Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros

4.78/5  rDev +34.3%

As soon as I saw the bottle it was like wtf...but not knowing what was instore for my taste buds nothing but a delicious drink. Not to cold not warm just at a perfect temp enough to taste every single citrus flavor with ease. Highly recommended to me and now highly recommended to others..

4.7/5  rDev +32%

Appearance: Crystal clear orange/golden hue with an off white head that dissipates fast.

Smell: Wonderful citrusy/earthy hop aroma dominates. Practically perfect.

Taste: Hops dominate. Fruity taste comes through with the hops and I don't think its esters so it must be from the hops. Grasy flavors come through as well with slight citrus. Excellent. One of the best IPA's I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light mouthfeel. Medium Carbed accentuates the flavors nicely.

Drinkability: On par with the best I've had in this style. Well done Flying dog!

NOTE: I'm editing my review because I realized I'm the highest reviewer of this beer out of 500+ reviews. If you sort by date, you'll notice the higher reviews are more recent, while the lower ones are 4-5 years ago. Maybe they've changed the recipe or process? I still think this is one of the better IPA's I've had. Very close to my fav of Great divide's Titan IPA.

4.7/5  rDev +32%

Poured into a Great Lakes stout glass. Beautiful white foamy head that lingered for a little bit. Great deep gold color.

Earthy aroma, which is very pleasant and refreshing. Hints of pine and citrus poke through.

This is a huge IPA! I wish more breweries would set this brew as a standard and then take off from there. It's highly hop dominated (thanks to the Columbus) but there is a subtle caramel malt backbone that is hard to pick out if you're not paying attention. Big Flavour!!!

This brew has an almost oily residue that seems to hang around in your mouth. Kind of like a coating...possibly from all the hop oils??? Not too chewy, not too thin, just right. Great carbonation.

I could definitely have more than one in a row. Refreshing but keeps you wanting just one more sip...dangerous!

4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

This beer pours an amber color with ample carbonation (noticing a pattern here). Aroma is faint with hints of hops (is that Cascade I smell?) and a touch of fruitiness. Taste is interesting. There's a hop bite up front that quickly leaves a nice touch of bitterness on the tongue. Not overpowering and the finish is dry. I would say it's a decent IPA for the style. To me, an IPA has to have that touch of bitterness or else it's not really an IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

Snake Dog IPA
Flying Dog Brewery
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.10 %

Reviewed @ home - bottle > Imp Pint glass, 11/9/08
A 3.5 - golden copper color, almost cloudy, solid 2 finger head but gone quick
S 4.0 - hops center stage, malt and citrus sneak in some smells
T 5.0 - tastes as it smells, hops are a big presence, but are followed up with a nice malt profile, hints of citrus creep in also
MF 4.0 - medium body on palate, thin on finish, medium carbo - spot on carbo
5.0 - I dig the bottle/label, the availability, the price ($8/sixer), and the taste of this solid IPA. It's just my style. I drink it when I need a hop fix and it's semi "affordable" for a craft brew. The FD brews always make me smile.

4.6/5  rDev +29.2%

this summer I crossed the border into upstate New York searching for as many craft brew IPAs as I could find.

Of all the ones I tasted, this was my favourite - lots of bitterness, great flavour, and easy on the carbonation. I am not fond of overly carbonated beer that fills the glass with foam on the first pour.

I also tried their porter which I would not rate nearly as high,
I will search out other Flying Dog beer to taste, since I am very impressed with the snake dog.

4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

This is one of those rare beers which I have the opportunity to review in multiple serving types, all of which actually exist. I knew that Flying Dog had begun CANning their beers, but I did not realize that this was one of them until my recent visit to a bottle shop in Ardmore. The CANQuest (TM) always benefits from these finds!

From the CAN: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake - they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistible, for it's the forked tongue she prefers."; "'It snakes down the throat like a faithful friend' - Anna Steadman"; "'Good people drink good beer' - Hunter S. Thompson" Rest assured that the spent CAN with its Steadman art will go into my Collection of Cool Stuff.

The Crack revealed a puppy that was eager to come out and play. The Glug netted me two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head that fell more quickly than I could type. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of winter snow in an evergreen forest - cool, minty and man, was my hops jones starting to act up. I had a Victory Hop Devil on the way home tonight and to follow it up with this was to invite trouble. I live for trouble, however, and dove in like the world was about to end. Mouthfeel was medium and the minty hops went to work scrubbing all of those weak, hanger-on taste buds off of my tongue. Phew! My mouth was alive like not in a long time and that snake was slithering around like he knew exactly where he was headed. Yeah, down my throat like a faithful friend. My eyes watered and I gasped for breath as it coiled around my neck with its intense dryness. Jeez-O, man, I've used antiperspirants that were less dry. I was ready for another hit, I mean, swallow and so I lifted the glass back up to my swollen lips ... This is NOT a beer for the faint of heart, but given my habit(s), I CAN shoot the works whenever the opportunity arises. Man and boy, this is a definite CANdidate for Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) as it is sure to take the chill off.

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery