Snake Dog IPA - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,950 | Reviews: 1,168
3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark amber, with good carbonation. The head is 1 finger, off white and leaves little lace.

The smell is light roasted maly. Some mellow hops

The taste follows smooth crisp malty body, with a light hopy finish

The mouthfeel is good, good carbonation, a medium body, and quite refreshing.

The drinkability is good, a nice smooth drinkable beer. MK

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours out a slightly cloudy ice tea color with very little head. Slight lacing.
Smell is fruity and refreshing with hints of strong yeast with a nice mix of malt sugars and hops. No alcohol to be detected.
Taste is bitter at first with sugars melding in with a grapefruity flavor followed by the bitter aftertaste.
Pretty nice mixture here. Don't know why this IPA is rated below some others of less flavor.
Mouthfeel is not as good as some great IPA's but still it has some resin that sticks in the mouth.
I like this IPA and would drink lots of it.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer poured a clear golden color with a thick, persistent head. The smell is fruity and a bit floral. The taste is very hoppy and bitter with a slightly sweet citrus like flavor. The mouthfeel is full but not thick. It has a nice carbonation bite. This is a fine IPA that goes down pretty smooth.

Appearance: The pour is a clear deep gold with a frothy, long lasting white head.

Smell: The nose opens up with grapefruit, orange, and floral hop aromas.

Taste: Hops come out in full force. Grapefruit and orange Cascades galore. There's plenty of bitterness, but they're sweeter then I would have expected. A hint of caramel malts are in here to keep it from falling over. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: The beer is medium-bodied, chewy, and oily.

Drinkability: I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do, but it's a very well made IPA. I effed up, buying four Road Dogs and just one of these in the mixed six-pack I made.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

A very hoppy tasting IPA, but it's sharpness disappears quickly.

Presentation. Copper color. But with a slightly clean, clear look. Nice head for starters but it quickly disappears. No lace to speak of.

Smell. Some evidence of the sharp IPA flavor, but surprisingly not that much.

Taste. Ahh, this is where it makes it's personal mark. Lots of sharp hoppy flavor. There is a combination of the malt in there, balanced (or countered?) by the strong hops. This results in a taste that seems to fade quickly as the maltiness softens out the ending.

Mouthfeel. As with the look. A bit watery, and seemingly too 'clean" for the type. But that feel is unique for me. It seems to me that IPA's should lay a little heavier on the tongue. Must be due to the malts and sweetness hiding back there.

Drinkability. It has a kick, which is nice. But I can't say it would be a great session beer. At least for me.

Overall, this is a fantastic IPA from the U.S. in that it has the classic hoppy sharpness. If you're like me and you dig that, this will satisfy in doses.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Thistle glass.

A-Red body with a small head that went away fast.Some nice lacing on the glass.

S-Fruity hops and some earthly smells.

T-Fruity hops then come the bittering ones.Very pleasent taste.I cant really taste the malt in this.

M-It taste a bit different from last sunday when I drank it last.Maybe its too cold or its cause I brushed my teeth earlier and there may be some taste of toothpaste in my mouth.None the less its still very tasty.

D-Im glad I bought this,its a very good ipa,nothing special or new to me but a very stable brew.Ide come back to this beer again,Im glad I bougha 6er of this.Very good.

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle poured in to a 16oz standard glass.

A - Very very light amber and thin, almost orange in color.

S - HOPS. Nugget, Cascade.

T - Average start for an IPA. Not as hoppy as the smell indicates. Hop notes are not apparent until it rolls off the tongue. Nugget and Cascade spike up late during the finish and hang for just a moment.

M - Medium. Not too carbonated. Clean.

D - very easy to drink. Could be a session beer for me.

2.32/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a nice, foamy 2 finger head. leaves lacing that stays after the beer is gone. the beer is a nice golden amber color. Good looking beer . . .

but it's all donwhill from there. Not much for the sniffer in this beer. Very very slight hoppiness. Nothing special. I even got a slight metallic smell as if it were still in the bottle.

Taste is on the same level with the smell. the hops don't stand out except for the bitterness on the back of the tongue. Very slight orange citrus. This beer probably leans more towards a regular pale ale as opposed to an IPA

Not very pleasing in the mouth. On my hand written notes, I put down that I could have a couple of these. I remember thinking that I would finish the 6 pack, but not buy it again. Now i'm looking at my glass, and there is a very tiny sip left. I don't know if I'll drink it.

I've tanked a local small brew. An IPA at that. I guess I'm officially a snob. This one was really disappointing, and I like this brewery.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Pours a clear copper color with a one finger white frothy head. Slight retention of big bubbles and decent lacing down the glass.
S: Fruity, but subdued with notes of grapefruit, melon, and a splash of pine.
T/M: Light fruityness with a bit of pine thown in there. What seems to be a big bite of hops isn't. However, the strong bitterness on the tongue does last awhile. Dry finish. Subtle fruityness and a bit of toasted grain take over after the bitterness peters out. Well balanced malt and hops with an edge to the hops.
D: Drinkable IPA, but nothing too speical or out of the ordinary here. Pretty smooth to begin with a softness that quickly turns very bitter and stings the palate.

