Wild Dog Weizenbock - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

Weizenbock |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-23-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 88 | Reviews: 79
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Procured from NBD in Manhattan a year ago, making this bottle 2 years old.
I'm curious about how it has aged, so we're about to find out. Cork was not budging, it was finally extracted by twisting it a few times with a rubber glove.

Pours in to a Moinette chalice a rusty reddish brown, with 1/4 inch of foam. Big bubbles in the middle, it reduces itself to a skim in a few minutes.

Initial aroma of raisin, molasses, a little gingerbread and clove. Slightly dusty, it reminds me of Corsendonk Abbey a little. Sweetness carries through in the taste, but is rounded out by an earthiness and slight woody bitterness in the finish. Raisin, caramel, aged hops that have faded a bit, it all comes together smoothly, but encourages slow sipping. It really starts feeling like a Dubbel without the extra yeast and full body of typical Weizenbocks. Carbonation is still present, thanks to the stubborn cork. I preferred the bottle I had over a year ago, but this has held up pretty well.

Overall, it was a nice brown ale, well suited to a cool autumn evening.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured rich mahogany but with little head. I slow poured at around 38 degrees. It has a very tawny taste, rich, sweet, rich, thick, rich... Banana and molasis? Mouthfeel is a bit flat. finish is buttery, leaving a bit of a sweet burbon aftertaste. quite drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Poured a transparent, deep ruby hue with highlights of auburn in when held to light. A moderate pour yielded a little over three fingers of head in a weizen glass, but I actually had expected more.

S: Big caramel malt aroma, sweet and inviting, which was entwined with a phenolic banana-like wheat scent. Having been craving a weizenbock lately, this entices me further with its spicy smell of cloves.

T: Almost immediately I noticed a bolder hop character than I had expected. Just after the wheat is noticed on the tongue, a fairly strong bitterness seems to overpower it. Spice is noticeable here as well. Only as the finish subsides do I notice the wheat more up front again, as the hop residue leaves its mark and trails down the throat.

M: Carbonation seems agreeable, with not too much or too little that would throw off the texture of the beer. Still, an interesting bubbly composition that hits toward the finish, not like other weizenbocks I've had.

D: I'd say it's above average, but perhaps not the pinnacle of its style. For some reason, I can't get past that hop profile, as it seems to stand out too much rather than blend in with the other flavors. Fairly drinkable, but not as much as others of its ilk.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer pours a deep ruddy red color with jewel-like accents in the glass when held up to the light. The head is light brown and very clingy in the inner rim of the glass. Sheets of Belgian lace cascade down from the rim, ending in a tall head that dissipates fairly quickly. A massive amount of yeast made it into the pour, leaving a dense field of suspended yeast in the liquid. The nose is a surprise. I like surprises. In addition to the expected notes of banana and spice, given this is a "weizen," the much more dominant aromas are decidedly fruity and even tart. In some ways similar to a Belgian dubbel, believe it or not. The palate is a head-scratcher too. Initially you get the sweet roasted malts, but you also get a serious dose of dark fruits and even astringent citrus. Very odd, really, and very complex. This citrus aspect gives a bit of a tartness to the flavor as well, almost as if some brettanomyces found it's way into the fermenter. Nothing approaching a wild ale, or oud bruin, in intensity, but still ... there is just a twinge there. After I get past this, I notice some warmer flavors of honey and even a bit of a nutty character hidden in this beer. This is really as complex a weizenbock as I've come across. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would have thought, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing from a drinkability standpoint. This, and the astringency, keep the beer from coming off as cloying as son=me bock style beers often can. The alcohol content is well hidden in this beer, and the carbonation subdued. If you're expecting a Aventinus clone, this isn't the beer for you. This one is a creature all it's own and I'm hard-pressed to figure it out. The complexity of flavors borders on being out of control, but somehow manages to keep itself relatively cohesive. By far, the best Flying Dog brew that I've sampled. I'd like to cellar this one for a year or two more and see what happens to the borderline disjointed complexity. Don't get me wrong, I really like this beer. It is a challenge to my assumptions and that's a good thing. This one is "retired," so you're not likely to find it, but if you do ... you won't regret it.

4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

Presentation: 750 corked and caged, hangtag. No date info, but I believe this was only brewed once.

