Double Dog Double Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Double Dog Double Pale AleDouble Dog Double Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 03-08-2007)

sendbeer, Nov 01, 2012

Kenneth757, Monday at 09:27 AM
1.15/5  rDev -70.6%

Got this cool seven ounce bottle from Chris in a recent trade. Thanks again for the generosity!

Poured this right down the middle into a tulip. Only a thin layer of head on top of a murky copper body. This has a very malty aroma and I can't really get any hops. The aroma makes me think of burnt spoiled citrus. Every time I stick my nose in this I feel like I'm punishing myself. Ugh! I'm not going to finish this. This seven ounce bottle is to much. I can taste a bit of hops with a heavy malt body. Spoiled candied orange. That's what this reminds me of. Sweet and spoiled. I generally try to find the good in beers but redeeming qualities seem to be tough to come by on this one. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with light carbonation and the drinkability is nonexistent. I took about two sips of this and I'm calling it quits. Flying dog is usually decent for me but this is an absolute flop.

Bendurgin, Sep 02, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -64.7%

Bottle poured into tall glass.

A= Gorgeous amber/red color with frothy head and lots of lacing

S=Grapefruit scent, no malt detectable

T= Awfully overhopped, terrible aftertaste, and overpowering astringent alcohol flavor, as if someone spiked this beer with about three shots of nasty grain alcohol. The aftertaste is like you swished your mouth with rubbing alcohol. VERY skunky.

M=A little thick, but it's hard to keep this stuff in your mouth, period.

D=Impossible. This was a drain pour.

bcgoldtoe, Aug 26, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -64.2%

As for appearance, this beer is a nice amber, with a light head. The smell is a bit hoppy and filled with alcohol- gives a bit of a tingle to your nose. This beer tastes like it is 11.5% abv and that is not a good thing. Instead of strong and complex hop flavor, I got medicinal tastes likely from the high alcohol content. The mouthfeel was sticky and aftertaste lingers on the tongue. You want to open your mouth after you take a sip if that makes any sense. I found this completely undrinkable and I generally like the style.

shieldsy, Sep 14, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

cosmonick, May 19, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -61.6%

towlea25, Jan 07, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -58.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Color is a tawny orange and amber with a 1/4 inch medium density head. Head is a bit darker than a typical pale ale. (Doesn't this beg the question: Is a double pale really an ipa? Or, is a double ipa really a quad pa?) Sniff: Alcohol, alcohol, and more alcohol. Tiny bit of hop pungency but its all masked by all the sweetness. I'm unimpressed. First sip reveals turpentine and.... turpentine. There is no middle, no beginning, no end. Just one note pinesol, aspirin-like flavor and a boatload of alcohol heat. Yep, this will be in the drain before I hit "submit" on this review. What's the deal with Flying Dog. Other than their heffe, I can't think of a decent beer they make... A disgraceful craft brew and the epitome of everything that CAN be wrong with making big beers. I wouldn't shake the hand of the man who made this. Someone pass the coors light...

0tt0, Sep 01, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -50.1%

Granted, being a beer lover in good ol SC meant waiting a long time before we could legally sample these high-octane ABV beers. So, maybe this review may come with a certain bias based in being naive to the style. Enough excuses, let's get down to business....the review. My friend warned me that this tastes like grapefruit. Well, yes and no. I think the taste was a bit better and I was happy to find it didn't taste exactly like grapefruit. What it did taste like was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. Very bitter too. After a few sips I wondered if I could drink another of these or even if I could finish the one I had. Let's say that the taste of this one I could pass on. The mouthfeel was thick and sticky with a VERY bitter aftertaste. Smell was so-so. Not bad but not really very inviting. I did manage to drink the one I had and managed to slug another one down, thinking maybe it gets better the more you drink it. Well, it doesn't. The only thing this has going for it, is the ABV which is high and will get you buzzed quickly, if that's your thing. Not a brew I plan on picking up again.

bigpatvoodoodad, May 25, 2007

earlholman, Apr 21, 2014

Gilbert80, Aug 25, 2014

zeledonia, Nov 15, 2011

Brew33, Nov 17, 2011

vbiliyar, Apr 13, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, dark amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very estery initially, suggesting mixed fruit including some prominent dark citrus. The presence of carbon dioxide vapors become heavy as the early fruit loses its edge, while grain complexity never really shows up save for a weak and monotone thread that suggests sweetness. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins very sweet, with an intense combination of caramel and vinous fruit. Thick crystal malt and cherry fruit emerges as it warms. Early flavors yield to even more intense spicy acidity, resetting the palate in an unfavorable way. Astringency and volatile alcohol develop in the middle, repellant and medicinal. Bitterness starts off bracing in the finish, becoming oppressive as it lingers in relentless fashion. Aside from the bitter there is little in the way of distinctive hop flavor.

M: Medium viscosity, acidity burns aggressively on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Hardly a DIPA, this is more of a clumsy and challenging strong ale that is best viewed and passed over from a distance. While it has distinctive qualities, they are not the kinds that fans of pale ales generally go in search of. Consider drinking six ounces and moving on.

beagle75, Aug 07, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -46.3%

The appearance on this beer is the best part. Poured it into a westmalle goblet, color is a nice amber color with a good sized head and lacing. The smell..well, I didn't get a whole lot from the smell other than a hint of grapefruit and a whole lot of alcohol. The taste is similar. A bit of grapefruit followed by some lingering bitterness and HEAT. My god, the heat. This is one hot DIPA. If you are into that sort of thing, you might enjoy this beer. It also seemed far too sweet to me, even for 11.5%. More malt than I like in an DIPA as well. I drank about half of the 12 oz bottle and poured the rest. I don't drain pour often, but I just did not like this beer at all.

atowle25, Apr 08, 2011

2.33/5  rDev -40.4%

On Tap (Nitro)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful auburn and brown with a thin, airy, light brown cap. Incredible sheets and rings of lacing down the glass.

A strong, potent aroma consisting of sweet, caramel malt and pungent grapefruit and orange. Some alcohol heat as well, as can be expected at this ABV.

Though the beer looks incredible, and smells good as well, I can't stand the way it tastes. It's remarkably bitter and incredibly harsh with alcohol. The powerful alcohol and chemical taste is strong from sip to swallow. There's some bready and caramel sweetness hidden underneath, but very few enjoyable flavors are present. It's listed as a DIPA, though this beer seems to have far more in common with a barleywine. That being said, this doesn't make for a good barleywine, either. This is my fourth time having this beer, and my third different serving type, and I've never finished my serving whether it be from bottle, tap, or nitro.

Medium bodied with smooth, nitro-style carbonation throughout, though incredibly harsh with alcohol. Tough to swallow.

Not for me.

ehammond1, Aug 17, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -39.9%

A: a bunch of junk in there. No head. Copper brown funk.

S: Raw hops crushed in your hand.

T: Floral super hoppiness takes a turn for the worse. The hops aren't balanced out with anything. tastes and smells a bit like rancid rose water. Maybe i got a bad batch. I'll have to try this one again if someone passes me a bottle. Not so bad if you take tiny sips, but i want to drink my beer not sip it like spirits.

M: light to medium kind of watery with lost of carbonation.

D: Not good deetle cheetle.

baos, Nov 12, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

I bought this as part of the Flying Dog 4 pack sampler. I was highly dissappointed by this beer.

A. Amber and clear, little head

S. Sweet, alcohol, fruit

T. Tasted overdone, more isn't always better. Too much sweet and alcohol taste. Hops did not blend well with such a thick, syrupy beer.

M. Average

D. One was enough. I will not purchase this beer again.

This could have been a good brew if it was not so overdone. Maybe with a lower alcohol content it migh have been better. The ingredients did not blend well for me, and definitely did not go with food.

deanwilson, Nov 15, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours a cloudy orange amber color with lasting creamy off white head. Smell is hoppy, fruity, and alcohol is lightly noticeable, which I don't like. Taste is big alcohol flavor followed by hops, and touch of sweetness. Overall the alcohol taste is not just barely present, but extremely noticeable, and it really ruins this beer for me. Beer for the most part should go down easily, and not be a struggle like you're drinking a strong mixed drink. Wasn't overly bitter from the high IBUs. Was disappointed by this especially since their regular pale ale is great, I thought.
-Worth a rerate now though.

JDV, Feb 06, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

As one who is a big fan hoped up brews it is with trepadation that I write this review. I realize that it is a Double IPA but this is is out of whack and overdone. It looks ver;y nice poured into a glass (ugly flying dog bottle aside). A cloudy amber color with a big thick staying head. The smell has tons of citrus hop tones to it but the alcohol is noticable. Very little harmony with the flavor. Hard core hops which I usually like but the alcohol kick in the ass afterward makes me cringe. When people talk of over the top beers this should be one of the first mentioned.

ttu94, Sep 14, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -38.1%

A. Deep amber, served in a stone IPA glass. Not much head, but it seem to stay and linger well.

S. Not much here. Seems to overwhelm with almost a sweet malt smell. A bit of a stale aroma going on as well. Perhaps some hops are involved in that as well. Almost a vanilla/caramel smell coming here. Not enough hops imo, but the taste is the question.

T. This is an interesting beer. With a big IPA you get a strong malt finish to balance a strong hop character. Here there is an overwhelming amount of malt, a lot of caramel with a slight hop finish. Piny hops much like a stone barely wine, but the malt comes on a bit stronger and lingers at the end instead of the hops.

M. Thick...really really thick. The carbonation is almost overwhelmed by the THICK beers.

D. This is a sipper but for some reason it doesn't jump out as that by the flavors given off.

I've always felt that double IPAs were more balanced than IPAs. They often have huge amounts of malt and ultimately imo are at least close to balanced. I haven't had their barely wine yet, but this tastes like one to me. It's got too much malt without the hops to really blend it together. It's hard to judge a "double pale ale" as i think this is the only one I've tried, but it doesn't work like it should. Worth trying? No question! A great beer? Sorry this one seems to fail.

11.5% alcohol is well hidden, but that's thanks to way way too much sweet malt. They took the idea of not being overly hoppy way too far. Sad as their seems to be far too much potential in this beer.

bobhits, Aug 13, 2008
2.44/5  rDev -37.6%

Letall.

S- Not much scents. I mainly smell a generic hop smell and some light booze. Faint faint faint smell of citrus? (Maybe?)

T- much of a letdown. Not mad at flying dog because I love their other beers. But wtf is up with this? It tastes like a very cheap generic hop like taste and booze. That's it :(

M- same as taste. Lingering alcohol and generic hops. DONT GET ME WRONG. I SEEK AND I MEAN SEEEK high alcohol brews but this tastes awful I'm sorry. Harsh and just kind of generic

O- I mean don't get me wrong. If you want to get hammered get this beer. I drank 3 and feel great but it was somewhat of a struggle to drink them. I almost had to chase it with something it is that harsh. This is not a go to beer for me and is not enjoyable. But ur is a great value at $16 a 6er being 11.5% alcohol by volume. But that's about it. Not a good example of a double IPA at all. If you want to get hammered get this because of the value but for gods sake and again I'm not dissing on you flying dog please improve this beer for next year. It is very hard to drink :(.. and that's crazy because I love love love IPA beers. They are my FAVORITE style. I love hoppy bitter beers but please improve this :(

bman13, May 03, 2014