Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

English Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale Alström Bros
1.57/5  rDev -59.1%

Served this in a tulip at room temperature

Appearance: Abbey Dubbel like. Nice 2 finger head with some good lacing

Smell: When I took it out of the bottle it almost smelled like macaroni and cheese. Sniffed it and then got a MASSIVE raisin note. Brown sugar.

Taste; after 2 sips, I had to throw it out. This is one of the most cloyingly sweet beers I have ever tasted. Felt like just tasting pure brown sugar doused in alcohol.

Would not buy again. Unfortunate because Bigfoot was the best barley wine I have had to date.

1.8/5  rDev -53.1%

Tonight I'm losing my barleywine virginity with this bottle of Flying Dog Horn Dog. I'm not a huge fan of Flying Dog in the first place, but I'm reviewing this with an open mind since this is radically different from all their other brews.

Appearance - Deep, dark amber/brown.

Smell - Malty and alcoholic.

Taste - Good Gravy. This is way too sweet for my taste. It reminds me of raisin-flavored ny-quil. Cloyingly sweet with no bitterness to balance it out. I detect no hops. This brew has a high abv, but I certainly can't tell from the taste. I absolutely detest the flavor of this, but if you love sweet and raisiny, then this might be right up your alley.

Mouthfeel - Pretty Thick

Drinkability - Hell to the No. Mainly because of the taste, partially because of the alcohol level.

This crap was really bad. Very malty aroma, which was okay, poured to a brown with hints of red. However, the taste was a mixture of malt and rubbing alcohol, and it left a very bitter, bad aftertaste. The worst thing was, I had it as the third of 3 taste tests of Flying Dog, after a few beers on the golf course, and it still tasted this bad.

2.04/5  rDev -46.9%

Dark reddish color with no head. Only a thin tan color. Aroma of malt. Period. Taste is an old grainy taste. Very astringent, mild sweetness. Not a surprise considering my recent run ins with the rest of the litter. Alcohol is very apparent and distracting. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Drinkability is poor. I suffered through this one. One of my worst barleywines. Ack.

2.09/5  rDev -45.6%

Wow! I was not ready for this!

I had been wanting to try a barley wine for quite some time. I should have fought the urge. I assume this is a beer for the true aficionodo.

This was terrible. This may have been the worst thing I have ever had. No nuance, no complexity, just the smell and taste of grain alcohol. This beer tastes like someone dumped gasoline and Newcastle into a bottle. On the bright side, it is a beautiful beer in the glass. It is very syrupy as well.

I am not ready for beer this strong or complex as a beer drinker. I'll stick to Porters and IPA's and leave this stuff for the Bros.

2.16/5  rDev -43.8%

09 Bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours much darker than the usual with a medium head. Aroma is a little too dark and it smells like an aged stout. Weird.

The taste is too heavy on roast with no sweetness and only a hint of malts. WTF?! Feels like a stout for all I can tell. Mouthfeel is alright for a Barleywine OR a stout.

Not a bad beer but thoroughly disappointing for an English Barleywine. Did Flying Dog mess with me here and bottle a blend that was heavy on the stout?

4, 3, 1, 4, 2

2.18/5  rDev -43.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a copper-brown with lots of little floaties. It has a fine tan head that laces the glass. A very nice looking beer!

Alcohol dominates the aroma. There is also some dark fruits and cola. It smells kind of like a very strong rum and coke.

The flavor is some sweet dark fruit and subtle cola initially, followed by an overbearing strong sharp alcohol that masks a touch of hops. It is not well balanced at all. The mouthfeel is smooth, full and sticky.

Overall, way too much alcohol in the flavor and nose. I've had beers with more alcohol that masked it much better. It was more like drinking a mixed drink than a beer. Too bad I like beer, not mixed drinks. Maybe it will tone down with age.

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.31/5  rDev -39.8%

Ugh.

Pours an amber brown. Off white inch of foam.

Smells way boozy and overly raisin-ed. Basically, like pureed raisins mixed with alcohol.

Really a harsh, boozy, overly sweet flavor. Just way too sweet. Borderline undrinkable. I poured quite a bit out.

Mouthfeel was okay, but the overall effect was cloying.

Flying Dog: not my fave brewery.

2.33/5  rDev -39.3%

A - Aggressive pour to get a quarter inch head but quickly fades to splotches. Deep brown color, almost opaque.

S - Rich caramel smell very apparent alcohol.

T - Rich, caramel malt taste, also very bitter and more alcohol. Hints of prunes.

M - Fairly smooth but the alcohol presence almost burns.

D - The beers flavor doesn't suit my tastes very much. Also I think that for the style,Barleywines should be able to hide their alcohol presence better.

2.38/5  rDev -38%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Purchased as part of multi 4 pack from Flying Dog. Curious about taste - first barleywine testing I have had.

A: Mild amber color with medium head.

S: Fruity floral smell

T: Had a winey malty flavor

M: Crisp but the alcohol was relatively overpowering. This is not a beer I could drink more than one of in a night.

D: Not the most drinkable beer I have had. I have never had a barleywine before, and this was my first. Maybe my taste will mature in the years to come, but my tastebuds are not ready for a beer like this yet.

2.43/5  rDev -36.7%

Flying Dog’s version of a barleywine pours just like what you’d expect - a dark amber with very little foam head. The aromas are all there and create a big anticipation (especially if you love barleywines) but from the first touch of the taste buds this one is a major disappointment.

Much too bitter to even get into the ranks of even decent barleywines, Horn Dog does not go down smoothly, and the aftertaste is flat and almost to the point of irritating.

The description mentions flavors of chocolate and licorice are noticeable, but I could not sense any of this. I’d say pass on this one.

2.46/5  rDev -35.9%

bottled 2004 and purchased from the local liquor store at $7.99 a four pack.

Appearance- pretty damn dark, pours with a tiny tan head that doesn't maintain itself very well, leaving only a rim around the glass. A little bit of sediment floating around in the body upon close inspection, though it's hard to see due to it's murky body. Looks quite appealing.

Smell- Way sweet; the sweetness doesn't play well with the other nuances in it but rather dominates. In the far distance hints of cherries and other fruity characters can be picked up. Almost reminds me of bubblegum.

taste- Not exactly what i was hoping for. Initial hit of sweet sugar is far excessive, and also makes the alcohol presence that much more blatantly clear. These two characteristics take up so much of the palate that it's a struggle to find out what else is going on here. Some mild fruits, raisins, and a little caramel dance a little in the background. The huge malt backbone is still no match for the absolute unbalance of it's parts here, as any possible complexity is beaten to death by sugar and alcohol. No hops exist here as far as my mouth can tell.

mouthfeel- pretty thick and chewy, and quite sticky to boot. Still, that poorly masked alcohol doesn't sit too well in there.

drinkability- I wouldn't consider this by any means drinkable. High in alcohol (and you can TELL it is), with a taste that i don't find enjoyable by any means. Having one is more than enough for me, considering i've had less than that in one sitting (last time, i poured half the bottle down the drain).

This was the second time trying this brew, considering i bought i four pack, and the results this time were the same as last; definitely not to my liking. If this brew were to be aged for awhile to let the alcohol calm down and bring the malty characteristics forth, then it might very well be a decent drink. As it stands, i don't think i'll be finishing those other two bottles i have stashed away any time soon.

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Poured a deep amber with medium head. The head quickly disapated into a thin film that hung around.

S: Fruit smell maybe raisins.

T: Had a malty taste with an underlying taste of raisins. Also had some licorice after taste.

M: Was crisp but the alcohol was overpowering.

D: Low drinkability. First barley wine I had and not sure if I would have another.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Okbeer: Poured a deep brown color ale with a small foamy head with some retention and light lacing. Aroma of sugar is so pronounced that it gets quite gross and doesn’t allow for any other aspects of the beer to come through. Taste is also dominated by the sweetness and doesn’t allow much else to come through. I didn’t notice any large hops presence which could have mitigated some of the sweetness. Average body with some medium-low carbonation. Definitely not something that I feel the need to revisit anytime soon.

2.53/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a dark brown to mahagany coloration. The head was high and a off ruby white coloration. The head was short lived. The beer tried to leave lacing behind in a desperate sort of fashion.

Smell: Sweet carmelly maltyness with small amounts of spicyness trying to pull the beer together.

Taste: This beer is very malty sweet. There is just a decided lack of balance with this beer. Undefinable sugary fruityness competes with not enough hoppy spicyness. In short I hate the taste.

Mouthfeel: This is almost meduim bodied beer that strives to be bigger. If there was more hops or more carbonation it may be better. Perhaps cellaring would help? Hell I am mostly convinced nothing could save this beer.

Drinkability: For me this beer is almost undrinkable. Nearing to sweet with not enough balancing factors.

I was sucked into Flying Dog by Gonzo Porter. Gonzo Porter is not representative of Flying Dog products.

Horn Dog Barley Wine Style Ale from Flying Dog Brewery