Gonzo Imperial Porter - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Baltic Porter |  9.20% ABV

ABV varies.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-04-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gonzo Imperial Porter Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours pitch black with a gorgeous 1.5" brown rocky head. Big gobs of lace... perfect.

Smells strongly of raisins (a completely unique smell IMO). Some very faint coffee in the background, prunes, plums.... a kind of coppery bitterness.... almost acrid.

Big tastes of plum and fig. Huge taste.... very complex.... extremely nice.
Coffee and raisins make themselves apparent in this one as well. Quite enjoyable.

Finally, a porter than isn't too thin... hooray!.... perfect, creamy mouthfeel. A subdued, almost inactive carbonation. Extremely well done.

I never though I'd say this, but this taste is almost too big for me to drink too many of these. That being said, the abv is extraordinarily well hidden, yielding quite the drinkable brew... all in all extremely well done.

nickss, Dec 12, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Appears black with a small light brown head that retains well. Nice chunky lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of sweet chocolate, bitter-sweet chocolate, light caramel and toffee notes, along with a fruity blackberry jam and raisins with some minty and piney hops coming through.
Taste is of the same aromas with a nice, clean sweetness that entices the tastebuds with a hop burst.
Mouthfeel is chewy and extremely delicious with sweetness, making me lick my lips waiting for the next go. Perhaps a bit too much on the sweetness for some but it sure did tickle my fancy.
Drinkability...this is by far my favorite by Flying Dog. It took me for a wild ride that I'm itching to come back to.

weeare138, Dec 11, 2005

Served on-tap at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena, CA

This beer poured from the tap like molasses. Unfortunately I got the end of the keg, so I got half a glass and about as much head. Still, deep deep black-brown with a daark brown thick head. Some lacing. The head vanished with the beer.

Very intense nose, smokey and malty, very strong. It was almost enough to put me off the beer until I smelled it again, noting the complexity.

The first taste was mostly head, so I let it settle some more. On second taste, this is one of the most bitter and smokey and complex beers I have ever tasted. It is simply magnificent. Too many things to name. Lingering bitter, but not unpleasant, aftertaste.

It felt like heaven in the mouth and was very drinkable. I would have it again if it weren't the end of the keg.

BassBone, Dec 10, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance- Black like my soul. Well not a newsprint black of course. Closer to a dark, dark brown. With an excellent brown mixed with white, two-finger head, with a nice heady film maintained throughout the entire drink.

Smell- Compelx smell of hops, rye, and a deep mocha.

Taste- Roasted malt sweetness with lots of cappucino-y, chocolatey flavors. But hops made its presence known. Slight warming hint of alcohol as well. Also caught a hint of earthy green vegetables of all things. And no I wasn't eating anything while drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel- In the are of medium to heavy. Two of these at the most would be perfect for or with desert. Hops and chocolate sort of glaze the palate.

Drinkability- I'd limit myself to two in one day. Like I said, more of a desert or after dinner or big meal beer to sweeten things out and end the evening.

scruffwhor, Dec 10, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A - poured a very black raisin skin color with a good finger of caramel colo head.
S - A very fragrant roasted malt, toffee and hint of hop, punchy.
T - Mmm, solid flavors of burnt coffee, milk chocolate, roasted malt with a hint of hops. Very solid taste and i was surprised i couldnt taste more of the alcohol.
M&Dr - solidly medium bodied with good carbonation and felt quite nice on the palate. I'm going to age a few bottles of this to see what it taste like. But it taste great now, so why wait.

SwillinBrew, Dec 06, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Dense and black with a thick brown head. Nothing else worth a report.

Aroma slightly bittersweet with a hint of cherry and raisins. Maybe I'm fantasizing a bit, but I smell chocolate donuts in there somewhere.

Full-bodied chocolate flavors. A tasty hit of hops that pop on the tastebuds has a double-pronged effect to balance sweetness and give it an "American" porter feel...if that's a designation. Lightly sour finish helps it balance well.

Coats well. It's hard to believe that the abv is 9.5%.

I find it hard to believe I could drink more than ....2....???, well maybe after 2 I might have a few more. This is a nice beer and in many ways greater than the sum of its parts. Complex flavor and aroma, I think this is a quality tribute to one of the great American writers of the last 50 years.

longarm, Dec 06, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a complety black beer with a dark tan head that is a finger thick and has strong retention and leaves a little lace.. I love the aroma of this beer! It reminds me of the smell of hops as they enter the boil kettle. Spicy hop aroma with a hint of a citrus and a roasty malt as well. The flavor begins with a smooth roast barley and sweet malt flavor that segues into a more spicy hoppy balance to finish with a lingering hop bitterness and a lot of alcohol. The body is smooth and viscous and it has just enough carbonation to keep the head from disapearing. Overall I like this beer because of the very pleasent aroma and the fact that it has a huge flavor and it is distinct. To me it is like the hoppier brother to Old Rasputin which is another beer i love to enjoy during the winter. I think that flying dog should drop their barleywine and sell this instead.

