellow. This Lager favors the malt side with its medium caramel flavors and a hint of yeast.

Mouthfeel: A pleasent mellow, semi-dry and moderately bitter finish.

Drinkability: Legit one of the best beers I have ever had. It's not as smooth as Yuengling Lager but is a bit sweeter and less bitter than yuengling.

4.68/5  rDev +36.8%

A- Nice Copper Straw color with a quickly disappearing head.

S- Malty with a slight hint of caramel and hops just in the distance.

T- Big malt inital taste with just a bit of bitterness on the end. Almost reminds me of a Mibock.

M- Smooth and tasty with a hint of sweet and dry at the end.

D- I love the balance of this beer, malty with a hoppy bitter finish.

Wavz

4.63/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking-went down smoothly.
Perfect to accompany food-complimented flavors perfectly !
This went well with both normal food, but was quite refreshing with spicy food.
My companion thought it was eminently drinkable; attractive flavor and color, with balanced body.
"Food friendly" and thoroughly enjoyable.

4.53/5  rDev +32.5%

A - Beer poured a very tall head with an aggressive pour, wound down to a thin covering with some lacing.

S - WOW. Initially smelled this three times and each time I was surprised with the strong smell. It takes the typical amber lager aroma to another level. As good as it gets in the style.

T - Beer has strong malty sweet amber lager flavors.

Really surprised with how flavorful this beer was. Could see some problems with people thinking it was slightly too weak as it is initially, but finishes with lots of taste so a very good amber lager IMO.

4.52/5  rDev +32.2%

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Old Scratch Amber Lager from Flying Dog Brewery