Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

Snake Dog IPASnake Dog IPA

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake Dog IPA Alström Bros
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured out of the bottle to have a light amber colored body with a rather nice white head. The aroma was citrusy, didn't detect too much else, mainly citrus, some grain. Taste was of strong citrus, but not palate shattering. It was a good IPA, but not great, something I'd keep as a back up beer, but still don't see myself drinking it again.

04-02-2006 05:51:43 | More by HoboAGoGo
goochpunch

2.45/5  rDev -31%

Here I'm thinking, "oh boy, time for an IPA" while I pour this. Well, this seemed an odd color for an IPA. Looks more like a bitter or something. Aside from that, it's a rusty-orange color with a frothy little head. Seems to be some chill haze. Great lacing. The beer has a very soft malt presence with a kick of hops. I'm not too fond of these particular hops in large amounts, though (I guess as this is dry-hopped with columbus hops, that this must be them showing themselves). Flavors here are flat and dull. None of the brightness I like in pales (wether APA or IPA). Not much character in the malt at all neither. The hops come in and liven things up a bit, right before a tart twang hits me. Seems a bit out of place with such dull malt that this sourness would just pop up and sock me in the mouth. Contrary to the pretty active carbonation in the glass, this is a bit on the flat side. Kind of watery too. Overall this beer seems like an IPA Lite so in that sense, it is easily drunk. Aside from it's thirst-quenching properties, I'd rather have an IPA with more character. Hell, their regular pale has more character than this.

03-30-2006 02:41:17 | More by goochpunch
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a crystal clear light caramel color. Volumnous head produced from an overly warmed up beer, oops. Aromas are some serious hops, very resinous and sprucy. Flavor is that intense piney hops flavor followed by some malty sweetness. Pretty middle of the road IPA, not bad, but nothing extrordinary. Nice to have in the fridge often though. Carbonation is fairly low for this style, a little surprising, gives it a heavier mouthfeel which I think detracts from the crispness expected.

03-29-2006 22:38:01 | More by dreadnatty08
edskirk3

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

I bought this 6-pack just because of the label design. I recognized it as Ralph Steadman's work, and that turned out to be the case. Cool. There appears to be a freshness code on the bottle (12oz), but I have no idea what it's supposed to say.

Pours deep gold with thick white foam, sticking to the sides as it dissipates.

Aroma is citrusy hops, very pleasant.

The taste is quite bitter, as expected.... and that's about it. I don't really taste anything else. Goes down pretty easily though.

Not a bad beer, but one-dimensional. This seems like an IPA you need food with.

03-27-2006 03:28:12 | More by edskirk3
SSGPat

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Unlike most of the reviews that I've read, I like the packaging. Brings me back to my stoner days.

The head was minimal to non existant.

The color looked really good for the style.

Very hoppy nose. I have a slight case of the sniffles and didn't get much more than the hoppy smell.

I got a giant hit of hops with the first sip, but it faded rather quickly and it was almost nothing of an aftertaste.

Not one of my favorite IPAs, but better than most macro brew.

03-25-2006 00:47:24 | More by SSGPat
aforbes10

Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

bought a single bottle just to try. i hate this brewery's label designs. i dont know why either...they look like gonzo, H.S. Thompson kind of stuff and i like that fear and loathing style but for some reason i can't deal with it when it relates to beer. anyway...nice big fluffy orange tinted head. kind of IPA with so much head you know it should taste good. odor is florally hoppy, some sweet citrus tones. taste is very citrusy. like an orange and grapefruit mix. some peach like notes too. hops well balanced with the malt. i'd probably buy a sixer of this if i remembered and wasn't turned off by the bottle design so much.

03-21-2006 14:03:30 | More by aforbes10
Crosling

Colorado

1.73/5  rDev -51.3%

Amber. Nose is entirely too subtle with just a touch of fruit and an infinitesimal and insufficient amount of floral and spicy hops. This is just entirely too feeble in both aroma and flavor and its feel on the palate is far from remarkable. I’m forced to wonder if their Doggie Style Pale is hoppier. It sure seems like it to me.

03-20-2006 20:20:01 | More by Crosling
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

I don't mind saying this beer took some getting used to — I drank three (on different nights) before I felt like I had a good enough handle on it to write a review.

Its great looks were apparent from the first one I opened — beautiful copper colour, nice foamy head — but the taste and smell were nothing but hops, hops, and more hops.

Something told me there was more to this beer. I downed the first one without passing judgment.

My patience was rewarded. By the third attempt, the one-dimensional hoppiness and spicy taste yielded to some nice, pleasant malt flavours — even a bit of honey sweetness.

This beer may not be for everyone and I don't think this will ever be a regular in my fridge. Having said that, it's clear some thought and care went into trying to brew a quality IPA. By the end of the six-pack I bought, I really came to appreciate it.

