Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros
LiquidBreadMan

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours a faint gold with nary a head and average lacing. Nothing fantastic to look at, but no biggie. Strangely enough, the aroma of this brew reminds me of cheddar cheese alongside orange slices, sprinkled with crushed rosemary. I can honestly say that, while complex to the nose, I wasn't too excited about my first taste. But Snake Dog IPA gave me a pleasant surprise -- nicely hoppy on the tongue, with a peppery tangerine flavor, and a nicely bitter finish. Very dry too, which I like. This is a good beer. . . much better than I expected.

10-11-2006 21:11:34 | More by LiquidBreadMan
terrabyte

Wisconsin

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

This poured a clear, dark orange/yellow witha short, frothy head.

This smells like grassy hops, and something else. It's really different. There is a citris smell that is more lemony than grapefruit, also.

The flavor starts out light. It's sweet, has some citrus flavor, and then it really builds. After it crescendos, it turns into a tart, bitter aftertaste that puckers up your mouth. A pine flavor that I'm used to, but didn't exist in the smell comes through here.

I've been eating salty chips before this and now I feel like I've sandpapered my mouth. It's light, crisp, well carbonated without being foamy. The flavor dominates everything else though. I think it would take a lot of work to finish too many off these.

Nice change of pace from the other IPA's I've had. Do not consume if you have a canker sore.

10-11-2006 03:48:00 | More by terrabyte
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle Code 119A06, Sampled October 2006
Pours with a lightly hazy, amber tinged, copper color and is topped by an initially two and a half finger thick, billowy, pale tan colored head. The aroma is definitely hop focused with notes of grapefruit intermingled with pine and a sort of raw, almost dank hop note. Underneath the hops is a toasted grain character mixed with a touch of caramelized malt, which gives the beer a sweet finish to the aroma. There really is a sort of musky hop note here, almost like an herbaceous garlic note or something.

This beer starts out dry, and bready with a toasted grain edge to it. It quickly becomes quite hoppy with a bit of balancing malt sweetness. Solidly bitter, but also with flavorful hop character that has touches of pine, a solid citrus-like note of grapefruit, and even some of that herbaceous almost garlic like note. There seems to be a green apple like note here as well, it sort of melds in with the citrus character. The beer finishes with a raw, herbaceous, biting bitterness that lingers on in the palate well after the beer has left my mouth.

This beer is quite a bit more aggressive than I was expecting from Flying Dog, their other beers in the regular lineup are much more subdued. While the flavors may not be perfectly integrated (it does seem a touch disjointed at times) in this beer, I do like the raw, aggressive hop character. This is still fairly light and quaffable, and is certainly enjoyable. Flying dog is certainly turning out to be a better brewery than I have given them credit for.

Purchased: 58 Degrees, Tucson AZ

10-01-2006 20:50:37 | More by Gueuzedude
Estarrio

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a cloudy, light copper with a medium, frothy white head. Decent retention with nice lacings.

Orange peel, grapefruit, pine and an explosion of hops make the sweet aromas come to life.

Sweet citrus taste that quickly mingles with a barrage of hops. Simcoe hops seem to be the predominant taste but there are more flavors to be savored. My one gripe is that the hoppiness is rather untamed. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love hops but there just doesn't seem to be a smooth, consistent taste here. One taste is exceptional and the next taste is so-so. The aftertaste is bitter, dry with fruity notes.

A nice, fizzy mouthfeel makes this a pleasure on the palate. Though, drinkability is somewhat challenged by the unbalanced flavor.

There are some great flavors going on this beer. I think that with a little control it could become one of the better IPAs on the market.

09-19-2006 04:22:41 | More by Estarrio
DrinkinBoy

Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

After being poured, the beer was a foggy light amber. It created a large head with decent retention. The foam stuck to the glass.

The beer had a strong hoppy aroma.

This IPA had an extremely strong and bitter taste. It was extremely hoppy and piney with a hint of fruit.

The body was a full medium. It left and bitter aftertaste that last quite awhile, and a bit bothersome.

Although in general I enjoy IPA's, but I felt that this one was sub par. The aftertaste was pretty awful as it was bitter but tangy at the same time. I like it and would suggest giving it a try.

