Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros
pmcadamis

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Wow. There is some crazy stuff going on on the lable. Someone must have been on acid when they came up with this dog-with-a-snake- for-a-neck-chimaira- type-thing. This is weird even for Flying Dog, but I do like the fact that the dog-type-thing has "drunk bubbles" all around his head!

Ok, this is amber in the pint glass with a medium head, and the nose is heavy with hops and a bready scent. Also, there is definitely some grapefruit there too.

At first sip, this is a powerful brew! Very strongly hopped and also very bitter. After that ititial shock to the palate that is (IMO) typical of IPAs, this one presents other more complex flavors too. There really is alot to pick out here. There is a prevalent bready yeasty flavor that makes itself more apparent as the beer warms and the alcohol heat kicks up, but still remains far behind the dominant hops. Mouthfeel is tart at first when the beer is still cold, and then warms and rounds out considerably with time (it took me over an hour to enjoy this one).

Although not my favorite so far, this is a great IPA. I really like the bready taste and the alcohol warmth that accompanies it. I will most likely come back to this one again.

08-14-2006 18:56:44 | More by pmcadamis
doppelmeup

Poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Not an impressive looking IPA. Barely half an inch head, and then it dissipated rather quickly leaving barely a covering over the beer and no lacing. Orange amber color.

Strong piney hop aroma, with a sweet undertone.

Flavor was mediocre for an IPA. Strong pine and grapefruit with a candy sweet malt presence in the background. Not a particularly well balanced IPA, IMO. Kind of a medicinal taste. I've tasted many IPAs that I like better than this one.

Oily, sticky mouthfeel leaves a very drying and sticky sensation on the tongue, but not in a pleasant way.

Overall, I didn't care much for this beer. With so many IPAs out there to choose from, I doubt I will ever get this one again. Not recommended.

08-11-2006 21:39:34 | More by doppelmeup
DaveFL1976

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Do you like Cascade hops?
You'll like this then.
Boatloads of piney hops permiate thorough the thick off-white head. The taste is a little strange and abrasive at first, but after the second sip my taste buds have adjusted and can appreciate the balance between the thick malt and the hops. Mouthfeel's a bit on the thick side, and a bit sticky, but it's pretty easy doing down.

08-09-2006 14:44:06 | More by DaveFL1976
Poser

Alabama

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a deep amber with 2-3 finger head with great retention and decent lacing. Smell is typical IPA with a hint of pine. The taste is above average with citrus and caramel coming through. Very smooth and very drinkable in my opinion. This is one I will personally come back to.

08-08-2006 03:50:25 | More by Poser
pmatz2

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

This beer pours out a clear copper color with minimal head. A nice piney sweet smell that was not over powering. For such a hoppy beer the lacing disappeared quickly. Hops were very pronounced from the start to finish with a sweet maltiness that was able to stand up to the hops. A higher alcohol "warming" then I would have expected. Mouthfeel was a little thinner than I expected. .Finish had the appetite inducing effect I expect from an IPA, but was a little to sour for my taste. Fared better when paired with food. I couldn't see myself grabbing one unless I was having a meal.

08-06-2006 22:56:08 | More by pmatz2
ColForbin

New Hampshire

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Snake Dog IPA is a new beer to the New Hampshire market, so I thought I would give it a try. My bottle has a date code of 29306FX, but I have no idea what this means. I'm assuming the 06 is the year, but maybe it's the month. In any event, I prefer easily understandable dates.

Pours an reddish amber with a decent beige head. Aroma is piney and resinous with some toastiness. Taste is hoppy, roasted and nutty with a piney almost astringent finish. If the finish didn't have a slight harshness I would give it a 4. Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Quite drinkable, and a nice change of pace from my "house" IPA (Smutty).

08-01-2006 16:53:59 | More by ColForbin
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Beautiful pour - candy amber hue in the beer with an above average meringue jiggly head that retains well.

Nice bready and hoppy aroma. The NOSE is very balanced.

On the palate this beer screams American IPA. Unbalanced, mostly hops, little malt, and slightly thin mouthfeel. It's almost like... sucking on a dry tree leaf from the ground in October.

The malt just doesn't compliment the hops very well. I feel teased because the nose is so inviting, but then on the palate it snaps at me with the hops. Yes, I know it's an IPA, but that doesn't mean balance can't be a part of the equation.

Not very drinkable either. Takes some effort to finish the pint, and it just doesn't make me yearn for the next sip like other IPA's often do.

07-23-2006 21:01:13 | More by yemenmocha
jasonjlewis

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

Head: nice and thick and foamy. Great retention

Smell very fruity and biscuity

Taste: A little sweetness upfront on the front taste buds. Then a nice little bitter kick at the end. Nice how it's sweet and bitter. Should get the hops a little bit more balanced, but it's not too bad. It's almost like a struggle. It's sweet then bitter, no balance. First IPA i had, after having a bridgeport I have a better idea of things.

Mouthfeel: Would like it a little thicker and some more carbonation.

Drinkability: I could down a few of these. Don't think it be my beer of choice at a session though.

07-22-2006 00:04:34 | More by jasonjlewis
Frozensoul327

3.48/5  rDev -2%

A rather good IPA, and totally sessionable. Pours out to the usual cloudy orange-ish yellow color with a smaller head of white foam. Lots of lace. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of citrusy pine and hop oils are heavy and penetrating. Taste is medium bodied yet maintains the elements of a good IPA; Citrus, hops, pine, sweet malt. Nice. Mouthfeel would've been better with more carbonation, but was acceptable as it was. Drinkability is north of average. I'd like a sixer of this from time to time. Worth trying.

07-17-2006 23:47:04 | More by Frozensoul327
RJLarse

Washington

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

I had a pitcher of Snake Dog IPA at a tavern. It was on special for $5.00.

Pours a copper/gold color and is hazy. A rich foamy white head forms on every glass. The head dissipates slowly and laces the glass nicely.

The smell is typical of an IPA. Citrus notes and a real hop presence which yields a pine aroma.

The taste is also typical of the style, with tangy citrus flavors, and an extra bitter aftertaste.

The mouth feel is crisp and refreshing. The beer is moderately carbonated.

This is a drinkable beer, and a very typical example of the style. I’d have it again, especially at $5 for a pitcher.

07-15-2006 21:14:49 | More by RJLarse
lpayette

Vermont

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%

This is one that I think is underated. It's not fantastic, but it's a good stab at the American IPA style. I suspect that many people are comparing this to Double and Triple IPAs.

Appearance- Color is very typical of an IPA. Clear golden honey color. White, perhaps below average amount of head that dissipates to suds quickly. Some decent lacing on what head remains.

Smell- Good and strong hop aroma- grapefruit and hop oils along with orange citrusy smells. It's also a bit flowery. Overall a very pleasing smell that remains appropriate and right on for the style. The smell is stronger from the bottle as the smaller than average head doesn't release much of a bouquet.

Taste- Typical quality IPA stuff here. Hops take over with oily grapefruit flavors pulling through heavily. A bit of orange peel also comes through in the flavor along with a light touch of caramel malt. Some mild notes of honey.

Mouthfeel- Pretty darn smooth and a bit bubbly. Ends just a tad dry.

Drinkability- An approachable IPA with enough hops for the average hophead to be happy, yet surprisingly not too bitter. Admittedly, there are lots of better IPAs out there, but this one is still a solid, very drinkable choice.

07-10-2006 04:14:38 | More by lpayette
bigdeuce

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

This was the first IPA I had ever tried. I hated it at first. Didn't understand the style and this was way too bitter. But after trying a bunch more IPA's, and better ones, I may add..I realized that this is a pretty good microbrew. Very caramel and malty on from, nice hoppy kickback at the end. Lingering hops..a little unpleasant at first. Lacing all the way down the glass, decent head, disappated rather quickly. Beer is a little unbalanced, but a great starter IPA.

It is rare that you can make this claim, with the way America is run, but Flying Dog IMPROVED this beer. It was a nice session brew to begin with, but they added more malts and hops to this one. Pours an unleaveable head, great lacing down the glass. Classic microbrew scent with hops in the balance. Terrific grapefruity taste and a dry, balanced finish. Try it a second time, it is much better than the first.

07-10-2006 00:19:23 | More by bigdeuce
Foxman

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

It pours a flashy cleat golden amber. A thin finger of pithy white head plummets to a frothy slick. Spits of lacing spritz the inside of the glass.

The aroma delivers a touch of toasted butterscotch malt entwined with a sparse draft of piney hops. A distant biscuit note twists quickly away.

Upon sipping, a wispy caramel malt sweetness steps up to a toasted grain and berry fruit impression. A glimpse of evergreen hops melds with a grassy tang that rings on the tongue. A muted bitterness duels with residual malt towards the close, and the finish is more an abrupt drop from some flavor to none. It's halting, and rather misty, though not totally irredeemable.

Light bodied, it's got enough to be beyond watery, but just by a measure.

Well, it's pretty nondescript, but not totally sans value. Though, that's not a ringing endorsement. For my money it falls short of what I want in an American IPA. So, I'll finish this six and then move on, no worse for the wear.

07-07-2006 19:32:06 | More by Foxman
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a 6 oz. glass at a taste testing. Perfect golden copper color. Strong hop aroma and taste, with just the right amount of bitter to make this a truly good beer. I’m surprised that it ranks so low with others. I think Flying Dog did well here, and am looking forward to drinking more soon.

07-06-2006 11:06:48 | More by kimcgolf
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours out a dark copper with a small white head.

smell. Caramel sweetness and hoppy. Piney hops with a small bit of grapefruit.

taste. Is dry and bitter. Citris tastes of grapefruit and is puckering. Aftertaste is also bitter. The taste isnt bad, but it just doesnt stick out for me. I dont get much of a malt backbone.

Mouthfeel. is puckering, but medium body. Good amount of carbonation. balance is off with not enough of a malt character.

Overall. ok, but below average for the style. Not a totally well balanced beer. But it is do-able.

07-06-2006 01:21:56 | More by acrawf6
dfried

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

It's a clear, toffee-amber color. It's starts with a nice creamy, bubbly head, but it doesn't retain all that well, though it comes back easy with a swirl. The smell is of floral, resinous hops, and some sweetness from the malt. The flavor has a distinct sweetness, kind of a toasted pale male but not really caramel like, almost like apple juice even. The hops are initially kind of musty and resinous. Some citrus like flavor comes through eventually but its mainly a floral type taste. The mouthfeel is on the dry and tangy side. This is a good IPA, and is quite drinkable, but it's not top shelf.

06-29-2006 18:25:51 | More by dfried
Phatz

3.55/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with an off-white head.

Smell: Toasty caramel malt aroma with sugar, yeast and a hint of wood and a mixture of spices.

Taste: Zingy hop flavor with a significant citric character, but less so than many others. It is an enjoyable tasty flavor that is a bit more approachable than bigger IPAs; I guess you could pretty much describe this beer as moderate all the way around.

Mouthfeel: Light but tingly. Decent.

Drinkability: There are no big fireworks with this beer but it is easy drinking.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

06-29-2006 07:06:34 | More by Phatz
AaronHomoya

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz brown bottle.

Light amber color with good head and retention. Aroma is very nice hoppy with citrus notes. Flavor is also mostly hoppy with just a bit of malt sweetness to counter the bitter finish. Mouthfeel is perhaps a touch on the thin side. Overall a nice IPA and very drinkable at just 5.83% ABV.

06-22-2006 03:11:08 | More by AaronHomoya
cjgator3

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a clear golden amber color with white creamy lace on top. Smell is light with notes of citrus (grapefruit in particular). The taste begins with sweet malt, then the citrusy hops make their presence felt and finally the sweet malt taste comes back towards the very end. This is an interesting IPA that is really not bad at all. I like the balance between the fresh tasting hops and the malt.

06-16-2006 04:29:08 | More by cjgator3
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Part of a mixed 12 pack.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer is slightly hazy and dirty orange in color. A 1/4 inch head forms on the liquid and fades to a solid covering. Good lacing down the sides of the glass as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Burst of citrousy aromas, touch of pine as well. I also get a little yeasty bread about half way through as the beer warms.

Taste: I am a bit paradoxal in that I like my APA's to have a good malt/hop balance, but I like my IPA's to be more one dimensional to the hops. This one falls short of one dimensional. Good "hop" flavors (citrous, a little pine), nice and bitter on the finish. But this one also has a decent malt presence through the middle.

Mouthfeel: Not quite medium in body, good enough carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability: An easy enough to drink IPA, although beyond this mixed pack, I do not think I would go out of my way to get this one again.

06-13-2006 04:45:34 | More by BigRedN
stouty1

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured very nice. Thick head with fruity orange with a hint of red. Definitely smell th ehops with this one. Overpowering! Very light mouthfeel with overpowering alchol bitterness. Compares to a Killians Red. Not too fond of this, but I have enjoyed other Flying Dog brews.

I may be prejudice as I just finshed a huge belgian beforehand.

06-10-2006 04:09:08 | More by stouty1
plaid75

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured a medium copper hue, with a one finger foamy head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell was predominantly citrusy hop, with hints of grass. A slight biscuity aroma was detected as well.

The taste was upfront grapefruit. Very dry and very sharp. There was a nice biscuity finish. Enough flavor to keep things interesting.

There was a medium mouthfeel. Average carbonation.

Very drinkable. A nicely understated IPA. ABV makes this a nice session beer.

05-30-2006 02:56:57 | More by plaid75
bennetj17

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

On cask at Papago brewing. This beer had a fluffy half-inch light foam top with great retention. Sweet aroma of citrus hops and sugary malt. Flavor was excellent, sweet orange and grapefruit-like hops with a tangy bitter finish that goes down smooth. Mouthfeel of moderate thickness and subtle carbonation, very smooth again. I would have had many more of these but unfortunately I had to move on and try some of the other goodies available to me. Not sure if I would recommend the Snake Dog IPA in general, but if you are lucky enough to find it on cask than surely have a pint...

05-28-2006 06:07:24 | More by bennetj17
belgaridub

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark golden color with some carbonation and a good size off-white head. The head dissipates quickly, settling down to about a centimeter of foam at the top of the beer. There is some lacing left on the glass, looks good.

Smell is a deep hops and some floral and pine notes. I feel like I'm in the middle of a big pine forest in spring with a lot of flowering plants. Not a huge amount of citrus coming from this one.

The taste starts out with the same pine and floral notes, but I detect something bready in there as well a little later in the taste. The finish is dry and floral. The floral and pine notes are a bigger part of this beer than the citrus. Overall, this is very tasty. I like the floral and pine characters that are showcased in this beer. The bitterness is moderate, about what I would expect from a pale.

I definitely enjoyed this beer, although it might be difficult to drink too many in a row just due to the hop dominance and bitterness level.

05-25-2006 22:14:50 | More by belgaridub
ommegangpbr

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

This is a pretty solid IPA that falls short of being really good.
Looks good, has a fragant odor even when quite cold and opens up nicely after warming.
The taste is quite hoppy with a pleasant malt sweetness that coats the tongue. All this brew needs is one more layer of flavor and I think it could really shine. But there is a clear feeling of there being something missing.
I wouldnt turn my nose up at this if offered and if I was in the mood for an IPA... there seems to be some under achieving on the part of Flying Dog.

05-22-2006 06:49:33 | More by ommegangpbr