1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Dog Double Pale Ale - Flying Dog Brewery

Double Dog Double Pale AleDouble Dog Double Pale Ale

Flying Dog Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 03-08-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,507 | Reviews: 934 | Show All Ratings:
Bendurgin

Maine

1.15/5  rDev -70.6%

Got this cool seven ounce bottle from Chris in a recent trade. Thanks again for the generosity!

Poured this right down the middle into a tulip. Only a thin layer of head on top of a murky copper body. This has a very malty aroma and I can't really get any hops. The aroma makes me think of burnt spoiled citrus. Every time I stick my nose in this I feel like I'm punishing myself. Ugh! I'm not going to finish this. This seven ounce bottle is to much. I can taste a bit of hops with a heavy malt body. Spoiled candied orange. That's what this reminds me of. Sweet and spoiled. I generally try to find the good in beers but redeeming qualities seem to be tough to come by on this one. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with light carbonation and the drinkability is nonexistent. I took about two sips of this and I'm calling it quits. Flying dog is usually decent for me but this is an absolute flop.

09-02-2010 18:56:21 | More by Bendurgin
bcgoldtoe

1.38/5  rDev -64.7%

Bottle poured into tall glass.

A= Gorgeous amber/red color with frothy head and lots of lacing

S=Grapefruit scent, no malt detectable

T= Awfully overhopped, terrible aftertaste, and overpowering astringent alcohol flavor, as if someone spiked this beer with about three shots of nasty grain alcohol. The aftertaste is like you swished your mouth with rubbing alcohol. VERY skunky.

M=A little thick, but it's hard to keep this stuff in your mouth, period.

D=Impossible. This was a drain pour.

08-26-2007 20:50:35 | More by bcgoldtoe
shieldsy

1.4/5  rDev -64.2%

As for appearance, this beer is a nice amber, with a light head. The smell is a bit hoppy and filled with alcohol- gives a bit of a tingle to your nose. This beer tastes like it is 11.5% abv and that is not a good thing. Instead of strong and complex hop flavor, I got medicinal tastes likely from the high alcohol content. The mouthfeel was sticky and aftertaste lingers on the tongue. You want to open your mouth after you take a sip if that makes any sense. I found this completely undrinkable and I generally like the style.

09-14-2009 19:41:16 | More by shieldsy
0tt0

Georgia

1.63/5  rDev -58.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Color is a tawny orange and amber with a 1/4 inch medium density head. Head is a bit darker than a typical pale ale. (Doesn't this beg the question: Is a double pale really an ipa? Or, is a double ipa really a quad pa?) Sniff: Alcohol, alcohol, and more alcohol. Tiny bit of hop pungency but its all masked by all the sweetness. I'm unimpressed. First sip reveals turpentine and.... turpentine. There is no middle, no beginning, no end. Just one note pinesol, aspirin-like flavor and a boatload of alcohol heat. Yep, this will be in the drain before I hit "submit" on this review. What's the deal with Flying Dog. Other than their heffe, I can't think of a decent beer they make... A disgraceful craft brew and the epitome of everything that CAN be wrong with making big beers. I wouldn't shake the hand of the man who made this. Someone pass the coors light...

09-01-2007 00:15:47 | More by 0tt0
bigpatvoodoodad

South Carolina

1.95/5  rDev -50.1%

Granted, being a beer lover in good ol SC meant waiting a long time before we could legally sample these high-octane ABV beers. So, maybe this review may come with a certain bias based in being naive to the style. Enough excuses, let's get down to business....the review. My friend warned me that this tastes like grapefruit. Well, yes and no. I think the taste was a bit better and I was happy to find it didn't taste exactly like grapefruit. What it did taste like was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. Very bitter too. After a few sips I wondered if I could drink another of these or even if I could finish the one I had. Let's say that the taste of this one I could pass on. The mouthfeel was thick and sticky with a VERY bitter aftertaste. Smell was so-so. Not bad but not really very inviting. I did manage to drink the one I had and managed to slug another one down, thinking maybe it gets better the more you drink it. Well, it doesn't. The only thing this has going for it, is the ABV which is high and will get you buzzed quickly, if that's your thing. Not a brew I plan on picking up again.