2.94/5  rDev -17.4%

I liked the label so I bought a 12 pack sampler from the doggery. IPAs are clearly my favorite brew so I looked forward to this one. I was a bit disappointed.

A: Poured with a nice head that stuck around for a long time. The color was amber but definitely hazy...extremely hazy.

S: Hoppy, grassy. Maybe a touch of malt.

T : HOP HOP HOP malt. HOP HOP HOP malt. Not very balanced, very bitter. I like hops but this was even almost too much for me at first.

M: Nice, rich mouthfeel.

D: I could do this every once in a while. It's not bad, just not something I would look forward to.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Ok i must admit, it was the label that got me to buy this one. Had a nice creamy white head, with a nice citrus and hop smell, however when you get to the taste, blah, nothing there really. Little bit of malt, little bit of hops, but not much else. Definite looks are decieving with this one, awesome label, looks really funky, too bad the beer doesnt match.

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours with a solid inch and a half of thick, off-white head that lasts about two minutes. Good head retention. Hazy amber and orange body with a few particles clearly in suspension.

Immediately fresh and hoppy on the nose. The hop aromas are very fresh considering I've had this sitting for a little while. Very pine-laden with touches of mint. Almost salty? Some sweet and malty characteristics balance the hops ever so slightly.

Hoppy flavors lead off this IPA and never cease. The hops are tasty for a little but there is no malt or yeast presence to provide even a minimal amount of balance. The finish is long, hop-laden, salty and somewhat astringent. Definitely hopped nicely but a little malt balance could really make this special.

The mouth presence of this beer is very lightly carbonated and loaded with spicy feelings. Unforunately, there is a chalky feeling left after each sip.

Drinkability is about average. This beer isn't very special but doesn't really make any major mistakes either. This is a classic IPA in every sense but, just a little too forthright in presentation.

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance:
I'm drinking it straight from the bottle at the moment. *GASP* I know i'm a terrible person... If I remember correctly the beer is golden in color with minimal head but i'm not about to pour the beer into any of my friend's soiled plastic cups just to get a good look at it.

Smell:
The beer smells faintly of ripe bananas but it's a pretty mild scent. It's not a ho-down for the nose or anything, just slightly pleasant smelling.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Ripe bananas carry through in the taste which is a pleasantly paired with a pretty agressive bitterness. This beer in my opinion has an almost perfect finish/after taste. The fruit flavor carries over and dominates any unpleasant "beer after taste" but removes itself entirely from my palette which doesn't have me begging for another swig just to masque an awful taste, which is something I find in many "maintenance" beers to be highly undesirable.

Drinkability:
One highly poundable beer. It's smooth, low alcohol, decent taste, and doesn't leave your mouth with an ass after taste.

Bottom Line:
I could easily blast through a weekend with this beer. A great alternative to your standard party beer but not the kind of thing I would want to sit down and have with a meal or if I'm just looking to drink a couple of excellent beers.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer pours a faint gold with nary a head and average lacing. Nothing fantastic to look at, but no biggie. Strangely enough, the aroma of this brew reminds me of cheddar cheese alongside orange slices, sprinkled with crushed rosemary. I can honestly say that, while complex to the nose, I wasn't too excited about my first taste. But Snake Dog IPA gave me a pleasant surprise -- nicely hoppy on the tongue, with a peppery tangerine flavor, and a nicely bitter finish. Very dry too, which I like. This is a good beer. . . much better than I expected.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

This poured a clear, dark orange/yellow witha short, frothy head.

This smells like grassy hops, and something else. It's really different. There is a citris smell that is more lemony than grapefruit, also.

The flavor starts out light. It's sweet, has some citrus flavor, and then it really builds. After it crescendos, it turns into a tart, bitter aftertaste that puckers up your mouth. A pine flavor that I'm used to, but didn't exist in the smell comes through here.

I've been eating salty chips before this and now I feel like I've sandpapered my mouth. It's light, crisp, well carbonated without being foamy. The flavor dominates everything else though. I think it would take a lot of work to finish too many off these.

Nice change of pace from the other IPA's I've had. Do not consume if you have a canker sore.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle Code 119A06, Sampled October 2006
Pours with a lightly hazy, amber tinged, copper color and is topped by an initially two and a half finger thick, billowy, pale tan colored head. The aroma is definitely hop focused with notes of grapefruit intermingled with pine and a sort of raw, almost dank hop note. Underneath the hops is a toasted grain character mixed with a touch of caramelized malt, which gives the beer a sweet finish to the aroma. There really is a sort of musky hop note here, almost like an herbaceous garlic note or something.

This beer starts out dry, and bready with a toasted grain edge to it. It quickly becomes quite hoppy with a bit of balancing malt sweetness. Solidly bitter, but also with flavorful hop character that has touches of pine, a solid citrus-like note of grapefruit, and even some of that herbaceous almost garlic like note. There seems to be a green apple like note here as well, it sort of melds in with the citrus character. The beer finishes with a raw, herbaceous, biting bitterness that lingers on in the palate well after the beer has left my mouth.