RenoZymurgist, Dec 04, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

This porter poured black with a hint of deep brown at the edges. It started with a 2-finger fluffy, brown head on it but that fell away leaving brown lace on the sides of the glass.

The smell is big on malt with some hop aroma in there as well.

I actually tasted more hops in this porter than I expected. There are definite chocolate & coffee flavors as well as the alcohol notes.

The mouthfeel is just what I expected from a porter. Nothing amazing but decent.

As a huge fan of Hunter S. Thompson and Ralph Stedman's artwork, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this beer. I've never really been overwhelmed by the stuff from Flying Dog but I think this has got to be one of their best for sure. It's certainly not the best porter out there, but definitely worth a try.

As for it being a limited release - it sure seemed hard to find once it came out but I continue to find it lingering around in some local bottle shops. Hopefully the folks at Flying Dog keep it coming. Cheers to Flying Dog, Ralph Stedman, and, of course, Hunter.

guinnessdoc, Dec 02, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

This pours ink black with a creamy tan two finger head.The smell is strong with scents of coffee,chocolate,and malt.Tasting this is like biting into a coffee chocolate bar.This is very rich and creamy, and the flavors are very strong.The m/f is heavy and very well balanced.This is an outstanding beer and if your lucky enough to find it buy it.

jmz62565, Dec 02, 2005

Maroon to black color topped with a slight beige head disappearing quickly. Some sticky residue left a nice oil slick.

Baking chocolate with slight espresso coffee and roasted nuts.

Slick caramel and burnt toffee, dark bittersweet chocolate flavors with a dry hop finish. Sweet yet slightly bitter, very good. The extra abv is well hidden.

Chewy, slick and a vanishing finish make this a very good beer and close to the best porters I've ever had. I am very suprised by Flying Dog. Although I'm never disappointed with their brew I rarely think it this good. Kudos!

Ahhdball, Nov 27, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

A huge fan of Hunter S., AND Flying Dog, I felt compulsed to purchase a 4 pack.
The tall bottle pours lightly into the pint glass, although the red and maroon beer pours thickly into my tilted pint, the aroma of a young wort fills my nostrils. The hops are present, like a healthy stout.
I take a sip. The porter holds to its own. It truely is a porter and not a stout. Oak tennants are present in the beer. It seems to have just a little carbonation, but it could be my poor pour. It seems to have a very present yeasty presence. Unexpected but welcome. It truely embraces the homebrewer. I taste rasins and a full and roasted malt. The lacing down the sides shows me I'm getting an excellent brew.
I'm surprised how YOUNG this beer tastes and smells. It really seems like it could be held in the bottle for at least a couple months and only improve. There seems to be a good bit of sweetness left in the bottle, but most of the yeast seem gone.
But one should respect the hop presence in a very malty beer.
As I get half-way down the pint, I begin to note the heafty alcoholic presence. Kudos, Hunter.

Hunter S. Thompson's quote is left at the bottle and I think it sums up the BeerAdvocate quite nicely:
"Good people drink good beer."

This truely is a good beer, and Thompson truely was a good man.
Not in the traditional sense, but then again, most beer "we" drink isn't considered "good beer" in the traditional sense.

jpwild240, Nov 19, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Pitch black. Initially had a 1 finger dark chocolate head, that reduced down a only a single bubble thick layer. Not much else, no lacing.

Fairly complex aroma. Semisweet chocolate with toffee and some coffee flavors. Dark fruits come through and present an overall sweet aroma. A bit of alcohol as well, but not overwhelming and certianly doesn't detract from the aroma.

Taste is roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Again sweet dark fruits add a subtleness to the flavor. Definately some alcohol notes come through. The alcohol presents itself with a bit of a burn and its flavor really lingers. Overall a good flavor but this hurts the drinkability aspect of this beer in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is medium or so. Nothing outstanding, but fits the style well. As mentioned above the alcohol flavors hurt the drinkability a bit. Still a tasty beer though.

blitz134, Nov 15, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

I am always looking for big beers and am glad I found this one. Offered in a four pack of 12 oz bottles, I took that as a hint that this would be in the Imperial Stout / Barleywine Class and was not dissapointed.