03-17-2006 06:34:22 | More by vanrassel
custardcb

Maybe it is the packaging on these things but I really try to love the Flying Dog beers. Since IPA is one of my favorite styles I'm often super critical of it. The head is pretty light and fades to nothing in a short time with almost no lacing. The color is kind of a blonde amber.

This seems like it is trying to hard to be too many different things and nothing is pronounced and clear. The nose is an assault of hops from the get go, a bit of citrus and pine are trying to peak through. This is just a sweet beer that isn't as spicy as I would like it to be. It has a bit of a copper taste to it that lingering around also. The finish is a bit muddled too.

I'll drink this if it is there but I probably won't be going back for another sixer anytime soon.

03-14-2006 01:59:00 | More by custardcb
beermanbrian

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

Bronze color. Nice white head the shrinks to a film fairly quickly but it is some of the stickiest film i've ever seen. It clings to glass and leaves sheets of lacing.

Mild citrus smell and taste. Nothing too dramatic about either. Little bit of a metalic finish to the taste. Thin on the mouthfeel. Overall a slighly above average beer. Nothing great about this one but certainly drinkable. Purchased this in a variety case and look forward to sampling the other varieties that were included.

03-10-2006 03:01:20 | More by beermanbrian
orfeu

New Mexico

3.55/5  rDev 0%

Clear golden-amber, like weak sun tea, with a modest off-white head. Pine scents dominate an underlying bergamot aroma -- seems as if there's nothing but hops in it. PIney hop assault up front, a meek citrus rind flavor struggles to be recognized immediately thereafter but is drowned out by a toasty biscuit malt wash in the finish. Not a bad flavor profile at all, just a bit simplistic for my tastes. Smooth, bordering on juicy mouthfeel; medium body. Easily a session IPA, although I can't help but think that better options would always be available, either on tap or on the shelf next to this one.

03-08-2006 06:33:23 | More by orfeu
Drew966

3.48/5  rDev -2%

This beer pours amber with a small head from a twelve ounce brown bottle. There is a citrusy hop aroma. The flavor is hoppy, and a little sweet. The finish is not particularly exciting, the flavors hit quickly and are gone. Decent, but not excellent. Worth a try.

03-06-2006 01:31:18 | More by Drew966
aquatonex

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

A pretty decent, consistent IPA.

Pours a nice honey, rather clear, decent carbonation, a little lacing as well. Smells of light floral, light hops, no skunk. Taste is decently hopped, nothing too bitter. Not a lot of flavor, either. Mouthfeel is OK. Nothing stands out but also nothing ruins it either.

03-05-2006 02:58:25 | More by aquatonex
joeskirkie

3.3/5  rDev -7%

Well I pour it and it looks ok, pale amber, good biege head, stays around, laces nice.

Aroma: Wow, citrusy, like kiwi, I love this aroma because it announces hops.

Taste: Nice bitterness. It's the most noticable feature, other then that, theres a slight sweetness, it's kinda grainy, hell it's all over the place. It's a head scratcher alright. Aftertaste? Not a whole lot.

It drinks ok, not too smooth or harsh. I'd have another (when wouldn't I?)

03-04-2006 06:23:45 | More by joeskirkie
objectivemonkey

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

I really like the artwork on Flying Dog beers, goofy as they are. Into a tulip glass, pours a nice copper amber with good head and nice lacing down the glass. Aroma is full of floral hops, perhaps a bit of biscut. All fairly faint through as compared to the taste, which is bold and full of hops. There is also sweetish malt presense, along with lemon and a slight grain husk, but primarily the hops run throughout, and rightly so. Mouth is mildly springy and mostly smooth, with a slight alcohol warming throught the middle. I'm liking this beer, now that I'm judging it, as I've liked this beer and others from Flying Dog for a while. A good selection that I'd drink often.

02-24-2006 01:38:57 | More by objectivemonkey
ChuckD

2.9/5  rDev -18.3%

12 oz bottle from a variety pack poured into a clear chalice. Chunky tan lace atop a dark copper body. Head does not have much staying power.

To the nose, malty and fruity on the top. Behind is a hint of hoppy goodness. You would expect good things to come.

In the mouth, this stuff is a mess. No direction or coordination between the sweet malts and the oddball hop character. The taste is actually disagreeable to me.

The feel is somewhat full and juicy - but it is hard to hang your hat on that given the flavors that are imparted to your tongue. The finish is dry and bitter. Not a real drinker.

Musings: This was the last of the variety that I tried - and also the worst. The taste is a cacaphony of bitterness. No melding of malts at all - and in the end, is better left capped.

02-20-2006 21:39:15 | More by ChuckD
Citadel82

3.23/5  rDev -9%

A fair example of the style, tasty but not overpoweringly hoppy. Nor is there much malt in evidence, overall I rate this fair to middlin.

Not a great IPA but not a bad one either. A drinkable brew. Pours a bright orange-copper with an off-white head thatt dissapates quickly. Piney aroma some grapefruit. Taste is sharply hoppy. some iodine, some pine a little citrus pith. Slight malt presence way out of balance.

Taste is okay, body is thin on the palate, drinkable yes. something to seek out? Nah, there are better ones generally available.

02-13-2006 01:38:22 | More by Citadel82
coasterfreak75

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

The pour was a light orange with a white one finger head that quickly dissapated and left a thin white lace on the glass.

The smell was heavy in hop spice with nuts and pine in the rear of the nose.

The drink was a quick kick of hops, not knock your teeth out hops, just hops. It then quickly faded in the middle and left nothing for finish.

The beer was quite drinkable and refreshing but just not what I look for in an IPA. The hops were too light. A good entry level IPA but beyond that don't buy this one for IPA just buy it because it's a good beer.

02-11-2006 22:51:35 | More by coasterfreak75
joeyels

Clear light burnt orange in color, thin eggshell colored head that sticks to the glass. Nose is full of piney hops, very rich smell. Starts off with hops that fades quickly into nothing, no aftertaste. Lots of carbonation, that I think numbs the palate a bit. The smell definitely made me expect and want more. Seems like flavor was sacrificed to allow for ease of drinkability. Very light, very easy drinking brew.

01-26-2006 13:38:02 | More by joeyels
kmo1030

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

coppery amber with an off white had that lasts for a while and laces some.
the smell is mostly floral hops with a little bit of citrus. underneath that seems to be a little bit of caramel malt and biscuity yeast. once in while there is a weird off aroma thats sort of sulferish... odd maybe it's just me cause it certaily isn't there all the time..
the taste is what is expected from the aroma plus a little ore bitterness. there is some floral hop flavor, but mostly bitterness. caramel malts and bready yeast actually dominate here. hints of a buttery quality show up after further inspection. there is a sort of faint raw malt characteristic that seems to be a factor in flying dog beers.
medium bodied with middle of the road carbonation.
good drinkability nothing to sneeze at in general, but i would add some hop flavor here rather than just bitterness.

01-19-2006 00:08:42 | More by kmo1030
Mebuzzard

Colorado

Poured into pint glass.

Good head, lacey, 1 1/2 finger...but it didn't last. Color was more golden and hazey than some A IPAs. Aroma was full of hops, citrus and yeast.
I thought the taste was average; some yeast, hops and citrus. The mouthfeel (bite) was fairly good. I knew what I was drinking. However, it didn't balance too well with the taste. I don't know why (I only had one), but I'm guessing the hops used were more citrus than others used.

01-16-2006 17:19:50 | More by Mebuzzard
DuqTroops

Reviewed on January 10th, 2006 through a bottle.

I really enjoy IPAs.

Very hoppy and has a distinct smell.

The first taste is bitter and needs to warm up a little before drinking.

After the initial drink, it is very open and wants me to drink more.

Nice amber color and I would recommend it to another friend.

01-13-2006 05:37:02 | More by DuqTroops
asabreed

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light brown with some yellow highlights. Big foamy white head from my vigorous pour. Lacing sticks to the top of the glass and as I drink there's more sticking toward the low end of the glass.

Smell: Solid oily and citrusy hops, with some malt meshing well to not have it be too overpowering or too light in the hops aromas.

Taste: Oily hops and slight malt, big lemon zest also. Finishes dry with the slight slight malt. All of it lingers on the tongue very well. Also, as it warms it starts to finish with more lingering malt sweetness than hops. I like how it changes not drastically, but for the best, also making things interesting while the brew's consumed.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, though more toward medium. Moderate carbonation. Everything's working well.

Drinkability: A very balanced and drinkable IPA. Nothing's too out of control, but for what's used it's complex enough to be sipped and admired but also handled in a session. More often I'm finding that out about many Flying Dog brews, and I comment them for that.

01-10-2006 03:21:05 | More by asabreed
BurnsTau

Alabama

3.55/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

Medium-dark amber in color, small head that dissapears quickly leaving a faint white lace.

Immediately you can smell the floraly hops, a pleasent aroma usually found in any IPA, but not too overpowering in this one.

Taste is no surprise, bitter hops are apparent with some sweet malts to balance. The beer is definitely hoppy but not overly so, making it a pretty drinkable IPA.

Overall a good brew, definitely worth trying if you are a fan of the style.

01-10-2006 02:10:57 | More by BurnsTau
danielocean03

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a clear, peach-colored amber with a quickly disappearing head to faint light colored lacing. Smell is hoppy and somewhat piny and fruity as well. Tastes just as hoppy as it smells, with a hint of the sweet to bitter taste and flavor of a grapefruit. Mouthfeel is light and clean, with a mention of lightly bitter hop aftertaste. Lower ABV than most IPAs, making it more drinkable, overall a well done brew.

01-08-2006 03:03:47 | More by danielocean03