This beer is quite a bit more aggressive than I was expecting from Flying Dog, their other beers in the regular lineup are much more subdued. While the flavors may not be perfectly integrated (it does seem a touch disjointed at times) in this beer, I do like the raw, aggressive hop character. This is still fairly light and quaffable, and is certainly enjoyable. Flying dog is certainly turning out to be a better brewery than I have given them credit for.

Purchased: 58 Degrees, Tucson AZ

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a cloudy, light copper with a medium, frothy white head. Decent retention with nice lacings.

Orange peel, grapefruit, pine and an explosion of hops make the sweet aromas come to life.

Sweet citrus taste that quickly mingles with a barrage of hops. Simcoe hops seem to be the predominant taste but there are more flavors to be savored. My one gripe is that the hoppiness is rather untamed. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love hops but there just doesn't seem to be a smooth, consistent taste here. One taste is exceptional and the next taste is so-so. The aftertaste is bitter, dry with fruity notes.

A nice, fizzy mouthfeel makes this a pleasure on the palate. Though, drinkability is somewhat challenged by the unbalanced flavor.

There are some great flavors going on this beer. I think that with a little control it could become one of the better IPAs on the market.

3.12/5  rDev -12.4%

After being poured, the beer was a foggy light amber. It created a large head with decent retention. The foam stuck to the glass.

The beer had a strong hoppy aroma.

This IPA had an extremely strong and bitter taste. It was extremely hoppy and piney with a hint of fruit.

The body was a full medium. It left and bitter aftertaste that last quite awhile, and a bit bothersome.

Although in general I enjoy IPA's, but I felt that this one was sub par. The aftertaste was pretty awful as it was bitter but tangy at the same time. I like it and would suggest giving it a try.

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

Clearer orange with a twinge of red in the middle. Large foamy white head. Good lacing. Smells floral and resiny. Nice pine acidity and grapefruit flavors in the aroma. Taste is fruitier. Good malt base with a touch of residual sugars in there. Nice hop combination. Sort of English in style with the fruity flavors, but more piney towards the end. Hops control but it's very balance and smooth. Good creaminess in the mouthfeel as well. Enjoyable.

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%

I've only recently started venturing out and trying other IPAs and the Snake Dog is definitely one of the better ones I have had so far. From the moment I cracked the bottle cap, I could smell the hops.

This beer poured a amber/orangey color with a small white head. It had a pleasant citrus aroma to it which is my favorite smell from an IPA. The taste was excellent. This beer shocked my taste buds and left a warming sensation throughout my body (I know that sounds pretty lame...). I had three of these tonight, all three went down smoothly. I'll definitely be coming back around for another 6-pack of these at some point!

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours a particularly orange color. Good head and lacing. A nice looking beer.

Smell: A good amount of citrus hops aroma.

Taste: Tastes pretty good to me, some biscuity malts and a good amount of bitter hop character.

Mouthfeel: Good body and carbonation, no complaints to be heard here.

Drinkability: A drinkable IPA, but I think I prefer Flying Dog's APA.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours amber with creamy white head. Nose is herbal hop aromas and sweet malts. The flavor is very bitter, with lots of malts to balance. Some fruitiness is present as well. Medium mouthfeel, I'm not noticing a lot of carbonation. This is good, I wouldn't mind drinking a few of these. This beer isn't spectacular, but it is solid. I might drink this again, but there are better choices out there as well.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12oz. brown bottle with one of the strangest labels (as with all Flying Dog, strange art labels), abstract and funky, pours a rather brilliant amber-gold with almost a finger of off-white head. Nicely carbonated with tiny bubbles rising from the bottom, but not enough too replentish the fallen head. Some decent lacing sticks to the glass.

First sniff is quite hoppy and pine like. As is sits in the glass for a couple minutes, the hop aroma subsides as some toasty malt and a fruity sweetness take over. Fruity esters of alcohol and a nice tobacco scent come through as the hops smell grassy and faint now.

The taste is a mildly sweet roast malt with a flavor of fresh pipe tobacco through the middle that turns citrusy and hop bittering to the finish. Kind of strange, the hops have lost the piney aspect they had in the beginning. The brew becomes more citrus in the finish with an aftertaste of orange peel.

Moderate alcohol and a medium body, this is an easy drinker with a pleasant and refreshing taste. Worth a try for the style.

Note: I had this one a few years ago in a case I bought at work and don't remember this one tasting as good as this one reviewed today...pleasantly suprised.

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle

Flying dog IPA was golden orange in color with a nice off-white head. The head had good retention and left lots of lace behind. Hops dominated the aroma. The taste was also dominated by hops. It was medium bodied with good carbonation. The drinkability was good. Middle of the road IPA.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

One of the local stores has started carrying Flying Dog. I'd sampled some at the ABF, and thought it worth a try. This was a cloudy orange color with a small head. Very floral (?roses) aroma. On tasting, initially some hoppy bitterness, then some bread. It becomes more smooth as it warms. I liked this beer, will buy it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Snake Dog IPA from Flying Dog Brewery