Pour is Dark Brown Black with Amber hints around the edge of the glass, the head is Light brown/Tan with medium sized bubbles that fall quickly into a thin lace, then nothing but an edge ring.

Smell is malty caramel with hints of hop in the background.

Taste is sweet, big malt and hops.

I often remark how Porters are supposed to be a blend of Pale Ale (or IPA and Stout; this seems to be a blend of I2pa and Double Stout.
Big American Hop Profile behind a sizeable malt bill.

I had never considered an 'Imperial Porter' but. . .why not ?

Mouthfeel is full & rich; aftertaste of hops on my tongue for 20 minutes was a bonus in my book !

Gordon at my local 'beer store' informed me about this as soon as he got it in to the back room. so it was fresh, not something that had been sitting around for a while (not that that is bad for Imperial Anything).

Drinkable. As a big beer drinker, I would take this anytime !

HopHeadKen, Nov 13, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -33.5%

Black beer. Fluffy brown head. Decent size to it. Lace is quite nice. Wet cardboard, black malts, chocolate, oxidation. There's some good and some bad on with this aroma. On the buds, I first notice some oily hop tones...then a little alcohol...then some porter qualities. Not necessarily in the order I'd like to see them here either. There's also some of that wet cardboard/oxidation thing going on that detracts from the flavor. Mouthfeel is medicinal and bitter. Body about medium. Subpar for an Imperial Porter if you ask me. A wasted $3. For the Single.

Bighuge, Nov 12, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

The other tribute ale to the originator and standard bearer of gonzo journalism (not to mention an overall damn fine writer) this one appropriately sports Ralph Steadman artwork on the bottle (as do all Flying Dog brews)

The porter is a nice deep brown, black in the center but mahogany red at the edges. An agressive pour yields a thick tan head which falls flat rather quickly but leaves tons of debris on the inside of the glass.

The nose is all malty goodness and alcohol. A bit one dimensional but the taste makes up for that. The flavor is primarily malty goodness with a strong caramel and treacle note dominating over the coffee and chocolate notes. A respectably bitter finish that doesn't really compliment the roasted grain notes. While the first half of the glass is rather chocolately and creamy the second half is sweet and pruney.

Mouthfeel is good but not outstanding - creamy on the tongue but the hops leave a bitter instead of dry aftertaste. True to the style there's a bit of an oily residue left on the palate. A bit much alcohol burn but what can you do with 9.5%?

Overall good, tasty, enjoyable... A good pairing with a heavier meal or a creamy desert.

[thanks to Zorro for this brew - I love Ralph Steadman's artwork!]

RedwoodGeorge, Nov 10, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on-tap at Barcade.

Awesome aroma! Pine, citrus, classic American. Really fresh.

Appearance of a (not quite) opaque rich Porter. Slight beige khaki style just got some new chinos from the Gap type head. 1.5" of foam that left a light lingering.

Taste of roasted nuttiness, caramel, and a rich toffee. Blast emerges to a dark slight charcoal flavor. REALLY distinct ester profile. Is this because the alcohol percent is higher, or is it an entire different yeast strain altogether?

Medium to full mouthfeel. Not exactly silky, more of a velvety feel.

All in all, probably the best Flying Dog beer I've had to date.

Sixpoint, Nov 09, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -2%

A- deep black with a giant tan head. retention is awsome and it laces down the entire glass.

S- roasted malt, chocolate, toffee...and something else i cant put my finger on.

T- burnt coffee, mollassas, smoke, malt, strong earthy flavor

M- thick body with no carbonation. one of the most silky smooth beers ive had.

D- although this is a pretty big, robust flavored beer..for what it is its quite drinkable.

overall- finally found a place that would sell this in singles so i picked one up. i was half expecting this to taste like a stout but it really does keep true to a porter in flavor. there is a weird smell and flavor that im detecting, but cant figure out what it is. it is a nice beer though and worth seeking out, especially if you are a fan of porters.

Gritsak, Nov 03, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours jet-brown (i.e. a really dark brown) in color with a very puffy caramel brown head and a somewhat hoppy dark chocolate alcohol smell. Pronounced citrus hop flavors balanced with chocolate-coffee vanilla creaminess and burned cocoa beans. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with a great tangy bitter coffee aftertaste. This is the best Flying Dog beer I've tasted by a long margin. Quite drinkable but the alcohol and bitterness will limit you to a couple. "Limited Run" my ass, they need to consider making this one year round, or at least maybe an annual brew. If not, then someone should toss the radio into their bathtub.

PopeJonPaul, Nov 03, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Always being a fan of the late H.S. Thompson, I was eager to get right into this beer, seeing if it did the founder of “gonzo” journalism justice. The beer poured thick and dark, almost completely opaque with a medium head, smelling of toffee and smoky roast. I had never smelled such a smoky aroma.
The taste was very strong, bitter with hoppiness and roasted malt, lots of alcohol and an even more present smoky taste, which I have to admit I wasn’t impressed with. Let me rephrase that; I personally don’t enjoy that kind of taste, but what I was impressed with was how the beer somehow did do justice to Thompson. It tasted bitter and burnt, smoky and almost dirty if that makes sense. Lots of flavor, lots going on. In that respect, I have to give Flying Dog props on how they crafted this one in his memory.
But, back to the beer itself. Mouthfeel was smoother than the flavor let on, but it wasn’t as drinkable as I had hoped. I have to mention that this could easily be mistaken for an Imperial Stout. Give it a try but beware some harsh yet exciting flavors.

sinistrsam, Nov 02, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance - This beer looks like chocolate malt when poured. This beer retains it head and is slow to disappear. Another thing I observed is that the sheer thickness of this beer. You cannot see through this thing even when held up to the light. This beer is very pleasing to the eye.

Smell: Strong toffee/Chocolate notes here. This beer does have a strong alcohol smell almost overwhelming.

Taste: Very bitter. So much so I was taken aback on my first sip. . You can really taste the alcohol in this beer and it kind of overwhelms the palate. Sweet chocolate malts.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness that goes down a bit hard.

Drinkabilty: I could drink one of these before having to move to something else.

maddamish, Oct 29, 2005

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter:

Black as pitch with a creamy brown head that took a bit of work to muster up…no matter. Diving in I find a burnt-coffee-bitter chocolate quality, with each trying to gain an upper hand rather than providing a seamless well integrated whole. Slightly acidic in nose and taste, and pretty damn drinkable…kind of grows on ya after a while. Long roasted finish, and definitely best enjoyed at cellar temperature.

Cheers...

markman, Oct 28, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

One of my favorite beers inside and out. I was planning on drinking this beer when it came out just being a Hunter S. fan. I’m glad to see they followed through with a beer he may of liked. (even though he was into hard stuff) Very thick lace on the pour. Makes me wish I had it on tap. It has a dark cola look to it. I don’t know if I would call it black. Great coffee and tar taste to it. A small note of hops and just a little punch of alcohol. Nose was great as well. Very crisp earthy smell to it. This is one of my favorite styles and they follow through nicely. Very good beer.

RoBotGod, Oct 26, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Deep, deep brown color-on the border of being black. No real noticeable head. Good,mellow and smooth roasted aroma. Big bold porter flavor. Nice blend of chocolate and roasted flavors. Silky smooth flavor-really has some great chocolate notes to it. Touch of raisony and caramel like flavors. Great body-again with the smoothness. An exceptionally enjoyable beer. A great tribute to Hunter S. Thompson and in my opinion the best Flying Dog beer going.

lackenhauser, Oct 26, 2005
3.95/5  rDev -2%

First pour off a brand new keg. Yeah!
Opaque black. Thick, sand colored head, which drops out rapidly. Holds a thin collar throughout. Smells of coffee and cocoa beans, with a noticable american hop presence. Creamy and lightly fruity. Plum and apple. Some alcohol is present. Very smooth sipping. Big body, with a velvety mouthfeel. Chocolate and coffee everywhere. Espresso. Caramel sweetness, slight plum fruitiness. Fluffy carbonation. Piney, woody hops in the finish, dryish, with a soft kiss of alcohol. If i had to summarize the flavor in a sentence, it's like a fancy chocolate chip cookie, the kind with the big chunks of baker's chocolate and crushed walnuts. Very nice. Not as complex, at least on tap, as it should be for 9%, but still a good beer. I had a four pack in the fridge for comparison, but my girlfriend drank them all. Ha.

UnionMade, Oct 25, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

courtesy of bditty187.

Pours black with dark brown around the edges, and has a thin dark tan head that fades slowly and leaves a small ring that never fades away. There's quite a bit of lacing.

Smells; roasted coffee, dark chocolate, plum/raisin and a litlle hops. This smells great.

Taste; the hops hit first, followed by the roasted coffee and chocolate, finishing with a dark fruit sweetness. It has a creamy, medium to full body, and I couldn't taste or smell any alcohol. I knew this was going to be pretty good, but I was still impressed. More please!

RedHaze, Oct 25, 2005