Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,176 | Hads: 3,097
4.83/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very similar to Raging Bitch. It has nice grapefruit hops, it's not bitter. It has caramel malts. Its great tasting American Ale. Luv it, Luv it!

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

As soon as I saw the bottle it was like wtf...but not knowing what was instore for my taste buds nothing but a delicious drink. Not to cold not warm just at a perfect temp enough to taste every single citrus flavor with ease. Highly recommended to me and now highly recommended to others..

4.67/5  rDev +31.2%

Appearance: Crystal clear orange/golden hue with an off white head that dissipates fast.

Smell: Wonderful citrusy/earthy hop aroma dominates. Practically perfect.

Taste: Hops dominate. Fruity taste comes through with the hops and I don't think its esters so it must be from the hops. Grasy flavors come through as well with slight citrus. Excellent. One of the best IPA's I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light mouthfeel. Medium Carbed accentuates the flavors nicely.

Drinkability: On par with the best I've had in this style. Well done Flying dog!

NOTE: I'm editing my review because I realized I'm the highest reviewer of this beer out of 500+ reviews. If you sort by date, you'll notice the higher reviews are more recent, while the lower ones are 4-5 years ago. Maybe they've changed the recipe or process? I still think this is one of the better IPA's I've had. Very close to my fav of Great divide's Titan IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured into a Great Lakes stout glass. Beautiful white foamy head that lingered for a little bit. Great deep gold color.

Earthy aroma, which is very pleasant and refreshing. Hints of pine and citrus poke through.

This is a huge IPA! I wish more breweries would set this brew as a standard and then take off from there. It's highly hop dominated (thanks to the Columbus) but there is a subtle caramel malt backbone that is hard to pick out if you're not paying attention. Big Flavour!!!

This brew has an almost oily residue that seems to hang around in your mouth. Kind of like a coating...possibly from all the hop oils??? Not too chewy, not too thin, just right. Great carbonation.

I could definitely have more than one in a row. Refreshing but keeps you wanting just one more sip...dangerous!

4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

This beer pours an amber color with ample carbonation (noticing a pattern here). Aroma is faint with hints of hops (is that Cascade I smell?) and a touch of fruitiness. Taste is interesting. There's a hop bite up front that quickly leaves a nice touch of bitterness on the tongue. Not overpowering and the finish is dry. I would say it's a decent IPA for the style. To me, an IPA has to have that touch of bitterness or else it's not really an IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

Snake Dog IPA
Flying Dog Brewery
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.10 %

Reviewed @ home - bottle > Imp Pint glass, 11/9/08
A 3.5 - golden copper color, almost cloudy, solid 2 finger head but gone quick
S 4.0 - hops center stage, malt and citrus sneak in some smells
T 5.0 - tastes as it smells, hops are a big presence, but are followed up with a nice malt profile, hints of citrus creep in also
MF 4.0 - medium body on palate, thin on finish, medium carbo - spot on carbo
5.0 - I dig the bottle/label, the availability, the price ($8/sixer), and the taste of this solid IPA. It's just my style. I drink it when I need a hop fix and it's semi "affordable" for a craft brew. The FD brews always make me smile.

4.55/5  rDev +27.8%

this summer I crossed the border into upstate New York searching for as many craft brew IPAs as I could find.

Of all the ones I tasted, this was my favourite - lots of bitterness, great flavour, and easy on the carbonation. I am not fond of overly carbonated beer that fills the glass with foam on the first pour.

I also tried their porter which I would not rate nearly as high,
I will search out other Flying Dog beer to taste, since I am very impressed with the snake dog.

4.54/5  rDev +27.5%

I can't seem to understand why this IPA is rated so low... I wasn't expecting much not only because of the ratings, but because the majority of Flying Dog beers I've had have been mediocre, but this was very tasty (and even on sale at Baker's, a regional chain grocery store in Omaha).

The beer poured to a very clean and clear golden amber color with a thick and fluffy, dimpled white head. Leaves a nice sheet of lacing. Carbonation is quite active.

The smell is like a very ripe grapefruit mixed with other citrus hop flavors. Judging by the juiciness of the bouqet, I'd guess that this beer is hopped with amarillo. Smells like bubblegum almost (Gumballhead springs to mind).

The taste is also ripe with juicy amarillo flavors. Has a sweet malty backbone that matches the slight bitter mouthfeel quite nicely. The finish has a great residual hop bitter along with the juicy hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy and sweet with a subtle and lasting bitter. Quite good. Quite drinkable. I'm almost glad that the liquor store I originally wanted to go to was closed leaving this beer as a shining choice in the more limited selection.

edit: after reading some of the reviews previous to mine, I'm almost wondering if we were drinking the same beer. I don't have a single complaint against this beer, even regardless of the fact I have had better IPAs.

