In-Heat Wheat - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of In-Heat Wheat Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

Nice golden color and poured in to a pint glass with about two fingers worth of head that dissipates quickly. Got a very strong wheat smell to start but it also went away after a quick swirl.

While crisp it tasted almost soapy and had a strong aftertaste that was kind of sour. I can't say I am enjoying this much at all. The mouthfeel is fine, nice carbonation but I can't get past the aftertaste. As I continue I got some banana flavoring on my tongue.

4.1/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a cloudy peach color. and has a white head. This is by far the fruitiest Hefe I have ever enjoyed. It reeks of bananas and cloves and they dominate the flavor too .The more sips I take the more I like it. Another top-notch brew from the Flying Dog Brewery.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a dark yellow. No exceptionally impressive, nor is the smell.
Taste is a mild well crafted hop side of things with a sweet, wheat malt counter. This beer is exceptionally drinkable. Slight flavor/aroma of campfire. I really enjoyed this one.
There is a slight alcohol aftertaste, but I didn't find that this detracted from the beer.
There's also a berry flavor in there, but I can't put my finger on it.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

Decent looking hazy golden ale with a small head, that fades to the edges. There's some really nice lacing that hangs around after a swig.

The aroma is wheat, banana and spices. The taste mirrors the aroma, but the mouth feel is just too thin and watery to make much of an impression. A perfectly drinkable beer, but lacks any qualities that make it stand out in a crowd of hefe weizens.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A- Looks pretty much like a wheat beer should, dark yellow, a little hazy, I remember it being a little hazier then this in the past though

S- def. banana, slight bubble gum, fruity and estery

T- Taste is good, pretty clean with minimal hops, pretty sweet on the tongue. Has a slight after taste that lingers a bit.

M- decent mouth feel, a bit thin but easy to swish and swirl about.

D- very easy to put down a few, I would recommend for an easy summer day

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

This brew pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head. The smell is slightly grassy, slightly lemony and there's a touch of banana, but it's understated overall. The taste is okay, though mild and fleeting. There are tastes of pear and banana, but I couldn't detect any of the clove-like phenolics I look for in a weizen. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy yet could be fuller-bodied. Not bad, not great...just average.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Picked up from my local “Harry Food’s” in Cleveland as part of a mixed 12 pack. Nice little find for something in my little town.

Pours out surprisingly…yellow..and clear; almost reminds me of a macro lager in appearance. Then I remember to give it a swirl and a dump…and I get that trade mark hefe yeasty/cloudiness. Head tries to roll up, but not like other hefe’s I’ve seen, pretty paltry in comparison actually. Retention isn’t there either.

The smell is thick and enjoyable. Over-ripe banana, big heavy yeast, and the characteristic cloviness of a hefe.

As I drink it a dry-wheat flavor plays astringently over the front of my tongue. A heavy, almost doughy, yeasty sweetness takes hold in the middle. This is rounded out at the end by the powerful tones of (brown)bananas with a spicy peppery note. Mouthfeel is medium light and super-slippery, carbonation makes it even a tad lighter on the tongue.

A pleasant experience overall..sweet, light and refreshing.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.93/5  rDev +12%

I could beat my meat while knockin down In Heat, and the finish would be sweet, from its weak ass head to its tasty feet of malted wheat. Lil bit light, so too many could make me piss my sheet, but fuller than I expected so with the dog again I will meet. A bit untypical, so indeed a treat, almost 6% ABV so the brew keeps me in my seat. To an unexperienced craft enthusiast, this beer makes a perfect greet, to the experienced drinker...milk from the tasty teet.

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured a golden-straw color,cloudy, reminiscent of honey straight from the honeycomb. Little or no head at all, left a little white lacing. Smell is sweet, bready and a hint of spice. Tastes somewhat sweet and malty, with tones of spice and honey. Finishes clean and with a slight yeasty aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and moderate in carbonation. Easy to drink, overall nothing exceptional, but a worth a shot.

3.8/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance - Light golden-yellow color. Cloudy, but not as cloudy and many hefes I've had. Better swirl the last few ounces next time.... Did not produce a good head; it was not thick and most of it disappeared quickly. Some head remained for the entire beer.

Smell - Clovey aroma present. Actually smells quite spicy. I do not detect the presence of hops.

Taste - Yeasty, yet smooth, with clove and spice notes, and with a tangy and bubbly afterbite. The taste is pleasant. Somewhere in there is just the slightest hint of pineapple or mango (maybe banana?). This beer has quite a few flavors going on at one time.

Mouthfeel - This beer has a thicker mouthfeel than expected. However, given the light, smooth flavor, this is not necessarily a drawback.

Drinkability - This beer goes down easily despite all the flavors (subtle and otherwise) packed inside. I would buy another.

Comments - This is my first Flying Dog beer. I look forward to sampling the rest of their lineup. The beer is not perfect, but is ahead of many. It is definitely worth a try.

When I rinsed out the bottle, there was a whole bunch of yeast that I missed. Therefore, those reading my review should take this into account when considering my "Appearance" rating.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow with not much head.

Smell: Very strong aroma of bananas and yeast. There is also some lemon present.

Taste: Starts with a slight hop taste and then moves right to a smooth yeast and banana flavor. Ends with lemon.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

This is my first brew from Flying Dog and I will be definitely trying there other offerings. This taste a lot like a Hefe Weizen which I like. Good job.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Dark yellow, nice white head, carbonation is right on for the style.

Banana and clove aroma and taste, slight metallic taste in the finish that reduced drinkability a tad for me.

Overall a very pleasant brew. Washed down my frozen pizza very well. I got a lot of banana out of it, which was good but a touch overcontrolling to me. I think a fresh one on tap would be darn tasty.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured agressively into a weizen glass. Creamy, white 1 finger head dissipates very quickly, which was disappointing. Dark yellow in color and cloudy due to style.

Smells of sweet and bananas with a slight hint of citrus.

Taste starts a bit tart before the sweet maltiness moves in.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonation helps keep this from being undrinkable.

Drinkability with a low ABV and the sweet aroma this could be a very sessionable beer on a warm spring/summer day.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a nice cloudy yellow/orange, with minimal head. It was there, just not alot of it. Smelled, well, like I'd expect a good wheat to smell like. Very little of anything else, maybe a hint of citrus. Taste as nice as it smells. Delicious, not overpowering, not subtle, just about right on. Has a "thick" feel to it, again, what I would expect from a good wheat. Ranks right up there with some of my favorites. Very, very well done.

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Nice golden color, cloudy yeast-haze. Head was disappointing for a wheat. In fact, I'm less than halfway through the glass, and it's gone. The smell is very fruity, light clove, heavy wheat malt. The taste is again, nothing spectacular, not not horrible. Hops and yeast battle back and forth for dominance of your mouth. Very drinkable, but to me it seems as though someone took an Ayinger or Weihenstephaner and watered it down.

A -- A hazy bright straw brew that pours into a two finger head and settles slowly into a thick skim, leaving a thin lace.

S -- Light notes of banana and clove on the nose, with a great yeast and wheat profile.

T -- A touch of citrus upfront, a yeasty kick of clove, a sweet maltiness and some light vanilla notes toward the end.

M -- A light bodied beer with nice carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

D -- Nice offering for fans of the style, worth a pickup for fans of wheat beers.

In-Heat Wheat from Flying Dog Brewery