Appearance: Gentle pop as the cork is pulled. Dark reddish brown, head fades almost immediately. No lacing.

Smell: Spicey yeast - some banana and a bit of cloves, along with a bit of wheat.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma - tastes like a nice combination of a wheat beer and a bock - nice yeasty notes, with some good malt backbone.

Overall impression: Very nice - I would love to see this in 6 or 4 packs (like the Wild Dog Double Pale).

4.58/5  rDev +19%

Excellent! It pours a gorgeous reddish-brown, deep and clear, very inviting. Aroma is strong and malty with overtones of brown sugar or molasses, possible chocolate hint. Taste is superb - malty with some hop bitterness, a whisper of sweetness, molasses tones. Smooth but with quite a bite, it is to be sipped and savored. I am glad that I managed to catch this special release.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Rich amber color with murky body. While pouring a frothy head built up pretty quickly but after a minute or so settled down to a thin lacy coating. By all standards as it rests in my chalice getting some air after being in the bottle so long I'm really looking foreward to this one.

S: The aroma took a little time to get going but standing for a couple minutes and warming up in the air did the trick. Sweet apple and yeast come wafting out. I can tell there will be a bit of maltiness in this one.

Taste: Malt and bitter are the first tastes. A subtle sweetness is there as well that goes well with the sour tastes.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation still lingers and the sugars stick to my lips. Goes down pretty well if you are in the mood for something sharp.

Drinkability: Like I already said if you are in the mood for malt sourness this is a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours a clear deep copper with a thin tan head.

S - Sour funk and a touch of barnyard. Not sure if it is intended but it plays well with other aromas. Sweet fruits, esters and a hint of banana and clove.

T - Tart, spiced fruit, a lot of esters, green apple, complex.

M - Medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation.

D - Nice unique take on style. The alcohol is well hidden.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

750ml bottle pours chestnut with effervescence & 1 finger of sand collored head. Slight lacing & head retention

S: Bubblegum, bandaids & some fruittyness

T: Bubblegum & fruittyness up front. Some apricot flavor along with a hint of chocolate. Finishes fruitty, warming, & quenching with hints of cinamon

MF: Medium bodied with some spirtzyness

Drank pretty easy for tha ABV. Not a bad take on the style. Looks like this one has improved with age

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving: Poured from bottle into a 13oz Flute glass

Appearance: Pours a dark amber with little to no head.

Smell: Malty, with hints of fruit (banana perhaps) and a faint smell of hops.

Taste: The taste of malt comes in strong with a moderate amount of hop bitterness. Also has, what I believe to be, a mild smoked taste.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin in the mouth but a good amount of carbonation compensates for this.

Drinkability: Very good and satisfying, If you're looking for a great Weizenbock then I highly recommend it.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Dark coppery orange that becomes bright coppery orange with beautiful candy apple red highlights when the glass is held up to the slanting rays of the setting sun. There's a healthy amount of suspended yeast as well, which should add to the flavor intensity. I love the look of the head too. It's orange-tinted golden brown sugar in color and looks tremendously sticky. Shotgun-shredded sheets of lace will probably have to be washed away with scalding water. Easy call here.

What's this? Barnyard funk in an American-brewed weizenbock? From the 'banana and clove' comment on the little cardboard tag, I was expecting the brewers to have used a hefe weizen yeast. I guess it's still possible, although those aromas are faint at best. For the most part, the beer smells like tangy fruit and... wait just a second... it now smells more like medicinal phenols than Belgian funk. Perhaps the flavor will sort things out.

Wild Dog Weizenbock tastes almost exactly like it smells. I'm still trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a very good thing. No worries, I still have about 23 ounces to go. One thing I can say is that this ale tastes like it was brewed in Belgium rather than Colorado, USA. I have to believe that Flying Dog purchased their yeast strain there rather than in Deutschland.

The dominant member of the flavor profile is tart, spiced, orchard fruit, along the lines of not quite ripe apples, pears and apricots. I suppose it's possible (given the 'everything but the kitchen sink' esteriness of the yeast) that no additional spices were utilized. Still though, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that some where. This is a pretty complex beer... that I still haven't made up my mind about.