09-11-2006 21:55:53 | More by DrinkinBoy
granger10

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Clearer orange with a twinge of red in the middle. Large foamy white head. Good lacing. Smells floral and resiny. Nice pine acidity and grapefruit flavors in the aroma. Taste is fruitier. Good malt base with a touch of residual sugars in there. Nice hop combination. Sort of English in style with the fruity flavors, but more piney towards the end. Hops control but it's very balance and smooth. Good creaminess in the mouthfeel as well. Enjoyable.

09-03-2006 19:23:53 | More by granger10
coryroth

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I've only recently started venturing out and trying other IPAs and the Snake Dog is definitely one of the better ones I have had so far. From the moment I cracked the bottle cap, I could smell the hops.

This beer poured a amber/orangey color with a small white head. It had a pleasant citrus aroma to it which is my favorite smell from an IPA. The taste was excellent. This beer shocked my taste buds and left a warming sensation throughout my body (I know that sounds pretty lame...). I had three of these tonight, all three went down smoothly. I'll definitely be coming back around for another 6-pack of these at some point!

08-31-2006 22:29:48 | More by coryroth
hunteraw

China

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Pours a particularly orange color. Good head and lacing. A nice looking beer.

Smell: A good amount of citrus hops aroma.

Taste: Tastes pretty good to me, some biscuity malts and a good amount of bitter hop character.

Mouthfeel: Good body and carbonation, no complaints to be heard here.

Drinkability: A drinkable IPA, but I think I prefer Flying Dog's APA.

08-25-2006 01:12:22 | More by hunteraw
Dizzy

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours amber with creamy white head. Nose is herbal hop aromas and sweet malts. The flavor is very bitter, with lots of malts to balance. Some fruitiness is present as well. Medium mouthfeel, I'm not noticing a lot of carbonation. This is good, I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these. This beer isn't spectacular, but it is solid. I might drink this again, but there are better choices out there as well.

08-22-2006 23:45:53 | More by Dizzy
scottoale

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12oz. brown bottle with one of the strangest labels (as with all Flying Dog, strange art labels), abstract and funky, pours a rather brilliant amber-gold with almost a finger of off-white head. Nicely carbonated with tiny bubbles rising from the bottom, but not enough too replentish the fallen head. Some decent lacing sticks to the glass.

First sniff is quite hoppy and pine like. As is sits in the glass for a couple minutes, the hop aroma subsides as some toasty malt and a fruity sweetness take over. Fruity esters of alcohol and a nice tobacco scent come through as the hops smell grassy and faint now.

The taste is a mildly sweet roast malt with a flavor of fresh pipe tobacco through the middle that turns citrusy and hop bittering to the finish. Kind of strange, the hops have lost the piney aspect they had in the beginning. The brew becomes more citrus in the finish with an aftertaste of orange peel.

Moderate alcohol and a medium body, this is an easy drinker with a pleasant and refreshing taste. Worth a try for the style.

Note: I had this one a few years ago in a case I bought at work and don't remember this one tasting as good as this one reviewed today...pleasantly suprised.

08-22-2006 23:26:50 | More by scottoale
afinepilsner

Iowa

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle

Flying dog IPA was golden orange in color with a nice off-white head. The head had good retention and left lots of lace behind. Hops dominated the aroma. The taste was also dominated by hops. It was medium bodied with good carbonation. The drinkability was good. Middle of the road IPA.

08-21-2006 21:11:14 | More by afinepilsner
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

One of the local stores has started carrying Flying Dog. I'd sampled some at the ABF, and thought it worth a try. This was a cloudy orange color with a small head. Very floral (?roses) aroma. On tasting, initially some hoppy bitterness, then some bread. It becomes more smooth as it warms. I liked this beer, will buy it again.

08-17-2006 11:25:51 | More by lordofthewiens
pmcadamis

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow. There is some crazy stuff going on on the lable. Someone must have been on acid when they came up with this dog-with-a-snake- for-a-neck-chimaira- type-thing. This is weird even for Flying Dog, but I do like the fact that the dog-type-thing has "drunk bubbles" all around his head!

Ok, this is amber in the pint glass with a medium head, and the nose is heavy with hops and a bready scent. Also, there is definitely some grapefruit there too.

