In-Heat Wheat - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-22-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,535 | Reviews: 715

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a cloudy gold colour with acceptable white head. Definitely hints of banana and citrus in the taste. An average beer of the type. Look for the alternatives top rated Hefeweizen beers

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.4/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a dark yellow. No exceptionally impressive, nor is the smell.
Taste is a mild well crafted hop side of things with a sweet, wheat malt counter. This beer is exceptionally drinkable. Slight flavor/aroma of campfire. I really enjoyed this one.
There is a slight alcohol aftertaste, but I didn't find that this detracted from the beer.
There's also a berry flavor in there, but I can't put my finger on it.

3.06/5  rDev -12.8%

Nice golden color and poured in to a pint glass with about two fingers worth of head that dissipates quickly. Got a very strong wheat smell to start but it also went away after a quick swirl.

While crisp it tasted almost soapy and had a strong aftertaste that was kind of sour. I can't say I am enjoying this much at all. The mouthfeel is fine, nice carbonation but I can't get past the aftertaste. As I continue I got some banana flavoring on my tongue.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a cloudy peach color. and has a white head. This is by far the fruitiest Hefe I have ever enjoyed. It reeks of bananas and cloves and they dominate the flavor too .The more sips I take the more I like it. Another top-notch brew from the Flying Dog Brewery.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A- Looks pretty much like a wheat beer should, dark yellow, a little hazy, I remember it being a little hazier then this in the past though

S- def. banana, slight bubble gum, fruity and estery

T- Taste is good, pretty clean with minimal hops, pretty sweet on the tongue. Has a slight after taste that lingers a bit.

M- decent mouth feel, a bit thin but easy to swish and swirl about.

D- very easy to put down a few, I would recommend for an easy summer day

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

Decent looking hazy golden ale with a small head, that fades to the edges. There's some really nice lacing that hangs around after a swig.

The aroma is wheat, banana and spices. The taste mirrors the aroma, but the mouth feel is just too thin and watery to make much of an impression. A perfectly drinkable beer, but lacks any qualities that make it stand out in a crowd of hefe weizens.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

This brew pours a hazy straw color with a fluffy white head. The smell is slightly grassy, slightly lemony and there's a touch of banana, but it's understated overall. The taste is okay, though mild and fleeting. There are tastes of pear and banana, but I couldn't detect any of the clove-like phenolics I look for in a weizen. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy yet could be fuller-bodied. Not bad, not great...just average.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%

Picked up from my local “Harry Food’s” in Cleveland as part of a mixed 12 pack. Nice little find for something in my little town.

Pours out surprisingly…yellow..and clear; almost reminds me of a macro lager in appearance. Then I remember to give it a swirl and a dump…and I get that trade mark hefe yeasty/cloudiness. Head tries to roll up, but not like other hefe’s I’ve seen, pretty paltry in comparison actually. Retention isn’t there either.

The smell is thick and enjoyable. Over-ripe banana, big heavy yeast, and the characteristic cloviness of a hefe.

As I drink it a dry-wheat flavor plays astringently over the front of my tongue. A heavy, almost doughy, yeasty sweetness takes hold in the middle. This is rounded out at the end by the powerful tones of (brown)bananas with a spicy peppery note. Mouthfeel is medium light and super-slippery, carbonation makes it even a tad lighter on the tongue.

A pleasant experience overall..sweet, light and refreshing.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

I could beat my meat while knockin down In Heat, and the finish would be sweet, from its weak ass head to its tasty feet of malted wheat. Lil bit light, so too many could make me piss my sheet, but fuller than I expected so with the dog again I will meet. A bit untypical, so indeed a treat, almost 6% ABV so the brew keeps me in my seat. To an unexperienced craft enthusiast, this beer makes a perfect greet, to the experienced drinker...milk from the tasty teet.

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

3.4/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a golden-straw color,cloudy, reminiscent of honey straight from the honeycomb. Little or no head at all, left a little white lacing. Smell is sweet, bready and a hint of spice. Tastes somewhat sweet and malty, with tones of spice and honey. Finishes clean and with a slight yeasty aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and moderate in carbonation. Easy to drink, overall nothing exceptional, but a worth a shot.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
In-Heat Wheat from Flying Dog Brewery