05-25-2007 13:54:35 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
beagle75

Iowa

2.05/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, dark amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very estery initially, suggesting mixed fruit including some prominent dark citrus. The presence of carbon dioxide vapors become heavy as the early fruit loses its edge, while grain complexity never really shows up save for a weak and monotone thread that suggests sweetness. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins very sweet, with an intense combination of caramel and vinous fruit. Thick crystal malt and cherry fruit emerges as it warms. Early flavors yield to even more intense spicy acidity, resetting the palate in an unfavorable way. Astringency and volatile alcohol develop in the middle, repellant and medicinal. Bitterness starts off bracing in the finish, becoming oppressive as it lingers in relentless fashion. Aside from the bitter there is little in the way of distinctive hop flavor.

M: Medium viscosity, acidity burns aggressively on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Hardly a DIPA, this is more of a clumsy and challenging strong ale that is best viewed and passed over from a distance. While it has distinctive qualities, they are not the kinds that fans of pale ales generally go in search of. Consider drinking six ounces and moving on.

08-07-2011 00:38:53 | More by beagle75
atowle25

Washington

2.1/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

The appearance on this beer is the best part. Poured it into a westmalle goblet, color is a nice amber color with a good sized head and lacing. The smell..well, I didn't get a whole lot from the smell other than a hint of grapefruit and a whole lot of alcohol. The taste is similar. A bit of grapefruit followed by some lingering bitterness and HEAT. My god, the heat. This is one hot DIPA. If you are into that sort of thing, you might enjoy this beer. It also seemed far too sweet to me, even for 11.5%. More malt than I like in an DIPA as well. I drank about half of the 12 oz bottle and poured the rest. I don't drain pour often, but I just did not like this beer at all.

04-08-2011 15:43:00 | More by atowle25
ehammond1

2.33/5  rDev -40.4%

On Tap (Nitro)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

A beautiful auburn and brown with a thin, airy, light brown cap. Incredible sheets and rings of lacing down the glass.

A strong, potent aroma consisting of sweet, caramel malt and pungent grapefruit and orange. Some alcohol heat as well, as can be expected at this ABV.

Though the beer looks incredible, and smells good as well, I can't stand the way it tastes. It's remarkably bitter and incredibly harsh with alcohol. The powerful alcohol and chemical taste is strong from sip to swallow. There's some bready and caramel sweetness hidden underneath, but very few enjoyable flavors are present. It's listed as a DIPA, though this beer seems to have far more in common with a barleywine. That being said, this doesn't make for a good barleywine, either. This is my fourth time having this beer, and my third different serving type, and I've never finished my serving whether it be from bottle, tap, or nitro.

Medium bodied with smooth, nitro-style carbonation throughout, though incredibly harsh with alcohol. Tough to swallow.

Not for me.

Serving type: nitro-tap

08-17-2011 16:31:54 | More by ehammond1
baos

Indiana

2.35/5  rDev -39.9%

A: a bunch of junk in there. No head. Copper brown funk.

S: Raw hops crushed in your hand.

T: Floral super hoppiness takes a turn for the worse. The hops aren't balanced out with anything. tastes and smells a bit like rancid rose water. Maybe i got a bad batch. I'll have to try this one again if someone passes me a bottle. Not so bad if you take tiny sips, but i want to drink my beer not sip it like spirits.

M: light to medium kind of watery with lost of carbonation.

D: Not good deetle cheetle.

11-12-2007 23:24:53 | More by baos
ttu94

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

As one who is a big fan hoped up brews it is with trepadation that I write this review. I realize that it is a Double IPA but this is is out of whack and overdone. It looks ver;y nice poured into a glass (ugly flying dog bottle aside). A cloudy amber color with a big thick staying head. The smell has tons of citrus hop tones to it but the alcohol is noticable. Very little harmony with the flavor. Hard core hops which I usually like but the alcohol kick in the ass afterward makes me cringe. When people talk of over the top beers this should be one of the first mentioned.