At first sip, this is a powerful brew! Very strongly hopped and also very bitter. After that ititial shock to the palate that is (IMO) typical of IPAs, this one presents other more complex flavors too. There really is alot to pick out here. There is a prevalent bready yeasty flavor that makes itself more apparent as the beer warms and the alcohol heat kicks up, but still remains far behind the dominant hops. Mouthfeel is tart at first when the beer is still cold, and then warms and rounds out considerably with time (it took me over an hour to enjoy this one).

Although not my favorite so far, this is a great IPA. I really like the bready taste and the alcohol warmth that accompanies it. I will most likely come back to this one again.

08-14-2006 18:56:44 | More by pmcadamis
doppelmeup

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Not an impressive looking IPA. Barely half an inch head, and then it dissipated rather quickly leaving barely a covering over the beer and no lacing. Orange amber color.

Strong piney hop aroma, with a sweet undertone.

Flavor was mediocre for an IPA. Strong pine and grapefruit with a candy sweet malt presence in the background. Not a particularly well balanced IPA, IMO. Kind of a medicinal taste. I've tasted many IPAs that I like better than this one.

Oily, sticky mouthfeel leaves a very drying and sticky sensation on the tongue, but not in a pleasant way.

Overall, I didn't care much for this beer. With so many IPAs out there to choose from, I doubt I will ever get this one again. Not recommended.

08-11-2006 21:39:34 | More by doppelmeup
DaveFL1976

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Do you like Cascade hops?
You'll like this then.
Boatloads of piney hops permiate thorough the thick off-white head. The taste is a little strange and abrasive at first, but after the second sip my taste buds have adjusted and can appreciate the balance between the thick malt and the hops. Mouthfeel's a bit on the thick side, and a bit sticky, but it's pretty easy doing down.

08-09-2006 14:44:06 | More by DaveFL1976
Poser

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a deep amber with 2-3 finger head with great retention and decent lacing. Smell is typical IPA with a hint of pine. The taste is above average with citrus and caramel coming through. Very smooth and very drinkable in my opinion. This is one I will personally come back to.

08-08-2006 03:50:25 | More by Poser
pmatz2

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

This beer pours out a clear copper color with minimal head. A nice piney sweet smell that was not over powering. For such a hoppy beer the lacing disappeared quickly. Hops were very pronounced from the start to finish with a sweet maltiness that was able to stand up to the hops. A higher alcohol "warming" then I would have expected. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I expected. .Finish had the appetite inducing effect I expect from an IPA, but was a little to sour for my taste. Fared better when paired with food. I couldn't see myself grabbing one unless I was having a meal.

08-06-2006 22:56:08 | More by pmatz2
ColForbin

New Hampshire

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Snake Dog IPA is a new beer to the New Hampshire market, so I thought I would give it a try. My bottle has a date code of 29306FX, but I have no idea what this means. I'm assuming the 06 is the year, but maybe it's the month. In any event, I prefer easily understandable dates.

Pours an reddish amber with a decent beige head. Aroma is piney and resinous with some toastiness. Taste is hoppy, roasted and nutty with a piney almost astringent finish. If the finish didn't have a slight harshness I would give it a 4. Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Quite drinkable, and a nice change of pace from my "house" IPA (Smutty).

08-01-2006 16:53:59 | More by ColForbin
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Beautiful pour - candy amber hue in the beer with an above average meringue jiggly head that retains well.

Nice bready and hoppy aroma. The NOSE is very balanced.

On the palate this beer screams American IPA. Unbalanced, mostly hops, little malt, and slightly thin mouthfeel. It's almost like... sucking on a dry tree leaf from the ground in October.

The malt just doesn't compliment the hops very well. I feel teased because the nose is so inviting, but then on the palate it snaps at me with the hops. Yes, I know it's an IPA, but that doesn't mean balance can't be a part of the equation.

Not very drinkable either. Takes some effort to finish the pint, and it just doesn't make me yearn for the next sip like other IPA's often do.

07-23-2006 21:01:13 | More by yemenmocha
jasonjlewis

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Head: nice and thick and foamy. Great retention

Smell very fruity and biscuity

Taste: A little sweetness upfront on the front taste buds. Then a nice little bitter kick at the end. Nice how it's sweet and bitter. Should get the hops a little bit more balanced, but it's not too bad. It's almost like a struggle. It's sweet then bitter, no balance. First IPA i had, after having a bridgeport I have a better idea of things.

Mouthfeel: Would like it a little thicker and some more carbonation.

