Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros

2.03/5  rDev -43%

I almost poured this out upon first nose/taste, but decided to weather this storm. My opinion is close to most others - Happy with the appearance, but upon smell, and taste, could not find an affinity. Somewhat musty nose, also reminds me of an electrical-ion sort of essence. To me, not a lot of hop character, hardly drinkable, decided to sewer the last 6 ounces. Sorry Flying Dog, until now, I hadn't met an IPA I didn't like.

2.03/5  rDev -43%

12oz bottle poured into my Narke tulip...A dark but clear copper, lots of light tope head, good retention and lacing...At first the aroma is really nice and sweet but then the alcohol comes through, too strong so it starts to turn me off...The taste takes the aroma to a new level, all piney alcohol and incredibly strong, I almost gagged my first sip. This is beyond a beer for hop heads, this just needs to go away. Its as if they almost poured grain alcohol in the beer, how is this 7.1%.

Yuck!

2.05/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours a cloudy red brew.

Smell is too mild for an IPA, very mild hop and malt smell and that is all that there is.

Taste is sweet and weird. Noticeable hops but not really bitter and a weird pine and egg taste. An IPA should be drier than this. Yep Pine and egg flavor, how they did that I have no idea.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkable, but why would I want to drink this? YECH!

2.13/5  rDev -40.2%

A slightly darker shade of golden with slow rising bubbles. The head is not much more than a patchy skimming.
Like inhaling through a damp cloth, the aroma is all muted and obtuse. Bread and yeast come through as do green apples. Some citrus? Maybe. Toasted caramel? I guess. Mostly, it just smells wet.
Begins with a hollow maltiness. Vaporously toasty and toffee sweet. More breads and loads of yeast. Off flavors to boot. Metals and veggies and butter. Turns apple sour during the final half, increasingly so as it warms. Ends with a quick and flaccid UK hop snap.
Pale bodied and lifeless.
This is needy in almost every catagory. And I might be willing to forgive it, and relocate it as a half-assed sessionable brew. But the parade of off-flavors prohibit any generosity.
This is borderline sink-bound. Off and boring aren't things I embrace.

2.15/5  rDev -39.6%

[Appearance]: Amber orange color, clear, some carbonation, foamy head, lacing looks quite nice.
[Smell]: Bitter citrus nose.
[Taste]: Malty, bitter citrus (orange peel like) from the hops, I could detect some piney, some slight coffee at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Light bodied, carbonation is light, has harsh bitter coffee aftertaste that lingers.
[Drinkability]: Not too drinkable, very harsh.

Note: Probably the worst IPA I ever drank.

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

Saw this beer at my regular beverage store for the first time, so I had to try it. Cool label, but that was about it. Beer is definitely not an IPA. Tasted astingent with minimal hop presence. Color was an appealing orange, but taste and aroma were not pleasant. At ten dollars a sixer, I won't be drinking this again.

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

This beer is not good. My usual issue with IPA's is that they can be way too bitter. This beer is not bitter at all and has no hop aroma. Very malty. Carbonation dissipates really quickly...after writing this quick review, now I need to finish this flat, slightly warm beer.

Cool looking can.

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

Muddy, ruddy brown/amber with a big sticky head of foam. Aromas are of dirty water (no joke), and some sort of sickly sweet malt and hop combination. The taste is icky, with bad water, and sweet, tainted hops making this taste like horrible-ness. Mouthfeel is average but drinkability is horrible, as the aromas and flavors of this beer are just wrong. My first flying dog beer, from a super-fresh 12ouncer. I'm not interested in trying their other beers! (Well *maybe* the wild dog)

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%

12 oz bottle out of a Flying Dog mixed 12. Poured into a pint tumbler.

A: Poured a clear, golden amber that produced a light fluffy head. Not bad looking.

S: Smelled of citrus hops and sweet malt.

T: Tastes like a metallic bag of ass. All that I am getting is the metallic flavor with a touch of sweetness before it. Once again I think this must be their hops but every Flying Dog beer I drink has this metallic flavor. This is by far the worst.

M: It is smooth, clean and crisp but that metallic aftertaste lingers on your tongue.

