2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Horn Dog Barley Wine Style AleHorn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

English Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,135 | Reviews: 801 | Show All Ratings:
mistaya

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Original Flying Dog Barley Wine, brewed and bottled by Broadway Brewing, circa 1998, and brewed between it's kin, Roundhouse and Horn Dog. Shared on a nice evening in North Dakota. Label said to 'enjoy over the next 5 years' -- 14 years was worth the wait. Poured the color of maple syrup with a thin cover of small bubbles that grew when swirled in an old Flying Dog pint glass. Very smooth and mellow, fruit like flavor, almost like a port, with a mild vanilla aftertaste. Slight alcohol smell and taste, though the 10-11% would sneak up on you. No smell of hops -- the malts and oats came through strongly with slight taste of Kent Goldings and other English hops (?) -- a fantastic example of an aged barley wine. Got better as it warmed up. Should have won a GABF medal back then -- it certainly would now. Have to taste another bottle with a bottle of the older Roundhouse.

Happy birthday Rachmaninoff, you would have enjoyed this.

04-01-2012 04:00:24 | More by mistaya
RichT73

4.85/5  rDev +26%

I thoroughly enjoyed this Flying Dog offering. From the first pour, I knew I would love it. The color was almost caramel, and the head sat perfectly atop the beer until the first sip. I first tried this from just a seven-ounce bottle, and when it was over I wish I had a 22-ouncer. Typically, I'm a big hop-head and love IPAs and DIPAs, but I would certainly recommend this to anyone.

01-22-2009 02:23:40 | More by RichT73
hippityhops85

4.85/5  rDev +26%

This beer absolutely blew me away. A huge achievement for Flying Dog as most everything else I've had from them has been mediocre at best.

--taken from notes--

Presentation is a 7 oz bottle with 2007 vintage printed somewhere on the label. Loving the artwork as usual.

Sidebar: I love "big" beers in smaller bottles. 8oz is the perfect serving size for a "big" beer.

Poured into a snifter. Deep, dark colors. Darker than most barley wines I have had in the past. Beautiful creamy head which surprised me with 10.5% abv. Really a beautiful beer.

Nose gives off some great dark malt characteristics along with dried plum and fig characteristics. Ecstatic to taste this.

The taste really holds up to the nose. Wonderful dance of deep malts, licorice and dried, dark fruits and with a hoppy bite that one needs in a good barley wine. The alcohol is apparent but not abrasive, in fact enjoyable.

This beer is HUGE. I'd throw it up against some creamy goat cheese and see how it holds up. Absolutely fantastic and my hat's off the the guys at Flying Dog.

01-08-2011 15:54:20 | More by hippityhops85
janubio

Spain

4.85/5  rDev +26%

Extraordinary beer. Red-copper colour, with a small head that dissipates soon, leaving just a ring. Earthy smell, with some spice that I can't identify right now, raisins,caramel, licorice, chocolate, brandy. Heavy palate, it will dry your tongue, but leaving a sweet taste of caramel, marzipan, licorice, spices, dark fruits, brandy...
Impressive great beer.

02-22-2011 22:02:15 | More by janubio
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

Beer Review #200 for me!

Deep intense monsterously good.

Another beery gift left behind by a houseguest at my home.

Warm malty alcoholic honey aroma

0Dark brown hazy brew with a tan head

Flavor is a mouthful. Dark toasty carmael. Dark wheat bread. Milk chocolate. Some spices, raisins, some hops.

lots of alcoholic warmth

rich velvety mouthfeel, very, very drinkable

11-02-2010 08:18:46 | More by jmbranum
RollBounce

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

Caramel, dates, malt, toast, buckwheat honey, liquid yeast, citrus, and sweet sherry, can be found on this long nose.

Front is rich, creamy, full, robust, with some citrus hops on the sides of my tongue. Plums and chocolate on the long balanced finish.

Overall; My mouth salivates every time i have this brew. Personal pick for best English style barleywine made in the U.S.A.. Balanced with great length. Looking forward to tasting after aging a few years. (vintage 2011)

03-17-2014 22:09:50 | More by RollBounce
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

I'm rating this higher than everyone else but this is just freaking terrific in every aspect.

Pours much darker than any barleywine I've ever had and I like it. It's a dark walnut color and produces a beautiful creamy off white head that is fiercely persistent.

Dark roasted barley and malts, a hint of chocolate, something sweet (maybe licorice?) and something dark like figs or something...

Damn, this is the second brew tonight that I've given a 5 for taste but this is just delicious!.. I cant find a fault with the taste of this brew. It's everything I could ask for in a barleywine.... sweet, hoppy, malty, fruity... it's got it all..

This is a stupid brew... it's just ridiculous... I'll say it... it's my favorite barleywine... I like Bigfoot and Old Ruffian and the Old Knucklehead #12 but this is different and hell, it's just better.. a perfect brew...

06-22-2008 03:20:49 | More by Tilley4
Offa

4.78/5  rDev +24.2%

I find this to be a wonderfully complex, rich, interesting barleywine very reminiscent of a stronger, more pungent version of Young's Old Nick, long one of my all-time favourite beers, all-round.

It's very dark red-brown, practically black when the glass is full, with a small tan head that is dense and lasting, slowly shrinking to a permanent thin, wispy ring and it leaves some decent lace.

The aroma is complex and very nice, with rich fruit, hint of chocolate, fresh dark whole wheat or brown bread, stewed prunes and apples, and a hint of iron.

The taste is strong winey fruit, plums, raisins, with a strong toasted bread quality, a little dry chocolate - mostly plain cocoa without the bitterness - a woody-earthy quality, hint of gingerbread. It morphs from a richyl fruity, sweet, alcoholic quality up front to a drier, more toasty-cocoa quality in the finish, along with hint of burnt fruit.. The alcohol is quite evident and adds warm pungency, but it's mostly smooth and tasty. The stength brings down the drinkability a bit , but not much. It is zesty and lively, always engaging, and the flavours get even beter, yet smoother, as it warms. It is surprisingly drinkable, esp. as it warms, and at first sip I didn''t hink it was going to be as easy to drink as it ended up being.

10-14-2008 22:31:01 | More by Offa
viperpiper522

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

Had this one on hand-pull at the brewery.

A- Murky Brown with an off white head. a little lacing and little carb.

S- Toffee, Stone Fruit, Fruitcake, and malty sweetness.

T- Extrodinary stonefruits, with some sherry like notes. Very Malty with a little hops to balance.

M- Creamy and smooth with no signs of alcohol.

D- Dangerously quaffable.

Serving type: cask

11-21-2007 06:33:39 | More by viperpiper522
Bighuge

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle says "Vintage 2001A"

This beer is a murky dark, dark shade of ruby. A little swirl of a head is gone in a second. Very nice sweet malt and hops blend on the nose. There seems to be a little spice as well. This is a really nice tasting barleywine. I am surprised as few of the other Flying Dog brews have knocked my socks off (although they have been decent). The alcohol is only present in a minimal fashion. There are subdued notes of cherry and dark fruits. There is a nice bitterness, but not over the top as the Bigfoot is. There's some nice caramel and vanilla tones. It's not syrupy at all as some other barleywines are. I also get some prunes and currants on the buds. Very nice tasting barleywine.

06-12-2002 22:00:15 | More by Bighuge
Murph

Arizona

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark garnet almost brown with a huge, rocky, creamy tan head that last but somehow doesn't leave any lace. The aroma has huge caramel malt aromas as well as some chocolate, dark fruits and some slight alcohol notes. The brew starts off with some intense caramel sweetness that turns into a creamy chocolate flavor for a short time before going into a raisiny/prune flavor. Their is also some slight fruity tartness in the taste and the brew finishes with lingering sweetness and some slight alcohol that warms you throughout. The brew is very creamy and has some somewhat chewy qualities to it as well which make it very drinkable and leaves the mouth wanting more after each sip. I have previously been unimpressed by this brewery but I definitely like this brew quite a bit.

08-12-2002 11:59:56 | More by Murph
chrismg

Poured into a Snifter.