09-14-2007 03:55:55 | More by ttu94
JDV

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours a cloudy orange amber color with lasting creamy off white head. Smell is hoppy, fruity, and alcohol is lightly noticeable, which I don't like. Taste is big alcohol flavor followed by hops, and touch of sweetness. Overall the alcohol taste is not just barely present, but extremely noticeable, and it really ruins this beer for me. Beer for the most part should go down easily, and not be a struggle like you're drinking a strong mixed drink. Wasn't overly bitter from the high IBUs. Was disappointed by this especially since their regular pale ale is great, I thought.
-Worth a rerate now though.

02-06-2008 23:01:01 | More by JDV
deanwilson

2.4/5  rDev -38.6%

I bought this as part of the Flying Dog 4 pack sampler. I was highly dissappointed by this beer.

A. Amber and clear, little head

S. Sweet, alcohol, fruit

T. Tasted overdone, more isn't always better. Too much sweet and alcohol taste. Hops did not blend well with such a thick, syrupy beer.

M. Average

D. One was enough. I will not purchase this beer again.

This could have been a good brew if it was not so overdone. Maybe with a lower alcohol content it migh have been better. The ingredients did not blend well for me, and definitely did not go with food.

11-15-2008 23:33:25 | More by deanwilson
bobhits

Kentucky

2.42/5  rDev -38.1%

A. Deep amber, served in a stone IPA glass. Not much head, but it seem to stay and linger well.

S. Not much here. Seems to overwhelm with almost a sweet malt smell. A bit of a stale aroma going on as well. Perhaps some hops are involved in that as well. Almost a vanilla/caramel smell coming here. Not enough hops imo, but the taste is the question.

T. This is an interesting beer. With a big IPA you get a strong malt finish to balance a strong hop character. Here there is an overwhelming amount of malt, a lot of caramel with a slight hop finish. Piny hops much like a stone barely wine, but the malt comes on a bit stronger and lingers at the end instead of the hops.

M. Thick...really really thick. The carbonation is almost overwhelmed by the THICK beers.

D. This is a sipper but for some reason it doesn't jump out as that by the flavors given off.

I've always felt that double IPAs were more balanced than IPAs. They often have huge amounts of malt and ultimately imo are at least close to balanced. I haven't had their barely wine yet, but this tastes like one to me. It's got too much malt without the hops to really blend it together. It's hard to judge a "double pale ale" as i think this is the only one I've tried, but it doesn't work like it should. Worth trying? No question! A great beer? Sorry this one seems to fail.

11.5% alcohol is well hidden, but that's thanks to way way too much sweet malt. They took the idea of not being overly hoppy way too far. Sad as their seems to be far too much potential in this beer.

08-13-2008 01:26:02 | More by bobhits
jujubeast6000

2.45/5  rDev -37.3%

Reviewed 10/12/2007 (bottle):

Pours an amber light brown colored body, very clear. Has a big foamy off-white head, with good lacing, is somewhat lasting. Very hoppy aroma, piney. Stron piney-malty taste, very bitter aftertaste. Very unbalanced taste.

02-19-2009 03:21:16 | More by jujubeast6000
Vierenner

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

Doesn't seem balanced to me -- too hoppy.

I really don't want to write anymore about this beer but the requirements of beer advocate require a comment to be at least 250 characters. Had I liked this beer I would have been happy to write much more about it.

10-02-2010 21:06:58 | More by Vierenner
olilitewu

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -35.3%

I usually don't write overwhelmingly negative reviews, but for this one i feel compelled to.
This beer is the second beer I tried from this brewery (the other being raging bitch, which i didn't like either). This beer is available from my bodega.

This beer looks ok, and smells ok, and the good news ends here.