D: Not for me. Wish I could chalk it up to a bad bottle but I have had several of these out of my optimistic nature, and each has failed me.

2.28/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger and a half off-white head, with quickly deteriorating retention and some foamy lacing. Dark golden color with nice clarity.

S- light fruits and citrus, sour mash, fruity hops and bitter malt backbone. Smooth and tart sort of smell.

T- Strange flavor that balances metallic bitterness with earthy hoppiness. Not digging this one. Watery in the background, too hop forward in the fore.

M- Slimy wetness, dry finish.

O- Unless you are a fan of the brewery or the style, avoid this one.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a nice, foamy 2 finger head. leaves lacing that stays after the beer is gone. the beer is a nice golden amber color. Good looking beer . . .

but it's all donwhill from there. Not much for the sniffer in this beer. Very very slight hoppiness. Nothing special. I even got a slight metallic smell as if it were still in the bottle.

Taste is on the same level with the smell. the hops don't stand out except for the bitterness on the back of the tongue. Very slight orange citrus. This beer probably leans more towards a regular pale ale as opposed to an IPA

Not very pleasing in the mouth. On my hand written notes, I put down that I could have a couple of these. I remember thinking that I would finish the 6 pack, but not buy it again. Now i'm looking at my glass, and there is a very tiny sip left. I don't know if I'll drink it.

I've tanked a local small brew. An IPA at that. I guess I'm officially a snob. This one was really disappointing, and I like this brewery.

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

12 ounce bottle. This beer pours out a clear copper color with minimal head. The aroma is unpleasant. The best I can describe it is juicy hops mostly covered by green apples and sour yeast. The flavor consists of the problems mentioned about the aroma plus a weird medicinal quality. The English hops are good, but not enough to safe this beer. This beer just barely safed itself from the sink.

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

I love IPAs, but what is going on here!?! Good color of a nice amber with thin white head that diminishes into a ring. Aroma is sweet with lots of grapefruit. Flavor is sweet at first with a strong taste of hoppy fruit and a tongue coating hoppiness that is not very bitter. The finish is long due to hoppy tongue coating but it might be due to the temperature i served it at (48 F). This is a crazy IPA that breaks boundaries set by the IPA style and seeks to blow the minds of it's drinkers. I don't like it as much at first as i might after finishing this sixer but it is definetly not a traditional west coast IPA. An excellent beer to try if you want to broaden horizens or at least raise eyebrows.

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%

Served in a rocks glass at Mellow Mushroom. From notes. Reviewed 2 July 2011.

A: Good two fingers of head. Decent retention. Clear yellow. It looks okay.

S: Distant grapefruit and hops. Limited and boring.

T: Ehhh. I don't like it. Not terrible, but the mundane hoppiness detracts from the otherwise any otherwise pleasant aspects of the flavour. The aftertaste is full of grainy alcohol.

M: Bah. Nothing good or bad; neutral.

O: Not recommended. Will not have again. It's not horrendous, but it's surprisingly poor. Not my cuppa tea and not a good example of an American IPA.

2.4/5  rDev -32.6%

This is a beer with too much hops. It starts off promising in appearance and scent: amber, cream head and a hoppy scent with a good malt body.

Taste is too much on the hoppy side. It is overly floral, with weak malt and a very distinct, unpleasant syrupy taste. Overly hopped and overly sweet. Okay carbonation, but this a very unbalanced taste for an IPA. It taste too hoppy and almost...creamy...at times. It took me almost three weeks to go through a six pack of this.

2.42/5  rDev -32%

Garnet copper in color with a short lived white head that slides into nothingness.

Aromas of buttery caramel, honeyed bread, and lemony citrus and earthy, dry pine.

Flavor is a dissapointment, buttery and undercooked dough malt notes are shadowed by highly bitter, astringent hops that have no actual flavor componants except raw bitterness.

Body is average, medium-bodied and smooth, but not too easy to drink due to the unbalanced ingredient profile. I do remember trying this before and not being crazy about it, but it wasn't as poor as this bottle, maybe it's been mishandled or misbrewed?

Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery