Hefeweizen - Flying Dog Brewery

Maryland, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-22-2001

Formerly In-Heat Wheat
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 714 | Hads: 1,560

This beer came in a variety pack. If it had not, there is absolutely no way I would have purchased it.

To start, the beer name is "In Heat Wheat." The name is about as appetizing a dog's seminal fluid. In fact, if I had the choice of trying this beer again or drinking a dogs ejaculatory fluid, I would invariably choose the later. This beer was downright awful. I suggest we use it to torture terrorists. I know I would talk. The flavor was that of rotten banana's that had been strained through dirty gym socks filled with diarrhea. Every single aspect of this beer was awful.

I beg you, for your mental well being, don't drink this beer. (644 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -69.3%

A- poured in a cloudy very yellowish color

S- terrible...a mixture of citrus and banana mixed with plastic

T- God awful, couldn't finish this if i tried...a banany/wheat/citrus flavor

M- didn't even realize it, i had to swallow it as fast as i could because it tasted so bad

D- never again

overall, terrible...i will never try, smell, or be associated with this beer ever again (383 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -59.1%

A: Pours a nice straw yellow with a 3 finger puffy head. Great look to a hefeweizen.

S: Not very good. Smells like bananas and spices. Very malty.

T: Awful. Bananas and cloves and bread. No depth and not real good flavor profile.

Will never buy this beer again. I am a fan of the hefeweizens, especially during the spring/summer months so this was a huge disappointment for me. The only thing that was good was the pour and look. Nice try Flying Dog Brewey. (462 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer looks like a typical hefeweizen, yellow and cloudy. The head was pure white.

The aroma is very artificial, like plastic almost. The taste is almost exactly same, very artificial tasting.

This beer is also a little heavier than other hefeweizens I've had. All in all, just not very good, I'd recommend any other hefeweizen over this one. (349 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -50.3%

Bottle courtesy of Okbeer: Poured a big foamy white head with very little liquid actually showing – seems like there might be an infection going on. Aroma is very weak with maybe some light wheat but I am not picking up any sourness from the infection I had feared. Taste is also quite weird with some light wheat but none of the banana or ester aspects that I usually associate with hefeweizen. I couldn’t really care about that one. This batch as brewed in April of 2007 and drank in May of 2007. (500 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -50%

Poured into a conical pint. Poured a very murky golden color with a very large head that dissappeared as quick as it poured. Left a nice small sheet on the surface though.

Smells sour with some definite yeast and maybe a hint of pineapple. Smelled clean.

Tasted very tart and citrusy. Could definitely taste the yeast and wheat on this one. I don't know; there was no freshness date on this one. It tasted like it had gone bad. I may have to try this again and re-review, but this one was awful.

Overall, not a style I'm all that crazy about, but especially this one. I'll give it another shot, but my expectations have sunk to a low. (639 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -44.3%

I'm a fan of several Flying Dog beers, but unfortunately this isn't one of them. We got two bottles in a flying dog variety pack and both of them were very very "skunky" similar to when you buy imported hefeweizens here in the states and they haven't been handled properly. I didn't even finish the whole bottle. It was pretty horrid and that says something cuse i'm a big fan of hefes. (386 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -41.5%

To be fair this is not one of my favorite styles of a beer and Flying Dog is not one of my favorite breweries. I gave it a shot when i found it in the mix pack and was pretty disappointed. Poured a nice cloudy wheat color, looked great in the glass. It initially tasted pretty sweet and then turned to leave a gross taste afterwards. It kinda made me sick. One of the things that come to mind when i think of the taste is an almost metallic flavor. This one is not for me. (472 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

First introduced to this type of beer when I was stationed in Germany 20 years ago and loved it because it was so different from anything I've ever had. Now that there are a lot of craft breweries it has lost some of it's appeal.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Color is a nice cloudy amber like you would expect from a beer of this type. Nice white head about an inch thick.

Smelled a bit skunky to me. There was no indicator of how old it was but the store I bought it from does a good business so I doubt it was too old.

Tasted like a typical Hefeweizen but it had a tartness to it that I didn't especially like.

I may try another one to make sure I didn't get a bad one but if that one is skunky and tangy, it will be my last. (746 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

After being poured into a glass this beer appears a translucent gold. There was little head, which dissipated quickly.

The smell is like a spice apple drink.

Its taste is a mix between the spicy apple cider and sparkling apple juice I had in my youth. Which although both were quite tasty, them combined in my beer is not satisfying to my personal taste.

In my mouth it gave a tang, which felt like it was more from the flavor than the caronation. The aftertaste is a bit lack luster, and it leaves my mouth wanting some water.

In-Heat Wheat is not very easy to drink. The taste is very tangy and the aftertaste will bother.

Although I think it is worth a try to taste a unique beer, I personally will not have another one. (739 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into Weissbier glass.

A: This was next to a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier in an identical glass, and there was no comparison to be made. In-Heat had no head to be seen and was several shades lighter, and much less cloudy.

S: Reminiscent of American Adjunct Lager.

T: I gave this beer away to my girlfriend.

M: Solid carbonation, and pretty watery.

D: I could chug these if I wanted to get slammed...it took up almost no space in my stomach. (452 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

12oz bottle poured into my new Chimay goblet.

The beer pours cloudy, and is a shade or two darker than gold. There's really no head or lacing to speak of, very disappointing for the style. The lack of a head predictably impacts the nose negatively, as I get a vague distincly wheaty sweetness and just a hint of banana. Honestly, In-Heat Wheat tastes like some sort of macro version of a hefe. The expected banana yeast and almost vanilla wheat flavors are there, but it tastes noticeably watered down. The body is approporiately light, but for a beer with no head/lacing this beer has a very overbearing carbonation, fizzy is probably a good word for it. With a light body and an inoffensive taste it is somewhat quaffable, but it's not tasty enough that I'm excited about having more. Raging Bitch was a solid beer, but In-Heat Wheat is a major letdown. I have a couple more Flying Dog beers on deck for the next few days and I hope they're a bit better than this one. (971 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just not my glass of beer. Poured hazy and remained that way. Light amber in color (IBU 12). Some report a good head, mine was very light from the beginning and dissipated down to a thin ring around the edge of the glass. There is a nice lacing that clings to the side of the glass. Like many things new, wheat has a quite different flavor than the traditional hop. Smells like wet straw with a light burnt aroma, much like a barn full of hay after a evening rain. There is more flavor as the beer warms, but not so much of an improvement, just a heavier sampling of the colder flavor. Sorry, this is drinkable, but I would go out and buy more. (644 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -34.9%

Notes Sep 13, 2008
Cloudy orange/yellow pour. Smells of banana, clove, hay,and grass. Tastes of yeast and grass,with an oily citrus mouthfeel,thin body.I tried this beer 3 times and just did not like it,not a big heff fan and this did nothing to fix that ,sorry just not for me. (279 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -33.8%

A - very murky in color, almost looks like I'm drinking orange juice

S - there's something about the smell that I don't particularly like and I cant really describe it...almost fruity.

T - like I said about the smell, theres a funky almost fruity taste.

M - despite its taste, its mouth feel is decent.

D - its drinkable but the after taste haunts me.

Overall, I'm not really impressed with the hefeweizen. It just doesnt sit well with me. The taste lingers like its reminding me that I actually drank it. There's no head and that taste is just odd. What I like about Flying Dog is the artwork by Ralph Steadman which encourages me to collect the bottles. Otherwise, I dont really recommend this particular beer. I could see myself drinking this over time and gradually getting into it to acquire the taste but its just not right to me....on to the next flavor...

as a side note: I'm still new to the variety of beer and the overwhelming taste of wheat was unusual to me especially mixed with orange... (1,009 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%

pours very cloudy brownish yellow with a huge 3+ finger head that left no lacing

smell - banana and fruity esters not much else

taste - not good - overly carbonated semi sour banana soda with some fruity esters - no spice no wheat - not good

mouthfeel is light and overly carbonated

drinkability - out of all the hefe's i have had this would one would close to the last one i would ever want to drink again (410 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -33%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Pours a dark yellow color, very cloudy. Made a decent sized head but quickly was gone, not leaving much behind at all. The smell of this brew is spicy, and some fruits. I wanna say lemon or other bitter smelling fruits. Taste is quite like it smells very spicy and citrus, I didnt taste much hops in this one at all. Very carboniated.

Overall it was cool to try but I could not see myself drinking more then 1 of these at a time. I will say it tastes very very diffrent then the other beers I have been trying lately. From all the reviews from Flying Dog pretty good I expected a bit more from this one. (645 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -31.3%

I don't come across many american made beers where i live, so if i see one, I jump on the opportunity. After all, we should all keep open minds to new experiences.

Of course, buying it in Europe probably means it's from a big mainstream brewery, not the specialists I hold in higher regard.

This beer fizzes and smells like cider. The head is quickly gone. Floaty bits are moving about in hazy orange coloured beer.
The taste is dominated by somewhat wild yeastyness. Not much else.
It's close to disappointing. Even though there's allways some hops and citrus in the weissen style, the yeast is dominating this brew.
It doesn't support the aftertaste.
I'm not impressed.
I will give 1 extra point on drinkability for the funny label and name though. (754 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured a light yellow color with all the "murkiness" I like in a hefe. Very disappointed at both the small head and the complete lack of retention.

First noseful was a artificial banana odor. The metallic tinge to the aroma turned my off quite quickly.

Flavor had the same saccahrin sweet artificial banana taste. I took a second sip, and was upset that I can't get the tin odor of my nose while drinking.

The feel in my mouth is the only high note to this brew. There was the fullness I expect in an unfiltered beer.

Overall, I say if you want a weizen, choose something else. I, as a fan of weizen, may have put a slightly higher standard on this then other styles, but this beer falls short of even my general taste. (733 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In Heat Wheat by Flying Dog from 12oz bottle at 40 F from Pint

Appearance: Golden brew with soapy white head. Fairly still. Average or better head retention. Nice unfiltered appearance.

Smell: Mild clove and banana, appropriate for style but too faint. The beer is not effervescent enough to bring out the aromas.

Taste: Again mild clove and banana with weak nondiscript hop bitterness. Little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Fair-average body. Faint carbonation.

Drinkability: Has the basic look, smell and taste of a Hefeweissen, but lacks the muscle and complexity to make it a good example of this style. (619 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured a pale straw color into a pilsner glass with a decent two finger head that quickly faded.

S - Smelled kinda grassy, like dried weeds. Hints of spice such as clove. Very underwhelming

T - A real let down here, I'm a huge fan of the style but this doesn't represent it very well. Dull wheat and a bit over spiced, very unbalanced. Tasted kinda like an over carbonated Sprite, too much lemon, almost tasted artificial.

M - Light and bubbly, nothing special.

D - This was a one and done for me. Not a very good representation of the style IMO. Nice to enjoy on a hot day, because it is very light but not much more than that. (637 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pale relatively clear yellow in color, not the cloudy yellow I'm used to for wheat beers. Lemon, banana, clove, and some off bread notes on the nose. Nothing too inviting - the smells are kind of just there. Taste is a real let down - water down citrus and a touch of banana with dry finish. Mouthfeel is rough due to the heavy carbonation. I don't know - I thought I liked this when I first tried a few months back, but now it just doesn't do anything for me. Recommendation to avoid. (512 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -27.3%

Cable went out so having this at the bar next door while watching the ncaa championship game.

A - Cloudy golden orange color that had a big white head with good retention. Sheets of stick left on the sides.

S - Banana and clove sweetness with a bit of citrus. Yeast and a bit if candy-caramel sweetness.

T - Overly sweet like rock candy. Some clove and yeast, but the syrupy sugar taste is kind of sickening, making this hard to drink. Pretty gross.

M - Creamy with a slight carbonation bite. Syrupy and surprisingly near full bodied.

O - Not a very good beer, I've had a lot of better hefeweizens. Don't feel like this is a hard style, but this is not a good example of it. (679 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

From the bottle. Pours a pale yellow with a large head. The head will lesson but not completely disappear it will lace the glass thorough. The taste is creamy perhaps vanilla and has a taste of bananas. The mouthfeel is light, watery, and lightly carbonated Drinkability is average. (282 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

From the sampler pack....

Appearence: Standard for a wheat, a bit lighter, cloudy , yellow golden.

Smell: A little lower than average. It lacked some of the scent of a full-bodied wheat beer.

Mouth: Average for a wheat. Good, thick, chewy, with a grainy taste.

Taste: Fruity beginning, typical of wheats, but it seemed like there was a hole in the center with no follow through. I have the Upland Wheat every time I go to Rich-o's, and I compare all wheat beers to that. It had a lingering taste of wheats that I've had, but nothing in the middle.

Drinkability: Less than average. I wasn't impressed enough with the off flavors to make me want another. It didn't seem as full, despite appearences. (716 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last