Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros

dji43466, Nov 27, 2012

Barrchon, Nov 25, 2011

Bodeman, Dec 07, 2011

r00ster, Jun 04, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +34.3%

As soon as I saw the bottle it was like wtf...but not knowing what was instore for my taste buds nothing but a delicious drink. Not to cold not warm just at a perfect temp enough to taste every single citrus flavor with ease. Highly recommended to me and now highly recommended to others..

beergambit, Jul 24, 2010

NIURicky, May 03, 2013

Hanselpb, Jan 12, 2013

ejane, Aug 22, 2013

JKbeerlover, Apr 19, 2014

Dapperticus, Jan 17, 2013

Doug_Skipper, Oct 12, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +32%

Appearance: Crystal clear orange/golden hue with an off white head that dissipates fast.

Smell: Wonderful citrusy/earthy hop aroma dominates. Practically perfect.

Taste: Hops dominate. Fruity taste comes through with the hops and I don't think its esters so it must be from the hops. Grasy flavors come through as well with slight citrus. Excellent. One of the best IPA's I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light mouthfeel. Medium Carbed accentuates the flavors nicely.

Drinkability: On par with the best I've had in this style. Well done Flying dog!

NOTE: I'm editing my review because I realized I'm the highest reviewer of this beer out of 500+ reviews. If you sort by date, you'll notice the higher reviews are more recent, while the lower ones are 4-5 years ago. Maybe they've changed the recipe or process? I still think this is one of the better IPA's I've had. Very close to my fav of Great divide's Titan IPA.

Squelch, Sep 04, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +32%

Poured into a Great Lakes stout glass. Beautiful white foamy head that lingered for a little bit. Great deep gold color.

Earthy aroma, which is very pleasant and refreshing. Hints of pine and citrus poke through.

This is a huge IPA! I wish more breweries would set this brew as a standard and then take off from there. It's highly hop dominated (thanks to the Columbus) but there is a subtle caramel malt backbone that is hard to pick out if you're not paying attention. Big Flavour!!!

This brew has an almost oily residue that seems to hang around in your mouth. Kind of like a coating...possibly from all the hop oils??? Not too chewy, not too thin, just right. Great carbonation.

I could definitely have more than one in a row. Refreshing but keeps you wanting just one more sip...dangerous!

otersen73, Aug 27, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +30.1%

This beer pours an amber color with ample carbonation (noticing a pattern here). Aroma is faint with hints of hops (is that Cascade I smell?) and a touch of fruitiness. Taste is interesting. There's a hop bite up front that quickly leaves a nice touch of bitterness on the tongue. Not overpowering and the finish is dry. I would say it's a decent IPA for the style. To me, an IPA has to have that touch of bitterness or else it's not really an IPA.

Brad007, Jun 02, 2007

ABV: 7.10 %

Reviewed @ home - bottle > Imp Pint glass, 11/9/08
A 3.5 - golden copper color, almost cloudy, solid 2 finger head but gone quick
S 4.0 - hops center stage, malt and citrus sneak in some smells
T 5.0 - tastes as it smells, hops are a big presence, but are followed up with a nice malt profile, hints of citrus creep in also
MF 4.0 - medium body on palate, thin on finish, medium carbo - spot on carbo
5.0 - I dig the bottle/label, the availability, the price ($8/sixer), and the taste of this solid IPA. It's just my style. I drink it when I need a hop fix and it's semi "affordable" for a craft brew. The FD brews always make me smile.

unclejimbay, Feb 20, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +29.2%

this summer I crossed the border into upstate New York searching for as many craft brew IPAs as I could find.

Of all the ones I tasted, this was my favourite - lots of bitterness, great flavour, and easy on the carbonation. I am not fond of overly carbonated beer that fills the glass with foam on the first pour.

I also tried their porter which I would not rate nearly as high,
I will search out other Flying Dog beer to taste, since I am very impressed with the snake dog.

patdrive, Nov 05, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

This is one of those rare beers which I have the opportunity to review in multiple serving types, all of which actually exist. I knew that Flying Dog had begun CANning their beers, but I did not realize that this was one of them until my recent visit to a bottle shop in Ardmore. The CANQuest (TM) always benefits from these finds!