My first review, here goes it! Pours a rich copper color. I get a good bit of maltiness in the smell but it's not overwhelming. The taste is a good amount of fruit and some alcohol. This brew has a very rich yet complex taste that takes a few minutes to really wrap my head around. The mouth feel isn't as heavy as I was expecting. The Horn Dog is dangerously drinkable. I will definitely buy it again!

10-12-2010 00:25:20 | More by chrismg
HopsHops

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%

I am not much of a reviewer but this one is just great...

A - I poured a shot for a friend who isnt much of a beer drinker and it was lightly carbonated and very dark ..and i suppose there wasnt much lacing ....i guess that doesnt necessarily have to determine anything...

S - VERY NICE ..i really like the sweet aroma this beer gives off...
just plain good

T - Wow.. totally sweet with such a low carbonation and i didnt think i was going to like it but after my first sip i know ill be back for more of this one

M F - I really like it..goes down so easy and isnt as heavy as i had expected... exquisite

D - Ok fellers lets be honest here... this IS a barleywine which in all forms and brands tends to be pretty damn strong so i am not going to say id drink these all night but i have sure had no trouble taking down 3 of them tonight.... i totally like this beer i think all beer lovers should try it once. i will definitely be getting it again as soon as i see it..try it with foods... i had nachos with it and it went surprisingly well with that ...i love it love it love it

04-28-2006 03:38:22 | More by HopsHops
Mitchster

OG=26 P, 10.5% ABV.
Pours out to a semi-hazy dark brown, forming a small light-tan head with poor retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is mild to moderate and requires a hefty pour to coax a head out of this. Aroma is what you would expect for a barleywine...lots of hops, lots of sticky roasted malt, vanilla, cocoa, caramelized sugar. Mouthfeel is creamy and soft with a medium-dense body. Taste is better than expected...the aroma is overdone with hops, but they are nicely held in tow by the big malts. There is a nice milk chocolate thing going on in the aftertaste with some interesting notes of licorice and some pleasant lingering cookie-like sweetness with dark fruits. Very nice. The finish is smooth with a touch of bourbon and dates. Bitterness is minimal. Cleanly fermented with no off-flavors. Alcohol is imperceptable. I just love this aftertaste! Sippable or gulpable...you choose.

Not being a fan of their other brews, I give kudos to Flying Dog on this one. It rich, and smoother than most in the style. The balance is well-done and it's spot-on for the style. One of the best Barleywines I've had, believe it or not.

05-10-2004 01:49:16 | More by Mitchster
beerogre

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

When I bought this beer I felt as though I was taking a bit of a chance, that perhaps I was going to be disappointed. I think this was largely due to the fact that several Flying Dog beers are available here in the supermarkets (and since not much other craft beer is, I reasoned that it probably wasn't all that good). Nothing could be further from the truth. I love this beer.

Even though this looks like it could have been extracted from a pond, this murky brownish, reddish brew smells and tastes like sweet success. I love sweet beer, so this barleywine really does the trick for me. I can see that some would find it rather ghastly, such is the sugary presence.

I demolished this beer. It was so good. Since my remaining bottle is not chilling in the fridge tonight, there will be no Round 2 with this brew on this occasion. Probably just as well, for going a couple of rounds in the ring with this guy might leave me sat on my ass.

This beer has been one of several recent factors that made me realize that for now at least, my favourite style is English and not American Barleywines....I like those too though!...just marginally less.

11-20-2005 03:32:10 | More by beerogre
DmanGTR

Re-review Jan 24, 2009 of Vintage 07 D
A - poured a lovely garnet that let a lovely red hue show in the light with a creamy 3/4" off white head in a tulip. Lovely lacing throughout.

S - heavy date and ripe plum aroma, toffee, caramel, yeast and a hint of port as well. Very light alcohol in the nose.

T - Immediate sweetness of prunes and molasses, followed very shortly with a light bitterness of hops. This is then showered with an infusion of dark fruits and nutty yeast and ending with a warm, alcoholic finish that is reminiscent of a fine port.

M - Full bodied with mild carbonation as it should be. Extremely smooth and warming

D - Such drinkability! For such a big beer, it is quite drinkable. In fact, I must control myself to take small sips!

Overall - I'm glad I re-reviewed this, as my taste for and appreciation of English Barleywines have greatly improved. This is a lovely interpretation of the styles. I daresay one of the best US interpretations. Not cloying at all, the sweetness is quite enjoyable and I look forward to see what a few more years will do to this! Highly recommended.
4.5/4.5/4.5/5/5
___
Review May 19, 2008
A - poured maroon red/brown with 1/2" off-white head in my tulip chalice. Light lacing

S - tangy fruits: dates, figs, raisins, and lightly citrusy. Mild yeastiness and nuttiness. Touch of hops and quite malty as well

T - malty sweet mixed with sweet tanginess of fruits. Reminded me of a wine. Sweetly acidic finish. Can detect caramel, toffee, and cherries with an alcoholic finish. Very complex

M - medium/light bodied with light carbonation. Malty but not sticky

D - an excellent beer but it is definitely a sipper

Overall - This is not a beer for the WEAK but it just may be the beer of the WEEK! Excellent taste, very rich and satisfying. This is a beer to be enjoyed gracefully. I bought this for around $3/bottle and it was quite worth it. After having it that night (and mind you, I got pretty tipsy after half a bottle because I didn't know its ABV), I went and bought another bottle the next day to keep. Do your tastebuds a favor and intensify them with this!
4/4.5/4.5/4/4

01-24-2009 06:04:00 | More by DmanGTR
Pencible

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%

This poured a hazy, muddy brown with almost no head. It smelled like molasses and caramel with barley malt. It tasted very complex with many layers of citrus hops, caramel malt, barley, raisin bread, bitter chocolate, and alcohol. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a brief surprisingly sweet aftertaste. Overall this was much better constructed than I anticipated, with intricate and delicate flavor that was still fairly easy to drink. Well done!

08-03-2008 21:34:05 | More by Pencible
humanawho

Bottle from 2007 tasted in 2009

A - nice deep red/brown color with a quickly fading off white head

S - strong candied dates some dark grape aroma, and a little earthyness

T - nice woody character lots of dark fruits, dates and figs, very sweet a little brown sugar

M - nice carbonation and fairly heavy body which fits it

D - extreamly good drinkablity

02-22-2009 00:25:14 | More by humanawho
1up

District of Columbia

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

13oz Brandy Snifter

A - Dark Brown with slight red highlights
S - Not overpowering. Bread, toffee, caramel, vanilla
T - Same as smell but stronger
M - Medium bodied, feels right for the style
O - Looking forward to aging this, the malts are already complex and excellent. One of my favorite English Barley Wines and way underrated.

03-06-2013 20:17:38 | More by 1up
Risser09

12 oz bottle poured into a mexican tulip - 2007 bottling - Fridge temp

Appearance: Pours a transparent dark brown with reddish orange highlights. The head is tan and extends to 2.5". Spotty lace, good retention.

Smell: Dark fruits of raisin, plum, cherry, fig. Caramelized sugar with some almonds tossed in. Heavily malted. Very good.

Taste: A creamy and buttery taste of snickers and roasted malts. Licorice and chocolate are big flavors that stand out well together. I love the sweet cocoa nib flavor that lasts throughout the experience. Cherry and plum are apparent as well.

Mouthfeel: Perfect sugar content and nice boozy flavor & warmth. Pretty good body that is chewy. Lingering cocoa and licorice.

Drinkability: This is an awesome barleywine. I love the chocolate mixed with licorice. One of the best barleywines I've ever had. I'm sure the barrel aged version is fantastic. Worth seeking out.

06-04-2008 11:22:58 | More by Risser09
ryrust5301

Louisiana

4.58/5  rDev +19%

Appearance - A very deep brown color with gold and red hues. Head was thin and almost slick looking, typical of a barleywine.

Smell - Huge sweet malt smell all the way to the bottom of this one. Carmel and some fruitiness give it almost a quad note.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Slick with virtually no carbonation. It just glides all the way through the mouth and down the throat. Lots of caramel and fruit to this one that gives it a deep sweetness with a robust flavor. Once again it reminds me of a boozy quad, and thats a good thing.

Drinkability - Definitely one of the sweeter, smoother barleywines i've ever had. Way more depth than I would have expected out of a flying dog brew. A diamond in the rough, and a total surprise.

08-14-2008 03:40:15 | More by ryrust5301
brewski09

4.58/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

VINTAGE 09LL 12 oz bottle poured into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter from my beer fridge (so about 50 degrees).

A - Clear deep brown, not quite 100% or brilliantly clear. A nice 2cm tan head that is thick and tight. It begins to recede almost immediately, but leaves a heavy lacing on the glass. This looks really nice so far.

S - I get a good amount of oxidation already from this beer, just pouring it. But it is around 4 years old, so that's to be expected. Smells like there may be a light barrel aging on this one under the Sherry oxidation tones. Dark fruits like plum and cherries (lightly sour/underripened) dance sweetly around with the other aromas. Maybe a little licorice? No tobacco, which would have completed this profile wonderfully. Pretty sure there are figs in this one too, but its been so long since I've had a good, ripe fig.

S (update) - The oxidation breaths off like a good wine and gets a lot lighter, balancing the profile with more cherry and fig. Let this one sit for a few minutes as you are drinking it.

T - Licorice and sherry with a bit of cherry like a deep red wine, then back to the licorice. This one just keeps alternating back and forth, refusing to be nailed down into one place. That dry cherry kicks in on the back end again as the mouth starts to clear a bit.

M - Thick and velvety. This one is a palate coater, so don't start with it in a tasting. It isn't overly sugary, and it isn't resiny or oily either. It is just there the way it is. Maybe a bit heavy on the sugars once the end of the glass is near, but still enjoyable. Sort of like a nice Belgian Quad.

O - This was my first time drinking the Horn Dog, so I have no fresh example to compare it too, but I would have to say this was a great beer. It has a little bit of everything, except noticeable hop characteristics. I don't know if they were there, or just faded over the last several years. I'll have to pick up a fresh one and try it next release. Much of the "spices" referenced in the brewery description have aged out.

07-26-2013 22:09:17 | More by brewski09
feloniousmonk

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

The paleolithic pooch who takes montstrous strides on the label, courtesy of gonzo cartoonist Ralph Steadman, gives a clue to the potential damage wrought by this gargantuan brew!
Color is a deep, dark burgundy, with no head to speak of, though one appears as I pour, it doesn't last for a second. Aroma is exactly what I look for in a barleywine, and then some! Profoundly heady and powerful, full of grape/wine associations, as well as plums, raisins, licorice, cognac, and port. Mouthfeel is full, rich, and intensely warm and rewarding. Sweet and spicy hoppiness abounds on the palate, along with a full dimension of maltiness. Wonderful chew in the texture, and hugely alcoholic! Drinkability? One a day, and slowly, savoringly, so I pull back a bit on points. Towards the end, it gets a bit syrupy, tasting almost like cough medicine. Is this Jagermeister in my mug, I wonder?
Among the top 5 American barleywines, but, frankly, we're a bit spoiled, they are so many top-notch versions. And the best acheivement from this brewery, so far!

02-08-2003 15:54:34 | More by feloniousmonk
ZAP

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Minimal hopping...very malty and sweet...very intersting sweet taste..warming effect, but doesn't taste of alcohol...sweeter beers don't get downgraded by me so this scores will...if you're looking for a heavily hopped and malty barley wine this is NOT it..I like it a lot but the sweetness could get to you...taste of brown sugar...grapes...smells of alcohol but doesn't taste of it...wouldn't want more than one or two of these but those one or two would be a good experience..

03-10-2002 17:06:59 | More by ZAP
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Aroma is rich and has hints of licorice, orange and chocolate; it lacks the alcohol nip that I have gotten from most barley wines. Color is a clear mahogany with a fairly thick and persistent yellowish-beige head. Flavor is mainly malty and has ribbons of burnt caramel, unsweetened chocolate and hops; alcohol bite is not very noticeable, which is a plus. Texture is very smooth, and aftertaste has equal amounts of sweetness and hoppy bitterness.

09-06-2008 18:52:41 | More by Cyberkedi