Drinkability: I could down a few of these. Don't think it be my beer of choice at a session though.

07-22-2006 00:04:34 | More by jasonjlewis
Frozensoul327

3.48/5  rDev -2%

A rather good IPA, and totally sessionable. Pours out to the usual cloudy orange-ish yellow color with a smaller head of white foam. Lots of lace. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of citrusy pine and hop oils are heavy and penetrating. Taste is medium bodied yet maintains the elements of a good IPA; Citrus, hops, pine, sweet malt. Nice. Mouthfeel would've been better with more carbonation, but was acceptable as it was. Drinkability is north of average. I'd like a sixer of this from time to time. Worth trying.

07-17-2006 23:47:04 | More by Frozensoul327
RJLarse

Washington

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

I had a pitcher of Snake Dog IPA at a tavern. It was on special for $5.00.

Pours a copper/gold color and is hazy. A rich foamy white head forms on every glass. The head dissipates slowly and laces the glass nicely.

The smell is typical of an IPA. Citrus notes and a real hop presence which yields a pine aroma.

The taste is also typical of the style, with tangy citrus flavors, and an extra bitter aftertaste.

The mouth feel is crisp and refreshing. The beer is moderately carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, and a very typical example of the style. I’d have it again, especially at $5 for a pitcher.

07-15-2006 21:14:49 | More by RJLarse
lpayette

Vermont

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

This is one that I think is underated. It's not fantastic, but it's a good stab at the American IPA style. I suspect that many people are comparing this to Double and Triple IPAs.

Appearance- Color is very typical of an IPA. Clear golden honey color. White, perhaps below average amount of head that dissipates to suds quickly. Some decent lacing on what head remains.

Smell- Good and strong hop aroma- grapefruit and hop oils along with orange citrusy smells. It's also a bit flowery. Overall a very pleasing smell that remains appropriate and right on for the style. The smell is stronger from the bottle as the smaller than average head doesn't release much of a bouquet.

Taste- Typical quality IPA stuff here. Hops take over with oily grapefruit flavors pulling through heavily. A bit of orange peel also comes through in the flavor along with a light touch of caramel malt. Some mild notes of honey.

Mouthfeel- Pretty darn smooth and a bit bubbly. Ends just a tad dry.

Drinkability- An approachable IPA with enough hops for the average hophead to be happy, yet surprisingly not too bitter. Admittedly, there are lots of better IPAs out there, but this one is still a solid, very drinkable choice.

07-10-2006 04:14:38 | More by lpayette
bigdeuce

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

This was the first IPA I had ever tried. I hated it at first. Didn't understand the style and this was way too bitter. But after trying a bunch more IPA's, and better ones, I may add..I realized that this is a pretty good microbrew. Very caramel and malty on from, nice hoppy kickback at the end. Lingering hops..a little unpleasant at first. Lacing all the way down the glass, decent head, disappated rather quickly. Beer is a little unbalanced, but a great starter IPA.

It is rare that you can make this claim, with the way America is run, but Flying Dog IMPROVED this beer. It was a nice session brew to begin with, but they added more malts and hops to this one. Pours an unleaveable head, great lacing down the glass. Classic microbrew scent with hops in the balance. Terrific grapefruity taste and a dry, balanced finish. Try it a second time, it is much better than the first.

07-10-2006 00:19:23 | More by bigdeuce
Foxman

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours a flashy cleat golden amber. A thin finger of pithy white head plummets to a frothy slick. Spits of lacing spritz the inside of the glass.

The aroma delivers a touch of toasted butterscotch malt entwined with a sparse draft of piney hops. A distant biscuit note twists quickly away.

Upon sipping, a wispy caramel malt sweetness steps up to a toasted grain and berry fruit impression. A glimpse of evergreen hops melds with a grassy tang that rings on the tongue. A muted bitterness duels with residual malt towards the close, and the finish is more an abrupt drop from some flavor to none. It's halting, and rather misty, though not totally irredeemable.

Light bodied, it's got enough to be beyond watery, but just by a measure.

Well, it's pretty nondescript, but not totally sans value. Though, that's not a ringing endorsement. For my money it falls short of what I want in an American IPA. So, I'll finish this six and then move on, no worse for the wear.

07-07-2006 19:32:06 | More by Foxman