From the CAN: "He slithers through the city in search of his face. No place too seedy, no place too fake - they're all on the menu tonight. And of course she'll find him irresistible, for it's the forked tongue she prefers."; "'It snakes down the throat like a faithful friend' - Anna Steadman"; "'Good people drink good beer' - Hunter S. Thompson" Rest assured that the spent CAN with its Steadman art will go into my Collection of Cool Stuff.

The Crack revealed a puppy that was eager to come out and play. The Glug netted me two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head that fell more quickly than I could type. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of winter snow in an evergreen forest - cool, minty and man, was my hops jones starting to act up. I had a Victory Hop Devil on the way home tonight and to follow it up with this was to invite trouble. I live for trouble, however, and dove in like the world was about to end. Mouthfeel was medium and the minty hops went to work scrubbing all of those weak, hanger-on taste buds off of my tongue. Phew! My mouth was alive like not in a long time and that snake was slithering around like he knew exactly where he was headed. Yeah, down my throat like a faithful friend. My eyes watered and I gasped for breath as it coiled around my neck with its intense dryness. Jeez-O, man, I've used antiperspirants that were less dry. I was ready for another hit, I mean, swallow and so I lifted the glass back up to my swollen lips ... This is NOT a beer for the faint of heart, but given my habit(s), I CAN shoot the works whenever the opportunity arises. Man and boy, this is a definite CANdidate for Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) as it is sure to take the chill off.

woodychandler, Oct 16, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

I've always been a fan of IPAs and once I seen flying dog snake dog I had to try it. What I look for most in a IPA is the hops and the biterness value. I love the bitterness of IPAs and this beer has it. The hops are not overwhelming but you can definetly tell its a IPA. I think that flying dogs style has great redrinkability as it is not overwhelmingly bitter like most other IPAs. The mouthfeel is great and this beer has a great bite. With 7.1 abv you can't really taste the alcohol but I like this in a IPA. I'm sick of seeing IPAs with 5% abv. Overall this is a great beer and it did not dissapoint.

JasonL, Jun 01, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +27.2%

a-beautiful. pours a medium deep golden, a three+ finger, light tan head that, from the bottom, slowly creeps to the top...as the head settles, an incredible lacing clings hard and consistent all around...no odd mutated trapezoids, but nice round or oval lacing marks, similar to what you see when a pancake needs to be turned over. a nice chunky head of 1/4 inch holds its ground after 2 minutes. nice.

s-there's the intensity i had hoped for in the classic pale...hops hops hops. it doesn't leap out of the glass. gotta get you nose in there, but when you do, it's THERE.

t-no, this isn't Ruination, hop orcs attacking you unawares...but it's not supposed to be. i think the new extremes and high standards have made us forget about basics. this has everything an IPA is supposed to have in flavor. there's a wonderful, cream-malty 'finish' (as we say in bourbon parlance) that really completes this bottling. i am surprised it seems so unintense to others. i can see this being a late winter/early spring session beer. easily.

m-smooth, thicker than the classic for sure, hops are truly snaking up the olfactory sense. nice carbonation tingling along the way. very complete again.

d-quite so. complex enough alone to simply enjoy, but i think it would pair up quite well with many foods. grilled seafood, pizza bianca. so far, my favorite FD brew.

one odd complaint...minor...but the labels on all these FD bottles are really applied poorly...alot of crinkles...peeling off...what's up with that? heck, if you're going to do paper, make it crisp like Dogfish Head. or do the permanent Stone Brewing style of print. with this wonderful Steadman art, you'd think it would be done better...

mempath, Mar 03, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +27.2%

This is an IPA for the bitter hop lover. Pours very golden, with a good tan head that clings to my glass. Aroma is really more malty than hoppy, with camamel maltiness poking through like a german doppelbock in the nose. Taste has a distinct maltiness, which is accompanied and overran by a good dose of hoppy bitterness. The hops bring an adequate citrous taste too, but provide a great dry bitterness. Good slick mouthfeel, and very drinkable. This is a good , very balanced and sweet IPA.

avylover, May 27, 2004