Although the Band-Aid phenols aren't as rampant as they are in some other offerings, they're prominent enough to turn off the uninitiated. I happen to like them and feel that they add rather than detract in this particular beer. If speed of consumption is any sort of guide to drinkability, this one scores pretty high. I keep going back time and time again to try to figure this sucker out.

Alcohol is nowhere, and I mean nowhere, to be found on the palate; which is another reason why I'm gulping rather than sipping. Time to slow down so that my fingers are still able to type my impressions. The mouthfeel is midway between medium and full with a pleasing, slippery silkiness on the back end. I like the semi-boisterous amount of carbonation as well.

Wild Dog Weizenbock is the best Flying Dog beer that I've ever had (I missed the Wild Dog DIPA). It's close to greatness, but it lacks that certain something that would make me love it. That said, it's definitely worth a purchase if you can still find a bottle. I'd like to see the Wild Dog Series released on a regular basis, especially since this brewery's regular lineup too often barks up the wrong tree.

4.73/5  rDev +22.9%

The wild dog is 750 ml and corked; served at near-room temperature, as I don't pay attention to that temperature stuff when serving my beer. Hazy, calm bubbly light brown with a foamy sizzling tan head. The head maintains the course, and spider web lacing dominates the glass. A clear and enjoyable nose--spices and hints of alcohol are noted immediately, and warming reveals some banana bread and zesty wheats, with undertones of cloves and caramel malts. The body is bordering on full, the flavors are rushing slick--they coat your palate, and then move down to present a decent warming affect. The flavorings are very nice--a decent blast of dark wheat malts, pepper and a lingering effect of light oak. Medium carbonation which detracts, but only a bit. Some yeast, brandy and raisins that are combined nicely. The finishing swirls will produce some caramel and yeast, with a slick and refreshed palate. This stuff is pure liquid gold; if you can still find it, you won't be disappointed. Served as a toast for my best friend, Buster, who passed today; a friend who loved good beer in his prime! Salud!

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

I was really excited to get a hold of this for two reasons. #1, it's the only beer from Flying Dog that I hadn't tasted, and #2, their last Wild Dog release, the double IPA, was really good. Fortunately, this one has lived up to that expectation. Oh, and I also got it on sale for $9!!!

750 ml, corked & caged. Nice label. Nice hang tag. It opened with only a minor "pop", although that was straight out of the fridge and it was a little bit colder than it would normally be.

I carefully poured it into a large weizen glass and found that the head was quite easy to control. The yeast, however, needed to be roused. When all was said and done, a cloudy, dark mahogany and caramel body rested gently beneath a tall, creamy head of khaki-colored foam. The head retention was very good, even very, very good considering that it's a weizenbock; and it slowly dropped to a short but solid surface covering. As I progressed through the glass it would diminsh a bit, but with each sip the stir of moving the glass roused the carbonation and it brought the head back up again. Some very nice rings of lace were left at the outset, one for each sip, and it then produced wide, craggy swaths of lace. Pretty nice appearance overall.

The nose stood out. In many cases, the nose of a weizenbock is not quite as rich as the flavor behind it, but that didn't happen here. It's spicy, malty, caramelish, and fruity with notes of black pepper, green pepper seeds, clove, wheat, caramel, banana and some soft melon.

The mouthfeel is full and smooth, with a very fine, median carbonation. I was expecting a little more zest based on most of the other examples of the style, but this suited me just fine. Standard weizens are normally quite effervescent, but the bocks are more restrained, and this seemed a touch softer than that. Very nice. It allows more of the maltiness to come through, and the smoother, softer mouthfeel lends to drinkability.

The flavor starts with a combination of fruit and peppery spice. There's initially some darker red/black fruit (plum, perhaps sweet cherry, ...grape even) that I didn't find in the aroma, and then the spice kicks in with black pepper, clove, coriander, and even some green pepper. As it warms in the mouth more fruit arises with banana and melon, and maybe even some low-level papaya. At the same time the maltiness has hit it's peak and your mouth is almost completely awash in caramel and wheat. It's rich and full, but not overwhelming as a thread of alcohol and some underlying leafy, floral, and spicy hop flavor and bitterness cuts through. It finishes dry with a flicker of yeasty pepperiness, a spritz of alcohol, and a smear of lingering bitterness and leafy hop flavor. Quite impressive... a little too much malt, a slightly high or low fermentation temperature, a bit too much residual yeast, a finger's nudge too much alcohol, or a bump of extra bitterness can throw a beer like this out of balance, but there's none of that here - well-balanced, clean, superbly brewed.

Highly recommended! Get it while you can! One of the best weizenbocks I've ever tasted. In fact, considering the intensity of the flavor and balance, it's basically a weizen doppelbock. I'd put it right up there with Aventinus! Whoever brewed this really knows what they're doing!!!

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a deep mahagony, merlot, amber mix. Hard too see, but there is some carbonation in there. A good two finger that quickly receded to a small foam. The aroma is of green apples, tart bananas, vinegar, and stale cloves. Interesting. The flavor is tart for any kind of bock. Not a lot of warm, dark fruity flavors. More apples both green and red. Some hints of wheat and graniness. An odd vinuous flavor for a weizen bock. Spicey and mildly tart palate. But I liked the interesting flavor of this weizen bock. I wish I could of had a fresher one.

Had to wrestle the damn cork out of this one. Pours a deep amber color with a nice head. First scent was winey- don't know how else to put it, but it just had a smell i couldn't pinpoint, but reminded me of wine. Not a bad thing - unexpected and enjoyable. Flavor is somewhat sweet and definitely carries a note of Belgian yeast, i picked up very faint port notes - could be a little fuller in body, tho. Easily drinkable and enjoyable. I haven't had many of this style from American brewers, and this is a pretty good offering, tho I'd be reluctant to hit it again at the price ($11+ per 750).

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

A dark ruby haze for body color and a whimsy small capping of fluffy sunburned paper white foam. Retention of foam is low as it glides away to the slim collar quickly and laces the glass lightly with a few short strings.

Aroma is plump and ripe, I can smell it as its poured. Quite grapey with a purple jelly ripeness mixing with a light banana, some decent wheat grain sweetness, and a partial spiceyness of clove and vanilla to top it off. Very nosey and nice to whiff.

Taste is OK at first, it tends to grow a favorable wheaty base with a slight grapey, super green banana grab of flavor as it goes. Mind you, its not overbearing; quite even-handed. This grew on me as I went along as the smooth wheaty malt base kinda adds little returns of interest each new sip. The darker, riper, fruitier nudge to its character throws it a bit one way, as its jelly, sugar juice-like front and middle mellows enough and closes in on a balanced wheatyness and from there evens out as it turns toward the finish. A very subtle, but present turn towards, what I felt as, a more interesting comlex flavor profile, in the finish with a bunch of ripe fruit and slight spice of vanilla and wheaty, floating sweetness thats boardering a uniquely placed tartness of purple grape jelly and green banana with a slice of plum.

Feel is a bit undertoned for a Weizenbock as its smoothness in wheatyness is quite nice but somehow misses out on the thicker notions of a bigger malt tone. A few empty, not quite watery, but getting there, areas, tend to stand out in the body, taking away from the wheatyness that could be more present and lasting.

A decent enough Weizenbock. Pretty drinkable, easy going and smooth with a fairly prominent wheatyness thats easy to embrace. Could be better, could be worse, and a good enough effort on a hard style to brew by the folks at Flying Dog.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Deep redish brown body with a thick tan head with slow fading bubbles. Very attractive overall. Very zesty, spicey nose with hints of richness and underlineing floral notes. Rich soft maltiness with bold spicey wheat notes that are not to raw. Belgium barleywine style is well represented here. Oh so slightly lacking the boldness I was hoping for though. May age well. Mouthfeel leaves a slightly soured tingle on the buds. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured a cloudy caramel color with a two finger head. Aroma of banana and cloves. Tastes much like a Belgian dubbel. Sediment at the bottom may be yeast, not quite sure. I hope it is ok to drink. Very smooth mouthfeel and excellent drinkability for 8+% ABV. An excellent beer for dessert. Excellent way to celebrate completing my MBA.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a wire-caged corked 750ml green glass bottle into a weizen-style glass. Appearance is an opaque rust-hued toffee brown. Full fizzy finger of khaki tan dissipated to a faint whitish ring of lacing over a few minute's time. Smell is of banana, spices, musty wheat and grains, cloves, earthy undertones. Taste is sweet and malty, wheat and spice, slight burning tinge of alcohol also present, comes and goes by the swallow. Lightly drying tart aftertaste lingers after the beer washes off the tongue. Mouthfeel is moderate body with low carbonation, silken smoothness.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

bottle courtesy of expatsteve and shared along with him, dirtylou and blackie over an impromptu bock tasting.

Pour: hues range from amber through garnet/mahogany with a yeasty suspension under a finger of foamy white head that fades to a skim.

Nose: lightly smoked jerky, raisins and dates, and sour, dusty wheat.

Taste: raisins and roasted malt, dark fruit booze, smoked jerky, and sour wheat malts.

Feel: medium body with velvety carbonation.

Drinkability/Overall: smooth, balanced, well-meshed. Great drinkabilty for the style and strength. It's no Aventinus, but a solid specialty from a brewery who is hit and miss in my limited experience with them.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Enjoyed this with Golden2wenty1, dirtylou and blackie to kick off an informal doppelbock

session.

Appearance: Cloudy ruby chocolate with orange hues. Pours a 1/4 inch head that leaves a few suds islands on the surface of the beer. Low/medium viscosity.

Aroma: Good solid weizenbock nose--banana esters front an amazing yeast aroma, with smoky molasses, chocolate and raisins in the mix. Nice, sweet bock flourishes.

Taste: Chocolate, toffee and raisins, with little grassy finish from the wheat. Hints of banana, orange, and wheat funk emerge as the beer warms, but it retains the sweetness expected of a bock. Hints of brandy and a little champagne attest to the quality of the masking.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, just a little dryness from the wheat. Light withouth being watery, with low carbonation. Perfect for the style and the flavors that develop.

Drinkability: I didn't expect as much as I got from this beer--it's no Aventinus, but then again few beers will be. Nonetheless, the Flying Dog brewers get the style and craft a solid beer within it. A little expensive (you could get three Aventinus for the price of one of these), but otherwise worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

appearance: The pour creates a fluffy, khaki colored head with nice retention. The beer is a slightly hazy medium brown in color.

smell: The crisp wheat malt flavors are easily found, backed up by a barley sweetness. There is a touch of citrus and some light yeast character. Light, papery hops and a small spike of ethanol round things out.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is around the lower end of the high range, and smooth. The body is a thicker medium.

taste: The flavor is moderately sweet with considerable notes of lightly toasted wheat and somewhat subdued barley malts. There is a touch of yeast character in the slightly dry finish.

drinkability: pretty easy, and the alcohol is well hidden

750ml bottle first in line at the doppelbock tasting during my stay in Madison with dirtylou, expatsteve, and golden2wenty1

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml bottled, sampled with blackie and golden2wenty1 courtesy of expatsteve

appearance: poured into a 2006 great taste samplig glass a rich dark amber mahogany, light beige head, nice full body...

smell: sweet malty aromas, apple, caramel, light honey, plum, light spice

taste: pretty nice bock...light wheat flavour, booze pretty well hidden for 8.6%, toasted malt, sweet fruity flavours, apple, caramel, light nutty character

mouthfeel: rather smooth, medium body

drinkability: pretty good

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Russet copper brown with a intermediate gray-yellow foam.
Grain-heavy aroma, sprinkled with hefe underlings of clove, banana, and vanilla.
Enters full of honey roasted nuts, then fattens to the broader fruitiness of fig cookies, prunes, and carob. Yeast nuance brings a heavy vanilla influence with scrapings of clove, and glints of banana bread, as it closes with a black peppercorn spiciness.
Thickened, but spritely of carbonation. Well structured, and easily consumed. This is nice, but spendy.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

750ml green bottle, no date information.

The cork released with no sound whatsoever which had me concerned at first. Clouded caramel. Short, persistent head of fine, bone white bubbles that left a few splotches of lacing. The heavy sediment obscured any carbonation streams that may have been present. The smell is thick with caramel maltiness along with some glazed bananas and alcohol soaked cloves. The alcohol is prominently displayed before the banana dipped cloves come forward. Sweet and filled with plenty of warming alcohol, the finish is clove rich and warm. Medium to full body with modest carbonation and a warm, smooth mouthfeel. This was enjoyable.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Wild Dog Weizenbock from Flying Dog Brewery