4.54/5  rDev +27.5%

A- pours a really nice amber/ brown color with a big white head and ALOT of nice lacing
S- like pot, and not bad pot ... the really really good stuff ( im a deadhead/phish head...) ive smelled it before.... , wow , really refreshing and fresh
T- tastes like pot, hops, flowers, as refreshing as a DIPA
M- Smooth, the ingrediants really come through nice, not the least bit synthetic, very fresh
D- very nice, I could drink this all night.. for many many reasons

4.53/5  rDev +27.2%

I've always been a fan of IPAs and once I seen flying dog snake dog I had to try it. What I look for most in a IPA is the hops and the biterness value. I love the bitterness of IPAs and this beer has it. The hops are not overwhelming but you can definetly tell its a IPA. I think that flying dogs style has great redrinkability as it is not overwhelmingly bitter like most other IPAs. The mouthfeel is great and this beer has a great bite. With 7.1 abv you can't really taste the alcohol but I like this in a IPA. I'm sick of seeing IPAs with 5% abv. Overall this is a great beer and it did not dissapoint.

4.52/5  rDev +27%

This is an IPA for the bitter hop lover. Pours very golden, with a good tan head that clings to my glass. Aroma is really more malty than hoppy, with camamel maltiness poking through like a german doppelbock in the nose. Taste has a distinct maltiness, which is accompanied and overran by a good dose of hoppy bitterness. The hops bring an adequate citrous taste too, but provide a great dry bitterness. Good slick mouthfeel, and very drinkable. This is a good , very balanced and sweet IPA.

4.52/5  rDev +27%

This is one of those rare beers which I have the opportunity to review in multiple serving types, all of which actually exist. I knew that Flying Dog had begun CANning their beers, but I did not realize that this was one of them until my recent visit to a bottle shop in Ardmore. The CANQuest (TM) always benefits from these finds!

From the CAN: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake - they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistible, for it's the forked tongue she prefers."; "'It snakes down the throat like a faithful friend' - Anna Steadman"; "'Good people drink good beer' - Hunter S. Thompson" Rest assured that the spent CAN with its Steadman art will go into my Collection of Cool Stuff.

The Crack revealed a puppy that was eager to come out and play. The Glug netted me two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head that fell more quickly than I could type. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of winter snow in an evergreen forest - cool, minty and man, was my hops jones starting to act up. I had a Victory Hop Devil on the way home tonight and to follow it up with this was to invite trouble. I live for trouble, however, and dove in like the world was about to end. Mouthfeel was medium and the minty hops went to work scrubbing all of those weak, hanger-on taste buds off of my tongue. Phew! My mouth was alive like not in a long time and that snake was slithering around like he knew exactly where he was headed. Yeah, down my throat like a faithful friend. My eyes watered and I gasped for breath as it coiled around my neck with its intense dryness. Jeez-O, man, I've used antiperspirants that were less dry. I was ready for another hit, I mean, swallow and so I lifted the glass back up to my swollen lips ... This is NOT a beer for the faint of heart, but given my habit(s), I CAN shoot the works whenever the opportunity arises. Man and boy, this is a definite CANdidate for Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) as it is sure to take the chill off.

4.51/5  rDev +26.7%

a-beautiful. pours a medium deep golden, a three+ finger, light tan head that, from the bottom, slowly creeps to the top...as the head settles, an incredible lacing clings hard and consistent all around...no odd mutated trapezoids, but nice round or oval lacing marks, similar to what you see when a pancake needs to be turned over. a nice chunky head of 1/4 inch holds its ground after 2 minutes. nice.

s-there's the intensity i had hoped for in the classic pale...hops hops hops. it doesn't leap out of the glass. gotta get you nose in there, but when you do, it's THERE.

t-no, this isn't Ruination, hop orcs attacking you unawares...but it's not supposed to be. i think the new extremes and high standards have made us forget about basics. this has everything an IPA is supposed to have in flavor. there's a wonderful, cream-malty 'finish' (as we say in bourbon parlance) that really completes this bottling. i am surprised it seems so unintense to others. i can see this being a late winter/early spring session beer. easily.

m-smooth, thicker than the classic for sure, hops are truly snaking up the olfactory sense. nice carbonation tingling along the way. very complete again.

d-quite so. complex enough alone to simply enjoy, but i think it would pair up quite well with many foods. grilled seafood, pizza bianca. so far, my favorite FD brew.

one odd complaint...minor...but the labels on all these FD bottles are really applied poorly...alot of crinkles...peeling off...what's up with that? heck, if you're going to do paper, make it crisp like Dogfish Head. or do the permanent Stone Brewing style of print. with this wonderful Steadman art, you'd think it would be done better...

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Nice amber color with good God almighty head retention! !!!

Nose: All I can smell is hops, some morehops, .. & then some malts///

Taste: Tastes of hops malts & vallhalA

moithfeel & drinkinesesss....tHE LAST 2 COLUMNS ARE SUMMED UP AS.... yum& then some yummmm...

