Road Dog Porter - Flying Dog Brewery

good

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 10-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Road Dog Porter Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger biege head that quickly fades to some surface skim, eventually fading to just a foam ring at the edge, and it leaves some good spotty lacing. Body is dark brown with purple highlights.

Smell - plums, maltbread, some chocolate, hint of nuts, hint of cloves, and raisins, and dates. Mouthwatering.

Taste - same as the smell - plums, dates, raisins, all over maltbread, with a hint of chocolate, nuts, cloves, and yet more sour dark ripe fruit on the finish. Very delicious and hearty.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, smooth, and semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is very good ale. It's hearty and quite sessionable.

4.55/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Another fine beer from Flying Dog.
I especially enjoy the in-heat wheat, but they were out. I've been on a Porter kick, and this seemed like a good choice. It certainly didn't dissapoint.

Poured deep dark chocolate in color, with a thick pillow-like mocha head which flattens in a few minutes.

Wonderful mouthfeel with hints of coffee, mocha, fresh bread and licorice throughout. Every sip was full of flavor. Exceptional quality.

That is good beer. No shit. The label tells me so.
-- edit --
Re-reviewing this 6 months later to include:
Minimal lace, and moss-like earthy aroma.

4.47/5  rDev +27%

This is my first review so bear with me. I hope I do ok. First impression is this is a malty beer. I poor in to a mug however mine is not clear so I could not get a great look at the color, but from looking down in to the beer it was a nice dark amber color. I got zero head but that may be because of the glass ware or perhaps even the way I poured. Again, I am a newb so please forgive me. The mug really let the smell open up and I got a wonderful malt aroma. First drink was nice. Mouth feel was not too heavy but is was creamy at the same time. There was a surprising amount of carbonation but it was actually pleasing. The initial taste had a very slight sweetness followed quickly by a moderately bitter aftertaste, but it was a pleasant bitterness. There was almost no alcohol taste despite its 6% ALC/VOL, which to me is a huge plus. Other than that, I can not really say much as far as the hints of that and hints of this because my palate is not developed. I will say that this to me is a really good beer that I would have no issue buying again. I doubt the sixer I picked up will last too long.

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%

a: very dark black color with dark amber hues eigth inch head that dissapears fast leaving a little lacing a truly inviting appearance
s: the roasted malt aroma is very strong kind of like a nice coffee except not as hot and with more alcohol in it although the alcohol is not detectable in the nose. there is a little hop aroma presence although it is very subtle
t: strong roasted malt flavor similar to the nose its like a nice coffee more so than any of the other porters ive had, hints of chocolate light hop presence
m: medium bodied beer with average carbonation very nice

truly a great beer i enjoyed it very much

4.43/5  rDev +25.9%

I am a sucker for a good porter so I have to say this may influence my decision. A good beer taster should never be biased! I love porters, what can I say!
I think this porter is very nice! It's smooth, lightly carbonated, and it's roasted malts are light enough to enjoy all summer long! If your robust, rich porters are too much for you this summer and want something alittle lighter, but still a porter, give this a shot.

4.4/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured a dark brown with ruby red highlights and a good two finger tan head that held to a covering on the beer and a patchy lace. floral earthy aromas but very light in the nose. taste is where this beer comes through, sweet caramel with toffee and fresh brewed coffee and hint of chocolate and molasses. medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. nice tasty beer, nice malty balance of flavors in the taste.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

Nice label, mates. To spare the children, I won't list what they say.

The beer is see through, which irks me when we are talking porter. The coloring is reddish-brown with a soda-pop head that fizzes out like a cola.

Smells like porter heaven. Great, spicy scents of cinnamon and sweet chocolate malt. It almost smells like they put some artificially engineered scents in there, in a good, science-is-progress kind of way.

Majorly malty flavor. Good nutty and coffee elements. This is a hazelnut lover's dream. In the midst of all this, the hops are clearly there.

The feel is strong, substantial, and heady...but not too much so.

This is a porter heavy enough to satisfy. However, the heaviness is not overdone, which creates a pretty even-handed drinking experience. The balanced flavor and great smells make this a pretty appealing brew.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

I gave this higher marks than it probably deserves because I really like it. Porters often are too heavy, closer to a stout. This one is too light for the style, but extremely drinkable as a result of it.

It's no secret, put "dog" in the brewery name and I am somehow attracted to it. Beats me why, but it works again for the Flying Dog guys. I like their stuff. They sell one of the best, if not the best, samplers available. Even the lager is worth drinking. Much like Great Lakes' sampler. Heavenly.

Any regular reader of my reviews would realize that I am way off topic, as usual. My point is that because this is a less than full flavored porter, it is more drinkable. It is a fine brew.

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

low roasted malt aroma. low hop aroma. no ester. good head retention. dark tan head. poor lacing.

very dark brown. clarity is good but the beer is so dark it must held to the light to see through, and then it takes on a dark red/mahogany color.

tastes strongly of roasted malts. lots of malt bitterness but the bitterness of the roasted grain is very strong as well. beer is overall bitter.

medium body. medium carbonation.

complex and flavorful roasty character is spot on. i think hunter thompson would like this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

A - Very dark color. Little head a bit brown off white. Beer is ruby red if you hold it up to the light. Doesn't look like there is any thing suspended and no sediment left in the bottle.

S - sweet & chocolatey. Maybe some vanilla. a little earthy

T - Roasted coffee on the inhale of the sip. Chocolate and earthy peat near the back of your mouth

M - Light mouth feel. Smooth and not a lot of carbonation. Not a huge after taste.

D - Good flavor and a nice drink. The 6% could be a bit much to handle for the whole nite. Really nice tho and lots of good flavor

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Look - Pours a nice dark red/brown color. Although, I feel it was a bit lighter than I thought it was going to be.

Smell - Malty, Chocolate. I had to swirl the beer in the glass a few times to get a good smell. It seems to be lacking in the aroma department.

Taste - The taste is really what saves this beer for me. Malt, Chocolate, slight licorice taste in the finish. It has a lighter mouthfeel than most porters and is much smoother.

A very good offering in the Flying Dog beer line. I look forward to tasting all of their beers.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

I poured this beer into my glass at what probably equates to "cellar temp" (probably 50-55deg.) I prefer to try darker beers at higher temps for better aroma and complexeties of taste.

Appears slightly lighter than most porters I have had. I could not pour for head as usual since all my pints were dirty, had to use a 13oz. mug. What little head there was stuck around and left a bit of lace.

Smell is mostly grain with a hint of sweetness, did not translate into added flavor on initial splash like many beers.

Taste develops nicely as it sits/swishes in the mouth. A very balanced beer, nothing I noticed overpowering. Maybe a bit malty, but I prefer beers that lean toward malty in the hop/malt balancing act.

Mouthfeel is balanced as well, maybe not as smooth as some porters and suprisingly carbonated.

Drink ability is where I think this beer shines. In fact maybe a bit too drinkable with a 6.0 abv. It just sips/drinks well. Does not feel as heavy as some others. Anchor is my favorite porter, but due to its fullness I think it is not as "drinkable" as this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

Pours out very dark, pretty with red hues where light comes through.

Smells like a complicated mixture of goodness. Like a potpourri store or an incense rack at a head shop, which makes the lightness of the odor great because too much of this good thing would probably be overpowering, and if you've ever stood by an incense rack and breathed deep then you know what I'm talking about. It's a spicy smell, but a fruity spicy with hints of coffee.

This is a very complicated taste, but great all around. There must be a five different, very distinct flavors of malt in this thing, and they mix together perfectly. Bittersweet chocolate upfront with hints of sugared malt and licorice in the aftertaste.

Goes down smooth with light carbonation.

Truly a great beer!

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

A great porter because it has all the rich flavors of a porter while stilll being incredibly drinkable and not over-whelming.

When Pouring it into my glass I was a little dissapointed with the head color and body. I'd only drunk it out of the bottle straight, before now.

Good beers like this keep their flavor even when sitting on the table for 30 minutes. This is a very good example.

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

I brought a six-pack to a poker night with buddies. I was able to drink two but the others were lost to the group.

A: It poured a dark brown body with a off white head and moderate lacing.

S: It had a bold aroma of roasted malts, smoky almonds and chocolate flavored coffee.

T: It had a sweet malty beginning with a strong but not overpowering coffee backside. The roasted malts and hops produced a nice chocolate flavored coffee flavor that tended to the sweet side which I expected from the Scottish ale style. This was more reminiscent of a porter.

M: It had a medium body with a nice coffee bite and clean finish. Very lightly carbonated.

D: Nicely executed brew. I found the balance between the sweet malts and porter profile to be about right. My buddies found it a tad too sweet. Personally, I wished I had gotten my hands on more than just two that evening. I'll be back for more.

Road Dog Porter from Flying Dog Brewery