With a complete lack of aroma, this beer is fully bitter, with harsh alcoholic under tone. Although the bitterness is overwhelming, there is a lack of distinguishable profile (e.g sierra nevada). Also, the bitterness is not supported by the beer's lack of body. I guess one can say there is a hint of orange peel (?), but it is complete overwhelmed by the bitterness and alcoholic content.

Verdict: drinking this beer is like eating under-seasoned meat at a fancy restaurant; I really don't get why this beer gets such a favorable review thus far. (well, I guess it is admirable for an IPA to attempt an 11.5% alcohol content...But if I wanted abv, compared to this, I'd rather drink grain liquor)

01-14-2014 05:23:13 | More by olilitewu
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

2.65/5  rDev -32.2%

This beer puzzles me. I think as an American barleywine this would be better in my review of it most likely.

Has a pretty nitro look and lots of great spotted lacing on the glass, super smooth dark orange hue. Smell isn't totally present and has a little soap overtone to it and A little bit of unitergrsted raw hop. The taste has a huge toffee sweet malt note and some lingering dry bitterness. Caramel sweet and fruity almost. A little sickly and over alcohol-ed in a way that gets sickly on the palate quick. Has a marshmallow to it too. Wired and bizarre, seems like it's an iced pale ale or something, surely does not seem brewed to be a dipa.

Serving type: nitro-tap

08-27-2011 01:55:48 | More by Dreadnaught33
bboven

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

Others have noted all the subtle flavors I tasted in the first instant this beer was in my mouth So I won’t elaborate. However, there is an aftertaste of alcohol that makes it seem as though someone poured a shot of chhheeaapp liquor in every bottle. It ruined the beer for me, as I can mix a boilermaker on my own. I expected a nine dollar four-pack to be a lot tastier than this.

07-25-2007 01:26:39 | More by bboven
tone77

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of mild hops, a touch of citrus. Nothing mild about the taste. This is a hop bomb. Overpowering taste of hops with some alcohol. Feels bitter in the mouth and one of these was plenty for me. Overall if you like extreme hops give it a try, otherwise avoid it.

02-17-2010 14:42:02 | More by tone77
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked up a single of this one as its a fairly new addition to my area...

This one pours a reddish golden... Quickly forming head that disappears just as fast... A bit of a haze to this one as well...

Lots of booze evident right up front in the aromas... The hoppiness that everyone else was getting is here but not as pungent as I was hoping... There's a caramel like maltiness to the aroma as well but I have to say that most of what I'm getting is the 11% here...almost like I'd thrown a shot of vodka in this.

Sweet toffee-like maltiness and booze on the first sip mingle with a sharp raw hoppiness that finishes long and bitter... The booziness really seems to be affecting this one... Were this 8%, the flavors of the brew might come through better but the fusel alcohol overrides everything else going on... Unfortunate... It really hurts the score on this one... At least to me...

Well... Not what I was hoping for here... The high ABV really knocked this one down the charts for me... I just couldn't get past the heat on this...

09-15-2010 13:09:32 | More by Tilley4
goochpunch

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours out a copper amber with a thick and sturdy frothy head that stays all the way down to the glass and leaves sheets of lace. Hop aromas are resinous and end up fighting for prominence against the heavily toasty malts. Alcohol is pretty well heard in the mix. Flavor is extremely sweet with hop flavors bringing lots of orange oil flavors to the fore along with heavy fruity esters. Gets toasty in the middle, and, as the finish comes around, the alcohol shows itself in heat and mild medicinal flavors. Astringent bitterness comes in the finish as well. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, and almost numbing from the booze. The booze definitely needs to mellow out on this one. This beer is just messy all around.

09-28-2007 03:19:29 | More by goochpunch
RJLarse

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

I bought a couple bottles of Double Dog at an upscale grocery. Poured in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a rich copper/bronze color and is cloudy. A creamy off-white head forms and is very resilient with some lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is strong, pungent and acerbic. There is a strong pine aroma and some sour citrus sells.

The taste is not particularly good. It's got a lot of malt presence up front, but the finish is overly bitter, with some alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy and cloying.

Not the most drinkable beer, and I think calling it a pale ale, double or otherwise is a disservice. It doesn't say IPA on the bottle, but that is probably more representative of the style. It's a really overhopped, dry, hot, hard drinking brew. It reminds me of Full Sail Wreck the Halls. I'd pass on this one again.

09-03-2007 04:08:31 | More by RJLarse
Offa

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

This is ok, somewhat enjoyable but rather bland, extremely simple, one-dimensional, and a little rough. Ultimately, it's uninteresting, boring, and tiresome, heavily laying on a lot of heavy, cirtusy-syrupy blandness. Ramping up the alcohol without being subtle, and mixing a mass of sharp, citrusy hops in a sweet syrup does not equal a good beer to me, whether it's supposed to be a double IPA or not. To each his own, but this is a dud to me.

Pale copper, faintly orange, it has a medium-large pale tan head that thins steadily to a thin foamy top.

Aroma is caramelized orange, orange flowers, a little grapefruit, stewed golden raisins, and light hint of bread dough. It's fairly pleasant and full, but lacks any semblance of complexity or interest, is clearly crude and rough, and is is blunt, unimaginitive, and very standard.

Taste has strong, somewhat sweet, fiery alcohol up front like very bland, cheap blended Scotch mixed with a little simple syrup. Light orange, grapefruit and raisin then become evident, still hot and a little spicey, before a light aftertaste of bitter, slightly sharp grapefruit and sweetness. It's ok, somewhat enjoyable, but offering very little for the strength, etc. it beomces very tiresome very fast.

10-07-2009 23:47:12 | More by Offa
mkostuch

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Color is dark copper almost red. Not much foam.

This is a very bitter beer up front. There is a sweetness in the middle with a very distinct alcohol taste at the end.

I like the bitterness but the alcohol at the end doesn't do it for me. With the amount of alcohol in this beer it is a one and done. You definitely feel it.

12-08-2010 03:45:18 | More by mkostuch
Reaper16

Alabama

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a darker-than-expected sort of fulvous color. It's very clear; no hop haze at all. Two fingers of buttermilk colored head form, and what a creamy head it is. Medium-sized bubbles, thick clumps of lacing. Good looking beer.

I can tell right off the bat that this beer isn't the freshest. So take my review with that particular caveat. The sweet malt absolutely dominates the nose on this bottle. Sugary sweet caramel malt supersedes any other aroma. There are some hops here, and they show with a bit of cherry and a fair amount of resin. There's also a rusty sort of coppery aroma, like someone dumped a couple of pennies into my glass. No depth of aroma, even considering its age.

This beer actually fares better with respect to its flavor, but only because it approximates an American Barleywine at this point. Let me be clear: a Double Dog at this age is a terrible double IPA. But Flying Dog's website says that the Canis Major beers, Double Dog included, can age several years, so I feel fine reviewing this. Again, this is pretty much a barleywine at this point. An average, serviceable barleywine at that. Caramel malt for days, some sugary sweet malt undertones underneath the caramel too. A bit of sweetness as well from the alcohol. It isn't harsh in terms of heat, but there's plenty of sherry-like booziness. Some toasty breadcrust flavors on the finish to round out the alcohol. This isn't an especially good barleywine, but it isn't a bad one, either.

The mouthfeel on this beer is big and thick and, Jesus, if this were a fresh IIPA then I would haaate how thick it is. It's size is complimentary for the flavors that it displays at the age that I'm drinking it at, but overall it isn't anything special. Overall, I'm going to score it a 3.0 because it isn't a terrible barleywine like thing. It doesn't taste like it'd be a very good fresh IIPA, but that is admittedly conjecture. So there you have it: as far as old IIPAs go, it could get a whole lot worse than this.

06-07-2011 04:28:34 | More by Reaper16