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Color: sits a nice clear, golden brown with a slight amber hue

Smell: very strong piny hoppiness. minute amount of maltiness

Taste: pretty much same as aroma. great, strong hop presence. only a slight amount of malt - just enough keep the hops from being really course

Mouthfeel: full-light body. moderate carbonation.

Notes: the more styles i drink from flying dog the more i fall in love with this brewery. this is one of the best straight-up, no frills IPAs ive had. its litter-mate, Double Dog, is also one of my favorites with the difference only being a more aromatic, floral and sweeter structure

4.48/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Into a pint glass:

A: slightly hazy amber colored body with a fairly large white lumpy head that slowly dissipates into a small lightly foamy lacing

S: rich fruity and extremely sweet maltiness. Some caramel was slightly noticed as well.

T: centered around the normal bitter hops of an IPA but also had a very good malty backbone.

M: light to medium, smooth, sessionable, bitter aftertaste, no finish

O: this is an extremely well balanced IPA that I would come back to.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Don't know why this one is rated so low but i think that it is great. Pours a nice clear amber color with a decent off white head. Little to no lacing but the aroma and taste makeup for it. The aroma comes out with a great blend between hops and malt and the taste is like Oh Yeah! Not bitter at all, goes down nice and smooth. My bottle says 7.1% and at that rate i could get tipsy off these bad boys pretty easily. I personally say that this is a must try.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

A - Beer poured an amber/orange color with a thin but sufficiently covering head.

S - Smell was definitely citrus, but I can't exactly pinpoint any variety. Very pleasant though.

T - Beer tastes very good. Not overpowering, but still has a late IPA kick to it.

Overall I really like this one. A very good IPA with good drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Had this at the bar a while back and I found it to be much better than I ever remember it being. Just the other day I bought a sixer and boy Im glad I did. Very clear gold/amber with a firm head. Good retention and lots of sticky lace. Smells like cannabis, a lot like cannabis, like really, really good cannabis. Very pungent. Checked out the website and its dry hopped with Columbus hops which the only way Ive ever been able to describe their aroma is that they smell like dank weed. Flavour starts out hoppy in that Columbus way. Kind of citrusy but not really, maybe a bit of pine but not quite, really hard to pin these hops down. Sweet crystal malt flavour in the middle, which becomes much more pronounced as the beer warms up, finished off by a well rounded bitterness that doesnt completley scrub away the sweet malt. Perfect medium body and carbonation. I really like this IPA. I dont remember it ever tasting so good. Yes please Ill have another!

4.45/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am currently enjoying my first flying dog ipa as i write this review. I am very impress by this beer. This is without a doubt one of the top three ipa brews that i have tasted this year. The smell is excellent, the appearance is great, and the taste is exceptional. I certainly recommend this brew to anyone who wants to experience an exceptional IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

Pours a nice dark copper with some decent head and a bit of nice lacing. Excellent scent, very hoppy with wonderful citrus and slight floral tones, with the hint of malt in the background. Nice taste, excellent use of hops for bittering, aroma, and flavor; great citrus hop flavor with a nice bitter aftertaste. Excellent brew.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

crystal clear. nice copper color. big head retention.

smells like hops. lots of hops. grassy floral hops. smells a little bit malty too.

malty up front. big time hop flavor nice hop bitterness. not overpowering. grassy citrus hop flavor. the hop flavor lingers well past the finish.

this is a medium body ale with a nice medium crisp finish typical of an ale.

very good ipa. very straight forward, but by no means an underachiever.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

This pours an appetizing dark brownish amber with an off-white head. Aroma is seriously hoppy and has strong hint of evergreen, promising a very hoppy beer. Flavor is as fiercely hoppy as the aroma and even has an evergreen component. Bitterness is mild. Texture is very lively and zingy. Recommended to all hop fanatics.

4.41/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Overall, I found this IPA to be very refreshing. Pours dark golden, with a frothy head of about two fingers. Smell was unimpressive and the weakest characteristic of the beer. Taste was crisp and yet juicy; lots of citrus and hops. Very flavorful. Mouthfeel was good, but not as good as something like 90 minute or Sculpin. Overall, this was a very enjoyable beer paired with awesome art (the bottle was placed over the fireplace as a trophy). Will pick this up again if I run across it.

4.41/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a- pours a dark, somewhat opaque amber... verry small almost no head, very little/no lacing

s- FLORAL! is all i get

t- not overly hoppy, but still has a considerable bite

m- seems to be lacking carbonation, but served very cold it is pleasant

d- drinks very well for an IPA, certainly on the hoppy side

this review makes it sound not so great, but i really enjoyed this IPA. Seems a hair unbalanced, as it is very very floral, but it isnt overly hopped. not my favorite IPA but ill buy it again

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery